Buffalo News Writer: Rex Ryan Isn't That Smart

joewilly12

16 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

He meant during the draft, and it's almost definitely true. He's a fat idiot but he's not making that up.

"I was trying to trade for him when he had the hamstring. I was reading the [New York] papers, and I was like, ‘Well, hell, we’ll take him.’" 

He injured his hamstring during OTAs, when he was a NY Giant, after the draft was over. That's why the subject of Beckham's hamstring was in "the papers" that Ryan would have been reading at the time. 

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Well you negotiate and don't always offer the most money. He offered competitive deals. The guy he went after the most was Vontae Davis. He preferred re-signing with his own team. Most players would do the same thing if the money was close. That criticism was unwarranted and the spin on it orchestrated by Rex. And don't forget Idzik is the one who signed Marcus Williams who now might be a starting caliber corner. 

So you think Idzik was a dam good GM that was screwed by Rex??:)

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

"I was trying to trade for him when he had the hamstring. I was reading the [New York] papers, and I was like, ‘Well, hell, we’ll take him.’" 

He injured his hamstring during OTAs, when he was a NY Giant, after the draft was over. That's why the subject of Beckham's hamstring was in "the papers" that Ryan would have been reading at the time. 

Well if Rex was under Idzik's thumb and was getting the shaft so Idzik could have an excuse to fire him then why was Rex talking about making deals for Beckham. I wish they would have done it. And during that draft there were rumors that the Jets wanted to take him.

2 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

So you think Idzik was a dam good GM that was screwed by Rex??:)

No. But he should have gotten a 3rd year and wasn't a buffoon. He was rebuilding and spent high draft picks to rebuild a secondary. It wasn't neglected. But the press here went out of their way to blame him for a bad season. And a lot of that spin came via Rex to the press. Even Rex's mother blamed Idzik. 

40 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

No. But he should have gotten a 3rd year and wasn't a buffoon. He was rebuilding and spent high draft picks to rebuild a secondary. It wasn't neglected. But the press here went out of their way to blame him for a bad season. And a lot of that spin came via Rex to the press. Even Rex's mother blamed Idzik. 

Just wait until Doug Whaley gets fired for forcing an injured Clemson player down Rex's throat.

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

Well if Rex was under Idzik's thumb and was getting the shaft so Idzik could have an excuse to fire him then why was Rex talking about making deals for Beckham. I wish they would have done it. And during that draft there were rumors that the Jets wanted to take him.

None of this has to do with the timing of the hamstring injury.

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Well you negotiate and don't always offer the most money. He offered competitive deals. The guy he went after the most was Vontae Davis. He preferred re-signing with his own team. Most players would do the same thing if the money was close. That criticism was unwarranted and the spin on it orchestrated by Rex. And don't forget Idzik is the one who signed Marcus Williams who now might be a starting caliber corner. 

How do you think John Idzik would've handled this Fitzpatrick situation? 

40 minutes ago, slats said:

How do you think John Idzik would've handled this Fitzpatrick situation? 

That's a great question. I don't really know. I know he would have more money because there wouldn't have been a Revis deal although Woody might have forced him to do it. Hard to guess on it because Fitz was Mac's signing so probably Fitz not a Jet and Bowles not the HC. It was rumored that Idzik might have wanted one of the Seattle coaches to be his HC. He had had a good relationship with Gus Bradley who probably helped him get his job with the Jags. I do think Idzik for 2015 would have signed a vet Qb and that he wasn't committed to Geno. But imo whomever the Jets Qb under Idzik he'd of budgeted enough money to give them a competitive contract. I still say that you have to pay a starting Qb market and don't lowball him. It's just not good business. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Wait until we're 1-7, then trade a conditional 3rd rounder for a disgruntled Julius Thomas and, if he's having a bad season, extend Brian Winters?

Under Idzik the Jets were 8-8 and then 4-12. He was criticized more for underspending than overspending. I don't recall him making stupid deals like that. He took a chance on Percy Harvin a player he knew in Seattle but it was a cap friendly deal with no obligation after 2014. You can criticize that all you want but at times he played well and apparently was ok behind the scenes because Rex brought him with him to Buff. Considering the potential upside with him I thought it was worth it. Seattle never really wanted to get rid of him but Pete Carroll thought in the end his negatives outweighed the positives. The Jets needed a playmaker after getting rid of Holmes and needed an elite return man which he was. So call it like an expensive try out. Idzik's drafts are starting to look not that bad. Given time usually you have to wait 3 years to adequately judge a GM. I guess for Woody his presser was the final straw. It's obvious a GM in New York has to at least try to cultivate a relationship with the press. By all reports he didn't return phone calls and was not accessible and they turned on him. 

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Under Idzik the Jets were 8-8 and then 4-12. He was criticized more for underspending than overspending. I don't recall him making stupid deals like that. He took a chance on Percy Harvin a player he knew in Seattle but it was a cap friendly deal with no obligation after 2014. You can criticize that all you want but at times he played well and apparently was ok behind the scenes because Rex brought him with him to Buff. Considering the potential upside with him I thought it was worth it. Seattle never really wanted to get rid of him but Pete Carroll thought in the end his negatives outweighed the positives. The Jets needed a playmaker after getting rid of Holmes and needed an elite return man which he was. So call it like an expensive try out. Idzik's drafts are starting to look not that bad. Given time usually you have to wait 3 years to adequately judge a GM. I guess for Woody his presser was the final straw. It's obvious a GM in New York has to at least try to cultivate a relationship with the press. By all reports he didn't return phone calls and was not accessible and they turned on him. 

So I guess you agree with Idzik that in his last year as the Jets GM that the Jets had essentially "all the talent they needed to win then on the team".

In essence, that there was nothing in effect that needed to be done to make the Jets more competitive?

Do you agree with that position?

It was weird as hell watching the Bills last year. They had an explosive offense that carried their defense which was pretty bad. It was like a complete reversal of what happened during the Jets' Ryan years. Ryan made really good gm moves last year with getting Taylor and Roman. Think his biggest mistake was letting Dennis Thurman call plays.

10 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

So I guess you agree with Idzik that in his last year as the Jets GM that the Jets had essentially "all the talent they needed to win then on the team".

In essence, that there was nothing in effect that needed to be done to make the Jets more competitive?

Do you agree with that position?

I didn't think they would be 4-12. They had more talent than that. He made moves and a lot of them didn't work. That happens in sports  sometimes because of injuries, poor performance, etc. And not a good coaching job. 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

I didn't think they would be 4-12. They had more talent than that. He made moves and a lot of them didn't work. That happens in sports because of injuries, poor performance, etc. And not a good coaching job. 

I can now see your defense of Idzik. 

I just disagree, the Jets as they were then constructed had IMO some of the worst talent in the entire NFL.  

Poor offense and defensive talent and an improper mix for the demands of the then HC who said GM decided to keep when he could have fired him if he wanted. 

If you think Rex sucked that last year well that goes to the GM Idzik who kept him. 

You can't cherry pick that Idzik acquired this guy or that guy when the Jets his last year were barely an NFL level football team.  His "we are trying very hard" lines in his midsession state of the Jets report wouldn't have satisfied a division three school let alone a professional franchise. 

Hey and do you think that Fitz gets paid the $16 Million dollars he is seeking under Idzik?

4 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I can now see your defense of Idzik. 

I just disagree, the Jets as they were then constructed had IMO some of the worst talent in the entire NFL.  

Poor offense and defensive talent and an improper mix for the demands of the then HC who said GM decided to keep when he could have fired him if he wanted. 

If you think Rex sucked that last year well that goes to the GM Idzik who kept him. 

You can't cherry pick that Idzik acquired this guy or that guy when the Jets his last year were barely an NFL level football team.  His "we are trying very hard" lines in his midsession state of the Jets report wouldn't have satisfied a division three school let alone a professional franchise. 

Hey and do you think that Fitz gets paid the $16 Million dollars he is seeking under Idzik?

I wouldn't have fired Rex coming off of an 8-8 season with a rookie Qb. I might have fired him instead after 2012 after a real bad year, not benching Sanchez before it was too late and a new GM coming in. Also Idzik didn't have the power to fire Rex. I don't agree that our team was that bad talent wise in 2014. We had a good running back in Ivory, he signed Decker, we had a decent O-line and had a defense filled with first rounders. Not a playoff team but a team that should have been competitive. The weak point was the Qb. We did have a vet backup in Vick who should have been a lot better. He had played well with Philly the year before and then was injured. He was a good signing that didn't work out. Theoretically he was the best available vet FA Qb on the market that year.  I don't think Fitz is asking for 16 mil per season. That's an unsubstantiated rumor. 

13 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Hey, I gave Idzik a lot of benefits of a lot of doubts, but those signings were not smart.

Harvin was also not a "team friendly" deal, since he would have cost some $11M to keep just for 1 more full season and the $6-7M we had to pay to mop up an already-over 2014 was fully guaranteed. That further cost us a draft pick (think it was a conditional 6th rounder, that turned into a 4th rounder if we kept him for 2015). If Idzik wanted a veteran playmaker WR, he had every opportunity to trade for DeSean Jackson. I went along with every rationalization why that was a bad move in March of 2014 (when Jackson could have been had for a 7th round pick 2 years later, since the Eagles were otherwise going to cut him and get nothing). When he then made the trade for Harvin - after that season was in the toilet - that logic went right out the window. Then despite having a down season he extended Kerley at the same time, costing us yet another 2016 draft pick, never mind millions in cap room, since Kerley would have surely been picked up as a FA in March of 2015. 

These moves were all due to job preservation, nothing more. He drafted a trio of WRs at a position of need, and none of them panned out. The only WR on the team was the gift that dropped into his lap solely because Eric Decker's celebrity wife wanted to live in Manhattan. Otherwise he'd have been one-upped by another team like every other desirable FA he coveted. It was also to see what one of his other high picks (Geno) could do with more than just Decker at the position, since the season was fast heading into the sh*tter at 1-6 or whatever we were at the time and Harvin would theoretically highlight Geno's strong throwing arm. So after turning down DeSean Jackson and others, and after appearing to whiff on 3 of 3 drafted WRs (the highest pick of which he'd already cut 1 month in), he made 2 desperate moves: he traded for Harvin and re-signed Kerley so he could show his boss the team had a full stable of WRs heading into 2015 despite the poor 2014 season record. Except Kerley isn't so good really, and Harvin wasn't worth half the $11M he was due to make in 2015. When it's all tallied up, in 2014 he used up 5 draft picks and about $15M of cap space for Shaq Evans, Jalen Saunders, Enunwa, Harvin, and Kerley. In 2016 the only one still on the team is Enunwa, who is merely an OK/role player. 

His general philosophy was fine by me, except for 2 problems. One, too many of his draft picks haven't panned out. He used up so many picks in 2014 instead of trading up or trading even one of them for a pick 1 round higher a year later, which would have been smart since everyone knows 10 rookies aren't making the team. The other problem is in year 2 he went against his own frugal nature, signing up for tens of millions for others' castoffs and re-upping our own meh UFAs that would have netted compensatory draft picks if/when signing with other teams. 

It makes sense that Buffalo hates Rex because they had so many great coaches and a ton of success since Marv Levy.

The ironic part of this article is that they're complaining about D and totally ignore that Rex did something he never did in NY which is really all that matters.  They found a QB.

All that said, Rex's stupidity has been on full display for a while now.  This isnt breaking news.  Doesnt mean he's not a hell of a Football coach. 

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Hey, I gave Idzik a lot of benefits of a lot of doubts, but those signings were not smart.

Harvin was also not a "team friendly" deal, since he would have cost some $11M to keep just for 1 more full season and the $6-7M we had to pay to mop up an already-over 2014 was fully guaranteed. That further cost us a draft pick (think it was a conditional 6th rounder, that turned into a 4th rounder if we kept him for 2015). If Idzik wanted a veteran playmaker WR, he had every opportunity to trade for DeSean Jackson. I went along with every rationalization why that was a bad move in March of 2014 (when Jackson could have been had for a 7th round pick 2 years later, since the Eagles were otherwise going to cut him and get nothing). When he then made the trade for Harvin - after that season was in the toilet - that logic went right out the window. Then despite having a down season he extended Kerley at the same time, costing us yet another 2016 draft pick, never mind millions in cap room, since Kerley would have surely been picked up as a FA in March of 2015. 

These moves were all due to job preservation, nothing more. He drafted a trio of WRs at a position of need, and none of them panned out. The only WR on the team was the gift that dropped into his lap solely because Eric Decker's celebrity wife wanted to live in Manhattan. Otherwise he'd have been one-upped by another team like every other desirable FA he coveted. It was also to see what one of his other high picks (Geno) could do with more than just Decker at the position, since the season was fast heading into the sh*tter at 1-6 or whatever we were at the time and Harvin would theoretically highlight Geno's strong throwing arm. So after turning down DeSean Jackson and others, and after appearing to whiff on 3 of 3 drafted WRs (the highest pick of which he'd already cut 1 month in), he made 2 desperate moves: he traded for Harvin and re-signed Kerley so he could show his boss the team had a full stable of WRs heading into 2015 despite the poor 2014 season record. Except Kerley isn't so good really, and Harvin wasn't worth half the $11M he was due to make in 2015. When it's all tallied up, in 2014 he used up 5 draft picks and about $15M of cap space for Shaq Evans, Jalen Saunders, Enunwa, Harvin, and Kerley. In 2016 the only one still on the team is Enunwa, who is merely an OK/role player. 

His general philosophy was fine by me, except for 2 problems. One, too many of his draft picks haven't panned out. He used up so many picks in 2014 instead of trading up or trading even one of them for a pick 1 round higher a year later, which would have been smart since everyone knows 10 rookies aren't making the team. The other problem is in year 2 he went against his own frugal nature, signing up for tens of millions for others' castoffs and re-upping our own meh UFAs that would have netted compensatory draft picks if/when signing with other teams. 

He didn't pay Harvin the 11 mil he cut him. They had the cap space and wanted to see what he had left in the tank. He was accused of doing it for job preservation but the truth is Harvin wasn't available until October because Seattle hadn't decided to trade him.. I think Idzik deserves credit for making that trade and not giving up too much. And there were other teams interested in him at the time. As for the 12 draft picks in 2014 it was 12 only because there were comp picks and they are untradeable. I think he should have traded back the regular picks (into the next year's draft) because there is no way all of those guys could make the active roster. Look Mac drafted only 6 guys and he ended up cutting two of them. So he drafted 3 Wrs later in the draft-2 didn't make it and one did and started (Quincy). When you're talking about 4th and 6th round draft picks that's not a bad percentage. I'm not saying Idzik did a good job. But he deserved a 3rd year and a chance to spend some of that cap money. You can spend it all at one time like Mac did last year and Jerry Reese did this year (talk about job preservation) but to me it's not the way to go. 

16 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Nice post, but it could have been MUCH longer.  Heh.

One thing I would add is that by sticking with Smith as the pending starter for 14, he passed that off season on getting another Qb like Bridgewater or Carr.  I know he probably thought there was a logic to that, but even at the time it looked to me it was a bad choice to stick with Smith, and he was only doing so to defend his having picked him the previous draft. 

And of course there were other bad decisions and missed opportunities.  (I also am skeptical of Enunwa, btw...)

12 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

He didn't pay Harvin the 11 mil he cut him. They had the cap space and wanted to see what he had left in the tank. He was accused of doing it for job preservation but the truth is Harvin wasn't available until October because Seattle hadn't decided to trade him.. I think Idzik deserves credit for making that trade and not giving up too much. And there were other teams interested in him at the time. As for the 12 draft picks in 2014 it was 12 only because there were comp picks and they are untradeable. I think he should have traded back the regular picks (into the next year's draft) because there is no way all of those guys could make the active roster. Look Mac drafted only 6 guys and he ended up cutting two of them. So he drafted 3 Wrs later in the draft-2 didn't make it and one did and started (Quincy). When you're talking about 4th and 6th round draft picks that's not a bad percentage. I'm not saying Idzik did a good job. But he deserved a 3rd year and a chance to spend some of that cap money. You can spend it all at one time like Mac did last year and Jerry Reese did this year (talk about job preservation) but to me it's not the way to go. 

No he did not. Maccagnan cut Harvin not Idzik so I don't know where you get your facts from (beyond making them up). He made a trade offer for Harvin, in 2014, that no one else thought was worthy of one-upping - and was also likely fueled in some way because of his prior connection to the Seattle FO.

The un-tradable remark is either silly or willfully ignorant. If you have a compensatory 4th rounder you can't trade, and a high 5th rounder you can trade, then you don't throw up your hands and say, "Oh well, we have to use both picks this year." Same with any compensatory pick that falls near one of the team's own natural, tradable picks.

You are also referring to percentages that include both good and bad draft classes. That was a particularly good draft class, so grading it on the same scale as a poor class is also intellectually dishonest. There were players in the 4th round of that draft that would have been taken 1-2 rounds higher in poor talent years (never mind 4th rounders are not "late" picks anyway).

What I think is this: on the one hand he got a raw deal because he didn't get to choose his own HC upon arriving, nor 1 year later either. On the other hand, it's likely that not being able to pick one's own HC is the only reason the job was available to him in the first place. 

9 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Nice post, but it could have been MUCH longer.  Heh.

One thing I would add is that by sticking with Smith as the pending starter for 14, he passed that off season on getting another Qb like Bridgewater or Carr.  I know he probably thought there was a logic to that, but even at the time it looked to me it was a bad choice to stick with Smith, and he was only doing so to defend his having picked him the previous draft. 

And of course there were other bad decisions and missed opportunities.  (I also am skeptical of Enunwa, btw...)

LOL!! (in fairness, I did delete a paragraph...ok, two of them)

The thing is if a bad (or initially bad) pick is made - particularly at QB - with an early pick, a GM is influenced by a desire to see that pick work out. So much so, that he makes other bad moves to try to compensate for the first move. So Geno didn't work out and Sanchez went to Philadelphia. Worse still, he got some favorable media attention that year as well (before doing his own thing that he does). So Geno looked like crap, the team was losing, the WRs they drafted weren't working out, the WRs they didn't pick up or draft were thriving... Idzik was staring unemployment in the face. But if he could show that he had the great foundation by showing his QB pick was solid, as well as a mountain of cap room, then he could probably buy himself another year or more.

It didn't work out, though. Harvin came over - at significant cost despite what Rangers9 is saying - and Geno lost the starting job like 5 minutes later (I think Harvin's first game was the 3-pick Buffalo game). So then he went to Vick, who then melted down himself a few weeks later, also against Buffalo. Geno came back in and, while he certainly was better than before he was benched, he still wasn't so great (except his last game, of course). It wasn't enough to save his job, nor should it have been.

Agree on the QBs we passed up on in 2014. Even worse, he could/should have realized that 2014 team wasn't a ready-made winner by the time that draft came around. For a GM who was all too happy to throw multiple picks at other positions (guard, WR), it was a perfect opportunity to do the same at the most important position in the game. Instead he took a safety in round 1, which is one of the only couple of positions where it isn't even a smart $ move to exercise the 5th year option, even if the player ends up being really good. 

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No he did not. Maccagnan cut Harvin not Idzik so I don't know where you get your facts from (beyond making them up). He made a trade offer for Harvin, in 2014, that no one else thought was worthy of one-upping - and was also likely fueled in some way because of his prior connection to the Seattle FO.

The un-tradable remark is either silly or willfully ignorant. If you have a compensatory 4th rounder you can't trade, and a high 5th rounder you can trade, then you don't throw up your hands and say, "Oh well, we have to use both picks this year." Same with any compensatory pick that falls near one of the team's own natural, tradable picks.

You are also referring to percentages that include both good and bad draft classes. That was a particularly good draft class, so grading it on the same scale as a poor class is also intellectually dishonest. There were players in the 4th round of that draft that would have been taken 1-2 rounds higher in poor talent years (never mind 4th rounders are not "late" picks anyway).

What I think is this: on the one hand he got a raw deal because he didn't get to choose his own HC upon arriving, nor 1 year later either. On the other hand, it's likely that not being able to pick one's own HC is the only reason the job was available to him in the first place. 

I didn't make up anything or try to embellish it because I had no reason to. You're right in that Mac is the one who cut Harvin (because Idzik was gone). And reportedly Mac was trying to re-sign Harvin for less money http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/12457046/new-york-jets-release-percy-harvin-make-brandon-marshall-trade-official. The comp picks were untradeable but like I said he could have and probably should have trade his regular picks. I think his philosophy (and I don't agree if true) was that it was a good draft and worth wasting a few picks on for players with talent that could fill a need. For example Jalen Saunders who was a big time return guy at Oklahoma and wasn't considered a stupid draft pick in the 4th round. He made the team but for some reason had off the field problems (a car accident or something) and they decided to cut him during the season. 

Buffalo writers complaining as if Rex walked in to the 1990 Bills.  that franchise hasn't had any excitement in 25 years and the writer complains b/c a couple of defensive players quit.  Buffalo deserves bad football.

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Buffalo writers complaining as if Rex walked in to the 1990 Bills.  that franchise hasn't had any excitement in 25 years and the writer complains b/c a couple of defensive players quit.  Buffalo deserves bad football.

You have to be joking. It's his specialty coaching the defense and if players don't show up why give him a pass on it. He took a 9-7 team and they finished at 8-8. I give him credit for taking a chance with an unknown Qb it took guts and worked out. And even Rex deserves more time at least two more seasons. But it's good to see that some of the Buff reporters are not taking his BS and tossing it around to the fans like some of the Jets beat writers did. With Rex the Jets had more leaks than the Gowanus Canal. 

17 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I didn't make up anything or try to embellish it because I had no reason to. You're right in that Mac is the one who cut Harvin (because Idzik was gone). And reportedly Mac was trying to re-sign Harvin for less money http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/12457046/new-york-jets-release-percy-harvin-make-brandon-marshall-trade-official. The comp picks were untradeable but like I said he could have and probably should have trade his regular picks. I think his philosophy (and I don't agree if true) was that it was a good draft and worth wasting a few picks on for players with talent that could fill a need. For example Jalen Saunders who was a big time return guy at Oklahoma and wasn't considered a stupid draft pick in the 4th round. He made the team but for some reason had off the field problems (a car accident or something) and they decided to cut him during the season. 

It's never smart to waste picks. That is the very point.  It is smart to make picks in a good draft but not smart to make 10 of them. In a good draft he can also get value above going rate for a pick next season. It's never smart to waste picks.

Saunders did not fail to stick with the team - nor the 4 other teams who cut him - because he got into a car accident in August of 2014. Please. Enunwa smacked around a woman in his hotel room, got arrested, was on the practice squad as a rookie I think, got suspended 4 games in year 2 for the rookie incident, and is still here. 

10 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

You have to be joking. It's his specialty coaching the defense and if players don't show up why give him a pass on it. He took a 9-7 team and they finished at 8-8. I give him credit for taking a chance with an unknown Qb it took guts and worked out. And even Rex deserves more time at least two more seasons. But it's good to see that some of the Buff reporters are not taking his BS and tossing it around to the fans like some of the Jets beat writers did. With Rex the Jets had more leaks than the Gowanus Canal. 

he took a 9-7 team that won in week 17 when the opponent rested starters.  let's not act like the 2014 Bills were juggernauts.  He also took a QB that had never played before and won 8 games w/ him.  He did a bad job with the D but his supposed best player quit b/c he on;ly cares about his own stats and doesn't care about winning.

all I know is our coach was badly outcoached by rex twice despite having the more talented team and rex's team kept us out of the playoffs.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's never smart to waste picks. That is the very point.  It is smart to make picks in a good draft but not smart to make 10 of them. In a good draft he can also get value above going rate for a pick next season. It's never smart to waste picks.

Saunders did not fail to stick with the team - nor the 4 other teams who cut him - because he got into a car accident in August of 2014. Please. Enunwa smacked around a woman in his hotel room, got arrested, was on the practice squad as a rookie I think, got suspended 4 games in year 2 for the rookie incident, and is still here. 

For a 6th round pick Q was a good contributor. I think he's an up and coming player and when he came back last year he started and despite some drops fit into Gailey's system. If you draft 3 Wrs late and one becomes a starter it's not that bad. Not that many 4th to 6th round Wr picks are starters. 

39 minutes ago, JiF said:

It makes sense that Buffalo hates Rex because they had so many great coaches and a ton of success since Marv Levy.

The ironic part of this article is that they're complaining about D and totally ignore that Rex did something he never did in NY which is really all that matters.  They found a QB.

All that said, Rex's stupidity has been on full display for a while now.  This isnt breaking news.  Doesnt mean he's not a hell of a Football coach. 

He's a fine coach, even a great one. The problem is that the higher you go in an NFL hierarchy the less actual coaching you do and he's a total disaster in every other facet of the job.

9 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

he took a 9-7 team that won in week 17 when the opponent rested starters.  let's not act like the 2014 Bills were juggernauts.  He also took a QB that had never played before and won 8 games w/ him.  He did a bad job with the D but his supposed best player quit b/c he on;ly cares about his own stats and doesn't care about winning.

all I know is our coach was badly outcoached by rex twice despite having the more talented team and rex's team kept us out of the playoffs.

You're just making a lot of assumptions because you like Rex. The bottom line was the record and they regressed. Maybe Rex should have coached up those D players who thought he was FOS. But he definitely deserves more time but I see him on a disaster road because it's same old with him and his spin on the blame game. Thankfully the B writers aren't buying it like these fools here did. 

Just now, Rangers9 said:

You're just making a lot of assumptions because you like Rex. The bottom line was the record and they regressed. Maybe Rex should have coached up those D players who thought he was FOS. But he definitely deserves more time but I see him on a disaster road because it's same old with him and his spin on the blame game. Thankfully the B writers aren't buying it like these fools did. 

I am not making assumptions, it's a know fact Williams quit on the Bills.

rex didn't do a good job and he gets responsibility for the D but that doesn't absolved the quitter mario Williams.

the Buffalo writers are a joke, they have excitement for the first time since Drew Bledsoe was there(except this time they can actually win) and aftre one season where his top guys on O missed multiple games or they have ended the playoff drought this guy is bashing him.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

I am not making assumptions, it's a know fact Williams quit on the Bills.

rex didn't do a good job and he gets responsibility for the D but that doesn't absolved the quitter mario Williams.

the Buffalo writers are a joke, they have excitement for the first time since Drew Bledsoe was there(except this time they can actually win) and aftre one season where his top guys on O missed multiple games or they have ended the playoff drought this guy is bashing him.

Buff D players not just Williams complained about Rex http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/22980/five-problems-bills-players-have-with-rex-ryans-defense

Just now, Rangers9 said:

Williams was the biggest culprit b/c he flat out quit and he was supposed to be their best player.  Players that have never even been to the playoffs were whining, those are not winning players.  Rex's big mistake was not bringing key guys w/ him(he would have brought Harris had we not re-signed) like he did here w/ Scott & leonhard.  

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Williams was the biggest culprit b/c he flat out quit and he was supposed to be their best player.  Players that have never even been to the playoffs were whining, those are not winning players.  Rex's big mistake was not bringing key guys w/ him(he would have brought Harris had we not re-signed) like he did here w/ Scott & leonhard.  

You're saying he quit. He obviously didn't have a good year. But I don't know if he quit. Obviously Rex didn't get a lot out of him.  But Tannenbaum just signed him to a 2 year 17 mil deal with 12 mil guaranteed. Not too shabby for a guy who quits on his team.

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

You're saying he quit. He obviously didn't have a good year. But I don't know if he quit. Obviously Rex didn't get a lot out of him.  But Tannenbaum just signed him to a 2 year 17 mil deal with 12 mil guaranteed. Not too shabby for a guy who quits on his team.

he flat out quit.  He's an incredible talent and other teams will always give guys like that a chance, I bet he gives effort for a year before he goes back to his quitting ways.  I expect he will be really good this year but that doesn't change the fact that he quit last year.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/31/marios-swan-song-with-bills-is-near/

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/25503327/after-further-review-heres-the-proof-that-mario-williams-quit-on-bills

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

he flat out quit.  He's an incredible talent and other teams will always give guys like that a chance, I bet he gives effort for a year before he goes back to his quitting ways.  I expect he will be really good this year but that doesn't change the fact that he quit last year.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/31/marios-swan-song-with-bills-is-near/

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/25503327/after-further-review-heres-the-proof-that-mario-williams-quit-on-bills

Well you're saying he quit but the players didn't say that. A few did but some said he tried to play in Rex's D system which was criticized by a lot of people. If you're a new coach and inherited a highly rated defense you adapt your philosophy to the player's skill sets and that includes the system. It worked under Marrone and Schwartz (who he should have kept as DC) so why change it. Not good coaching. You can't blame it all on one guy either. 

Archived