Buffalo News Writer: Rex Ryan Isn't That Smart

joewilly12

Buffalo News Writer: Rex Ryan Isn’t That Smart

Jerry Sullivan is over Rex Ryan. In fact, he was never really on Rex Ryan. But the honeymoon period? Yeah, that’s over.

“I think that’s been over for quite a while,” Sullivan, the Buffalo News sportswriter, said on CBS Sports Radio’s The DA Show. “People were really starting to sour on him last year when his defense did not produce anywhere near the way it had the year before. The 21 sacks is astonishing when they set records (before he arrived). Rex came in and acted like Buffalo people didn’t know what football looked like. They went to four super bowls. And while a lot of them wanted to believe in him and he talked a good game, there were skeptics all along because they knew he hadn’t done well with the Jets. What happened there with Shaq Lawson really has people’s heads spinning.”

Earlier this week, the Bills announced that Lawson, their first-round draft pick, will need shoulder surgery, this after doing a swim move on a tackling dummy.

Sullivan isn’t buying it.

“It was almost like they didn’t want to admit that he had been hurt all along,” Sullivan said. “I don’t know if they’re lying, but I don’t believe them. After 16 years of this and some of the stuff they’ve pulled over the years, they don’t get the benefit of the doubt. I can’t believe that going out there and running through some drills and doing a swim move was a significant injury – or any injury. I’m not even sure it even happened. But they had to have some sort of cover story that something had happened at camp. I believe this was going to happen all along. The fans are very forgiving. If they had been honest, they would have handled this a lot better. But they just stood there and said, ‘It’s not a big deal.’ Can’t we have a little bit of honesty here?”

Lie or no lie, Sullivan is fed up with the franchise, which hasn’t made the playoffs this century.

Ryan’s brash personality, which Sullivan finds artificial and contrived, has gotten to be too much.

“Look, I got tired of him halfway through the first year,” Sullivan said. “I thought he was smarter than he really is. His shtick is not really backed up with any kind of articulate (thought). He’s just not that smart. He says the same thing over and over. He doesn’t speak in complete sentences. The point is, his act is old – and that’s another way he’s great for Buffalo. They have a history of taking people’s leftovers. Terrell Owens was a perfect example – another (person) just used to create a splash and sell tickets. Not only is Rex’s act old, but his basic philosophy of football is antiquated. He’s collecting running backs and he still wants to run the ball 52 percent of the time and play tough defense. That can work, but you better have great, great defensive players and still have a good quarterback to make that work. It’s not working.”

It’s also fair to question if the Bills are exploiting their fan base.

“I don’t tell people how to spend their money, and God bless Buffalo fans. They are eternal optimists,” Sullivan said. “But at some point, you do have to wonder if they exacerbate the problem by supporting a product that really doesn’t pay off for them. The fans here are almost worn down to the point where it’s just part of their persona to lose. They’re going to enjoy the product regardless because it’s what you do in Buffalo. You go to Bills games, you go to Sabres games and you just have to laugh.”

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's be honest about it. Look they didn't win those SBs because of cheating.They just embarrassed themselves and the entire NFL multiple times. And in the long run brought down the value of NFL franchises thanks to their paranoid schizo behavior. Why do you think Roger is fighting with them. Because of ethics! Give me a break.  Everything with those guys is all about money. How many people because of crap like Deflategate etc decided: "hey honey why am I wasting my time watching this s for anyways. Let's go jogging."

33 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

When did the Jets win a AFCCG?

They have only been around since 1970.

Did I sleep through a Jets big win?

Yes technically it wasn't an AFCCG, it was an AFLCG, you got me.  Still 1-0 in Super Bowls.

59 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

When did the Jets win a AFCCG?

They have only been around since 1970.

Did I sleep through a Jets big win?

29 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

My point?

Maybe the Jets should try cheating.

Nothing else has worked for the last 47 years.

1 hour ago, PatsFanTX said:

Bills AFCCG record: 4-0

Jets AFCCG record: 0-4

God.. You're a real a$$hole aren't you? at first I thought you had at least SOME value in your posts...but you really seem like you have nothing to do. It's just the same recycled bullsh*t every post with you.

3 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Did it take the Jets 2 or 3 playoff wins to get to the Super Bowl way back in 1969.

I can't seem to remember.

We're the Jets the first AFL team to beat an NFL team?  I can't seem to remember?  Did that victory put the finishing touches on what is now the modern day NFL?  I can't seem to remember. 

Robert Kraft should kiss the Jets ass for paving the road they drive on while cheating the whole ride.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

God.. You're a real a$$hole aren't you? at first I thought you had at least SOME value in your posts...but you really seem like you have nothing to do. It's just the same revealed bullsh*t every post with you.

Yep, a cancerous growth on JN that needs to be lopped off. Adds nothing and in fact takes away from the boards and its members here.

He's the Rex Ryan of JN posters....

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

so buffalo has troll writers too

cool

he's doing ok for a dumb guy, he's about a year away from being paid millions of dollars not to coach football

Yup, and he and his bro should wake up every day and thank Mangini for that. If not for the roster Mangini built, the two of them would be coaching D3 D lines in east bumblefk somewhere

3 hours ago, BowlesMovement said:

Yup, and he and his bro should wake up every day and thank Mangini for that. If not for the roster Mangini built, the two of them would be coaching D3 D lines in east bumblefk somewhere

Where's the Great Mangini working now Burger King??

The original article:

http://buckyandsully.buffalonews.com/2016/05/18/whaley-ryan-share-the-blame-for-gamble-on-lawson/

Remember the Bills’ season-ending news conference, when Doug Whaley said reports of his strained relationship with Rex Ryan were so much tabloid journalism? I’m beginning to think it was a rare display of honesty.

Why would anyone think that the coach and general manager were at odds with one another? The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that Whaley and Ryan were meant for each other, and for this bumbling organization.

They’re both risk takers, men who will stick their jaw out and make bold, unconventional moves. And while Ryan never saw a microphone he didn’t like and Whaley tends to shy away, they’re both masters at spinning the company line for a fan base that’s always willing to lap it up.

Whaley reached for EJ Manuel in the draft. He shocked the world by trading away a first-round draft pick to move up and take Sammy Watkins. He overspent on LeSean McCoy and Charles Clay, since it’s easy to have guts when the owner loves proving he can outspend anyone in the room. He forced Manuel into the backup quarterback role last season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Oh yeah, Whaley loves gambling, operating on the edge. Don’t Rex Ryan’s teams reflect those same reckless qualities? His first Bills team – especially his defense – played on the edge, walking the fine line between bold and stupid. That was the theme of the season.

So the Shaq Lawson situation is another manifestation of the reckless personalities who run the show. You can blame the medical staff or Lawson or his agent. But this falls on Whaley and Ryan. It’s their masterwork.

Ryan certainly has to take a large share of the blame for this one. He’s the driving force in the organization. Rex needed an infusion of defensive help to shore up his reputation and help him get back to the playoffs. He wore a Clemson helmet to a news conference last year. His son, Seth, is the holder for the national runner-up. On draft night, Lawson talked about his close relationship with Seth Ryan.

So of all people in the NFL, you would have expected Ryan to have the inside scoop on Lawson’s injured shoulder, which had bothered him since he was a college freshman and would eventually require him to have surgery.

But Whaley and Ryan took the big gamble, because that’s who they are. They gambled a first-round pick on an edge rusher who had been red-flagged by many teams in the league and taken totally off the draft board by several.

Then Whaley stood there and lied about it. He called Lawson’s injury “nothing that we’re really worried about.” Never mind that Adam Schefter, an ESPN reporter, had reported the truth about the injury minutes after the Bills made the pick. Some TV guy knew more about Lawson than the Bills’ personnel department? Must have been more of that tabloid journalism.

I don’t believe for a second that the Bills didn’t know Lawson was a big risk. They were betting that he could play as a rookie and the surgery could be put off until after the Bills made another heroic run to 8-8.

They would like us to believe that Lawson hurt himself – what they termed an “occurrence” – making a swim move in a non-contact drill at rookie camp, becoming the first player ever knocked out of action by a tackling dummy. I don’t buy that fairy tale, either.

As I’ve said before, you don’t get the benefit of the doubt when you’ve missed the playoffs 16 years in a row. You get a well-earned skepticism, a belief that it’s not truth that matters, but making as big a splash as possible to sell hope to your fans.

Whaley could have admitted on draft night that Lawson’s shoulder was a real issue. But why spoil all the good feeling about Lawson falling through the draft and giving Ryan an edge rusher who could make everyone forget Mario Williams on days when Mario was actually trying?

The Bills don’t win enough games, but they know how to win a news conference. It goes back well before Whaley. Trading for Drew Bledsoe, pretending J.P. Losman was the answer, drafting Willis McGahee and C.J. Spiller, bringing in Marv Levy to pose as a GM, signing Terrell Owens, it’s a long list.

Things could work out. Lawson might return in November and turn into Bruce Smith. Players come back from injury all the time. But remember, Whaley said on draft night that Lawson was going to start right away, along with second-rounder Reggie Ragland and maybe third-rounder Adolphus Washington.

Three new starters on defense, that’s enough to make fans forget Rex’s defensive debacle of last year. Put it on a promotional ad!

But the knowledge that Lawson could miss half the season makes the pick even more dubious. The Bills needed immediate help on defense after attrition and injury rendered an elite-level D merely ordinary.

Say what you will about Mario Williams. It was asking a lot for any rookie to replace the Mario of his Pro Bowl years. Now, in a season when Whaley and Ryan are under the gun to win, they’ll probably need to make do at outside linebacker with Manny Lawson or some other limited commodity.

How can we take anything they say about injuries at face value? One month after the fact, we find out that Watkins had surgery for a broken bone in his foot. This news, which arrived at the same time as the Lawson bombshell, had to be very troubling for Bills fans.

Watkins tweeted out that he’s fine and expects to be ready for training camp. Asked on Twitter if he expected to be ready for preseason, Watkins said “Of course.” It’s nice to see Sammy is engaging with the fans after trashing them last season, but that’s not terribly reassuring.

The Bills should be very careful with Watkins. By my count, this is the eighth injury he’s suffered since coming to the Bills a little over two years ago. Hip, ankle, back, calf, groin, ribs, glute and now the foot.

At least he hasn’t had any knee injuries or concussions. But Watkins sure gets hurt a lot. It makes Whaley’s decision to give up first- and fourth-round picks to move up five spots in the draft for him even more foolhardy.

That was Whaley’s biggest gamble of all. It’s not about Watkins’ ability. He played at an elite level down the stretch in 2015. But I don’t care if he goes to the Hall of Fame. First-round picks are precious commodities; that deal cost Whaley an asset that could have helped rebuild his defense.

Whaley made it for the wrong reasons, out of desperation. He was trying to justify the Manuel gamble and save his job. That sense of desperation persists at One Bills Drive, where Whaley and Ryan are under pressure to end the playoff drought.

It gets tiresome, hearing how Whaley is willing to roll the dice and Ryan is ready to take on the world. With every compulsive gambler, there’s something hollow beneath the bravado. They all wind up losers in the end.

3 hours ago, BowlesMovement said:

I think he is at the Taco Bell in Queens. And Rex and Rob should drive through daily and thank him.

They have jobs and been at them longer then Mangenius.. Mangini was lucky to have the team Groh and Hermie left them.. He could only win when the year before the team was 4-12 once he got a harder schedule he went 4-12..LOL

47 minutes ago, Larz said:

so buffalo has troll writers too

cool

he's doing ok for a dumb guy, he's about a year away from being paid millions of dollars not to coach football

Yep. Not a bad gig if you can get it. Also, building up false hopes from city to city.

2 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

He lost both games.

Whatever would the world do without your vast knowledge?

Your post again proves that you bring nothing good to the table on this site. You either say something that is already obvious to everyone (such as your post above) or you try to rile people up by continually disparaging the Jets. 

You suck as a poster. Even a mediocre troll does better than you of late.

Archived