Is Geno a leader?

BowlesMovement

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, jmat321 said:

Leaders are born not made.  I've learned that the hard way being a business owner.  Someone either has "it" and can be developed or they don't.  

#bullsh*t. 

Nice try with the "patting yourself on the back" because you own a business.

Everyone is a leader, everyone's idea of what a leader is...is whats different. 

59 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Geno failed for 2 years and rather than act like a leader and learn from his suckage he chose the arrogant path and got his face smashed in. Yeah that's real leadership JC

Really?  Get over yourself.  I'm not saying Geno's a leader.  I'm saying leadership is a learned trait and hopefully his selfish behavior last year taught him something that may see him improve in this category.  For all the indignation, he's still a young dude who put himself above the team.  Personally, I've seen many a young person lose sight of this but eventually learn service before self.  Stop condemning his actions as the sum of all his worth and at least acknowledge he can overcome this.     

I mean most people say Jay cutler and Eli manning aren't leaders and they seem to be fine starting quarterbacks. They say Kaepernick isn't a leader either, and he's played in a super bowl and 2 NFC Championship games.

quarterbacks being leaders of the team is not that big of a deal rbh

No he is currently not a true leader of men.  Can he learn to be better? Yes.  Will he? Maybe, but the evidence so far says probably not. 

Now the question to where I'm guessing this question is leading, can he be a capable starter? Yes.  He was named the starter by the current regime just a year ago.   He has the skills and has never really had a chance to show what he can do with a killer offense and some time in the league.  I really don't think the outcome of the season will change much between he and Fitz, so why waste the cap space?  The only good reason I can think of is comfort and security for one season.  But that comes at the sacrifice of the long term.  

At least with Geno, we get the same mediocre qb play for a fraction of the price.   To me it is a no-brainer.  This is not a championship run season.  I know New York never likes to admit to rebuilding, but we are.  And if the gamble doesn't pay off, we get a great draft position and an extra $10mil for the future, maybe even get to keep Mo!  So if you care about the long term future of the Jets, then Geno is the best choice this season.  

57 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

do you actually think players or coaches are going to come out and give an interview stating that Geno is a bad Leader ??? Really ?

Is what happened last year not enough to convince you the guys a total a$$hole ?

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:
26 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Yes. 

Singletary asked Davis to "hit the showers" in the middle of a game, then proceeded to rip him a new one in front of the press....during an interview. 

All we've seen from the front office, coaches and players in respect to Geno Smith is this:

Macc:

Jets GM says he's 'excited to see' what Geno Smith can do if he's starting QB

By Jared Dubin | Staff Writer

May 3, 2016 8:46 am ET

Are you familiar with the saying, "If you have two quarterbacks, you don't have one?" Well, the New York Jets have three quarterbacks, and they're hoping to have four. Do with that what you will.

The Jets have spent the entire offseason dancing around Ryan Fitzpatrick, each hoping the other side will blink in their standstill negotiations. Fitzpatrick put up far better numbers last season than he had over the rest of his career and reportedly wants to be paid in accordance with those numbers, while the Jets want to pay him like last season was an outlier for a joureyman QB that had never previously been more than a below-average starter. And so Fitz has sat on the open market while the Jets spent the offseason withGeno Smith and Bryce Petty as the only quarterbacks on the roster.

Then last week's draft came around, and the Jets added former Penn State passer Christian Hackenberg to the mix. They used their second-round pick on Hackenberg, something teams don't normally do unless that at least view the player as a potential starter. The last second-round pick the Jets spent on a quarterback was on Smith, who wound up starting during his first season as a result of an injury to Mark Sanchez.

Smith started for the team in 2013 and 2014, and entered last offseason as the probable starter yet again, but a punch to the jaw from IK Enemkpali thrust Fitzpatrick into the lineup. He never relinquished the spot, even after Smith returned to the field.

The Jets have spent the entire offseason expressin their wish to bring Fitzpatrick back into the fold, even while refusing to meet his contract demands. Everyone from the coach to the owner to several players has stated they want him back. Add that to the fact that the Jets have drafted a quarterback each of the last two years and it doesn't seem like the have all that much confidence in the idea of "Geno Smith, starting quarterback."

But general manager Mike Maccagnan went on The Michael Kay Show on Monday and stated that he's "excited" to see what Geno can do if he's the starter this season.

“Going forward, you always have contingency plans,” Maccagnan said, per Newsday. “In the NFL, it's kind of like playing chess. At some point in time, you get down to where you run out of moves. We're not at that stage yet.

“Right now, Geno has been a starter for us, and actually played quite well prior to getting hurt last year, and was doing a good job in the offseason. So we're kind of excited to see what Geno can do, coming back. And we feel good about that.”

Smith was the Jets' starter for 29 games across the 2013 and 2014 seasons -- we have a general idea of what he can do. He completed 57.5 percent of his passes at 6.9 yards per attempt while throwing 25 touchdowns against 34 interceptions. New York went 11-18 in those games. That performance is likely what led the Jets to select a QB in the middle rounds of the 2015 draft, hoping to develop him into a potential starter. (The wisdom of that particular strategy notwithstanding.)

Geno Smith got a vote of confidence from his GM. (USATSI)

It also likely factored into the decision to take another QB in the second round just three years after selecting Smith there. So even if Maccagnan is publicly expressed confidence in his ability to be the starter, his actions tell another story. He's spent a bunch of his draft capital on quarterbacks during his two seasons as GM. That's not something you do if you're that confident in the ability of a 25-year old quarterback.

Then again, Maccagnan doesn't seem all that eager to have Hackenberg start right away, either. “With any player coming into the league, it is definitely a maturation process and it doesn't matter, again, what position you play,” Maccagnan said. “I think quarterback is probably one of the harder positions to transition into the NFL. I know there's always a desire to have them go out there and play right away. The reality is, though, that it's going to be determined by how he does.

“And I think, my personal opinion is, we'll see where he's at and how he is in terms of assimilating into our offense and our system . . . Some quarterbacks come in and play right away and some do well and some struggle and they go through growing pains.”

Topics: Bryce Petty, Geno Smith, IK Enemkpali, Mark Sanchez, Ryan Fitzpatrick, New York Jets, NFL

OC:

We already know what Chan said about Geno. 

Todd Bowles:

Todd Bowles: Geno Smith has learned from IK Enemkpali incident

Updated March 23, 2016 9:38 AM
By Kimberley A. Martin  kimberley.martin@newsday.com 

Reprints  + -

Geno Smith #7 of the New York Jets looks on in the first half against the Philadelphia Eagles at MetLife Stadium on Sunday, Sep. 27, 2015 in East Rutherford, New Jersey. Photo Credit: Jim McIsaac

BOCA RATON, Fla. — “The Punch” may have cost Geno Smith his starting job, but Jets coach Todd Bowles said it also provided the young quarterback with an opportunity to prove his mental toughness.

“He always worked hard,” Bowles said yesterday morning at the AFC coaches breakfast at the annual NFL owners meetings. “But he kept his head down and kept working and he moved on. And that’s tough to do. That’s tough to do.”

Latest Jets stories

Jets official: ‘We have high hopes for Hack’

Darrelle Revis parts ways with longtime agents

Jets’ Petty out to prove he belongs in NFL

Harris: Jets have shifted ‘defensive philosophy’

Gailey raves about rookie QB Hackenberg

Smith was the team’s No. 1 quarterback before a training-camp altercation changed the course of his career and the franchise. Then-teammate Ikemefuna Enemkpali was kicked off the team on Aug. 11 after punching Smith in the face in the Jets’ locker room over an unpaid $600 debt.

STORYBowles on Fitz: ‘Things will work out’STORYRGIII’s baggage not a factor for Jets’ Bowles

A healthy Smith returned to the practice field a month later following jaw surgery, but by then the Jets had put their trust in his backup, Ryan Fitzpatrick.

But if the 33-year-old free-agent quarterback doesn’t re-sign with the team, Bowles said Smith and third-stringer Bryce Petty “could be an option.” The coach also noted Smith, 25, has matured quite a bit since the incident, adding: “I think he handles situations differently than I saw him earlier in the year.”

So what more does the former 2013 second-round pick have to do to become a starting quarterback again?

“He just has to stay the path and keep doing what he’s doing,” Bowles said. “ . . . I think he just has to get an opportunity.”

Asked how “The Punch” affected Smith, Bowles said: “You learn from your mistakes, as we all do. …There’s a lot of people that could destroy your team after going through something like that, but he was a team player, he showed up on time <<<<<for you @BowlesMovement he worked hard and he kept his head down. And I respect him for that.”

Questioned further, the coach later clarified his word choice.

Said Bowles: “Maybe ‘mistake’ was a bad word. “It was an experience and you learn from your experience.”

Calvin Pryor:

Calvin Pryor tweets support for Geno Smith as Jets quarterback

quarterbacks. 3/23/16 (Video by Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)
Dom Cosentino | NJ Advance Media for NJ.comThere is still plenty of time for the Jets to work out a deal to keep free-agent quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. But in the event they can't, Geno Smith has been floated as a possible starting option by head coach Todd Bowles.

Safety Calvin Pryor—who's never afraid to speak his mind—would have no problem with that:

Pryor also had a reply at the ready in case anyone thought he was subtweeting a diss at Fitzpatrick:

Why does Pryor think Smith can do well if he becomes the starter again? 

This is certainly an interesting point. During Smith's rookie year, his top two receiving targets were Jeremy Kerley and David Nelson. Both have since been cut by the Jets; Nelson was gone in the middle of the following season, and Kerley basically spent 2015 as the Jets' No. 4 or No. 5 receiver.

In his second season, Smith had Eric Decker, but Decker was hampered a hamstring injury for a significant portion of the year. When Decker was either out or hindered, it was a bit of a problem for the Jets' passing game, which produced no other receivers with more than 38 catches.

6 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

What doe this question^^^^^^ have to do with the original question? 

Thats the problem, you get all dodgy instead of dealing with the fact that it happened in the past. 

smashmouth had mentioned that no coach is going to come out and say geno is a bad leader

you responded to him with "singletary did it"

I asked you how the head coaching gig went for singletary

there is a message here if you look hard enough

3 minutes ago, ylekram said:

smashmouth had mentioned that no coach is going to come out and say geno is a bad leader

you responded to him with "singletary did it"

I asked you how the head coaching gig went for singletary

there is a message here if you look hard enough

The message is just as irrelevant as the question. You're trying to explain away the fact that it happened. Furthermore, to prove that, hear from Vernon Davis own mouth how he appreciated this valuable lesson. There's a message here if you listen hard enough. 

1 hour ago, detectivekimble said:

I don't think I've ever seen a quote -- anonymous or not -- saying that Geno is an a&#036;&#036;hole or a bad leader.

He's just not a good starting QB.  Most of that has to do with not being able to figure out where to go with the ball quickly enough.

You haven't? Did you read what the WVU HC had to say? Or some of the Jers players questioning his leadership? Of course @Villain The Foe POS repd you though, lol

42 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Yes. 

Singletary asked Davis to "hit the showers" in the middle of a game, then proceeded to rip him a new one in front of the press....during an interview. 

All we've seen from the front office, coaches and players in respect to Geno Smith is this:

Macc:

Jets GM says he's 'excited to see' what Geno Smith can do if he's starting QB

By Jared Dubin | Staff Writer

May 3, 2016 8:46 am ET

Are you familiar with the saying, "If you have two quarterbacks, you don't have one?" Well, the New York Jets have three quarterbacks, and they're hoping to have four. Do with that what you will.

The Jets have spent the entire offseason dancing around Ryan Fitzpatrick, each hoping the other side will blink in their standstill negotiations. Fitzpatrick put up far better numbers last season than he had over the rest of his career and reportedly wants to be paid in accordance with those numbers, while the Jets want to pay him like last season was an outlier for a joureyman QB that had never previously been more than a below-average starter. And so Fitz has sat on the open market while the Jets spent the offseason withGeno Smith and Bryce Petty as the only quarterbacks on the roster.

Then last week's draft came around, and the Jets added former Penn State passer Christian Hackenberg to the mix. They used their second-round pick on Hackenberg, something teams don't normally do unless that at least view the player as a potential starter. The last second-round pick the Jets spent on a quarterback was on Smith, who wound up starting during his first season as a result of an injury to Mark Sanchez.

Smith started for the team in 2013 and 2014, and entered last offseason as the probable starter yet again, but a punch to the jaw from IK Enemkpali thrust Fitzpatrick into the lineup. He never relinquished the spot, even after Smith returned to the field.

The Jets have spent the entire offseason expressin their wish to bring Fitzpatrick back into the fold, even while refusing to meet his contract demands. Everyone from the coach to the owner to several players has stated they want him back. Add that to the fact that the Jets have drafted a quarterback each of the last two years and it doesn't seem like the have all that much confidence in the idea of "Geno Smith, starting quarterback."

But general manager Mike Maccagnan went on The Michael Kay Show on Monday and stated that he's "excited" to see what Geno can do if he's the starter this season.

“Going forward, you always have contingency plans,” Maccagnan said, per Newsday. “In the NFL, it's kind of like playing chess. At some point in time, you get down to where you run out of moves. We're not at that stage yet.

“Right now, Geno has been a starter for us, and actually played quite well prior to getting hurt last year, and was doing a good job in the offseason. So we're kind of excited to see what Geno can do, coming back. And we feel good about that.”

Smith was the Jets' starter for 29 games across the 2013 and 2014 seasons -- we have a general idea of what he can do. He completed 57.5 percent of his passes at 6.9 yards per attempt while throwing 25 touchdowns against 34 interceptions. New York went 11-18 in those games. That performance is likely what led the Jets to select a QB in the middle rounds of the 2015 draft, hoping to develop him into a potential starter. (The wisdom of that particular strategy notwithstanding.)

Geno Smith got a vote of confidence from his GM. (USATSI)

It also likely factored into the decision to take another QB in the second round just three years after selecting Smith there. So even if Maccagnan is publicly expressed confidence in his ability to be the starter, his actions tell another story. He's spent a bunch of his draft capital on quarterbacks during his two seasons as GM. That's not something you do if you're that confident in the ability of a 25-year old quarterback.

Then again, Maccagnan doesn't seem all that eager to have Hackenberg start right away, either. “With any player coming into the league, it is definitely a maturation process and it doesn't matter, again, what position you play,” Maccagnan said. “I think quarterback is probably one of the harder positions to transition into the NFL. I know there's always a desire to have them go out there and play right away. The reality is, though, that it's going to be determined by how he does.

“And I think, my personal opinion is, we'll see where he's at and how he is in terms of assimilating into our offense and our system . . . Some quarterbacks come in and play right away and some do well and some struggle and they go through growing pains.”

Topics: Bryce Petty, Geno Smith, IK Enemkpali, Mark Sanchez, Ryan Fitzpatrick, New York Jets, NFL

OC:

We already know what Chan said about Geno. 

Todd Bowles:

Todd Bowles: Geno Smith has learned from IK Enemkpali incident

Updated March 23, 2016 9:38 AM
By Kimberley A. Martin  kimberley.martin@newsday.com 

Reprints  + -

Geno Smith #7 of the New York Jets looks on in the first half against the Philadelphia Eagles at MetLife Stadium on Sunday, Sep. 27, 2015 in East Rutherford, New Jersey. Photo Credit: Jim McIsaac

BOCA RATON, Fla. — “The Punch” may have cost Geno Smith his starting job, but Jets coach Todd Bowles said it also provided the young quarterback with an opportunity to prove his mental toughness.

“He always worked hard,” Bowles said yesterday morning at the AFC coaches breakfast at the annual NFL owners meetings. “But he kept his head down and kept working and he moved on. And that’s tough to do. That’s tough to do.”

Latest Jets stories

Jets official: ‘We have high hopes for Hack’

Darrelle Revis parts ways with longtime agents

Jets’ Petty out to prove he belongs in NFL

Harris: Jets have shifted ‘defensive philosophy’

Gailey raves about rookie QB Hackenberg

Smith was the team’s No. 1 quarterback before a training-camp altercation changed the course of his career and the franchise. Then-teammate Ikemefuna Enemkpali was kicked off the team on Aug. 11 after punching Smith in the face in the Jets’ locker room over an unpaid $600 debt.

STORYBowles on Fitz: ‘Things will work out’STORYRGIII’s baggage not a factor for Jets’ Bowles

A healthy Smith returned to the practice field a month later following jaw surgery, but by then the Jets had put their trust in his backup, Ryan Fitzpatrick.

But if the 33-year-old free-agent quarterback doesn’t re-sign with the team, Bowles said Smith and third-stringer Bryce Petty “could be an option.” The coach also noted Smith, 25, has matured quite a bit since the incident, adding: “I think he handles situations differently than I saw him earlier in the year.”

So what more does the former 2013 second-round pick have to do to become a starting quarterback again?

“He just has to stay the path and keep doing what he’s doing,” Bowles said. “ . . . I think he just has to get an opportunity.”

Asked how “The Punch” affected Smith, Bowles said: “You learn from your mistakes, as we all do. …There’s a lot of people that could destroy your team after going through something like that, but he was a team player, he showed up on time <<<<<for you @BowlesMovement he worked hard and he kept his head down. And I respect him for that.”

Questioned further, the coach later clarified his word choice.

Said Bowles: “Maybe ‘mistake’ was a bad word. “It was an experience and you learn from your experience.”

Calvin Pryor:

Calvin Pryor tweets support for Geno Smith as Jets quarterback

quarterbacks. 3/23/16 (Video by Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)
Dom Cosentino | NJ Advance Media for NJ.comThere is still plenty of time for the Jets to work out a deal to keep free-agent quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. But in the event they can't, Geno Smith has been floated as a possible starting option by head coach Todd Bowles.

Safety Calvin Pryor—who's never afraid to speak his mind—would have no problem with that:

Pryor also had a reply at the ready in case anyone thought he was subtweeting a diss at Fitzpatrick:

Why does Pryor think Smith can do well if he becomes the starter again? 

This is certainly an interesting point. During Smith's rookie year, his top two receiving targets were Jeremy Kerley and David Nelson. Both have since been cut by the Jets; Nelson was gone in the middle of the following season, and Kerley basically spent 2015 as the Jets' No. 4 or No. 5 receiver.

In his second season, Smith had Eric Decker, but Decker was hampered a hamstring injury for a significant portion of the year. When Decker was either out or hindered, it was a bit of a problem for the Jets' passing game, which produced no other receivers with more than 38 catches.

So much precious time wasted, and I love the mention of me, so sweet of you!

18 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

I mean most people say Jay cutler and Eli manning aren't leaders and they seem to be fine starting quarterbacks. They say Kaepernick isn't a leader either, and he's played in a super bowl and 2 NFC Championship games.

quarterbacks being leaders of the team is not that big of a deal rbh

What the hell has Cutler ever won??

9 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

The message is just as irrelevant as the question. You're trying to explain away the fact that it happened. Furthermore, to prove that, hear from Vernon Davis own mouth how he appreciated this valuable lesson. There's a message here if you listen hard enough. 

the dude had 1 full season as a head coach. you brought it up as a rebuttal to smashs comments about no coaches call out lack of leadership in their players. all I asked is how did calling out davis work for singletary? last I checked he got fired(I don't even think he is still in the nfl) while Vernon davis still played for the 49ers. you rebuttal to smash was a 1 in a million shot and was irrelevant considering singletary was a failure of a head coach

38 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

Leaders are born not made.  I've learned that the hard way being a business owner.  Someone either has "it" and can be developed or they don't.  

Why would you thumb that down? Explain yourself. 

You own a business right? So you're a leader? Okay. 

Do you have employees? Im not sure, but lets say you do. Say you have 1 employee. Say that employee is working for you because they have a family to support (a family that they werent "born" with). 

Everytime that person goes home and takes care of his/her family by working at your company, they're representing themselves as a leader of that household, while at the same time providing an example through action that sacrificing their time to directly support them while supporting your business endeavor as a byproduct of that sacrifice is a sign of a leader.

Let your employee(s) all quit on you on Monday. You'll find out by Tuesday how much of a leader they were. 

7 minutes ago, ylekram said:

the dude had 1 full season as a head coach. you brought it up as a rebuttal to smashs comments about no coaches call out lack of leadership in their players. all I asked is how did calling out davis work for singletary? last I checked he got fired(I don't even think he is still in the nfl) while Vernon davis still played for the 49ers. you rebuttal to smash was a 1 in a million shot and was irrelevant considering singletary was a failure of a head coach

You wont drag me into the abyss of "explaining things away". 

I'll stay on topic. 

20 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

What the hell has Cutler ever won??

Well, he did make that pro bowl a while ago....tbh he hasn't won a damn thing, but he still a good starting quarterback. Let's say this: if cutler was on the jets, we would be in contention for the next few years if we kept the defense strong and good skill position players

Just now, Colgateman said:

Well, he did make that pro bowl a while ago....tbh he hasn't won a damn thing, but he still a good starting quarterback. Let's say this: if cutler was on the jets, we would be in contention for the next few years if we kept the defense strong and good skill position players

Cutler has played on very talented teams, and has done nothing. Why? Cause he sucks, all the physical talent in the world, but a 2 cent brain and zero leadership ability. I would want no part of Cutler on the Jets, none

18 minutes ago, Shadetree said:

If Fitz doesn't sign, I'll be pulling for petty or hack.

if Geno starts, he'll have my support, not my faith.

How does that work? 

I've never been able to support something that I didnt have faith in. If I ever said it, I was must have been lying obviously.

Just say you'll support the team. Thats what I did last year. 

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

How does that work? 

I've never been able to support something that I didnt have faith in. If I ever said it, I was must have been lying obviously.

Just say you'll support the team. Thats what I did last year. 

Lol, you supported the team by bashing the QB every week until week 16, if he won, you bashed him, if he lost, you bashed him, such support, lol

3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

do you actually think players or coaches are going to come out and give an interview stating that Geno is a bad Leader ??? Really ?

Is what happened last year not enough to convince you the guys a total a&#036;&#036;hole ?

3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Is what happened last year not enough to convince you the guys a total a&#036;&#036;hole ?

Yes, because we've never seen anonymous quotes before.  Of course you'd see some actual ******* quotes stating that.  You can't show me ONE quote from a player or someone in the community saying that Geno Smith is an a&#036;&#036;hole.  We've seen those types of things about guys like Ben Roethlisberger, Jay Cutler, etc.  But people are afraid to say something about Geno Smith?  Give me a ******* break.

And no, an isolated incident in which a guy with a violent criminal history hit Geno Smith in the face hasn't convinced me that Geno Smith is a total a&#036;&#036;hole.  Sorry.  And the word out of Florham Park is that he's a good soldier in the locker room.  

6 hours ago, BowlesMovement said:

I'm not going to tout where I learned about leadership on an Internet message board, but it cannot be learned if it's not there to begin with. It can be brought out or enhanced of its there, but some people just have no leadership ability, and failure is NOT what brings it out

so when Namath says he had no clue how to lead when he was young, had to learn and take control of the himself and the team, he has no clue what he's talking about? .  

39 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Yes, because we've never seen anonymous quotes before.  Of course you'd see some actual ******* quotes stating that.  You can't show me ONE quote from a player or someone in the community saying that Geno Smith is an a&#036;&#036;hole.  We've seen those types of things about guys like Ben Roethlisberger, Jay Cutler, etc.  But people are afraid to say something about Geno Smith?  Give me a ******* break.

And no, an isolated incident in which a guy with a violent criminal history hit Geno Smith in the face hasn't convinced me that Geno Smith is a total a&#036;&#036;hole.  Sorry.  And the word out of Florham Park is that he's a good soldier in the locker room.  

You are really saying no one thinks Geno is an ass hole when he got his face broke?    Yea, nice story bro...

4 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

He ment no one thought it ir they would have said it 

No, he said no one said it.  Clear as day. 

You can't show me ONE quote from a player or someone in the community saying that Geno Smith is an a&#036;&#036;hole.  We've seen those types of things about guys like Ben Roethlisberger, Jay Cutler, etc. 

Archived