Buster Skrine ~ ~ ~

kelly

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 10:03 AM, Warfish said:

Our CB's are a pretty serious concern right now IMO.

Revis looked like half the old Revis, barely adequate, for much of the year.  Now, he says he was hurt, ok, so lets hope thats the issue because his cost should come with elite play or he is a huge waste of capspace.

Skrine was ok, mostly, as a #3.  Not great, ok.  I hope he's up for being a legit #2.

Behind them is alot of ?  Milliner, the other young draft pick and some kids.  All big ? IMO.

Not sad Cro was moved, he was a weak link, but we have alot of CB's with ALOT to prove in 2016.

Im a bit worried about our CB position also my hope is that our young new LBs are able to pressure the QB into making bad throws that will make our CBs look good.

21 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

No. He wasn't. He was far below average or replacement level. One of the worst among starting corners in the NFL. And you can "see" whatever you like, but analytics are basically people paid to watch the games and rate it based on what they saw. I'll take their eyes over yours.

No, analytics is people watching games and recording specific stats, A LOT of stats. Then using those stats to analyze the performance of a player. And stats never tell the full story.  

50 minutes ago, PepPep said:

No, analytics is people watching games and recording specific stats, A LOT of stats. Then using those stats to analyze the performance of a player. And stats never tell the full story.  

So, what exactly do stats not tell? Either you're good at the job or you're bad at the job. Skrine was not good last season, and in fact, he never really has been. He's not performing up to his salary. That's the bottom line here.

5 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

So, what exactly do stats not tell? Either you're good at the job or you're bad at the job. Skrine was not good last season, and in fact, he never really has been. He's not performing up to his salary. That's the bottom line here.

Sounds like hard science, but advanced stats have liked Skrine for a while now. Not the first time I've posted this link to blind eyes, but Aaron Schatz of FO fielded a question on Skrine before last season:

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2015/8/31/9231291/jets-season-preview-five-questions-with-football-outsiders

Last year, Skrine ranked 41st out of 77 qualifying cornerbacks in success rate and 32nd in adjusted yards per pass. In 2013, Skrine ranked 39th in success rate and a surprising third in adjusted yards per pass. He’s been one of the most targeted cornerbacks in the league the last couple years, which is also a telling number about how opponents regarded Skrine compared to Joe Haden. But given all those targets, Skrine has been a starting cornerback of reasonable quality.

FO hasn't released any for 2015/2016 that I have seen, but my guess is that he's fine and this is just the default fan opinion about any decent, notable, or better player who made it beyond the rookie deal.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/free-agency-five-worst-signings/

Buster Skrine, CB, New York Jets

This one didn’t make sense at the time, but made even less sense after the Jets signed Antonio Cromartie for an even more lucrative deal just days later. Performance aside, they paid Skrine the 15th-most guaranteed money (four-year, $25m, $13m guaranteed) of any cornerback in the league to come in and be the Jets’ nickel corner. That’s bad business from the outset. When you look at Skrine’s past production it gets even worse.

The fifth-year cornerback was the weak link in the Browns’ secondary ever since he was thrust into the nickelback role in 2012. Skrine was promoted to starter in 2013 and turned in overall grades of 12.1 and -6.3 in the two subsequent seasons. He’s simply been a below average player over the course of his career, and even though he has played slot corner, he’s never stood out. His lowest passer rating against from the slot over the past three seasons is 95.5 and that came last year.

There are two other pretty glaring concerns with the deal, the first being Skrine’s limited stature at 5-foot-9 and 185 pounds. Undersized corners around the league tend to have a suppressed market due to many teams being unwilling to sign them. The other issue is Skrine’s egregious penalty problem from a year ago. He committed 17 penalties, the most at the position in the PFF era. There are so many red flags in this deal that it is easily the worst one we’ve seen yet this offseason.

Skrine played great in the beginning of the year before getting hurt. Skrine plays in the toughest nickel spot where you have no sideline to protect you. Just look at Revis when he trails inside without the use of the sideline. Much more difficult! Jarvis Landry had Revis stuck in mud a couple of times. It's the pass rush that helps the secondary stats, the rules are way to difficult (can't touch, pull, or impede after 5 yards), for anyone to cover without pressure on the QB. Especially the better ones. 

Watch redzone & you'll see it all the time on 3rd down without pressure, you just KNOW when the QB let's it go it's probably going to go for a 1st down. I do it all the time when our defense doesn't get pressure, you scream at the TV, "COME ON"! The pass is completed & you scream, "Jesus Christ, where the hell is our f*cking 1st round Dline!"

Jets have a one of the better secondaries in the league & are very deep at safety with Pryor, Gilchrist, Jarrett, Bailey. Bowles & Macc knew they needed to speed up the blitzes, and everywhere within 15 yards of the LOS.

6 hours ago, Jetster said:

Jets have a one of the better secondaries in the league & are very deep at safety with Pryor, Gilchrist, Jarrett, Bailey. Bowles & Macc knew they needed to speed up the blitzes, and everywhere within 15 yards of the LOS.

Completely agree with this and believe the weakness in the Jets' D was with their molasses slow LBs and a toast Cromartie.

IMHO, what would further improve the Jets defense is for the coaching staff to put Revis on the #2 receiver and double the better #1 receivers in the league.  Revis is not 25 yrs old anymore but he's still good enough to handle the 2 bananas of the league .

8 hours ago, Tinstar said:

IMHO, what would further improve the Jets defense is for the coaching staff to put Revis on the #2 receiver and double the better #1 receivers in the league.  Revis is not 25 yrs old anymore but he's still good enough to handle the 2 bananas of the league .

Had they done this vs Texans & Bills, Jets would have been in the playoffs last year! They had no one to worry about but Hopkins & with a backup QB to boot! This isn't rocket science, double or triple Hopkins & force the backup to go somewhere else. Someone else mentioned this regarding Kacy Rodgers, the jury is still out. I hate coaches learning on the job.

I can't blame Rodgers for this because while he has the title of Defensive Coordinator, everyone knows who calls the defense on game day.  The other factor regarding the Bills game is the issue with the Revis injury, when it occurred, how serious it was and when did the coaching staff 1st had knowledge of it .  The question that must be asked is did this injury play any part in the way Revis played in the Bills game or was his play the result of a faulty game plan ? 

Skrine Getting Corner Feel Back

Versatile DB Would Welcome a Change of Roles

After a year on the inside with the Jets, Buster Skrineicon-article-link.gif could see a lot more action on the outside in 2016.  There is a vacancy across from Darrelle Revisicon-article-link.gif and head coach Todd Bowles has said Skrine will probably start out at corner when training camp commences in July.

“Back at corner, I just want to get that feel back,” Skrine said this week after an OTA. “Just build that relationship with my safeties, so I’m back at base. I just want to get that corner feeling back. I haven’t done it since Cleveland, but that’s what I wanted to do since I came here.”When the Jets rebuilt their secondary last spring, Skrine agreed to terms first and then Revis and Antonio Cromartie rejoined New York’s AFC representative. Skrine assumed the role of nickel back and he played well despite just one interception and eight passes defended. He totaled 65 tackles (54 solos) along the way while playing one of the most difficult positions in sports.

“When you’re at nickel, most of the times the slot has an option route, so it’s like he’s optioning off your leverage and you’re just chasing him,” Skrine said. “It’s kind of more like basketball on the inside. He doesn’t even know where he’s going to go until he lines up and finds out your leverage.”For three consecutive weeks last season, Skrine displayed his toughness while battling through injuries. He suffered a concussion in Week 6 against the Redskins, he broke a bone in his left hand and injured his shoulder the following weekend in New England, and the shoulder kept him limited in Week 8 action at Oakland.

“That was probably my slump of the year, but I felt like I came back strong,” Skrine said. “I think I produced pretty well, the coaches liked the way I played. I wore two casts last year and I was getting skinny because I couldn’t lift weights. Everybody knows I’m a physical type of guy, so I couldn’t use my hands like that.”Pound for pound, the 5’9”, 185-pound Skrine is perhaps the strongest player on the entire roster. He is also one of the most versatile performers and his name immediately came to mind when the Jets released Cromartie in February. With Revis recovering from offseason wrist surgery, Skrine has spent a lot of time this spring outside at corner.

“The receivers are bigger on the outside and at the same time, it takes longer for the ball to get out there,” Skrine said. “Actually when I was in Cleveland two years ago, I got my picks at corner. I got one off a tip in nickel. I got three outside and one inside.”Skrine not only had a career-high four interceptions in 2014, but he also had 18 passes defended. His 36 passes defended in 2013-14 unofficially were the third-most in the league during that time frame.  Skrine, who can shift back inside at any point, believes there will be more opportunities to make plays on the ball when he goes outside.

“We are a man-to-man defense. You're playing nickel to man. That ball is coming fast, so it’s more of a last second reaction thing,” Skrine said. “Being on the outside, I have to be more productive passes defended-wise. The years I did play corner for Cleveland, I was top three in the league both times passes defended. But on the outside, when the route is set, it’s set. A lot of times at corner, you’re going to know off his split where he’s going to run or certain runs he can run from his split.”If Skrine earns the starting spot across from Revis, he knows he’ll probably be tested early. While Revis remains one of the top corners in football, Skrine can draw on the experience he gained opposite Joe Haden.

“He was a Pro Bowl guy, but at the end of the year you looked at the throws — even,” Skrine said. “So you just have to earn your respect. People are going to try me during the first four games and help me get my stats up.”

>     http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-6/Skrine-Getting-Corner-Feel-Back/2815bbf0-f237-4ff4-b3b6-8eb4dfb3de75

Archived