Jets Offensive n Defensive Breakout Player Prediction

j4jets

Offense: I have a few players for this role, including Amaro n Enunwa, but my vote is Devin Smith. His limited production was a combination of Fitz' limited arm strength n lack of timing between the QBs besides the NFL speed adjustment. Most of that will be answered by the virtue of time. 50+ receptions, 700+ yards, 8TDs  

Defense: I'm hoping Mauldin has a big year but my vote is Leonard Williams. He should be a full time starter by wk1 this year I believe. He'll prove his "best player of the draft" status. 10+ sacks. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, j4jets said:

Offense: I have a few players for this role, including Amaro n Enunwa, but my vote is Devin Smith. His limited production was a combination of Fitz' limited arm strength n lack of timing between the QBs besides the NFL speed adjustment. Most of that will be answered by the virtue of time. 50+ receptions, 700+ yards, 8TDs  

Defense: I'm hoping Mauldin has a big year but my vote is Leonard Williams. He should be a full time starter by wk1 this year I believe. He'll prove his "best player of the draft" status. 10+ sacks. 

Devin Smith won't likely be ready for camp, missing another one. Good chance he starts out on the PUP list too. I don't see him being a big factor at all. The breakout offensive star won't be a surprise, as it'll likely be Matt Forte, especially if Fitz doesn't come back. Any of the other three QBs will likely be dumping it off a lot. 

Leonard Williams already is a presumptive starter. If Mo Wilk doesn't show up, that'll give him even more leverage as a starter. That's a pretty safe pick either way, what the Jets had better hope for is one of these other CBs not named Revis to step up and man the spot opposite him. Don't really see it happening, but hopefully Williams or maybe the new rookie can step it up. I have zero faith in anyone else at the corner position on the current depth chart. 

On offence I'd go with Enunwa - With Smith likely missing more time he'll get his chance to step up. He was causing match-up problems for teams last season but struggled with his catching, especially early on. It did improve though and I think he'll be far more of a factor in 2016. He has serious YAC potential.

On defence I'd hope it's Milliner or any of the young CB's really but with more time I think Mauldin can make a serious impact. Was very impressed with what he did last season with limited opportunities. Think he has the right mentality to put it all together this year. 

Offense - I think we might see even more out of Bilal Powell than last year. I know he had a bit of a break out year last year, but if he can stay healthy for 16 games I reckon he'll be a major part of our offense

Defense - I can't see past Mauldin, he has a great situation where he can lock down the starting job and make a real impact. I have high hopes for him

I'd also love to see a breakout year from all our STs ... new punter, new return men, fresh blood in coverage units. Even if they can get to "middle of the pack" status it'll be a big improvement over recent years. Real opportunity in camp for someone to make the roster based on their return skills.

Going to think out of the box on this one.

Ryan Clady on Offense........... He and Carpenter will "Lock Down" the the Left Side of the line, opening up gaping holes and keeping GENO clean in the pocket

Lee on Defense..... I think with the revamped LB corp, Bowles will use Lee as his Queen Chess piece.

Coming in from all angles to disrupt the pocket and spying QB's Wilson, RG3 etc. and McCoy, Bell, Bernard, Lewis, Gurley, Charles, Johnson out of the backfield.

If he can't help control those RB's we get killed on those wheel routes AGAIN!

The NY Jets Defense can be straight poison this season. Mauldin and Leo may have outrageous influence on the outcomes of games. The new speed at LB will leave already one armed teams (the Jets shut the run down) under complete duress. If the improvement on ST can provide good, short fields this team will do well. 

With short fields in front of them, the Jets FO doesn't mind going with Geno or another young QB.

The optimism of the off season, i love it every year.

Offense - This will not be a popular pick but it will be Geno Smith. Throwing the ball to marshall and decker with forte lining up in the backfield he will register a better season than fitz last year.

Defense - Calvin Pryor. Third year player, second year in the system I expect him to break out and be the difference maker in the backfield.

1 hour ago, jdeacon said:

Offense - This will not be a popular pick but it will be Geno Smith. Throwing the ball to marshall and decker with forte lining up in the backfield he will register a better season than fitz last year.

Defense - Calvin Pryor. Third year player, second year in the system I expect him to break out and be the difference maker in the backfield.

I was thinking Pryor also.... Having the speed improvement at the LB position could free him up for some safety blitz options like Buchannon in Arizona.

2 hours ago, jdeacon said:

You literally stole my picks.

I think you are gonna have the vets like Marshall and Forte make the biggest overall impact on offense and Wilkerson make the biggest overall impact on Defense. I mean, those are probably the 3 best players on the Jets (along with Mangold and Revis).

But if we are talking about young players, or 'breakout' players or 'surprise' players to make an impact, I think its Amaro on offense and Pryor on defense. Particularly Pryor, I think last year he had a 'breakout' year and was just scratching the surface. 

17 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Offense: Jace Amaro

Defense:  Jordan Jenkins

i agree with amaro, i think he will be an asset in this offense, finally.  i will say lee though.  he will not be visible in some plays but his speed will impact enough of them that he'll force punts, sacks and turnovers.

Offense: there's some good options between enunwa and some linemen. Maybe Smith if he gets healthy quicker than we think. I don't think Amaro because they don't use tight ends. 

Defense: there's a bunch of good options, I think Pryor actually broke out last year, but he will be a house hold name this season. I think Leonard will be huge for us as well. But I think I'm going to go with Mauldin with Marcus Williams not too far off. 

22 minutes ago, jett said:

Offense: there's some good options between enunwa and some linemen. Maybe Smith if he gets healthy quicker than we think. I don't think Amaro because they don't use tight ends. 

Defense: there's a bunch of good options, I think Pryor actually broke out last year, but he will be a house hold name this season. I think Leonard will be huge for us as well. But I think I'm going to go with Mauldin with Marcus Williams not too far off. 

You're a very DECISIVE person!

forever flip bounce perfectloops flop

On D I'd LIKE to see Milliner back, healthy and making a big contribution commensurate with his draft status, but since this is a prediction, that is not my answer.

Frankly on D and no criticism intended for those who also say this, Mauldin is far and away the best choice.  Imo he showed great promise toward the end of the season, and he can play a key role as the linebacker corps gets younger, and hopefully more of a force.

On O it is a more difficult choice, but I am going to go with Qvale.  I get why people say Amaro, but I can't be optimistic enough about him to pick him for this.  Qvale has very quietly been improving and getting ready to join the starting lineup, and meanwhile the others on the right side are not adequate.  He has a shot, I think, and I hope he makes the most of it.

Devin Smith has zero chance to breakout with Fitz at QB. Fitz doesn't have the arm strength to take advantage of a speedster. That is why big/possession WRs like Marshall/Decker were able to excel. If Hackenberg could somehow breakout then a kid like smith could surprise....assuming he is healthy. 

It's going to be another lost year for Smith. He needs reps, and considering he's missing all of camp and the pre-season, I actually think the Jets PUP him. The guy I'm hoping breaks out is Amaro. Hopefully last year was a wake up call, and he gets out of the doghouse and onto the field. He seems to be perfectly suited for Gailey's 4 WR sets. 

On defense, Mauldin is the obvious choice. Lee should be almost just as obvious. Although he might not be in the 'starting' lineup from the start, I expect Bowles to line him up in multiple spots and use him as a blitzer early on. 

Offense: Lol - Since this one is a shot in the dark I am going with youth on the OL. Shell, Dozier, Qvale, and Harrison have talent, I think more than one will make a significant contribution.

Defense: Lee and Wilkerson - They'll have an oxpecker/rhino relationship. Wilkerson will make it tough for even the basic and/or casual fans to keep underrating.

Okay.  

I will say Peake on offense.  I am hopeful that he can put up better numbers than Enunwa did in 2015.  

On D, I will go with Catapano.  I think that he will play and play well or be injured.  Seems like his M.O.

I would love to say Amaro and Milliner.  I think they both have some talent.  I am higher on Milliner than Amaro, but this staff doesn't seem to like either and I don't think Milliner has as much legit injury excuse.  They are two guys that could be huge contributors or cut and I wouldn't be surprised either way.

I know everybody is calling Lee a midget.  The guy he most reminds me of is Polamalu.  I realize it could be the number thing.  It will be interesting to see how they use him and how he adapts.   

47 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Offense: Lol - Since this one is a shot in the dark I am going with youth on the OL. Shell, Dozier, Qvale, and Harrison have talent, I think more than one will make a significant contribution.

Defense: Lee and Wilkerson - They'll have an oxpecker/rhino relationship. Wilkerson will make it tough for even the basic and/or casual fans to keep underrating.

Your mind should be put in Madam Tussaude's wax museum upon your untimely death.

We'll have them put it right next to Jerry Springer.

11008308_1382310715418506_1572724484_n.j

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Devin Smith has zero chance to breakout with Fitz at QB. Fitz doesn't have the arm strength to take advantage of a speedster. That is why big/possession WRs like Marshall/Decker were able to excel. If Hackenberg could somehow breakout then a kid like smith could surprise....assuming he is healthy. 

Indifferent QB arm strength does not explain away flat out drops of balls that are between the numbers.

Smith has a chance to be most improved even with Fitz throwing him the ball.  It is all up to Smith.

26 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

Offense: Khiry Robinson

Defense: Freddie Bishop

Excellent choices. Reading some of the tweets from Rookie Camp, Bishop flying all over the field. 

TIFWIW it is rookie camp.

Can definitely see Robinson going "beast mode" at the goal line and short yardage breaking through for a few big gains.

24 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Indifferent QB arm strength does not explain away flat out drops of balls that are between the numbers.

Smith has a chance to be most improved even with Fitz throwing him the ball.  It is all up to Smith.

He had 1 dropped pass in his limited time. His problem was either getting open or his QB's lack of arm strength. 

7 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He had 1 dropped pass in his limited time. His problem was either getting open or his QB's lack of arm strength. 

Most passes his way we're mostly under thrown. Zero timing. Plus Fitz' arm is a Xerox copy of Pennington's minus the injuries. 

Archived