2016 QB: If No Fitz, The Position MUST be Open Competition

Warfish

Thread title says it all.

If, as news continues out of Jets land continues to lean, Fitz is not going to be (or not able to be) resigned, then we go into 2016 with Geno Smith, Bryce Petty and the Hack.

If that is the case, such is life.  I, and I think most, Jets Fans can accept that and understand Macc, that Fitz was being unreal with his 16 mil demands (he is), and in being unwilling to come down to reality, the decision was made by Fitz, not the Jets, to not come back.

Fine.

But moving forward, with Geno, Petty and Hack, the Jets simply cannot and should not annoint any one of them the starter without having to win the job, on the field, this coming camp/pre-season.  No chance in hell.

Geno Smith has not earned the right.  He didn't earn it when he was drafted, and his play to-date hasn't earned it.

Neither, it should be said, has Petty.

So lets do what we seemingly havn't done is a decade or more......actually allow the three QB's we have to compete, on an even, fair, non-predetermined basis, and see who actually wins the job.

Then we go from there.  Winner plays, the others sit and backup, and 2017 decisions will be based on how 2016 plays out.

It's not how I would have preferred things to go, but it's the only way they should go now (with no Fitz) going forward.

What say you?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It should be an open competition regardless. Fitz was getting smoked by Geno during training camp, on top of the fact that 12 months ago Fitz was a backup. He didnt suddenly change into a franchise QB.

Remove the feelings and have a competition in order to know that we're putting the best QB on the field. Hackenberg should not be part of the competition. He's the 3rd stringer.

the Jets have had a long tradition of claiming an open competition and then anointing a QB. They did it with Sanchez, they did it with Geno, and I'm not holding my breath for these guys to do the right thing. 

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the Jets have had a long tradition of claiming an open competition and then anointing a QB. They did it with Sanchez, they did it with Geno, and I'm not holding my breath for these guys to do the right thing. 

Different administration my friend.  We have to hold out hope they don't play by Rex Ryan rules on this point.

16 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

It should be an open competition regardless. Fitz was getting smoked by Geno during training camp, on top of the fact that 12 months ago Fitz was a backup. He didnt suddenly change into a franchise QB.

Remove the feelings and have a competition in order to know that we're putting the best QB on the field. Hackenberg should not be part of the competition. He's the 3rd stringer.

lol

44 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If, as news continues out of Jets land continues to lean, Fitz is not going to be (or not able to be) resigned, then we go into 2016 with Geno Smith, Bryce Petty and the Hack.

If that is the case, such is life.  I, and I think most, Jets Fans can accept that and understand Macc, that Fitz was being unreal with his 16 mil demands (he is), and in being unwilling to come down to reality, the decision was made by Fitz, not the Jets, to not come back.

Fine.

But moving forward, with Geno, Petty and Hack, the Jets simply cannot and should not annoint any one of them the starter without having to win the job, on the field, this coming camp/pre-season.  No chance in hell.

Geno Smith has not earned the right.  He didn't earn it when he was drafted, and his play to-date hasn't earned it.

So lets do what we seemingly havn't done is a decade or more......actually allow the three QB's we have to compete, on an even, fair, non-predetermined basis, and see who actually wins the job.

Then we go from there.  Winner plays, the others sit and backup, and 2017 decisions will be based on how 2016 plays out.

It's not how I would have preferred things to go, but it's the only way they should go now (with no Fitz) going forward.

What say you?

as much as I don't want geno to start without winning a competition against a real competitor, I just don't see geno losing to hack or petty. not by a long shot

30 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Without Fitz it's going to be like watching the special olympics. 

At least in the Special Olympics, they get to the finish line. Fitz is 0 for 11 trying to get to the finish line. As Jerry Garcia sang so many years ago..." he's gone, and nothings gonna bring him back." So long Fitz.

I agree to a point, but I don't know if I would want Hack on the field.

That guy was staring at the rush by the end of his Penn. tenure, it's gonna be a while for him to get his confidence up. Don't throw him in the wolves and pound the ball. Not with Decker and Marshall, and Devin Smith stretching the field. We have to face it we are a team that passes more than rushes

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

My bad if I came off defensive. I didnt notice the humor in the original post. Forgive me. :-)

you are forgiven. now lets get back to taking turns sh*tting on geno and fitz:D

the jets would be better off giving all the reps to geno. 

the competition would be for the back-up job

I am no fan of geno, but pretending petty or krackenberg is ready to challenge him is silly

I'm  hopeful that Hackenberg is a rookie phenom, but I'm assuming Geno will win that competition. It'll be interesting to see what he can do with actual NFL talent at the skill positions.

55 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

I agree to a point, but I don't know if I would want Hack on the field.

That guy was staring at the rush by the end of his Penn. tenure, it's gonna be a while for him to get his confidence up. Don't throw him in the wolves and pound the ball. Not with Decker and Marshall, and Devin Smith stretching the field. We have to face it we are a team that passes more than rushes

I agree. I'm fine with a Geno vs. Petty competition. I don't want Hack out there at all unless he's somehow channeling a rookie Russell Wilson. 

Agree on the competition and while I would prefer Hack to sit and learn the reality is unless someone emerges or Fitx resigns, the Jets will select a QB with their own top ten draft pick and the rest will be fighting for a backup spot or auditioning for the next team

I also think the competition would include another scrap heap FA QB or two, Foles will hit the market at some point...

7 minutes ago, slats said:

I agree. I'm fine with a Geno vs. Petty competition. I don't want Hack out there at all unless he's somehow channeling a rookie Russell Wilson. 

Kid is most comfortable in a pro style offense,  is smart,  is willing to spend the time needed to learn and has the weapons on offense to make the transition smoother. 

I also have faith that they won't start him until he's ready.  Playing the Bengals week 1 would be tough for anyone.  

Name Geno number 1 heading into camp and let hack unseat him.  

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Fine.

What say you?

Great post. Will not pick a favorite with a fair compatition the winner should have the full support of the players and fans.

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

REX had a long tradition of claiming an open competition and then anointing a QB. REX did it with Sanchez, REX did it with Geno, and I'm not holding my breath for these guys to do the right thing. 

Fixed

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Without Fitz it's going to be like watching the special olympics. 

Kind of like the feeling I got watching Fitz try and throw the football in Buffalo week 17.  Kind of like watching one of Jerrys Kids fail over and over again.  All that was missing was the 800 number on the bottom of the screen

1 hour ago, St Louie Jet Fan said:

There are only so many reps in practice and preseason games. Are you saying that all 3 get the same amount? I just dont see that happening. True competition sounds great in theory. In the real world its not possible.

Insanity is doing the same thing (annointed Sanchez) over and over (annointed Geno) and expecting different results.

It's about time the starting QB of the New York Jets actually did something to EARN that position.

No one on our roster today has earned it.

I don't think I'm asking for too much here.

I'm all for an open competition, but behind the scenes, the Jets brass must praying to the football Gods that either Petty or Hackenberg take ownership of the #1 spot in training camp and in the preseason because as I've speculated before, I cannot believe that Mac and Bowles are going to hang their hats on Geno Smith, even if its only for this year. 

If they don't bring back Fitz, then it's basically a throw away year. Might as well see what Petty has, as Hackenberg won't be anywhere close, based on the majority of scouting reports. The Jets and everyone knows they aren't doing anything with Geno at the helm, so might as well throw Petty to the wolves. Sink or swim. 

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Insanity is doing the same thing (annointed Sanchez) over and over (annointed Geno) and expecting different results.

It's about time the starting QB of the New York Jets actually did something to EARN that position.

No one on our roster today has earned it.

I don't think I'm asking for too much here.

Coach Bowles told us last yr that you earn your playing time on this Jets team under his watch.  Thus far, would you say the man has lied ?

6 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

If they don't bring back Fitz, then it's basically a throw away year. Might as well see what Petty has, as Hackenberg won't be anywhere close, based on the majority of scouting reports. The Jets and everyone knows they aren't doing anything with Geno at the helm, so might as well throw Petty to the wolves. Sink or swim. 

A throw-away is if you don't start Geno. Remember he played well at the end of 2014 (just like he did in 2013). The throw-away year for Geno was in 2015. He played in only one game. It was the year he was either going to step up and become a legit starter or become a backup or fringe player or out of the league. So if push comes to shove I'd start Geno over the other two guys unless he's terrible in training camp. I think right now he gives us our best chance to win. But if he continues to make the same mistakes and doesn't improve I'd go later in the year to probably Hack. 

Archived