Did Hackenberg Throw Coach and Teammates Under the Bus?

Villain The Foe

Did Hackenberg Throw Coach and Teammates Under the Bus?   

87 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Christian Hackenberg threw his coach/teammates under the bus and violated trust?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Ah, the voice of reason.

The Texans are loaded (how are teams going to cover Hopkins and Fuller on the outside?) and all they needed was a QB.

Hackenberg was not the answer.

qnd brocko could be second coming of scottie mitchell  skippy mon

On May 6, 2016 at 5:17 AM, afosomf said:

Bottom Line is if O Brien really thought Hack was a Stud Franchise QB, he would not have paid Ossicilator that crazy contract. 

You're partly right about O'Brien ... not to say O'Brien is right (or wrong) about Hack or Osweiler.

New York Post:

Bill O’Brien not sure Christian Hackenberg’s a legit NFL QB 

By Bart Hubbuch

INDIANAPOLIS — No prospect this year needs the NFL Scouting Combine more than Christian Hackenberg.

Among the most highly recruited quarterbacks in the country just three years ago, Hackenberg went to Penn State billed as a program savior and future No. 1 overall pick all rolled into one impressive package.

Fast forward to 2016, and Hackenberg finds himself this week struggling to convince NFL teams he’s worthy of a second or third-round choice in the wake of a top draft analyst describing Hackenberg’s game tape as so bad that it “scares” him.

What happened? According to Hackenberg, the fallout from the Jerry Sandusky child-sex scandal and a coaching change happened rather than the possibility he simply isn’t as good as he was made out to be.

“I’ve dealt with a lot of NFL-type situations as far as adversity,” Hackenberg said Thursday. “Handling a lot of things. Handling a shorter deck. We were playing with 43 guys on scholarship my freshman year.”

Whatever the reason for Hackenberg’s downfall (his completion percentage, passing yards and TD passes all dropped from his freshman year to his junior season), it is real in the minds of NFL scouts and executives.

Despite a big arm and prototype size at 6-feet-4, 234 pounds, Hackenberg isn’t even in the conversation when it comes to the top quarterbacks in this year’s draft. He is lumped in among the current also-rans once scouts stop talking about California’s Jared Goff, North Dakota State’s Carson Wentz and Memphis’ Paxton Lynch.

One particular scene inside Lucas Oil Stadium crystallized Hackenberg’s plight.

While Hackenberg spoke to a group reporters on one side of the room, Texans coach Bill O’Brien — who recruited Hackenberg to Penn State before bolting after one year — addressed the media on the other side and all but damned his former prized recruit with faint praise.

“I think that Christian’s a very talented guy, but there’s a lot of talented quarterbacks in this league,” O’Brien said. “To stand up here and answer whether a guy has starting ability, I mean it is very, very difficult to start at quarterback in this league.”

Houston badly needs a quarterback, and O’Brien might have been just playing coy to hide his hopes of a reunion, but the concerns and questions about Hackenberg are widespread heading into Saturday’s passing drills.

NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock was relentlessly critical of Hackenberg in a conference call with reporters last week, and Mayock’s downbeat assessment was far from an outlier.

Mayock lumped Hackenberg in with one-year Ohio State wonder Cardale Jones, who lost his starting job last season, as physical talents hampered by terrible game film.

“They both scare me because they’re really talented, big arm, big-body kids that you want to believe in, but the tape is really bad,” Mayock said. “So I don’t know how long either of them will take to go from where they are today to what you would need in a functional NFL quarterback.”

Ouch.

Hackenberg defends himself by pointing to the beating he took behind a Penn State offensive line depleted by the Sandusky sanctions, as well as O’Brien replacement James Franklin’s decision to abandon the pro-style scheme that helped Hackenberg thrive as a true freshman in 2013.

Hackenberg, who completed just 53 percent of his passes last season, was so disillusioned by the coaching change that he didn’t even acknowledge Franklin by name while announcing his decision to turn pro.

Hackenberg now must convince the NFL he can be the quarterback so many thought he could be three years ago.

“The most important thing is that I’m trustworthy,” Hackenberg said. “I’ve been through adversity. I’m battle-tested. And I’ve handled it and haven’t flinched and am still willing to work and not hurt from it. I can continue to get better. I think my potential is here and I think I’m on the right path to reach it.”

On 5/6/2016 at 10:51 PM, afosomf said:

I guess the point is Brocko is not a sure thing to succeed. If OB felt Hack was a stud, he could have picked him in 2nd round and have an extra cheap insurance policy on Brocko.

Having 2 good QB's is not a bad thing and Hack would be on sideline for OB

Its not good to sign a QB to 72 million dollars then proceed to draft a QB in the 2nd round as an insurance policy. It immediately reflects bad on the decision to even pay 72 million. 

When you make a decision to pay a QB that amount of money then you use the draft picks to build around him....not draft insurance policies. If thats the case then O'Brien should have kept the 72 million and drafted Hackenberg. My opinion? Hackenberg isnt too happy that O'Brien left after that scandal broke. From my understanding he committed to Penn State specifically to be under O'Brien. O'Brien leaves and suddenly Hack is at a school for a coach that's no longer there and he cant really transfer to another school because O'Brien didnt go to another school, but instead to the pro's. 

Who knows how that situation went about after he left. Either way, if you sign a QB to 72 million dollars you better be getting him offensive/defensive talent in the 2nd round. 

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Its not good to sign a QB to 72 million dollars then proceed to draft a QB in the 2nd round as an insurance policy. It immediately reflects bad on the decision to even pay 72 million. 

When you make a decision to pay a QB that amount of money then you use the draft picks to build around him....not draft insurance policies. If thats the case then O'Brien should have kept the 72 million and drafted Hackenberg. My opinion? Hackenberg isnt too happy that O'Brien left after that scandal broke. From my understanding he committed to Penn State specifically to be under O'Brien. O'Brien leaves and suddenly Hack is at a school for a coach that's no longer there and he cant really transfer to another school because O'Brien didnt go to another school, but instead to the pro's. 

Who knows how that situation went about after he left. Either way, if you sign a QB to 72 million dollars you better be getting him offensive/defensive talent in the 2nd round. 

Could be, but if OB really thought Hack was franchise QB, it would have been much cheaper for team using a 2nd rd pick than a $72M mistake. Elway certainly did not believe he was worth it.  Will be interesting who was right. IMO Both brock and hack are just hacks

11 minutes ago, afosomf said:

Could be, but if OB really thought Hack was franchise QB, it would have been much cheaper for team using a 2nd rd pick than a $72M mistake. Elway certainly did not believe he was worth it.  Will be interesting who was right. IMO Both brock and hack are just hacks

This doesnt really mean much though. Macc thought Hackenberg could be a franchise QB so he took him in the 2nd round instead of paying Fitzpatrick 15 million dollars. Why is it that Macc's decision is irrelevant? Who has John Elway ever developed as a QB? I dont know any QB in the league today that is an elite QB or even a top 10 QB that is from the "Elway school of quartbacks". The man purchased a championship through free agency and the Colts sucking for Luck. 

Elway spent money well, he never made a good decision on a QB that we can see today. Maybe Osweiler will be a solid QB, but he's only played what, 7 NFL games? We dont know that for sure. And if Osweiler does become a good QB it wont be under Elway so even then he doesnt get the credit. Besides everyone passed on Russell Wilson, most passed on Aaron Rodgers. Just because Elway passed on Hackenberg to sign Lynch doesnt say much at all. The Redskins mortgaged their future to sign RG3, yet it was their 4 round pick of the same season that is the franchise QB today. Why did they trade all those picks if their QB could have been had in the 4th round, or even better, Russell Wilson in the 3rd? 

Elway/O'Brien passing on a guy means nothing today. 3-4 years from now when the majority of that rookie contract has been played and these guys are now considered veterans, then we'll know for sure.

3 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Jets had to do that the time, they rolled the dice and lost.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Sanchez was a good move at the time

Drafting Sanchez wasn't what I was complaining about.  Not having a reasonable alternative on the roster when you draft a guy with under 20 start, however, is.

Drafting Sanchez wasn't what I was complaining about.  Not having a reasonable alternative on the roster when you draft a guy with under 20 start, however, is.

When you move up that high in the draft to take a QB, you expect him to be the starter from day one.

The Jets were not grooming Sanchez for 2 years.

To this day, I still thought it was a good move by the Jets.

Unfortunately, it just didn't work out.

1 hour ago, PatsFanTX said:

When you move up that high in the draft to take a QB, you expect him to be the starter from day one.

The Jets were not grooming Sanchez for 2 years.

To this day, I still thought it was a good move by the Jets.

Unfortunately, it just didn't work out.

did the principle spank you ?

On May 6, 2016 at 1:02 PM, Augustiniak said:

the owner and gm run the team.  they do not care that the head coach spent all of 1 season in college with a quarterback. all they saw was hoyer sucking in the wild card game.  if o'brien can't win a playoff game in a year or two he will probably be gone.  the hc didn't even meet with osweiler before they signed him.

Thank you!!!

Are those posting the O'Brien knows him best thesis realize the owner went out and got Os without consulting O'Brien?

Do you think after the owner said this guy will be our franchise QB, that O'Brien could have said "so what, we are drafting Hack?"

Come on now!!!!!

Im not sure Hack is the answer but let's not make up stuff to knock the kid before he even finished rookie mini camp!!!

On May 6, 2016 at 10:02 AM, Augustiniak said:

the owner and gm run the team.  they do not care that the head coach spent all of 1 season in college with a quarterback. all they saw was hoyer sucking in the wild card game.  if o'brien can't win a playoff game in a year or two he will probably be gone.  the hc didn't even meet with osweiler before they signed him.

Neither did the owner or GM. 

17 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you!!!

Are those posting the O'Brien knows him best thesis realize the owner went out and got Os without consulting O'Brien?

Do you think after the owner said this guy will be our franchise QB, that O'Brien could have said "so what, we are drafting Hack?"

Come on now!!!!!

Im not sure Hack is the answer but let's not make up stuff to knock the kid before he even finished rookie mini camp!!!

That's 100% bullfark. Certainly O'Brien was involved in the process and had input.

Houston Chronicle:

During his hour-long session with the media at the AFC coaches breakfast, O'Brien spent most of his time answering questions about why he wanted Osweiler, how he thinks the quarterback will fit with the Texans and what he'll eventually mean to the organization.

"The first thing you look at is his film, how he plays the game," O'Brien said. "He's a big, tall guy with a strong arm, and he stands in the pocket. As the rush is bearing down on him, he delivers the ball."

O'Brien wants his quarterback to be fearless in the pocket. He watched Osweiler take a beating against New England and seem unfazed by the relentless pressure.

"That game stood out to me," O'Brien said. "They were getting after him and hitting him, and he was getting back up and delivering the ball.

"One of the main requirements for a quarterback in this league is the ability to stand in there when everything is flying at you, take a hit and deliver the ball.

"To someone who's been coaching that position for a while, that means a lot to us."

O'Brien likes another intangible he believes Osweiler has, something he and general manager Rick Smith agreed on after hours of film study.

"He's got good leadership ability," O'Brien said. "We spent a lot of time studying a lot of different guys - college guys, pro guys - and we felt like Brock gave us the best chance to win."

Osweiler needs to show consistent improvement after making only seven starts during his four seasons with the Broncos.

"With Brock, just continuing to develop his skill set as a passer and being as accurate as he can be," O'Brien said when asked what Osweiler needs to work on the most. "Learning our system, that's going to be big.

"We can't work with these guys until April 18. Once we get him, we're going to have to really go to work. And hopefully, in nine weeks, we can get a lot done."

Texans' search is over

O'Brien thinks Osweiler fits the system he installed with Godsey.

"I thought he was a very good fit, obviously," O'Brien said. "We felt like everything he brought to the table from his command at the line of scrimmage to his skill set as a passer … he's a great fit for our offense."

Smith and O'Brien believe they don't have to look any longer for their franchise quarterback because that need has been filled.

"I believe so," O'Brien said. "You can never forecast injuries, but I believe Brock is going to be a good player."

In his first two seasons with the Texans, O'Brien has played nine quarterbacks and started seven. He's looking for consistent improvement from Osweiler as he bonds on and off the field with his new teammates.

"The consistency of knowing that you have this guy who's going to come in and be your starting quarterback because it's such an important position on your team and in your organization, I think that will help our team," O'Brien said. "This is our guy, and he's going to do his work, and we're going to do our work."

"We don't have to be distracted by anything else. I think the big thing is that it eliminates the distractions."

16 hours ago, gEYno said:

We had Clemens the QB that renowned Genius Mangini drafted and developed..;)

On May 6, 2016 at 8:17 AM, afosomf said:

Bottom Line is if O Brien really thought Hack was a Stud Franchise QB, he would not have paid Ossicilator that crazy contract. 

Bottom line is O'Brien doesn't have the time to develop Hackenberg.  He needed a QB like Osweiller, who has been at least mostly developed and can step in and start.

you would think this isn't that hard a concept.  But still, you keep posting the same idiotic attempt to stir shlt over and over again.  

Archived