Gailey: Giant Steps for Geno

Maxman

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With Gailey, Geno seems serviceable to me. Same goes for Petty and Hackenberg. I can't explain. I truly believe we will not have a QB problem even if we don't bring back Fitz. I think Jets offense will still be a top 10 offense and either we will make the play offs or be in the race until the last week. 

Just now, Augustiniak said:

geno's development is management's main leverage in the fitz situation.  of course he's going to say he's much better.

Well that and the fact no other team wants Fitz.  That's pretty good leverage as well. 

Who knows, maybe Fitz will lower his demands soon.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

geno's development is management's main leverage in the fitz situation.  of course he's going to say he's much better.

I tend to think this is the truth.  It accomplishes two things...

1) Puts more pressure on Fitz to fold

2) PR - If Fitz doesn't come back it makes it much easier for the media and many fans to accept.

But Fitz is coming back. There really isn't a scenario in which I don't see him coming back. 

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Well Gailey made it clear he preferred Geno last year too. The driving force for Geno us Bowles, who like many defensive minded coaches prefers veterans to younger players. 

the fact that we're still talking about Geno's development after starting for two years and spending three years in the league proves two things to me.  1. He just doesn't have it and 2. our previous regime had no idea how to develop a qb considering this new coaching staff is basically trying to re-train him

4 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

the fact that we're still talking about Geno's development after starting for two years and spending three years in the league proves two things to me.  1. He just doesn't have it and 2. our previous regime had no idea how to develop a qb considering this new coaching staff is basically trying to re-train him

How does that "prove" he just doesn't have it?  raw rookie out of college who wasn't ready to start; 2 years, two OCs; little to no weapons.  3rd year another OC but he gets hurt and doesn't play; so again, how does that prove HE just doesn't have it?  Your second point makes much more sense. 

7 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

It took Ryan Fitzpatrick 11 years to develop.

If this is true I agree that it puts more pressure on Fitz although again if it is true I would think it is no longer a $7M vs. $14M decision.  I am not sure we need Fitz at either price.

On the other hand even if it is not true there is some benefit in pretending that it is.

53 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Just don't turn the ball over or take mind bogglingly bad sacks and you can play in this league Geno.  I just don;t think he will ever avoid those issues unfortunately.

My biggest question about Geno is his maturity and leadership skills - or lack thereof. As the number one QB last season Geno let a locker room situation get completely out of hand over 600 dollars. That is pi$$ poor leadership, and I don't buy the excuse that 'he is young'. He was a QB in college, in high school and no one can tell me that EVERY coach he has ever had has said 'you are the leader of this team'. He needs to show that he has shed his 'punk attitude' and is willing to be the leader the team needs, but you also have to prove it on the field. If he can get off to a hot start and shows proper humility, maybe he can win the team over. 

4 minutes ago, Better2bgreenthanblue said:

As a diehard, I hope and pray Geno has improved. I didn't realize personality, intelligence and leadership where coachable.

Not coachable but sometimes curable by a punch in the face .  Now all we need is somebody to...wait a minute .  Championship!!!

53 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Or instead of every comment being scrutinized it could be that Chan actually believes what he's saying.  He did say pretty much the same things about Geno a year ago.  Without any Fitzdrama 

45 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

Who is Marty Mornhinweg?

Marty is currently a demoted QB coach for the Ravens, his sixth team in 21 years in the NFL.

In GB, Brett Favre was a 2x Pro Bowler before Marty arrived. GB won SB XXXI in '97 after Marty left.

In SF, Steve Young was a 6x Pro Bowler and SB winning MVP before Marty arrived.

Marty helped undo the Niners and left SF with its paint peeling and yard full of weeds. He fled to Detroit and became the worst HC in Detroit Lions franchise history 5-27. 

In Philly, McNabb was a 3x Pro Bowler before Marty came aboard as senior assistant and Jeff Garcia was an 8-year vet playoff-winning QB when Marty became OC.

In Baltimore, Marty inherits a SB winning MVP QB Joe Flacco.

Point is, Nick Foles and Geno Smith are the only rookie QBs MM can take credit for developing. Where are they now?

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Or instead of every comment being scrutinized it could be that Chan actually believes what he's saying.  He did say pretty much the same things about Geno a year ago.  Without any Fitzdrama 

And yet the same brains trust said Fitz was the starter if he came back and offered him $7M to do so.  Even though Geno was cheaper and already under contract.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I tend to think this is the truth.  It accomplishes two things...

1) Puts more pressure on Fitz to fold

2) PR - If Fitz doesn't come back it makes it much easier for the media and many fans to accept.

But Fitz is coming back. There really isn't a scenario in which I don't see him coming back. 

Fitz is so far gone from the Jets radar, Jack Bauer couldn't find him. And that's a good thing. If one of my employees told me he'd rather retire than accept me more than doubling his salary, I'd laugh so hard at him they'd have to sedate me. The Jets are no longer going to tolerate below average players, and that's what Fitz is. As Michael Kay would say  "see ya."

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

Fitz is so far gone from the Jets radar, Jack Bauer couldn't find him. And that's a good thing. If one of my employees told me he'd rather retire than accept me more than doubling his salary, I'd laugh so hard at him they'd have to sedate me. The Jets are no longer going to tolerate below average players, and that's what Fitz is. As Michael Kay would say  "see ya."

Hope that's true.

He is long gone but I would rather see Sanchez than Fitz behind center for this team.

They both stink but Sanchez's fail was much more epic and entertaining than watching Fitz tease with semi-competency. 

Headband, hotdogs, buttfumble, pick 6 to lineman...fun days.

Forget the glass jawed wonder. He had his shot. Its CFL time for that guy.

In other words, start the Hamburger.

11 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

He is long gone but I would rather see Sanchez than Fitz behind center for this team.

They both stink but Sanchez's fail was much more epic and entertaining than watching Fitz tease with semi-competency. 

Headband, hotdogs, buttfumble, pick 6 to lineman...fun days.

Forget the glass jawed wonder. He had his shot. Its CFL time for that guy.

In other words, start the Hamburger.

If Hack becomes a legit starter some local burger joint will create the Hackenburger

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Just don't turn the ball over or take mind bogglingly bad sacks and you can play in this league Geno.  I just don;t think he will ever avoid those issues unfortunately.

Agreed. He has the arm and the tools to be an NFL QB, he is just a scatterbrain (much like Sanchez) and can't help making really dumb plays at the worst times. I wouldn't mind him as a backup as those glaring mistakes don't happen EVERY game, but he gets exposed the more he plays. 

One would expect a second year in the same system with the first year sitting on the bench would result in improvement and greater comfort in the system. There is no mindblowing revelation to that. 

It's even less mindblowing when put in the context of Geno's career. Every December promptly after elimination he gets really good. He's been mentioned positively in TC every year. I don't think he is incapable of understanding his job or doing his job so long as you accept that he's going to make some dumb decisions every once in a while (e.g. can't tell time) and when there is pressure to perform he falls well below his potential. 

I'd love to be wrong about Geno but I am not holding my breath for him to live up to his potential. 

2 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

I'd love to be wrong about Geno but I am not holding my breath for him to live up to his potential. 

I completely agree.  I would love to eat a ton of crow and be proven wrong by Geno, but he hasn't given Jets fans any indication on or off the field that he is going to miraculously turn his career around.  The proof is in the pudding.  If Geno is the starting QB this year, lets see him win some games, play with consistency, and become the leader of this team.  That would shut everyone up, including myself, for good. 

Archived