Gailey: Giant Steps for Geno

Maxman

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Outside of the "cant tell time" situation, how is this any different of a scenario than the guy you have an an avatar? Geno won 8 games his rookie season, it took Fitz 11 years to reach that feat. Yeah, Geno has been mentioned positively in TC, but so has Fitz. You say that Geno got better in December, basically after elimination, well Fitz only got better one time in December, even went undefeated...but then fell off a cliff on January 3rd of this year. And besides this year, Fitz historically never got better in December because he was either hurt by then, benched or just losing. Fitz have made dumb decisions, just turn on that week 17 game in the 4th quarter and tell me if Fitz fell way below his potential when the "pressure was on". 

You'd love to be wrong about Geno but you're not holding your breath. I can respect that, but the guy in your avatar has done practically the same thing for 11 years. 

If you believe Fitz is the standard by which Geno should be judged and you think Fitz sucks then you've already lost whatever argument you're trying to make. Fitz is only a good metric if the question is where to go to get a great undergrad degree.

Geno's missteps can be judged all on their own. In addition to the clock situation you can add in running out of his own endzone, fumbling the ball trying to pass the ball behind his back, the constant running backwards to avoid sacks, the whole $600 situation, all his terrible interceptions and general lack of situational awareness.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

This year Jets got really good QB!  I see him throw and tribe chief says he is the real deal!

cro-magnon-men.jpg

01010100 01101000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01111001 01100101 01100001 01110010 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01001010 01100101 01110100 01110011 00100000 01101000 01100001 01110110 01100101 00100000 01100001 00100000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01101100 00100000 01010001 01000010 00100001

Many-Robots.jpg

Very nice!  For the binary illiterate, translates to

This year the Jets have a real QB!

Fitz's contract scam must be getting expensive.

Paid Ikemefuna  []

Paid Marshall     []

Paid Decker       []

Paid Skrine        []

Paid Cimini        []

Paid Mehta        []

Paid Keidel        []

Paid Williams     []

Paid Myers        []

4 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

A giant step for Geno would be knowing which endzone is his

Hopefully the staff bought Geno an xbox for 2015.  Madden could easily teach him things like that.  Just ask Petty.

This is positive news. Even though I'm for bringing Fitz back if Geno is capable of playing at a higher level and can handle this offense then great news for the Jets. But we'll see what happens on the field not just in practice or skull sessions. The guy has 29 starts under his belt and it's not unfair to evaluate him on that. Plus Gailey was also positive on Devin Smith and we did not see that translate on the field. Again this is not an experimental season we are supposed to be contenders. Maybe Gailey's into developing players but not in crunch time. During the summer and that's it. Starting in Sept we have to put our best 11 on the field. 

7 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Hey, I wouldnt argue with you there. Thats what happens when your defense gives up 34 points per game on the season! 

True, but if we've learned anything at all from following the Geno lovers this season, it's that wins and losses fall 100% on one player and one player only...the quarterback.  No running game?  Doesn't matter.  Defense didn't show up?  Doesn't matter.  Interception or fumble because QB was hit as he thew when an O-lineman missed a block?  Meaningless.

All that ever matters in every loss is the quarterback, that's it.

So the extrapolated 0-16 for Geno pretty much tells us what we have in him, right?

3 hours ago, cant wait said:

Outside of the fact that there arent millions of hobbits running around like monkeys today (which was my point), I find it sort of suspicious that these "discoveries" are always made by some scientist, which given their work will always have an agenda to keep their "research/funding" flowing. And its never anything living, and its always in a remote place, and since this earth is allegedly billions of years old and evolution has been happening over millions of years then these bones (and living hobbits...since we came from monkeys) should be all over the damn place....like the way monkeys and humans are. 

My bad, I guess I should have been straight forward. I dont believe them. lol. 

Like the rising sun, taxes, and death, nothing is as sure a thing as pre-pre-season hype over how this Jets QB or that "gets it now", "has the strongest arm it's ever been", or, gotta love it, "has taken giant steps". 

Yeah, sure.  Wake we when we get to see it in the regular season, in games that count, thanks.

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

True, but if we've learned anything at all from following the Geno lovers this season, it's that wins and losses fall 100% on one player and one player only...the quarterback.  No running game?  Doesn't matter.  Defense didn't show up?  Doesn't matter.  Interception or fumble because QB was hit as he thew when an O-lineman missed a block?  Meaningless.

So the extrapolated 0-16 for Geno pretty much tells us what we have in him, right?

I dont know what Geno lovers you've been following...but maybe you should think for yourself. Then you wont be in such a pigeonhole. 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

I dont know what Geno lovers you've been following...but maybe you should think for yourself. Then you wont be in such a pigeonhole. 

I'm not in one.  I've already said that my ideal scenario would be for Fitz to come back and bring stability to the position with one of the other QB's hopefully stealing the job from him after the first 5 or 6 games of the year.  I'm not tied to any QB, I'm tied to establishing stability with Fitz while the kids grow.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Now things are starting to make more sense about you.  

That tends to happen when I open my mouth. 

I look around the classroom and im like "The teacher just said some ridiculous sh*t, yet im the only one that stopped writing and popped my head up with a question. Everyone else is still writing as if coming from monkeys/algae soup made sense". lol. 

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

I'm not in one.  I've already said that my ideal scenario would be for Fitz to come back and bring stability to the position with one of the other QB's hopefully stealing the job from him after the first 5 or 6 games of the year.  I'm not tied to any QB, I'm tied to establishing stability with Fitz while the kids grow.

How much do you want the Jets to pay for "stability?" How many years?

4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Then what you said earlier was for no reason? The whole "following Geno Lovers"??? 

You had me thinking "What does that have to do with me"? 

Just now, YankeeJet22 said:

How much do you want the Jets to pay for "stability?" How many years?

In a perfect world?  2 years at vet minimum.

In reality?  2 years.  Year 2 is a team option.  $10-11 mil in year one is guaranteed with year 2 based on incentives, worth up to another $10-11 million.

Something in that ballpark.

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Then what you said earlier was for no reason? The whole "following Geno Lovers"??? 

You had me thinking "What does that have to do with me"? 

Not necessarily you, but those who claim QB's win and lose football games all on their own.

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Not necessarily you, but those who claim QB's win and lose football games all on their own.

Oh, Im not one of those. 

IF Geno Smith threw for 4,300 yards, 32 TD's and rushed for 550 yards and the Jets went 0-16 the last person im looking at as the problem is Geno Smith. 

13 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Oh, Im not one of those. 

IF Geno Smith threw for 4,300 yards, 32 TD's and rushed for 550 yards and the Jets went 0-16 the last person im looking at as the problem is Geno Smith. 

Me neither, but I'd feel a lot better about his performance against Oakland if it wasn't in a blowout loss with an easy dropped pick-6 by an Oakland CB and Geno running scared/out of bounds under pressure taking a loss for yards just like he did in seasons 1 and 2.  

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Me neither, but I'd feel a lot better about his performance against Oakland if it wasn't in a blowout loss with an easy dropped pick-6 by an Oakland CB and Geno running scared/out of bounds under pressure taking a loss for yards just like he did in seasons 1 and 2.  

I'd feel alot better once Geno Smith is able to get some reps with the 1's as well has having a preseason and being able to start the season off with the starters so he'll have that chemistry going into a week 8 Raiders game. Not coming in cold like that. 

I also want guys like Charone Peake and Devins Smith to be able to develop and be useful as well. No reason to have deep threats with a QB that cant throw the ball properly past 20 yards. 

There's pro's and cons with both quarterbacks. However, holding Geno to a raiders game that he didnt start, came in cold, had no reps and had zero chemistry in my eyes is just ignoring the facts. 

IMO, people should be more concerned about a guy who basically folded under pressure in week 17 literally throwing 3 ints in a row with the playoffs on the line. to me thats worse than a guy coming in cold and having a guy drop an INT. 

27 minutes ago, AFJF said:

In a perfect world?  2 years at vet minimum.

In reality?  2 years.  Year 2 is a team option.  $10-11 mil in year one is guaranteed with year 2 based on incentives, worth up to another $10-11 million.

Something in that ballpark.

so you want to pay him 11 mil, even though you want  "one of the other QB's hopefully stealing the job from him after the first 5 or 6 games of the year."  

not bustin your balls.  You see, I'm not a Geno lover, but I would rather go with him and not waste salary space and time on Fitz, when I know, like you know, he's gonna lose his job to one of the youngins.

24 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Oh, Im not one of those. 

Oh sure. But extrapolate the stupid hits he took in that game and how long does he last? How many stupid decisions did him make in that game? Extrapolate that and how long does he stay starting QB?

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Oh sure. But extrapolate the stupid hits he took in that game and how long does he last? How many stupid decisions did him make in that game? Extrapolate that and how long does he stay starting QB?

You mean like the stupid hit that knocked FItzpatrick out of the game which was why Geno was playing in the first place? lol. 

Just now, YankeeJet22 said:

so you want to pay him 11 mil, even though you want  "one of the other QB's hopefully stealing the job from him after the first 5 or 6 games of the year."  

not bustin your balls.  You see, I'm not a Geno lover, but I would rather go with him and not waste salary space and time on Fitz, when I know, like you know, he's gonna lose his job to one of the youngins.

Yes.  This is because while I do want one of the kids to take his job, it doesn't mean one of them will.  You gotta' pay him to be what he is right now...the starting QB who led them to the 11th ranked scoring offense in the NFL last season.  If he were 24 years old he'd be worth $20 mil per season, but he's 34 so he gets nowhere near that much.

If he gets $11 million and one of the kids picks up enough from him to take over as the starter at some point, are any of us really going to care about the $11 million Fitz got when there's a good chance we'll finally have a quality young QB?  Me personally, with all the money they have set to come off the books, wouldn't care much at all.

35 minutes ago, AFJF said:

How does changing QBs after 5 or 6 games bring stability to the position? 

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I'd feel alot better once Geno Smith is able to get some reps with the 1's as well has having a preseason and being able to start the season off with the starters so he'll have that chemistry going into a week 8 Raiders game. Not coming in cold like that. 

I also want guys like Charone Peake and Devins Smith to be able to develop and be useful as well. No reason to have deep threats with a QB that cant throw the ball properly past 20 yards. 

There's pro's and cons with both quarterbacks. However, holding Geno to a raiders game that he didnt start, came in cold, had no reps and had zero chemistry in my eyes is just ignoring the facts. 

IMO, people should be more concerned about a guy who basically folded under pressure in week 17 literally throwing 3 ints in a row with the playoffs on the line. to me thats worse than a guy coming in cold and having a guy drop an INT. 

To each his own Villain, but I don't think a QB turns the ball over 42 times in 30 games because his receivers are no good...he's gotta' own a huge portion of that.   

Add to that the fact that he failed to connect with said bad receivers on countless key plays that could have changed the outcome of several games when they were in fact wide open and I'm afraid I can't sit here and make a ton of excuses for him.

6 minutes ago, AFJF said:

To each his own Villain, but I don't think a QB turns the ball over 42 times in 30 games because his receivers are no good...he's gotta' own a huge portion of that.   

Add to that the fact that he failed to connect with said bad receivers on countless key plays that could have changed the outcome of several games when they were in fact wide open and I'm afraid I can't sit here and make a ton of excuses for him.

To each his own AFJF, Ryan Fitzpatrick had 27 turnovers in just 16 games in 2011....and he owned a huge portion of that didnt he? 

Why does Ryan Fitzpatrick's past continuously get ignored yet Geno Smith is somehow incapable of getting better when we all know he was around sh*t his first two years yet in his current team is leaps and bounds better on every level from offense, to defense to coaching? 

This doesnt make sense to me, even if its "to each his own". Its straight up favoritism. 

6 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

You mean like the stupid hit that knocked FItzpatrick out of the game which was why Geno was playing in the first place? lol. 

No. That was a freak accident. Geno's was dumb. Step out of bounds, you're the only healthy QB able to play in the game. Take no chances. Just shows his lack of growth. 

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

How does changing QBs after 5 or 6 games bring stability to the position? 

His presence brings stability if one of the kids doesn't develop.  Me saying I would like one of the kids to develop and take the job after five or six games does not mean they will and I don't think the Jets should blindly assume they will.  If Geno continues to play as he has, he should be dumped after camp.  If Petty and Hack need more time, the Jets can afford to give it to them while Fitz is plenty good to win games if the defense plays up to it's full potential and doesn't lose games to the likes of TJ Yates and Sam Bradford.

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

To each his own AFJF, Ryan Fitzpatrick had 27 turnovers in just 16 games in 2011....and he owned a huge portion of that didnt he? 

Why does Ryan Fitzpatrick's past continuously get ignored yet Geno Smith is somehow incapable of getting better when we all know he was around sh*t his first two year yet in his current team is leaps and bounds better on every level from offense, to defense to coaching? 

This is what doesnt make sense to me, even if its "to each his own". Its straight up favoritism. 

Yes, but the difference between Fitz and Geno is that Fitz generally throws more TD's than he commits turnovers.  Put points on the board (11th scoring offense in the NFL) and I can live with turnovers.  Finish 29th in scoring while averaging over 20 turnovers a year...that's bad QB play IMO.

I've never ignored Fitz's past, but I look at it fairly and that upsets a lot of people.  I did an article on him after he was acquired to show that he's a decent QB who puts the ball in the end zone who has played on some horrible teams. He was exactly what I expected him to be which was a HUGE upgrade from Sanchez and Geno.  

I just hope it's not too late to trade for Glennon.

56 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Yet, Fitz lovers wants to give him credit for every win.

Nice way to contradict yourself, fool.

Archived