Buster Skrine ~ ~ ~

kelly

Buster Skrine thinks the Jets' secondary was "good" last season, its first under head coach Todd Bowles, defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers, and with several new players, including Skrine. But Skrine thinks last year was just the beginning.

"Just building off of last year," Skrine said Monday at teammate David Harris'charity golf outing, which benefits the Give The Kids Hope Foundation.

"Second time in the system. I think we're gonna have a great secondary this year. I thought we were good last year, but we can be even better."Last year, Football Outsiders ranked the Jets ninth in DVOA against the pass. The Jets had 18 interceptions—fifth-best in the league—and the secondary accounted for every one of those picks.

Skrine remains the wild card in the Jets' defensive backfield.

Last year, he proved to be a valuable addition as a nickel corner, in what effectively was the Jets' base defense. But with the Jets having cut veteran Antonio Cromartie this offseason, Skrine's exact role will become more of a focal point this summer.Bowles has said Skrine will enter training camp as Cromartie's replacement at starting outside cornerback opposite Darrelle Revis. But nothing is etched in stone: The Jets still have a deep pool of corners to compete for a spot either on the outside or inside in the slot.Skrine said he has no preference. He had played both inside and outside with his previous team, the Browns. And he said the Browns mostly used him outside on first and second down, before bumping him inside on third down.

Monday, Skrine said he has no preference."I think I'll do both," he said. "As it goes on we'll find out."

In the first round, the Jets drafted Ohio State linebacker Darron Lee, whom they plan to utilize as a hybrid inside linebacker/safety because of his cover skills and speed. Skrine likes that idea."I've never really seen him play, to be honest with you," Skrine said. "But just seeing him run around ... in the league, all they do is pass nowadays. You've got a couple teams with good running backs, so it's important that we got him."

Skrine also spoke highly of cornerback Marcus Williams, who had a team-high six interceptions in 2015 despite playing just 27 percent of the snaps. Williams was a dime corner and an injury replacement, but can he handle the load full-time? And how much of a push might he get from rookie Juston Burris, a fourth-round pick whose specialty is press coverage?

Skrine thinks Williams is the man to beat."He can handle it," Skrine said of Williams. "He can play outside, inside. I definitely think he deserves more playing time, because he brings the production."

>       http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/05/buster_skrine_jets_going_to_have_a_great_secondary.html#incart_river_index

I'm getting real tired of these off-season puff pieces that say how good players were the year before and how they're going to be even better this year. The NY media market should be better than this. It should be the best writers doing actual writing. It's terrible and so is Buster Skrine. If they are counting on him to live up to the contract he was gifted, they're going to be massively disappointed. He was below average on the outside when playing there and below average in the slot. He was torched game in and game out. Maybe he was injured and that impacted his play, but if you have an injury and you're a detriment to the team, then it's time to find the bench and see what someone else can do. I would love to see McDougle get a shot in the slot. He couldn't be any worse than Skrine was last season.

Our CB's are a pretty serious concern right now IMO.

Revis looked like half the old Revis, barely adequate, for much of the year.  Now, he says he was hurt, ok, so lets hope thats the issue because his cost should come with elite play or he is a huge waste of capspace.

Skrine was ok, mostly, as a #3.  Not great, ok.  I hope he's up for being a legit #2.

Behind them is alot of ?  Milliner, the other young draft pick and some kids.  All big ? IMO.

Not sad Cro was moved, he was a weak link, but we have alot of CB's with ALOT to prove in 2016.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Revis looked like half the old Revis, barely adequate, for much of the year.  Now, he says he was hurt, ok, so lets hope thats the issue because his cost should come with elite play or he is a huge waste of capspace.

Skrine was ok, mostly, as a #3.  Not great, ok.  I hope he's up for being a legit #2.

Behind them is alot of ?  Milliner, the other young draft pick and some kids.  All big ? IMO.

Not sad Cro was moved, he was a weak link, but we have alot of CB's with ALOT to prove in 2016.

I agree. But I will say you are underestimating Revis' impact last year. His massive contract aside. He still played like a legit #1 CB. 'barely adequate' is a completely unfair assessment. He had 4 fumbles recovered (career high) and 5 ints (1 shy of his career high). Yes, he lost a step. But without getting into the analytics, generally speaking when you watched him, he still held the opposing #1 WR in check. QBs were still wary of targeting him. He can still prevent the deep ball (even though he was beat a few times- which happens with every CB). I think people are still holding him to this standard of being the best CB EVER, and when he doesn't dominate like he did 3 -4 years ago, people say he is 'barely adequate'. That's a joke. He is still be of the best CBs in the league, I would say top 10.  

I would also say a lot of people are underestimating M.Williams and how good he can be. He really never had the opportunity of a starter and still made a huge imjpact last season. When he DID get a chance to start he held his own, I mean he really played well in man coverage as the #2 guy. Bowles is old school and he;s not just going to hand Williams the #2 spot now that Cro was let go. But I really believe Williams will earn that spot across from Revis once all is said and done and Revis, Williams and Skrine will solidify the 3 starting CB spot. Whatever progress we see from Milliner, McDougle and the rest of the depth will only add to the improvement of the secondary. Not to mention the continued improvement of Pryor and the addition of Lee will make to the secondary.    

I really dont get some of Bowles decisions.  Williams seems perfectly suited for the outside and Skrine seems like a much better fit in the nickel package.  It's weird just like when it was obvious that Wiliams was 10x better than Cro last year but he kept rolling out Cro game after game. 

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Skrine sux

Jets had many games where they were lacking a pass rush which puts tremendous pressure on the inside slot/nickel corners. Guys like Edelman steal everybodies lunch money & are a pain in the azz to stop. I expect our pass rush to pick it up this year with the addition of more speed at LB. That & being the 2nd year in the system should make them better, and I think a Marcus a Williams wins the 2nd CB spot & should have last year (hard to sit Cro if healthy making 9 mill or whatever he was making).

5 hours ago, JiF said:

I really dont get some of Bowles decisions.  Williams seems perfectly suited for the outside and Skrine seems like a much better fit in the nickel package.  It's weird just like when it was obvious that Wiliams was 10x better than Cro last year but he kept rolling out Cro game after game. 

I think Cro was hurt too. He got a little better as the year went on. Williams was very good when he played in the relief role and about average when he was starting. We'll have to wait and see if he can play the outside with his back to the ball more. Hopefully, he'll improve his tackling as well. It was not his strong suit last season.

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

I agree, the position looks thin on paper.

I think during the period of time where we had Revis and Cro playing at pretty elite levels, we sort of saw a mirage... the league's rules don't favor CBs shutting down WRs, what we had here was kind of the anomaly. So much so that it hid the HUGE problem that no pass rush was for us. 

Eliter players in the front seven, with speed in coverage and pass rush technique is going to help the pass defense... so much so, that I'd think we can continue to have very good pass defense without paying for elite CBs year after year.

Though having the elite ones is nice... :)

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Skrine got picked on and always gave it up

47 minutes ago, JiF said:

He was money before the injury.  I think it had a big impact on his ability to check WR's at the LOS and tackle. 

JIF is correct.

28 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I agree, the position looks thin on paper.

I think during the period of time where we had Revis and Cro playing at pretty elite levels, we sort of saw a mirage... the league's rules don't favor CBs shutting down WRs, what we had here was kind of the anomaly. So much so that it hid the HUGE problem that no pass rush was for us. 

Eliter players in the front seven, with speed in coverage and pass rush technique is going to help the pass defense... so much so, that I'd think we can continue to have very good pass defense without paying for elite CBs year after year.

Though having the elite ones is nice... :)

Problem being we don't have an elite front 7.

We have two that are borderline elite, Wilkerson and Richardson.  We have one that could be, Williams.  Thats three DE's.

Our DT's are average now with Snacks gone, and our LB'ers are either old (Harris) and slow, or young (Lee) and unproven.

I'm comfortable with this D, but there are far more ? than there are ! right now.  It could go either way, and if we've very weak at CB, which we could be, and we can't make up for it with pass rush, we're sunk in this era.

Just now, Warfish said:

We have two that are borderline elite, Wilkerson and Richardson.  We have one that could be, Williams.  Thats three DE's.

Our DT's are average now with Snacks gone, and our LB'ers are either old (Harris) and slow, or young (Lee) and unproven.

I'm comfortable with this D, but there are far more ? than there are ! right now.  It could go either way, and if we've very weak at CB, which we could be, and we can't make up for it with pass rush, we're sunk in this era.

I think you need to factor in Miles and Bailey when you talk about the secondary.  I see them getting more run than say, Milliner, McDougle and Burris.  If you factor in that they're going to keep 4 safeties, 2 of which with range and can play a little CB...its a little deeper than it appears. 

Also, he's probably more of a ST's guy but Darrly Morris has played in spots for the Texans, both inside and out.  He could provide spot depth.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

We don't actually know what we have right now. Substantial turnover in our front-7 this offseason... elite isn't a person-by-person result, it's the sum of the parts. My post is about trying to get to an elite front-7, rather than suggesting we're already there - when we haven't seen this collection of players play a single snap.

We know what we had, which is always such a hard thing for Jet fans to let go of. 

What I like about this article (and the other recent player quotes) is that the team is starting to develop a new identity after the circus atmosphere left town.

Skrine is 27 on the 2nd year of a 5 year deal, I am sure he is being pushed to earn his contract, plus the added LB speed will help the DB's and that should make the preseason more interesting, just have to hope it translates into more wins next year...

and the ______ are facing a 3rd and long against this aggressive todd bowles defense, this is not the situation you want to be in, and here's the snap and whoa !  first down !  skrine on the coverage.......

that was once a game at least

teams targeted skrine when they needed a clutch play and he always gave it up

22 hours ago, Warfish said:

Yep people complained about the Burris pick....

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep people complained about the Burris pick....

I thought they'd take Alexander in the 2nd round because he probably was the BPA, but they went Hack. We'll have to wait and see how it plays out. Although, most would have complained about 2 defensive players in a row (3 with eventual Jenkins).

11 hours ago, Larz said:

and the ______ are facing a 3rd and long against this aggressive todd bowles defense, this is not the situation you want to be in, and here's the snap and whoa !  first down !  skrine on the coverage.......

that was once a game at least

teams targeted skrine when they needed a clutch play and he always gave it up

He's pretty much the only CB in the league to allow a 1st down on 3rd down.

13 minutes ago, JiF said:

He's pretty much the only CB in the league to allow a 1st down on 3rd down.

It's like people don't watch football outside of the Jets.  Average QB's are throwing for 4,000 yards left and right yet we're the only D out there that has some issues getting off the field on 3rd down.

Ummm, lets not forget that Skrine also added a dimension to the Jets blitz scheme we have not see for a while. He was able to put pressure on the QB as a Nickle blitzer and did so on a consistent basis. 

Lest we forget. 

Skrine was solid. Stop the nonsense. And spare me the analytics. I know what I saw.

M.Williams was more than decent as a STARTING #2 CB the few times he got the chance. He was good. He deserves to start across from Revis. If Bowles wasn't such an old school coach he would have already named him as the #2 guy. But Williams will earn that spot in camp anyway- just watch. Skrine is more suited to play Nickel anyway- see above point about his ability to blitz. 

Pryor had a much improved year. He could very well have a breakout year this season. 

Our secondary is in good shape. Anything our depth can add  (Milliner, McDougle, Burris and our safeties) will be the cherry on top. Our defense in general is looking to be SCARY if all the pieces start to come together. You look at it as a unit and its DANGEROUS. 

My biggest concern about the Jets is how the O-line will hold up and the QB play. Those two things will make or break the Jets season.  

19 hours ago, Warfish said:

What about Erin Henderson? He's not old and slow. What about Lorenzo Mauldin? He's young but had a solid season as a rookie last year. Erin Henderson is better than Demario Davis. Lorenzo Mauldin is better than Quinton Coples. Hitman is slow but we all know that he's good for 100+ tackles this season. The only true "if" we have is at LOLB which Jordan Jenkins will most likely be starting. However, if in his rookie year even if he isnt as good as Calvin Pace given his youth and learning the system, I think its fair to say that we most definitely upgraded at MLB with Erin Henderson replacing Davis and Mauldin in his 2nd season replacing Coples. Anything that Lee provides (speed) would just be icing on the cake wouldnt it? 

I think (as in opine) that our LB Corp. will be better.

But that is speculation on my part, there is no evidence of that as yet.

And we both know how you feel about speculation.

So taking our current LB Corp. at factual non-speculative "face value", as you prefer, my comments stand. 

46 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Skrine was solid. Stop the nonsense. And spare me the analytics. I know what I saw.

No. He wasn't. He was far below average or replacement level. One of the worst among starting corners in the NFL. And you can "see" whatever you like, but analytics are basically people paid to watch the games and rate it based on what they saw. I'll take their eyes over yours.

4 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

No. He wasn't. He was far below average or replacement level. One of the worst among starting corners in the NFL. And you can "see" whatever you like, but analytics are basically people paid to watch the games and rate it based on what they saw. I'll take their eyes over yours.

Analytics also say Fitzpatrick was a bottom ten quarterback, but you won't take theirs eyes over anyone's on that.

Funny

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Link please?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-pffs-2015-nfl-quarterback-rankings/

http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/02/29/pff-says-jets-shouldnt-re-sign-or-bring-back-ryan-fitzpatrick/

"They will probably overpay for quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick (59.6), but they shouldn’t. His yardage and touchdown totals of 3,905 and 31 look impressive, but those had more to do with the players around him and his total number of pass attempts than his ability. His NFL QB rating of 88.0 was the lowest for quarterbacks with 550 or more attempts. He was the least accurate quarterback on deep passes among those with more than 10 deep attempts, posting an accuracy percentage of 31.4 in those situations."

https://mobile.twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/709088677604036608/photo/1

16 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

Analytics also say Fitzpatrick was a bottom ten quarterback, but you won't take theirs eyes over anyone's on that.

Funny

When did I claim that Fitz was a top of the line QB? All I have said is that he gives the Jets the best chance to win. Which they did 10 times last season. You remember that right?

Archived