Jets -- One of the Most Improved Defenses in Draft?

I'm guessing at least one of our posters will not agree with the analysis... :)

Six teams that improved most on defense in 2016 NFL Draft

JAX_logo.png

1. Jacksonville Jaguars

» Jaguars' 2016 draft class
No matter where Jalen Ramsey lines up in the secondary, Gus Bradley will surely have Ramsey in the lineup as he looks to use his size and playmaking potential from Day 1. For some, the fact that Myles Jack played so many different positions in college was viewed as a negative because they didn't feel like they had a grasp of where he best fit. I see Jacksonville as the perfect landing spot for his hybrid talents on the defensive side. While Yannick Ngakoue and Tyrone Holmes have some traits and could end up battling for playing time within the next year or so, Sheldon Day has right-now ability. Day isn't a perfect fit outside or inside up front due to his "tweener" size, but he has great feet and can be disruptive.

NYJ_logo.png

2. New York Jets

» Jets' 2016 draft class
The addition of linebacker Darron Lee helps in so many different ways for the Jets. Lee's speed and range will allow him to make some tackles that the Jets' inside 'backers couldn't get to in years past. The fact that he's good in coverage and as a blitzer simply adds even more three-down value. Jordan Jenkins is more of an edge-setter than a pass rusher off the edge, but he's tough and comes in with a pro-ready style that fits the Jets' personality. Fourth-round cornerback Juston Burris offers up size and matchup ability to work against some of the bigger targets in nickel coverage. With a willingness to tackle, Burris could find the field this season.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Anytime you get younger and faster at a position where you're old and slow you have improved the team.

The Jets needed to do that and they did. 

And without signing overpriced beat up free agents. I like It.

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The team is improved but it doesn't mean the record will...

exactly but Im just being a wise ass. I never put much into  strength of Schedule because things change from year to year and team match ups is where you get your real SOS sometimes a .500 club matches up well against a .900 club its the way of the NFL Some teams beat up on weak divisions. Sometimes you face a team with Injuries at the right time. Bottom line is you never know and that's why I feel people who push to heavily on SOS are worrying for nothing. That's why we play the games. ( oh no not a Herm reference) :P

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

exactly but Im just being a wise ass. I never put much into  strength of Schedule because things change from year to year and team match ups is where you get your real SOS sometimes a .500 club matches up well against a .900 club its the way of the NFL Some teams beat up on weak divisions. Sometimes you face a team with Injuries at the right time. Bottom line is you never know and that's why I feel people who push to heavily on SOS are worrying for nothing. That's why we play the games. ( oh no not a Herm reference) :P

I agree completely with your premise.  Looking forward is very hard to do in the NFL..but you can look back.  And I think most of us will agree that last year's schedule was unusually soft, to say the least.  We ended up having a weak SOS on top of catching the better teams at the right time.  

The likelihood of repeating something like that in the near future is small.  Don't get me wrong, I like the way the team is heading, but I am concerned about this upcoming season.

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I agree completely with your premise.  Looking forward is very hard to do in the NFL..but you can look back.  And I think most of us will agree that last year's schedule was unusually soft, to say the least.  We ended up having a weak SOS on top of catching the better teams at the right time.  

The likelihood of repeating something like that in the near future is small.  Don't get me wrong, I like the way the team is heading, but I am concerned about this upcoming season.

I think people are underestimating just how much this team Improved on Offense as well as defense. We are better than a lot of those teams on our schedule we just have to come prepared to play every week and yes we need some breaks as well. When you learn how to win those breaks present themselves much more often, the good teams always seem to get lucky, they always seem to get the call, that's what we have to learn how to do. That is as big on the coaching as anything and that's what we need to be looking to put us over the hump vs these tougher teams. The better coach is the difference when you have 2 very good teams the game plan means everything. The adjustments at the half. Tahst how you win games with talented rosters facing one another as well 

40 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

But, but, how can we improve with the tougher schedule and all.

It really doesn't matter what these guys think of a draft before these players play one game.   More relevant to judge the draft-  at least at the end of next season.( when we see them prove it on the field- probably takes full three years to fully judge a draft.

2 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

I'm guessing at least one of our posters will not agree with the analysis... :)

Six teams that improved most on defense in 2016 NFL Draft

JAX_logo.png

1. Jacksonville Jaguars

» Jaguars' 2016 draft class
No matter where Jalen Ramsey lines up in the secondary, Gus Bradley will surely have Ramsey in the lineup as he looks to use his size and playmaking potential from Day 1. For some, the fact that Myles Jack played so many different positions in college was viewed as a negative because they didn't feel like they had a grasp of where he best fit. I see Jacksonville as the perfect landing spot for his hybrid talents on the defensive side. While Yannick Ngakoue and Tyrone Holmes have some traits and could end up battling for playing time within the next year or so, Sheldon Day has right-now ability. Day isn't a perfect fit outside or inside up front due to his "tweener" size, but he has great feet and can be disruptive.

NYJ_logo.png

2. New York Jets

» Jets' 2016 draft class
The addition of linebacker Darron Lee helps in so many different ways for the Jets. Lee's speed and range will allow him to make some tackles that the Jets' inside 'backers couldn't get to in years past. The fact that he's good in coverage and as a blitzer simply adds even more three-down value. Jordan Jenkins is more of an edge-setter than a pass rusher off the edge, but he's tough and comes in with a pro-ready style that fits the Jets' personality. Fourth-round cornerback Juston Burris offers up size and matchup ability to work against some of the bigger targets in nickel coverage. With a willingness to tackle, Burris could find the field this season.

Thank you but you should always provide a link to the source so others may read the whole article if they are inclined and also to credit the source with clicks! :)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000662972/article/six-teams-that-improved-most-on-defense-in-2016-nfl-draft 

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

Eggzactlee.   It is not as if strength of schedule is not a factor.  The problem is how much of a factor it is is difficult to quantify in advance, especially as far in advance as we are right now compared to not only opening day but as the season plays out.  For example it is easy to be concerned about Seattle being on the schedule, but they were a different team at different times of last season.  How and why is not important to the immediate discussion, the general point being that you can't say this far in advance what those opponents will look like on Opening Day and then later when the Jets actually play them.

Last off season and coming off the 4-12 season in 14 there were very few Jet fans who were saying that the strength of schedule in 15 would prove to be easy.  Many feared the schedule.  It's just not something you should be trying to accurately quantify so far in advance.

As for the OP article, I think the Jet D can very well be an improved one given the draft.  Last year this time I think many were expecting D Davis to step up and he didn't, and in general the linebackers suffered from that.  Mauldin didn't show much until later, and he then showed real improvement, but that was later in the season.  Add the new guys and it's hard to see how the linebackers won't be better, perhaps much better.

28 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

As for the OP article, I think the Jet D can very well be an improved one given the draft.  Last year this time I think many were expecting D Davis to step up and he didn't, and in general the linebackers suffered from that.  Mauldin didn't show much until later, and he then showed real improvement, but that was later in the season.  Add the new guys and it's hard to see how the linebackers won't be better, perhaps much better.

and we have to give Mac credit from bringing Henderson in when  most of us thought Davis would be the man going forward.

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I think people are underestimating just how much this team Improved on Offense as well as defense. We are better than a lot of those teams on our schedule we just have to come prepared to play every week and yes we need some breaks as well. When you learn how to win those breaks present themselves much more often, the good teams always seem to get lucky, they always seem to get the call, that's what we have to learn how to do. That is as big on the coaching as anything and that's what we need to be looking to put us over the hump vs these tougher teams. The better coach is the difference when you have 2 very good teams the game plan means everything. The adjustments at the half. Tahst how you win games with talented rosters facing one another as well 

This.

Game Planning,Execution and +Turnover ratio every game goes a long way towards surprising the "Experts"

Gailey is good at game planning. Some quality, high football IQ veterans on offense could really make some plays. But the TO's?

That will make or break us this yr. at the QB position.

Now that Bowles has gotten some speed on "D" I'm hoping he gets better at game planning.

Last yr's Buffalo and Oakland games were Piss Poor for in-game adjustments.

Hopefully a Happy Mo (new contract) a quality punter and a repeat on Offense get us to the PO

Archived