Darrelle Revis parts with agents Neil Schwartz, Jonathan Feinsod

Gas2No99

Darrelle Revis parts with agents Neil Schwartz, Jonathan Feinsod

Richly InCimini-atedESPN Staff Writer

New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis, who could finish his career as one of the highest-paid non-quarterbacks in NFL history, has parted ways with longtime agents Neil Schwartz and Jonathan Feinsod.

"Jonathan and I wish him the best of luck," Schwartz said Thursday.

The reason for the separation is unclear. Schwartz and Feinsod represented Revis since he left Pitt and became a first-round pick in 2007. Revis has played nine seasons, seven with the Jets, and has made $101 million, according to Spotrac.com.

A seven-time Pro Bowl selection, Revis also played one season apiece with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and New England Patriots, winning a Super Bowl with the Patriots.

Revis couldn't be reached for comment.

Schwartz and Feinsod engaged in well-publicized contract battles with the Jets. Revis staged a rookie holdout, missing nearly a month of training camp, but the big battle came in 2010.

Revis, still under his rookie contract, missed the entire preseason with a holdout that turned contentious. It became one of the main storylines that summer in HBO's "Hard Knocks."

One of the most memorable scenes that season involved a clandestine negotiating session at a rural diner in upstate New York, about two hours from the Jets' training camp in Cortland. Revis landed a new contract one week before the regular-season opener, and his return to the team became the closing scene in the HBO series.

The Jets traded Revis to the Bucs in 2013, but he made a ballyhooed return last offseason. Schwartz and Feinsod negotiated a five-year, $70 million contract, including $39 million in fully guaranteed money. Revis is due to make a guaranteed $17 million for the coming season.

If Revis, 30, plays out the contract, his career earnings will soar to $155 million. Green Bay Packers defensive end Julius Peppers, 36, has made $148 million in 14 seasons, per Spotrac, and is thought to be the highest-paid non-quarterback currently.

27 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Clearly, Revis wanted to hold out again but his agents advised against it this time around.  Time to hire a new YES man!

Let him hold out. Hopefully Mac wrote in a clause that he forfeits pay or nullifies the contract 

Conceivably, he might go the good teammate route and offer to renegotiate his contract to help get Fitz under contract.

The real reason would be to try and see if he can get the remainder of his contract guaranteed.

At his current level of play, he'll be gone after 2017. leaving about $20m on the table.

Probably realizes the best way to get some of that money back is to drop S&F and get an agent the Jets FO likes.

erLX2DQ.gif

This doesn't have anything to do with football money. The agent's percentage on contracts is relatively small and Revis has signed his last big deal. The percentage is bigger on endorsements and stuff. He's cutting them out of that, which can't be all that unexpected because, you know, Revis.

10 hours ago, Xtina said:

Let him hold out. Hopefully Mac wrote in a clause that he forfeits pay or nullifies the contract 

He's not going to hold out when he's due $17M this year (100% guaranteed) and $15M next year (with enough guaranteed that he would only get cut if he was seriously injured or had a bad 2017, in which case no one else is paying him $15M for next season anyway). At his age he's not staging any holdouts. 

I don't know what kind of clause you're referring to. It would serve no purpose in the first 3 years because almost all of it is guaranteed anyway, no one else is paying him more (certainly not significantly more) than he's getting until 2018, and from 2018 onward the Jets can get out of it anyway since all the guaranteed money is gone. If he holds out, he doesn't get paid while holding out. That's a normal contract; it doesn't require special language.

Only thing I could possibly see in terms of this affecting his Jets contract - and this is a real stretch - is that he gets the team to nullify his Schwartz/Feinsod contract and sign a replacement one with no agent, at the same time and for like $500K more or less, or a restructure with new signing bonus replacing salary (or just enough to make it the terms significantly different deal on paper, unlike a $1 change or something). This way he wouldn't owe his agents the commission on the balance of the contract. 

Other than that I have nothing, and Miss Lonelypenis is likely correct that this has to do with endorsement commission, or just that his agents aren't getting him enough endorsements in general. Once his playing days are over, those endorsements will shrink down to nothing.

Maybe he got the call from Lee & Dubin on how to get paid under the table like Brady and Edelman?  smart guy could have learned a few things on how they operate in Foxborough, he is the face of the franchise...

and maybe the older, wiser Revis has become (or always was) a team player (agents were the bad guys), would be great for the Jets :)

1 hour ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

This doesn't have anything to do with football money. The agent's percentage on contracts is relatively small and Revis has signed his last big deal. The percentage is bigger on endorsements and stuff. He's cutting them out of that, which can't be all that unexpected because, you know, Revis.

This.

Also - how absurd is it that the next guy on the list is Julius Peppers? Of all the guys I would have thought of, he would not have been even in the top 5 of the non-QB remuneration list. 

7 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

This.

Also - how absurd is it that the next guy on the list is Julius Peppers? Of all the guys I would have thought of, he would not have been even in the top 5 of the non-QB remuneration list. 

Im not in NY so I cant know but..

Does Revis have many endorsement deals?  At the national level, I never see him.

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

I can do nothing but applaud this man's business approach since entering the league. Dude got every bit of what he's worth....with a little bit more. 

LOL 

Thursday - Fitzpatrick is a greedy sob! he should be tossed aside!  He's out of his mind!!!  He should sign for 7 million of gtfo!

Friday - I applaud Revis for being a good business and getting the most he can get.

57 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Im not in NY so I cant know but..

Does Revis have many endorsement deals?  At the national level, I never see him.

Not many, and yes nationally it's not much, but around here nike is big on him. His shoes were actually a big seller back in '10, '11. Even still, you can't walk into a Modells or SA without seeing him plastered everywhere.

I wouldn't be surprised if he starts ramping up the endorsements going forward though. As much as many Jets fans don't like how he's basically extorted us for the majority of his career, he's got a lot of cache nationally. It isn't lost on the general NFL public that the dude is a certified HoF still playing in his prime (however downhill it is starting to become) with a super bowl ring already on his hand. 

I'm just glad he's a Jet, because if he were a Pat? They would have two SB's in a row by now. The guy is as sure a lockdown corner as I think I will ever see in my lifetime. Mac signing was one of the smartest decisions he could have ever made. Any Jets fan that thinks otherwise is just a stupid A$$. When he was a Pat he permanently tipped the balance of power in their favor. By Mac signing him he not only made the Patsies much more vulnerable on defense he simultaneously made the Jets a MUCH better team.

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Not many, and yes nationally it's not much, but around here nike is big on him. His shoes were actually a big seller back in '10, '11. Even still, you can't walk into a Modells or SA without seeing him plastered everywhere.

I wouldn't be surprised if he starts ramping up the endorsements going forward though. As much as many Jets fans don't like how he's basically extorted us for the majority of his career, he's got a lot of cache nationally. It isn't lost on the general NFL public that the dude is a certified HoF still playing in his prime (however downhill it is starting to become) with a super bowl ring already on his hand. 

Can't wait for Bowles to move him to Safety under a restructured deal next year.

Archived