Did Hackenberg Throw Coach and Teammates Under the Bus?

Villain The Foe

Did Hackenberg Throw Coach and Teammates Under the Bus?   

87 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Christian Hackenberg threw his coach/teammates under the bus and violated trust?

well since no one really knows what he actually said and are just trying to form an opinion off some anonymous sources i'd say this is a bullsh*t non-story. but, fwiw, if hackenberg blamed the coaching or o-line at all he wouldnt have been wrong. throwing someone under the bus is like getting up on the mic and blaming a loss on a receiver dropping one pass or some sh*t like that. 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

We've all heard about Hackenberg allegedly turning off some NFL teams during his interviews when asked about the reason behind his decline in college. For those who dont know about this...here you go.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25531058/report-hackenberg-blames-franklin-for-his-struggles-at-penn-state

I'd like to know what do you guys think about this? Do you think Hackenberg should have kept that situation in house/in the past and not have said anything (if true). Did he cross the line and broke "the unwritten rule" of the locker room and coaching staff/front office at Penn by his actions?

I am not sure this is true. Read another column where a writer said that he did not throw anyone under a bus.  Cannot find it now, though.  But it said that the quotes about him bashing his coaches were a product of "interpretation"  by some personnel departments.  That he did not directly criticize the coaches.  I saw him with Gruden and he squirmed a bit when Gruden tried to corner him but he did not nail Franklin.

from bowles:

Jets coach Todd Bowles said last week that he needed to hear Hackenberg’s answers about what happened during his college career when he went from O’Brien to Franklin. Bowles was impressed with what he heard.

“You want to get to know your players as best you can and make an evaluation,” Bowles said. “He was forthright with everything. He understands he has things to work on. He acknowledged the coaching changes and he tried to do well in both systems. He admitted he had some bad games, but he also had some very good games. I was very impressed with the way he presented himself. He has a good football IQ and good football knowledge so that helped a lot.”

8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Running a good program when your QB fits your system and having success is one thing.  Taking over for O'Brien, having a QB who ran the Pats offense successfully and forcing him to try and run the spread, without an OL and without being a fit for it is stupid and a completely different situation than Vandy

and how about changing an O'Brien coached QB's footwork.....now that is just plain nuts!  Why is that overlooked by the masses.  Do they think Franklin is a better HC than O'brien???

7 hours ago, SayNoToDMC said:

**** you, Dude.

Hack is like Rey from Star Wars. I'm attempting to finally watch this movie without fully paying attention, but the parallels are undeniable. Hack was abandoned in some sh*tty little world left to fend for himself. It never broke him, and he kept fighting on. With the help of our coaching staff and perhaps a little robotic soccer ball he can be reborn into a hero.

You're more like Kylo Ren

I see the parallels, too: a bunch of washed-up veterans trying to save their golden paycheck movie from the awfulness of a couple of horrible young actors who only got cast because they look like Hollister models. Chan Gailey better get that lens flare fired up.

I had also heard reports that he had not done that, so who do you believe?  Gruden gave him a chance to do that on his dopey show and he did not.  He has not done it on the record, at least.

He's in a tough position, because there is no real right answer.  You can't blame your coach -- that looks bad.  You can't say, "I just sucked," because it looks like you don't believe in yourself.  I guess the best you can do is say that there was a lot of adversity and transition because of all the lost scholarships and we did our best to fight through it and I feel I learned from it.

13 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Completely wrong.  He took responsibility for his play.  Hes also 100% right, that was the wrong system and hindered him. 

He has nothing to learn.  For all the debate, it got him hired and had others interested

Perfect attitude for an NFL QB!

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Surprised he can even hold a football with those my 9" hands, tbh

https://t.co/IH1EpwzMMp

God you are jaded.  9" isn't enough for you anymore?  

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

Nobody reported any of your posts.

Is that all it takes? 

4 hours ago, afosomf said:

Bottom Line is if O Brien really thought Hack was a Stud Franchise QB, he would not have paid Ossicilator that crazy contract. 

Been saying that ever since Jets drafted the kid. If anyone know his talents it will be O'brien. I don't want to hear this was the owners choice. We are not talking about Peyton Manning coming to Denver when that happened. It seems like everyone on this board knows what happened in Houston. I know I don't but the question is why would an owner shelve out the money like he did to an unproven QB in Osweiler if there was a young QB in the draft that has succeeded with your head coach. Shouldn't the head coach convince his owner save your money and draft the kid? 

2 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Been saying that ever since Jets drafted the kid. If anyone know his talents it will be O'brien. I don't want to hear this was the owners choice. We are not talking about Peyton Manning coming to Denver when that happened. It seems like everyone on this board knows what happened in Houston. I know I don't but the question is why would an owner shelve out the money like he did to an unproven QB in Osweiler if there was a young QB in the draft that has succeeded with your head coach. Shouldn't the head coach convince his owner save your money and draft the kid? 

the owner and gm run the team.  they do not care that the head coach spent all of 1 season in college with a quarterback. all they saw was hoyer sucking in the wild card game.  if o'brien can't win a playoff game in a year or two he will probably be gone.  the hc didn't even meet with osweiler before they signed him.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

the owner and gm run the team.  they do not care that the head coach spent all of 1 season in college with a quarterback. all they saw was hoyer sucking in the wild card game.  if o'brien can't win a playoff game in a year or two he will probably be gone.  the hc didn't even meet with osweiler before they signed him.

You make me laugh. When the Jets pick any defensive player like they did Lee everyone stated that Bowles got his man. Please give me a break already. The coach has some input in the decision especially since this coach led you to the playoffs with a non existent QB. Do you think his owner would not be interested in a QB that he has success with. I know I would, especially if I am the one laying out all that money. Stop defending Hackenberg already. Yes he has all the tools except he has bad tape and some flaws but what I don't like his what he has from the shoulder up. Bashing his coach reminded me of Geno bashing his players in West Virginia.  We all wish Hackenberg all the luck in the world since we are all Jet fans. Will he start the first year?  No, and that is a big fat no. What is best for him is work in practice and learn and watch from the sidelines and watch the speed of the pro game.  Maybe one day I could come on this board and say I was wrong about him. Hopefully I am not right like I was with Sanchez and Geno.

5 hours ago, afosomf said:

Bottom Line is if O Brien really thought Hack was a Stud Franchise QB, he would not have paid Ossicilator that crazy contract. 

Bottom line is O'brien's GM and Owner signed Brockwieler without much input from him....

Now you would expect them to invest a high Pick at QB after throwing $$$ at Brock? 

5 hours ago, afosomf said:

Why does this keep getting repeated?  O'Brien isn't the GM

O’Brien, who remains close with Hackenberg, says the Texans also gave his former charge a high draft grade. “Christian is big and strong and throws a good football,” O’Brien says. “He's shown the ability to overcome adversity. It's hard to evaluate his career. There was a coaching change, and he had to adapt. Now, I watched a lot of his film [from 2014 and 2015], and I saw some bad plays, like people talk about. But I saw a lot of good plays too. We had him evaluated as a really good quarterback prospect.”

Why did the Texans sign Os?  Because they offered the most money.  Easy as it comes.  No guarantee for them to wait all the way to the draft and possibly get Hackenberg.  We have no idea how their board even looked, Hack might have been the 2nd best graded QB by them but the QB position overall was much lower on their draft board.  Why are people obsessing with this fact when their is no tangible evidence that O'Brien didn't think highly of Hack.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Perfect attitude for an NFL QB!

He has to learn how to suck it up and take blame for everything?  I said the reports were he took responsibility for his mistakes but also talked about the program changes.  Sorry, no he doesnt need to learn how to take the blame for that.  Its 100% accurate and he was being honest.

Perfect attitude for life.  

18 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

And S Pauline said that he heard from a number of FOs that Hackenberg took the blame for what happened at Penn state.  

All I know is the kid could have left the school, by rule, and decided to stick it out and honor his word.  After lighting it up under O'Brien he get stuck with Franklin and the first thing the idiot does is take away the offense that his QB flourished in and implement an offense that there was no way Hackenberg would fit.  A no read offense that takes away everything the kid excels at.  So he can be in complete control 

Youre interviewing for the rest of your life, your struggles are attributable to a moron of a HC and youre supposed to abide by amorte and fall on your sword if asked?  Why?

You forgot to mention that under Franklin they changed his footwork/mechanics.  Total cluster phuck.  I am amazed he stayed. 

3 minutes ago, Il Mostro said:

You forgot to mention that under Franklin they changed his footwork/mechanics.  Total cluster phuck.  I am amazed he stayed. 

Right?  He does everything asked of him.  Fulfills his commitment.  Makes changes that are ruining his game and then when it leaks out that he may have acknowledged these facts in a couple of interviews hes wrong.  Sure, because all those criticizing him would take full responsibility and never mention that some of the breakdowns were because he was coached that way

I'm typically not one for players or people in general throwing others under the bus in most scenarios. But, his team and coach screwed him so bad that it affected his career. (He would have and should have been a top 5-10 pick). So even if he did, I could care less and wouldn't blame him.

Having said that, by all reports right before and after the draft, most teams that interviewed him said he did the opposite of the blame game, and took responsibility and responded maturely.

So, No...I don't think he did. 

17 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Not only did he throw them under the bus, he held them in place while the bus drove over them, and then tied them up, so they can drive over them again. Cut this guy now, before he throws anyone else under the bus.

No green font?? 

7 hours ago, afosomf said:

I really don't like defending Hackenberg, but this is nonsense.  Texans believe they are solid QB play away from a Super Bowl... They added a guy that they believe can start day one, because he has started in this league.  No one is expecting Hackenberg to start day, or year, one.

Further in my regrettable defense of Hackenberg... Can we spend more time analyzing the comments of a 21-year-old kid who's never interviewed for a job in his adult life, in an incredibly high pressure interview situation, when we haven't even heard the comments, and when he's in the difficult situation of having to defend significant failures to potential employers, and did I mention we didn't hear the comments?  Can we please keep doing that?

7 hours ago, afosomf said:

1.  Osweiller was there for the taking, there was a short time frame to make a move 

2.  Houston had no idea whether they would be able to draft Hackenberg, someone could take him before their pick and then they would have neither QB

3.  No matter how much O'Brien might like Hackenberg he would need some time to develop, Osweiller already has put in his 4 of development

4.  O'Brien isnt the GM of the Texans

5.  Sorry none of this fits your agenda

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

I really don't like defending Hackenberg, but this is nonsense.  Texans believe they are solid QB play away from a Super Bowl... They added a guy that they believe can start day one, because he has started in this league.  No one is expecting Hackenberg to start day, or year, one.

I guess the point is Brocko is not a sure thing to succeed. If OB felt Hack was a stud, he could have picked him in 2nd round and have an extra cheap insurance policy on Brocko.

Having 2 good QB's is not a bad thing and Hack would be on sideline for OB

4 hours ago, afosomf said:

I guess the point is Brocko is not a sure thing to succeed. If OB felt Hack was a stud, he could have picked him in 2nd round and have an extra cheap insurance policy on Brocko.

Having 2 good QB's is not a bad thing and Hack would be on sideline for OB

But, this is a silly argument.  Yes, all of your premises are true, but there are dozens of other true premises for Houston and the way they managed their offseason that did not end up with them taking a developmental QB prospect.  Essentially, Houston takes Hackenberg, he has potential... Houston passes, he doesn't.  This is exactly what happened with Lynch by the way.  Jets passing was a smart move because he's immature, dumb, inaccurate, played for Memphis, blah blah blah... Then, Elway trades up for him and the Jets blew it.  The conclusion is that the Jets blew it, which was decided before we found the supporting arguments.

Want to kill the pick?  His stats and his game tape are enough.  We don't need to invent reasons.

Ah, the voice of reason.

The Texans are loaded (how are teams going to cover Hopkins and Fuller on the outside?) and all they needed was a QB.

Hackenberg was not the answer.

20 hours ago, gEYno said:

Further in my regrettable defense of Hackenberg... Can we spend more time analyzing the comments of a 21-year-old kid who's never interviewed for a job in his adult life, in an incredibly high pressure interview situation, when we haven't even heard the comments, and when he's in the difficult situation of having to defend significant failures to potential employers, and did I mention we didn't hear the comments?  Can we please keep doing that?

Best post of this thread; thank you. 

5 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Ah, the voice of reason.

The Texans are loaded (how are teams going to cover Hopkins and Fuller on the outside?) and all they needed was a QB.

Hackenberg was not the answer.

That time we took a loaded roster and gave it to Mark Sanchez.

Archived