Heimerdinger Talks Fitzpatrick, Hackenberg

JetNation

NY Jets Helmet

By Glenn Naughton

New York Jets director of player personnel, Brian Heimerdinger recently addressed the still unsettled New York Jets quarterback situation but added little to what has already been reported.

According to Newsday, In discussing last year’s franchise touchdown record-setting quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick who threw for 31 scores, Heimerdinger said  “You hope to find some middle ground somewhere, I think we’ve said all along as an organization that we want him back. I don’t think that’s changed at all. We’ll see how it plays out over the next couple of months. We’re hoping to get him back in.”

Heimerdinger’s comments were nearly identical to those of General Manager Mike Maccagnan in the weeks leading up to the draft when he said Fitzpatrick was still the team’s top priority.

As far as second-round pick, quarterback Christian Hackenberg is concerned, Heimerdinger expressed optimism, describing Hackenberg as a “smart kid” who has impressed the Jets in the early going since being drafted just a few weeks ago.

Until the Fitzpatrick and the Jets come to terms, fans will continue to ponder the team’s fate without the immensely popular signal caller in the locker room despite pleas from the likes of Brandon Marshall, Matt Forte and Eric Decker who was recently quoted as saying Fitzpatrick is the Jets best option “for this team right now”.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
0rVmnKYjyc8

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, JetNation said:

NY Jets Helmet

By Glenn Naughton

New York Jets director of player personnel, Brian Heimerdinger recently addressed the still unsettled New York Jets quarterback situation but added little to what has already been reported.

According to Newsday, In discussing last year’s franchise touchdown record-setting quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick who threw for 31 scores, Heimerdinger said  “You hope to find some middle ground somewhere, I think we’ve said all along as an organization that we want him back. I don’t think that’s changed at all. We’ll see how it plays out over the next couple of months. We’re hoping to get him back in.”

Heimerdinger’s comments were nearly identical to those of General Manager Mike Maccagnan in the weeks leading up to the draft when he said Fitzpatrick was still the team’s top priority.

As far as second-round pick, quarterback Christian Hackenberg is concerned, Heimerdinger expressed optimism, describing Hackenberg as a “smart kid” who has impressed the Jets in the early going since being drafted just a few weeks ago.

Until the Fitzpatrick and the Jets come to terms, fans will continue to ponder the team’s fate without the immensely popular signal caller in the locker room despite pleas from the likes of Brandon Marshall, Matt Forte and Eric Decker who was recently quoted as saying Fitzpatrick is the Jets best option “for this team right now”.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

0rVmnKYjyc8

Click here to read the full story...

I truly understand the feelings of the players who want Fitz because they only think in terms of "now" but the GM has to think beyond this season and although they "believe" he gives them the best chance to win, we don't actually know that.  

After a year of watching film on the Jets offense, I expect opposing defenses to really stack the box and dare Fitz to beat them deep more often.  In addition we were lucky in that most of the games we had a lead and played in relatively balmy weather conditions; there is no guarantee of either of those things occurring again.   Players like Devin Smith, Charone Peake and even Robby Anderson will be neutralized because Fitz cannot throw the deep ball consistently.   When playing in windy conditions and from behind, Fitz has struggled mightily for the most part.    If the team cannot come up with a deal that makes sense (both now and for the future) then the players will just have to suck it up and work with whomever wins the quarterback competition in camp.    Whether it is Geno, Petty or Hackenberg.  

I have been one of those guys who up this point did not want to see Hackenberg play this year unless it was an emergency situation.  I still feel that way but I am now more open to the idea of him winning the job outright in camp and becoming the starter.   I don't see it happening but if he makes real strides.... 

32 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I truly understand the feelings of the players who want Fitz because they only think in terms of "now" but the GM has to think beyond this season and although they "believe" he gives them the best chance to win, we don't actually know that.  

After a year of watching film on the Jets offense, I expect opposing defenses to really stack the box and dare Fitz to beat them deep more often.  In addition we were lucky in that most of the games we had a lead and played in relatively balmy weather conditions; there is no guarantee of either of those things occurring again.   Players like Devin Smith, Charone Peake and even Robby Anderson will be neutralized because Fitz cannot throw the deep ball consistently.   When playing in windy conditions and from behind, Fitz has struggled mightily for the most part.    If the team cannot come up with a deal that makes sense (both now and for the future) then the players will just have to suck it up and work with whomever wins the quarterback competition in camp.    Whether it is Geno, Petty or Hackenberg.  

I have been one of those guys who up this point did not want to see Hackenberg play this year unless it was an emergency situation.  I still feel that way but I am now more open to the idea of him winning the job outright in camp and becoming the starter.   I don't see it happening but if he makes real strides.... 

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I would like to see Fitzpatrick back at the helm of the jets as the signal caller, but only for 7 mil and not a penny over. He isn't that good, and last season was very inflated when it came to his stats but honestly is weaknesses can be easily exploited. It's very easy for any defense with a half decent secondary to stop the short pass game and intermediate stuff, forcing Fitzpatrick to go deep which he can't do. There was several times in that second pats game where enunwa had beat logan Ryan and was streaking down the sideline and fitz over threw him. I would rather trot geno or Hack out there. 

I can't understand why every single person in the Jet organization continues to say they really want him back and hope to find middle ground. 

It seems clear this is the public position they want people making.  It sounds to me like they're going to fold.  

39 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Of course the players are thinking of "now" that's all they have left since most of them are on the other side of 30 and don't have time to wait for a QB to develop. That being said these guys know a hell of a lot more about the situation than the posters on Jets Nation. If Fitz was just another fly by night they would not be calling for him specifically they would be saying things like we can win with any QB and they have not, when directly asked what the best option is for the next few years.

IMO the Jets are going to sign Fitz and always intended to sign Fitz but why its taking so long must have something to do with many other contracts that the Jets are just not willing to share publicly and that goes beyond just the Wilkerson situation. Most likely involving Mangold Harris and Revis as well

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I can't understand why every single person in the Jet organization continues to say they really want him back and hope to find middle ground. 

It seems clear this is the public position they want people making.  It sounds to me like they're going to fold.  

Fidelio I think it goes way beyond just talk. They must be scrambling in the back ground looking for cap space and that's not going to be easy with what we currently have going on.

“You hope to find some middle ground somewhere, I think we’ve said all along as an organization that we want him back. I don’t think that’s changed at all. We’ll see how it plays out over the next couple of months. We’re hoping to get him back in.”

To take this at "Face Value", as someone here says is the only way to take Organizational comments, it seems rather clear they want Fitz back.  The only question is one of money (not on-field performance).

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Would "folding" not inherantly imply they did, in fact, REALLY want him back?

After all, we have Geno Smith on the roster.  Surely they know that Smith, if given a fair chance with talent around him, is a better QB that Fitz...right?

Just now, Smashmouth said:

Fidelio I think it goes way beyond just talk. They must be scrambling in the back ground looking for cap space and that's not going to be easy with what we currently have going on.

That would make sense.   But I'm honestly just not sure why they are so passionate about bringing him back.  

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The other side of that coin is that the Jets recognize two things. One, that the fans really want Fitz back. Two, that he's really not that good. So they make a very public show of wanting him back so that when they don't sign him, the fans at least believe they did everything they reasonably could. 

Just now, FidelioJet said:

That would make sense.   But I'm honestly just not sure why they are so passionate about bringing him back.  

because he's a good QB, they don't want to rush the kids and because Geno Smith is simply not an option. Why else ?

Remember Fitz did what he did in many games with a one dimensional offense now he's got a stable of backs and a TE. He threw 31 TD's on a team that wanted to feature the run and no ones talking about that. Fitz with talent around him is much better than most want to give him credit for and I'm pretty sure he will eclipse last years numbers if not in TD passes he will on number of TD drives which is just as important. People also forget the years he had in Buffalo when they were all kissing his ass on these very boards early on when he was lighting it up before half the team sustained injuries and the entire team fell off a cliff of course that's All Fitz fault because its easy once again to put all the blame on the QB.

3 minutes ago, slats said:

The other side of that coin is that the Jets recognize two things. One, that the fans really want Fitz back. Two, that he's really not that good. So they make a very public show of wanting him back so that when they don't sign him, the fans at least believe they did everything they reasonably could. 

lol yeah I guess the players are on board with that as well Troll.

Just now, Smashmouth said:

lol yeah I guess the players are on board with that as well Troll.

The players personally like Fitz a lot better, and that's not surprising. 

51 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

100% agree with you on this statement. I hope Macc and CO continue to look at this from a logical business perspective on how worth while an investment on Fitz is. Like I've said previously, I will support whoever we throw out there at QB this season and I will even welcome Fitz back with open arms, as long as its for the right price. 

54 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

You'd think it wouldn't take a year of film to figure that out.

1 minute ago, detectivekimble said:

If you look at every games film carefully, that's what 4/6 of the teams the jets lost to did. If you shut down the short/intermediate game with Fitz, he is done for

13 minutes ago, slats said:

The players personally like Fitz a lot better, and that's not surprising. 

So the two top wide receivers on a team, coming out saying they want Fitzpatrick back speaks for the whole team?

If you took one look at Genos Instagram, you'd see he has plenty of photos of him up with other players on the team. I don't see where you guys are getting "everyone hates geno" from, it's quite ignorant.

38 minutes ago, slats said:

Wow, I had not thought of the CT angle.

Now that I have, it makes no sense.  If they do not come to an agreement (and I think they will) the FO can risk it coming out they were just putting on a show?  That they were handling the Qb position in the way they did merely to mislead their fans?

If that came out t hoe whole lot of them would be on the street in no time.

27 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Beat me to it.  If it were as simple as JB says, it would have taken an opposing DC about one week of watching film.  Not a whole season and off season.

I'm all for having Fitz back THIS year because he gives us the best chance to win (out of whats available) and is the perfect player-mentor with this system for Hack and Petty. But his deal has to be structuresd for 2017, so he is easily cut without a cap hit. Leave his deal bonus and incentive laden.

If he doesn't go for that, moving on is the right decision. You see if Geno can win you games and if he really tanks our we're out of reach. You try out Petty or Hack and let them gain experience.

I'm all aboard the Geno train but  not having fitz can be very dangerous.  If Geno imploads or gets hurt they are down to petty and hack.  If we are 5-3 and lose Geno the season could be lost and fans will want mac fired for not having a viable back up.  

Jets are in a tough spot.  Fitz knows it. 

58 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

If you look at every games film carefully, that's what 4/6 of the teams the jets lost to did. If you shut down the short/intermediate game with Fitz, he is done for

Other than that fateful awful last game our defense was probably more responsible for some loses than anything that happened on offense.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Maybe they aren't willing to take away cap space from next year, and realize they have at face value 3 qb's who all desperately need snaps.  Gailey said snaps are going to be a problem, maybe they don't want to see  fitz and marshall celebrate like they just won the Superbowl and lottery simultaneously every time they score a touchdown regardless of circumstance. Parcells wouldn't allow that crap.

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Other than that fateful awful last game our defense was probably more responsible for some loses than anything that happened on offense.

This isn't 1986. Just about every offense can put points on the board. The Jets gave up the 4th fewest yards allowed in the NFL last season. We have been spoiled with excellent defenses the last few years and assume that we can just shut other teams down. That isn't always going to happen. There will be games when the offense will need to match the opponents score for score. The Jets gave up 30 points twice all season. By comparison, the 12-4 Pats gave up 30 points 3 times, Fish 6 times, Bills 5 times. 

1 hour ago, Big Blocker said:

Wow, I had not thought of the CT angle.

Now that I have, it makes no sense.  If they do not come to an agreement (and I think they will) the FO can risk it coming out they were just putting on a show?  That they were handling the Qb position in the way they did merely to mislead their fans?

If that came out t hoe whole lot of them would be on the street in no time.

It would take a huge set of balls to do that and it would take a bigger set of balls to sign all the players we did to win now and leave it all to Geno. No way in hell Fitz is not the QB this season

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

in some regards yes but the biggest losses came from Special teams gaff's and fumbles. ill advised laterals and dropped passes. No ones going to tell me we lose to the Pats if Marshall catches that TD pass. And the Special teams vs the Eagles was horrid which cost us that game . The only game this team truly lost because they simply gotr their asses kicked was the Oakland Game . Fitz easily played well enough to win 12 games/

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I'm all aboard the Geno train but  not having fitz can be very dangerous.  If Geno imploads or gets hurt they are down to petty and hack.  If we are 5-3 and lose Geno the season could be lost and fans will want mac fired for not having a viable back up.  

Of course he knows it and the solution should have been a meet in the middle. Anyone who thinks Fitz is holding out for the 16 or 18 mil reported is an Idiot. Fitz will come in here for 10 plus incentives or 12 straight up. Ive been saying this since day 1 and I'm pretty sure that's what's going to happen. Hell for all we know they could have an agreement but are just keeping it low profile for reasons only known to the 2 parties. As well as Fitz played last year, even if you don't think he can duplicate that, does anyone here think a GM/COACH will stake their careers on Geno Freakin Smith ?

Of course he knows it and the solution should have been a meet in the middle. Anyone who thinks Fitz is holding out for the 16 or 18 mil reported is an Idiot. Fitz will come in here for 10 plus incentives or 12 straight up. Ive been saying this since day 1 and I'm pretty sure that's what's going to happen. Hell for all we know they could have an agreement but are just keeping it low profile for reasons only known to the 2 parties. As well as Fitz played last year, even if you don't think he can duplicate that, does anyone here think a GM/COACH will stake their careers on Geno Freakin Smith ?

10m is absurd!

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

There are people here who want to cut Geno and leave Fitz with backups Petty and Hack. Same thing.

Plus Fitz is more injury-prone than Geno. (on the field)

33 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

The Jets are the idiots if they offer Fitz $10M plus incentives, or $12M straight up. That's stupid money for what Fitz is, and the whole league -Jets included, I hope- knows it. 

And no one would be staking their career on Geno rolling with him for one season. They've drafted two QBs in the last two years, those guys are the long term hope - presumably beginning 2017. Most people understand this. Save that stupid money and bet that Geno has his best year as a pro under Gailey with Marshall and Forte there to bail him out? It's not a bad bet at all. Worst case scenario, they trot one of the kids out for some real time experience should it all go south. 

Just now, Snell41 said:

10m is absurd!

how is it absurd ??? Elite QB's are making 20 plus. Good QB's are making 15 + hell even some crappy QB's are making 15 + so how is it that a QB who just broke numerous records for this franchise and has played better than any QB we have had other than Joe Vinny and 1 season of chad not be worth 10 mil ? That's border line starter money and Idiot Jets fans are complaining ? WTF is wrong with this picture ?? remember this is a franchise that has endured horrid QB for 22 of the last 25 years probably the worst in the NFL over that stretch and we finally get a damn good season and can't or don't want to sign the guy ? This franchise deserves to be the laughing stock of the NFL

4 minutes ago, slats said:

The Jets are the idiots if they offer Fitz $10M plus incentives, or $12M straight up. That's stupid money for what Fitz is, and the whole league -Jets included, I hope- knows it. 

And no one would be staking their career on Geno rolling with him for one season. They've drafted two QBs in the last two years, those guys are the long term hope - presumably beginning 2017. Most people understand this. Save that stupid money and bet that Geno has his best year as a pro under Gailey with Marshall and Forte there to bail him out? It's not a bad bet at all. Worst case scenario, they trot one of the kids out for some real time experience should it all go south. 

So let me get this straight 8 mil is ok 10 mil is absurd so lets throw the season away for 2 mil ? Yep Jets fans are genius. Fitz is 31 + TD's and the best offense we have had since Vinny and now he's got 3 more weapons but yeah that's dumb to sign him for 10 mil . You still don't seem to realize this team has about a 2 year window ...EVERYONE knows Fitz is NOT the long term freaking solution but he is the best solution we have right now and to think otherwise with Geno under center is dreadfully stupid with a few million at stake.

If the Jets would have not signed all these 30 year old players and went into full rebuild mode I would agree with you 100% Slats but that's not the case here. 

how is it absurd ??? Elite QB's are making 20 plus. Good QB's are making 15 + hell even some crappy QB's are making 15 + so how is it that a QB who just broke numerous records for this franchise and has played better than any QB we have had other than Joe Vinny and 1 season of chad not be worth 10 mil ? That's border line starter money and Idiot Jets fans are complaining ? WTF is wrong with this picture ?? remember this is a franchise that has endured horrid QB for 22 of the last 25 years probably the worst in the NFL over that stretch and we finally get a damn good season and can't or don't want to sign the guy ? This franchise deserves to be the laughing stock of the NFL

Because there is zero demand for him at that figure. Nobody is paying him anywhere near that coin, why the hell should we?

Archived