2016 QB: If No Fitz, The Position MUST be Open Competition

Warfish

13 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

A throw-away is if you don't start Geno. Remember he played well at the end of 2014 (just like he did in 2013). The throw-away year for Geno was in 2015. He played in only one game. It was the year he was either going to step up and become a legit starter or become a backup or fringe player or out of the league. So if push comes to shove I'd start Geno over the other two guys unless he's terrible in training camp. I think right now he gives us our best chance to win. But if he continues to make the same mistakes and doesn't improve I'd go later in the year to probably Hack. 

The Jets aren't making the playoffs with any of the three QBs as the starter. That's for sure. They don't benefit in any fashion by starting Geno. He's had three chances and blew them all. 

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

If they don't bring back Fitz, then it's basically a throw away year. Might as well see what Petty has, as Hackenberg won't be anywhere close, based on the majority of scouting reports. The Jets and everyone knows they aren't doing anything with Geno at the helm, so might as well throw Petty to the wolves. Sink or swim. 

It's WAY more of a throwaway year if Fitz starts. Way, way ****king more. Starting Fitz is the worst possible thing this team could do. It does nothing to help the rookies, we completely give up on Geno and we have the same questions marks going into next year. I want nothing of Fitz mentoring our young guys, he is a crappy, incredibly overrated player that people think is smart because of "harvard" but is actually very bad at understanding the QB position. The only way he has been successful is in a single read offense with jumbo receivers. Fuuck him. Start any of the three young guys. Only way to go

26 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The Jets aren't making the playoffs with any of the three QBs as the starter. That's for sure. They don't benefit in any fashion by starting Geno. He's had three chances and blew them all. 

The benefit is you don't rush your potential franchise quarterbacks before they are ready and make the same mistake you made with Geno.  I don't get it, the guy was good enough to help the team win 8 games as a rookie yet it is beyond the realm of possibility that he could have improved enough, with better weapons and better coaching to win at least 6-8 games or possibly 9 or 10. 

2 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

The benefit is you don't rush your potential franchise quarterbacks before they are ready and make the same mistake you made with Geno.  I don't get it, the guy was good enough to help the team win 8 games as a rookie yet it is beyond the realm of possibility that he could have improved enough, with better weapons and better coaching to win at least 6-8 games or possibly 9 or 10. 

I thought the schedule was too hard for anyone to win 9 or 10 games with? Petty has a year under his belt. Time to see what he's got. If the Jets are going with these three QBs and are hellbent on not being good, time to see if the QBs are worth their salt. Petty starts and if he stinks, get Hack ready for the last few weeks. 

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

It should be an open competition regardless. Fitz was getting smoked by Geno during training camp, on top of the fact that 12 months ago Fitz was a backup. He didnt suddenly change into a franchise QB.

Remove the feelings and have a competition in order to know that we're putting the best QB on the field. Hackenberg should not be part of the competition. He's the 3rd stringer.

I agree with everything excetp the part of Geno smoking Fitz in training camp. I did hear that Geno was doing better, but I think you exagerate a little bit. That is okay.

28 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

His inmaturity has been my biggest problem with him. If he can solve that, and he is proves in camp he is the best choice out of all 3, then give him the job. 

Couldn't agree more and I'll go you one step further....

Even if Fitz does resign, HE should be in an open competition. Whose to say that maybe one of the newbies isn't better than Fitz? Is it certain that Fitz is the best QB on the roster? Well, I believe so, but I also want to see it with my own two eyes.

Would not like to see petty or hack play this season. If no Fitz I'd have no problem playing geno and seeing if he's cleaned up his game. If he still sucks i'd bring in some other vet. I believe playing young qbs too soon can ruin them. 

If Fitz doesn't come back, (which would be one of the more bizarre episodes in even Jets' FO history)  My preference to start the season would be smith.  The first 7 games are going to be brutal.  I would much rather see smith get thrown to the wolves then one of the kids get maimed.  

11 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Kind of like the feeling I got watching Fitz try and throw the football in Buffalo week 17.  Kind of like watching one of Jerrys Kids fail over and over again.  All that was missing was the 800 number on the bottom of the screen

If we go with the QBs currently on the roster we're going to have an 800 number. 

11 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

If they don't bring back Fitz, then it's basically a throw away year. Might as well see what Petty has, as Hackenberg won't be anywhere close, based on the majority of scouting reports. The Jets and everyone knows they aren't doing anything with Geno at the helm, so might as well throw Petty to the wolves. Sink or swim. 

How is this a throw away year when we'll very very likely have a top 3 or 4 defense?   You doom and gloom guys should get over yourself and start rooting for this team.  

Generally I find myself in agreement with quite a lot of Warfish's ideas but in this case I think I am going to differ a little bit.

First of all I have always been strongly in favor of sitting down a young QB in order to give them time to absorb the pro game while not under fire.  I was in favor of that when many of the louder voices on these boards were on the other side of this discussion with respect both Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith.  I wonder if those voices would be quite so loud if we had a do over on those debates.  Anyhow I am still in favor of developing a young QB from the bench with respect to Hackenburg this year and probably with Bryce Petty as well given the "state of his game" coming out of college.  With all of that said and with again respect to Warfish's original post,  I am in favor of a time-limited competition between Smith and Petty in camp.  With all three of them there is a significant concern that the winner hasn't had all that many snaps in his NFL career to begin and with with this offense in particular.  The winner will probably need of a big majority of preseason and TC snaps to get ready for the season.

For that reason I think it is likely to be Smith (holds nose) unless Petty is killing it and we probably need to get to that point pretty quickly.

14 hours ago, Warfish said:

Thread title says it all.

If, as news continues out of Jets land continues to lean, Fitz is not going to be (or not able to be) resigned, then we go into 2016 with Geno Smith, Bryce Petty and the Hack.

If that is the case, such is life.  I, and I think most, Jets Fans can accept that and understand Macc, that Fitz was being unreal with his 16 mil demands (he is), and in being unwilling to come down to reality, the decision was made by Fitz, not the Jets, to not come back.

Fine.

But moving forward, with Geno, Petty and Hack, the Jets simply cannot and should not annoint any one of them the starter without having to win the job, on the field, this coming camp/pre-season.  No chance in hell.

Geno Smith has not earned the right.  He didn't earn it when he was drafted, and his play to-date hasn't earned it.

Neither, it should be said, has Petty.

So lets do what we seemingly havn't done is a decade or more......actually allow the three QB's we have to compete, on an even, fair, non-predetermined basis, and see who actually wins the job.

Then we go from there.  Winner plays, the others sit and backup, and 2017 decisions will be based on how 2016 plays out.

It's not how I would have preferred things to go, but it's the only way they should go now (with no Fitz) going forward.

What say you?

Agrred..... but all things being equal, you start the 4th yr. Vet as opposed to the young guys if no one distinguishes themself over the others.

Petty and Hack would have to blow Geno away to start the season at QB.

10 hours ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

I agree with everything excetp the part of Geno smoking Fitz in training camp. I did hear that Geno was doing better, but I think you exagerate a little bit. That is okay.

That was a meme started by supporters of Smith.  Repeat it often enough and loudly enough and it somehow becomes true.

11 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I thought the schedule was too hard for anyone to win 9 or 10 games with? Petty has a year under his belt. Time to see what he's got. If the Jets are going with these three QBs and are hellbent on not being good, time to see if the QBs are worth their salt. Petty starts and if he stinks, get Hack ready for the last few weeks. 

I never said that so don't put words in my mouth. That is why you play the games. So now you don't believe in competition? If Geno outplayed Petty you still start him?

To clarify, an honest, fair, open competition would most certainly (should) give a 4th year veteran an advantage over a 2nd year developmental project and a rookie with a very poor college resume of success.

And if that's how the competition plays out, that Geno wins handily, so be it.  He'll still have had to earn it.  That is what matters.

30 minutes ago, Warfish said:

To clarify, an honest, fair, open competition would most certainly (should) give a 4th year veteran an advantage over a 2nd year developmental project and a rookie with a very poor college resume of success.

And if that's how the competition plays out, that Geno wins handily, so be it.  He'll still have had to earn it.  That is what matters.

My only concern is that an "honest, fair and open" competition would indicate a somewhat even number of snaps for each of them and a somewhat lengthy look.  The problem with that is that it could end up legitimately hampering the winner with respect to his ability to be ready and at his best for the start of the year.

My own opinion is that

(1) Geno sucks,

(2) Geno is likely to win a competition given where we are today

(3) That Fitz is significantly better than all of them (today) and that even with Fitz we have a truly daunting schedule to start off the year.

I think it will be Geno and I think we are very likely heading for a high draft pick.  Hope to be wrong on that.

15 hours ago, Larz said:

the jets would be better off giving all the reps to geno. 

the competition would be for the back-up job

I am no fan of geno, but pretending petty or krackenberg is ready to challenge him is silly

SHHHHHH! You're runing the whinefest with your logic

13 hours ago, Warfish said:

Insanity is doing the same thing (annointed Sanchez) over and over (annointed Geno) and expecting different results.

It's about time the starting QB of the New York Jets actually did something to EARN that position.

No one on our roster today has earned it.

I don't think I'm asking for too much here.

I agree, but as others have stated, with one caveat . . .

Any open competition, no matter who may or may not be brought in, should definitely not include the Hack!

Foles has a big contract and there is no way Mac is going to pick that up. The question with him is what happened to him with the Rams. He is in such disfavor with them that they started Case Keenum over him and even stated that he's the starter in 2016, but that was before they drafted Goff. Chip Kelly also got rid of him. His value has plummeted fast, 

Bowles already said if the QB situation remains as it currently is, Geno will get 1st team snaps, then Petty, then Hack, which makes perfect sense. That does not mean Hack can;t outperform Petty and earn the backup role or that Petty can't outperform Geno and get the starting gig, but (IMO) Hack will not be the starter coming into the season and Petty will not beat out Geno. 

For the record, I have no problem going into the season with Geno as the QB. And I also don't see why the Jets can't be a run-first team. We were just that when we had Ivory last year. Having a lot of weapons at receiver often times opens up the run game. Obviously, the Jets will need to have an effective passing attack, but they ca still be a 'run-first' team with Forte, Powell and Robinson.       

1 minute ago, PepPep said:

Bowles already said if the QB situation remains as it currently is, Geno will get 1st team snaps, then Petty, then Hack, which makes perfect sense. That does not mean Hack can;t outperform Petty and earn the backup role or that Petty can't outperform Geno and get the starting gig, but (IMO) Hack will not be the starter coming into the season and Petty will not beat out Geno. 

For the record, I have no problem going into the season with Geno as the QB. And I also don't see why the Jets can't be a run-first team. We were just that when we had Ivory last year. Having a lot of weapons at receiver often times opens up the run game. Obviously, the Jets will need to have an effective passing attack, but they ca still be a 'run-first' team with Forte, Powell and Robinson.       

Agree but not with the bold.  WR's, RB's, and TE sre all weapons in the passing game we have to be a pass first team and punish defenders with our run game if/when they overreact.  

14 hours ago, Warfish said:

Insanity is doing the same thing (annointed Sanchez) over and over (annointed Geno) and expecting different results.

It's about time the starting QB of the New York Jets actually did something to EARN that position.

No one on our roster today has earned it.

I don't think I'm asking for too much here.

Actually Geno had earned it and Fitz got it due to injury.

Dont remember anyone, re Ftiz fans, complaining about earning the starting nod last year.  

I don't agree with the implied premise that if Fitz is not back, the Jets will (certainly) stick with the 3 currently on the roster.  They can get another vet Qb.  Imo they should rather than stick with these 3.

We already know that Smith sucks and is not a medium let alone long term answer.  His issues are too many.  It is very unlikely he can and will solve them all.

I think it likely he's only currently on the roster because the Jets hope to get something anything for him in a trade. 

The players don't want Smith to be their starting Qb, and as a fan I don't want to see it.  But it's not only that.  The FO has to know that most fans will see Smith starting as an admission the team is going nowhere, and in failing to bring in a vet Qb, if they do that, such failure amounts to that as admission.

As far as the competition concept goes, one huge problem with Smith is his proven history of f'ing up games that count.  A camp competition fails to replicate the conditions that we should be concerned about - playing in a real game.  In other words Smith "winning" a competition wouldn't mean dog do.  He will still be the same sucky Qb.

3 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

How is this a throw away year when we'll very very likely have a top 3 or 4 defense?   You doom and gloom guys should get over yourself and start rooting for this team.  

It's a throwaway year if the QB they decide to start is near the bottom in every category of every measure in his career. This isn't a Broncos defense, or even close. It will be a good defense and it will keep the team in games, but they can't survive a poor decision making, turnover prone quarterback. Also, I always root for this team, please don't get that twisted. Being critical of the team is no different than being critical of anything else you love.

2 hours ago, JetBlue said:

I never said that so don't put words in my mouth. That is why you play the games. So now you don't believe in competition? If Geno outplayed Petty you still start him?

Geno SHOULD outplay Petty. That's not the point. The point is to make this Jets team better long term. Starting Geno Smith does not accomplish that. This team can't make the playoffs with him at the helm and if that's the case, turn the team over to Petty and see what he can do. If he stinks, Hackenberg is up next. If he stinks, then time to draft another QB in 2017. That's how this works.

28 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually Geno had earned it and Fitz got it due to injury.

Dont remember anyone, re Ftiz fans, complaining about earning the starting nod last year.  

Factually questionable as usual.

Geno was handed the #1 job due only to Sanchez's injury (2013), retained (despite being benched) what he was handed due to no competition from a disinterested Vick (2014) and then failed to win the job (2015) because he got beat up by his own teammate over $600 and whelching on a promise.  Reportedly being ahead is not winning a job.

if he wins the job, in a fair and open competition, in 2016, ti will be the first time he does so.

Archived