Is Folk's job in jeapordy??

32EBoozer

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2016/5/5/11595688/is-nick-folks-roster-spot-in-trouble

After the Draft, there have been reports of the Jets signing a pair of undrafted free agent kickers.

The team has not officially announced either signing yet. One cannot help but wonder what implications these moves might have for Nick Folk, though.

The Jets probably are still going to need to clear some salary cap space to maneuver through the 2016 season. Letting Folk go would clear up over $2 million in room to work under the cap.

Would the Jets be comfortable with a pair of rookies competing for the kicking job? They are going to take that approach with the punter position.

I do not want to read too much into this. It is possible one of these signings is a placeholder and will not last until training camp. It is also possible the Jets could carry three kickers into camp. Three would seem like a lot, though. This might be worth watching.

Folk got hurt early last year and all his big kicks were for the previous HC.  So the new regime

doesn't have a ton of loyalty to him.  If Ross Martin (Duke) is as accurate as he was in college

he could be the choice

6 minutes ago, chirorob said:

All things being equal, I want Folk back.   We had crap kickers for years, Folk is pretty darn good.  He just pulled a muscle last year.

You don't miss "at least 8 weeks" for a muscle pull. It was a quad injury in his kicking leg. It's a wait and see how healthy it comes back, but his contract could put him on the chopping block if one of these rookies is close to decent.

23 minutes ago, chirorob said:

All things being equal, I want Folk back.   We had crap kickers for years, Folk is pretty darn good.  He just pulled a muscle last year.

If he's healthy - he's as money of a kicker as we've ever had.

25 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

You don't miss "at least 8 weeks" for a muscle pull. It was a quad injury in his kicking leg. It's a wait and see how healthy it comes back, but his contract could put him on the chopping block if one of these rookies is close to decent.

I don't know if that was certain. What they didn't want to do was take the chance because they didn't want their roster size to be limited in a playoff run. I don't know off the top of my head if they're allowed to IR someone if they "know" he's not going to be injured for the rest of the season. In that case, they may be required to either keep him on the 53-man roster or release him, so they just say they now think his muscle strain will be at least 8 weeks, that would take them through the end of the season, so it's kosher to put him on IR. Doubt they're allowed to officially admit they're ending someone's season for medical reasons if they know (or if the actual medical opinion is) he's going to be back with 3-5 weeks left in the season.

The front office should be looking at other options. Folk's ability after the injury is a question mark and if we can find an equally accurate kicker then maybe we let Folk and his contract go to help ease cap restrictions. That said, if Folk is kicking at the same level I'd rather pay his contract and keep him. With our QB situation we may be back to Team FG with the offense creating lots of three and outs. 

Of course, these two UDFAs could just be camp legs while the team works on special teams and tries out players for KR. Our special teams left a lot to be desired last year.

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't know if that was certain. What they didn't want to do was take the chance because they didn't want their roster size to be limited in a playoff run. I don't know off the top of my head if they're allowed to IR someone if they "know" he's not going to be injured for the rest of the season. In that case, they may be required to either keep him on the 53-man roster or release him, so they just say they now think his muscle strain will be at least 8 weeks, that would take them through the end of the season, so it's kosher to put him on IR. Doubt they're allowed to officially admit they're ending someone's season for medical reasons if they know (or if the actual medical opinion is) he's going to be back with 3-5 weeks left in the season.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/nick-folk-s-season-over-as-jets-place-kicker-on-injured-reserve-1.11108567

Folk, who felt "a little pop" in his right quadriceps during pregame warmups Sunday, initially was expected to miss four to six weeks. But coach Todd Bowles said team doctors told him Folk would be out at least eight weeks, so IR was inevitable. "It's not a [quad] tear, but [the injury] is pretty significant," Bowles said.

42 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

If he can physically do the job, I hope he's back.  If he can't, that sucks and you have to move on.

4 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/nick-folk-s-season-over-as-jets-place-kicker-on-injured-reserve-1.11108567

Folk, who felt "a little pop" in his right quadriceps during pregame warmups Sunday, initially was expected to miss four to six weeks. But coach Todd Bowles said team doctors told him Folk would be out at least eight weeks, so IR was inevitable. "It's not a [quad] tear, but [the injury] is pretty significant," Bowles said.

Yeah I know how it was reported. I'm saying this could end up just being the face they put out there because they can't IR someone only slated to miss 4-6 weeks if there are 8 weeks left in the season. They need a doctor's note saying "IR him he won't be back for 8 weeks" and they got a note. 

What also fits this sequence of events is:

1. Doctor: Folk out 4-6 weeks.
  2. Bowles and/or Maccagnan: Hey doc, are you f*cking nuts? We can't keep 2 goddamn kickers on the roster for a month & a half in a playoff hunt! We have 8 weeks left plus the bye, so that's 9 weeks until the end of the season, you blockhead!
  3. Doctor: Understood. Nick Folk will be out for at least 8 weeks.
  4. Bowles and/or Maccagnan: That's more like it.

Archived