Buffalo News Writer: Rex Ryan Isn't That Smart

joewilly12

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

Well you're saying he quit but the players didn't say that. A few did but some said he tried to play in Rex's D system which was criticized by a lot of people. If you're a new coach and inherited a highly rated defense you adapt your philosophy to the player's skill sets and that includes the system. It worked under Marrone and Schwartz (who he should have kept as DC) so why change it. Not good coaching. You can't blame it all on one guy either. 

the player(s) in that article did say that and the 2nd article broke down the film.  He quit.  this was a guy earl in the season w/ the Bills on contention complaining about his sack numbers being down, he clearly cared more about sacks than wins.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

For a 6th round pick Q was a good contributor. I think he's an up and coming player and when he came back last year he started and despite some drops fit into Gailey's system. If you draft 3 Wrs late and one becomes a starter it's not that bad. Not that many 4th to 6th round Wr picks are starters. 

See the problem is it is bad when a guy like Martavis Bryant got picked in the 4th round after you selected 2 WR in the same round that have never contributed.  

12 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

4 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

See the problem is it is bad when a guy like Martavis Bryant got picked in the 4th round after you selected 2 WR in the same round that have never contributed.  

I think that's unfair. I mean every team hits home runs on players and strikes out on others. A lot of teams whiffed on Bryant who btw was just suspended for a year. Idzik took Sheldon at overall 13 and 12 teams passed on him for players not as good. And Q in the 6th round was a good pick. Look at all of the teams who picked guys who aren't even in the NFL.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

LOL!! (in fairness, I did delete a paragraph...ok, two of them)

The thing is if a bad (or initially bad) pick is made - particularly at QB - with an early pick, a GM is influenced by a desire to see that pick work out. So much so, that he makes other bad moves to try to compensate for the first move. So Geno didn't work out and Sanchez went to Philadelphia. Worse still, he got some favorable media attention that year as well (before doing his own thing that he does). So Geno looked like crap, the team was losing, the WRs they drafted weren't working out, the WRs they didn't pick up or draft were thriving... Idzik was staring unemployment in the face. But if he could show that he had the great foundation by showing his QB pick was solid, as well as a mountain of cap room, then he could probably buy himself another year or more.

It didn't work out, though. Harvin came over - at significant cost despite what Rangers9 is saying - and Geno lost the starting job like 5 minutes later (I think Harvin's first game was the 3-pick Buffalo game). So then he went to Vick, who then melted down himself a few weeks later, also against Buffalo. Geno came back in and, while he certainly was better than before he was benched, he still wasn't so great (except his last game, of course). It wasn't enough to save his job, nor should it have been.

Agree on the QBs we passed up on in 2014. Even worse, he could/should have realized that 2014 team wasn't a ready-made winner by the time that draft came around. For a GM who was all too happy to throw multiple picks at other positions (guard, WR), it was a perfect opportunity to do the same at the most important position in the game. Instead he took a safety in round 1, which is one of the only couple of positions where it isn't even a smart $ move to exercise the 5th year option, even if the player ends up being really good. 

Yes, we can understand how from his pov there was a logic to sticking with Smith, but imagine how we would feel if Carr or Bridgewater were currently Qb for the Jets?  It makes me nauseous thinking about it. 

Your mention of Vick was another area where Idzik screwed up big time, I think before the 14 season even began, but it's too painful talking about that as well.   Add that to the long list, and I agree the Harvin deal was expensive.

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I think that's unfair. I mean every team hits home runs on players and strikes out on others. A lot of teams whiffed on Bryant who btw was just suspended for a year. Idzik took Sheldon at overall 13 and 12 teams passed on him for players not as good. And Q in the 6th round was a good pick. Look at all of the teams who picked guys who aren't even in the NFL.

Also Q will see maybe 5 snaps a game this coming season, he was used out of necessity, not because he is this upcoming talent, he can't catch a cold, and is about as stiff as it comes when running routes, dude is just a big powerful guy nothing more.

19 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

the player(s) in that article did say that and the 2nd article broke down the film.  He quit.  this was a guy earl in the season w/ the Bills on contention complaining about his sack numbers being down, he clearly cared more about sacks than wins.

I read the first article Both Preston Brown and McKelvin didn't say he quit. A few guys did but didn't use the word quit. And the writer said that many Bills D players were frustrated with the D scheme and supported him anonymously just like a few ripped him. Why change something that worked under the previous coaching staff. When you came into the season with an elite defense you don't mess with it. Rex should have let Schwartz coach the defense and left him alone. And finally become a real head coach. They might have won more games if he had. But he wants to be a defensive guru at the expense of the team. 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

I read the first article Both Preston Brown and McKelvin didn't say he quit. A few guys did but didn't use the word quit. And the writer said that many Bills D players were frustrated with the D scheme and supported him anonymously just like a few ripped him. Why change something that worked under the previous coaching staff. When you came into the season with an elite defense you don't mess with it. Rex should have let Schwartz coach the defense and left him alone. And finally become a real head coach. They might have won more games if he had. But he wants to be a defensive guru at the expense of the team. 

Bills might have won the AFC East of Schwartz stayed on, and was allowed to coach, and call plays the way he saw fit with the emergence of Tyrod.

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

Also Q will see maybe 5 snaps a game this coming season, he was used out of necessity, not because he is this upcoming talent, he can't catch a cold, and is about as stiff as it comes when running routes, dude is just a big powerful guy nothing more.

We'll see, I totally disagree with that. I think he's a coming player and many receivers drop passes their first year. Even Jerry Rice did. He has good blocking skills and was not totally inept as a receiver,. I think he'll improve. If the draft of 2014 were today he'd go a lot higher probably in the first 3 rounds. 

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

how did it work exactly?  did they make the playoffs the year before?  they won same late meaningless games to make them look better than they were but if it worked they wouldn't have been looking for a new coach.

In the game NE tried against Buffalo in 2014 they allowed 37 points, they feasted on awful O's in NY and Miami.  they had the one great game against GB where they held them to 13 pts but the next week they allowed an awful oak O to score 26 against them.  This was not some great D in 2014.  he ruined nothing.

Just now, nyjunc said:

how did it work exactly?  did they make the playoffs the year before?  they won same late meaningless games to make them look better than they were but if it worked they wouldn't have been looking for a new coach.

In the game NE tried against Buffalo in 2014 they allowed 37 points, they feasted on awful O's in NY and Miami.  they had the one great game against GB where they held them to 13 pts but the next week they allowed an awful oak O to score 26 against them.  This was not some great D in 2014.  he ruined nothing.

I don't know what you're talking about when in the very articles you attached players, etc said the defense was a lot better under Schwartz than last season. It was their strong point and the had one of the best Ds in the NFL. And now you're denying it to support Rex Ryan. Listen, give Rex a few more years and we'll see what he does. He seems to have a lot of say about personnel and got his guy from Clemson (even though he is injured). If the Bills further regress this year I expect Whaley to be out. 

10 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I don't know what you're talking about when in the very articles you attached players, etc said the defense was a lot better under Schwartz than last season. It was their strong point and the had one of the best Ds in the NFL. And now you're denying it to support Rex Ryan. Listen, give Rex a few more years and we'll see what he does. He seems to have a lot of say about personnel and got his guy from Clemson (even though he is injured). If the Bills further regress this year I expect Whaley to be out. 

they didn't have one of the best D's, they had a better statistical D and won about the same.  this was not some great D, putting up #s w/o wins is meaningless.

Rex deserves criticism but to act like the 2014 Bills were great is silly.  if they were they don't let that HC go.

Just now, nyjunc said:

they didn't have one of the best D's, they had a better statistical D and won about the same.  this was not some great D, putting up #s w/o wins is meaningless.

Rex deserves criticism but to act like the 2014 Bills were great is silly.  if they were they don't let that HC go.

They were a real good defense in 2014 and everybody said so. Their D was on a playoff level. But the bottom line was the win loss record. They went down a game under Rex. Bottom line. 

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

They didn't let him go he opted out of his contract during some stupid built in 3 day window clause the Bills agreed to.

18 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

They were a real good defense in 2014 and everybody said so. Their D was on a playoff level. But the bottom line was the win loss record. They went down a game under Rex. Bottom line. 

The difference was NE rested starters in week 17 in 2015.  this year they didn't get NE resting starters week 17.  the teams were basically the same w/ a brand new, inexperienced QB and if that QB doesn't get hurt they likely make the playoffs despite the step back in D,

17 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

They didn't let him go he opted out of his contract during some stupid built in 3 day window clause the Bills agreed to.

They could have re-signed him, they chose not to.

21 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

"I was trying to trade for him when he had the hamstring. I was reading the [New York] papers, and I was like, ‘Well, hell, we’ll take him.’" 

He injured his hamstring during OTAs, when he was a NY Giant, after the draft was over. That's why the subject of Beckham's hamstring was in "the papers" that Ryan would have been reading at the time. 

I think that part seems like it's in reference to the second time he hurt it in training camp which I remember having been a bigger thing with Coughlin grumbling and stuff, but yeah, after the draft either way. Still a chance he's conflating it with the OTA injury and that with the Tennessee trade that stalled, but it would certainly bear the hallmarks of the Jets' slapstick brand of due diligence if we made a phone call or six during the summer too.

8 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

I think that part seems like it's in reference to the second time he hurt it in training camp which I remember having been a bigger thing with Coughlin grumbling and stuff, but yeah, after the draft either way. Still a chance he's conflating it with the OTA injury and that with the Tennessee trade that stalled, but it would certainly bear the hallmarks of the Jets' slapstick brand of due diligence if we made a phone call or six during the summer too.

Lol no argument there. Look under every rock, and stuff. 

11 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Bottom line was Rex was a 3-4 guy and Mario wanted to play 4-3 and when he didn't get exactly what he wanted he shat the bed

Should Rex have completely changed his philosophy to accommodate the diva?  Maybe.  

9 hours ago, drdetroit said:

Bottom line was Rex was a 3-4 guy and Mario wanted to play 4-3 and when he didn't get exactly what he wanted he shat the bed

Should Rex have completely changed his philosophy to accommodate the diva?  Maybe.  

A good coach adapts his scheme to the talent. And when you have one of the best Ds in the NFL (and one of the best D coaches) you keep what you have. Later if you want to build a team on your philosophy via the draft and trades. But it wasn't just Williams who didn't like what they were doing on the field. The whole idea is winning games.

Rex trying to go super secret, get that edge Rex!

Rex needs any edge he can get to get his team from 8-8 to 8-8 this year https://twitter.com/TyDunne/status/735092467658334208 

Tyler Dunne ✔ ‎@TyDunne
Media cannot report who is on the 1st team, 2nd team, who is "rushing the passer, dropped passes, INT's, QB completion percentage, etc."

Tyler Dunne ✔ ‎@TyDunne
When teams do this, it only hurts their own fans seeking information. https://twitter.com/peachomania/status/735095187354095616

Really hope the Jets don't do this tomorrow.

41 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Rex needs any edge he can get to get his team from 8-8 to 8-8 this year https://twitter.com/TyDunne/status/735092467658334208 

Tyler Dunne ✔ ‎@TyDunne
Media cannot report who is on the 1st team, 2nd team, who is "rushing the passer, dropped passes, INT's, QB completion percentage, etc."

Tyler Dunne ✔ ‎@TyDunne
When teams do this, it only hurts their own fans seeking information. https://twitter.com/peachomania/status/735095187354095616

in response to Tyler Dunne's tweet, it actually protects fans.  Most fans are idiots when it comes to football, no decisions are being made at an OTA but they feed fans info like QB #s and such and it means nothing but fans run with it and bash certain players and get their hopes up w/ other players.  This protects the fans from stupidity, we don't need this much info.

6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

in response to Tyler Dunne's tweet, it actually protects fans.  Most fans are idiots when it comes to football, no decisions are being made at an OTA but they feed fans info like QB #s and such and it means nothing but fans run with it and bash certain players and get their hopes up w/ other players.  This protects the fans from stupidity, we don't need this much info.

I disagree, its the whole reason I follow OTA tweets.  I like seeing this information.  Its for entertainment purposes just like everything else NFL does.  I don't need anyone protecting me from information, if anything this makes matters worse.  What happens when the fans show up and start tweeting the nonsense?  Are they making the fans signs NDAs? LOL  Look at the next post down that explicitly shows this is for "competitive advantages" This is just Rex being Rex as usual.  Last time he did this was when the Jets got Tebow and he didn't want anyone knowing the super secret way they were going to use him.  We all know how fantastic those gameplans turned out.  He is even trying to conceal injuries which is absolutely ridiculous.  Its not good to ostracize your fans or in your case, tell your fans they are too stupid to handle the information.

Just now, JETSfaninNE said:

I disagree, its the whole reason I follow OTA tweets.  I like seeing this information.  Its for entertainment purposes just like everything else NFL does.  I don't need anyone protecting me from information, if anything this makes matters worse.  What happens when the fans show up and start tweeting the nonsense?  Are they making the fans signs NDAs? LOL  Look at the next post down that explicitly shows this is for "competitive advantages" This is just Rex being Rex as usual.  Last time he did this was when the Jets got Tebow and he didn't want anyone knowing the super secret way they were going to use him.  We all know how fantastic those gameplans turned out.  He is even trying to conceal injuries which is absolutely ridiculous.

I just really feel like fans get far too much info and most don't really understand.  There are hardcore fans who get it and it's good for them but most don't really understand what they are trying to do.  Speaking of Tebow, that summer the reporters all had the daily tally even though it wasn't a QB competition.  It was ridiculous and that was training camp, this is OTAs.

One Buffalo Bills reporter basically says Rex is too stupid to function and he goes into full lockdown mode.  Considering how long this spiteful buffoon lasted in the NYC media, this is actually impressive.  

We can criticize Idzik on a lot of things but that man came in here successfully cut off whatever was left of Rex's d*ck and balls after the weight loss.  Guy still hasn't recovered.

8 hours ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Tyler Dunne ✔ ‎@TyDunne

Tyler Dunne ✔ ‎@TyDunne

Also, he may be a Jets fan but Joe Caporoso making fun of anyone for being thin-skinned is hilarious.  Guy is the softest little pr*ck on twitter. Challenge any one of his idiotic opinions and he immediately hits that block button. 

32 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Also, he may be a Jets fan but Joe Caporoso making fun of anyone for being thin-skinned is hilarious.  Guy is the softest little pr*ck on twitter. Challenge any one of his idiotic opinions and he immediately hits that block button. 

LOL I honestly don't know much about him or interact with the writers on twitter, I just have a catch all list of them to keep me informed.  He was the first tweet I saw today linking Tyler Dunnes tweets.

39 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

LOL I honestly don't know much about him or interact with the writers on twitter, I just have a catch all list of them to keep me informed.  He was the first tweet I saw today linking Tyler Dunnes tweets.

Calling him a writer is generous.

I figured as such lol, nothing against you or anything.  I just find it adorable that a guy with skin as thin as wrapping paper is the quickest to jump all over another person with thin skin. 

You're still good people OP.

I'm really enjoying the Buffalo Beat Writers working loop holes in the Media policy already.

Pretty funny and they are totally exhibiting why the new media policy is just plain stupid.  They will still find ways to report what they see.

3 hours ago, Mogglez said:

One Buffalo Bills reporter basically says Rex is too stupid to function and he goes into full lockdown mode.  Considering how long this spiteful buffoon lasted in the NYC media, this is actually impressive.  

We can criticize Idzik on a lot of things but that man came in here successfully cut off whatever was left of Rex's d*ck and balls after the weight loss.  Guy still hasn't recovered.

Yes, but he took the job knowing he'd have to keep Jeff Weeks' enabler around. Idzik waived any shot a self respect by taking the job under those circumstances. And he made it even worse by going along with more Ryan in Year 2. That jumping around the Miami lockerroom 2 years ago when they gave Ryan 1 more year was arguably the single stupidest thing in Jets legion of myriad mismanagement.  

4 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Yes, but he took the job knowing he'd have to keep Jeff Weeks' enabler around. Idzik waived any shot a self respect by taking the job under those circumstances. And he made it even worse by going along with more Ryan in Year 2. That jumping around the Miami lockerroom 2 years ago when they gave Ryan 1 more year was arguably the single stupidest thing in Jets legion of myriad mismanagement.  

Agree with everything you said. I probably should have made a disclaimer that goes into detail about how much I hate John Idzik as a whole.  I'm just happy that he effectively "broke" Rex Ryan.

48 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

I'm really enjoying the Buffalo Beat Writers working loop holes in the Media policy already.

Pretty funny and they are totally exhibiting why the new media policy is just plain stupid.  They will still find ways to report what they see.

This is absolutely incredible. 

10 hours ago, nyjunc said:

If they wanted to protect the fans from stupidity, then why did they hire Rex?

Archived