How the Jets are selling out their most loyal season ticket holders

joewilly12

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

So you made a financial commitment to the Jets, took out a loan, and your intention is to default with 10 years left?

And you think the Jets are the ones who are stupid, disloyal, and disrespectful?

As far as who is the a-hole, let's see.  Is it the person who knows how to balance a checkbook or is it the person who overextends himself, makes one bad financial decision after another, has a master plan to default on a loan, blames others for his bad financial decisions, and tells a father of four to drive his car off a bridge?

SAR I

Again, has nothing to do with overextending. Believe it or not Sar u aren't the only a$$hole on the planet who can afford a psl. Yes I made a bad financial decision buying a psl. I wasted over 3k, plus the overpriced seat I have been paying for. 

I decided to stop the bleeding and cut my losses. Why is that so hard for u to understand?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

I was on the wait list in the old stadium, and finally got tickets in 2006. The benefit of having season tickets in the old stadium was that it used to be very hard to find decent seats for a decent game at a decent price on the open market (unless you came to the stadium on game day and found someone desperate in the lot). A large part of that was the low ticket prices for sure, but in 2009 when it was decision time on PSLs for me, I figured that the cost of the PSL would be worth locking in a decently priced ticket in the lower bowl.

In my area of the stadium, that has not been the case. You can easily find tickets for face value (or even under) for most games. The games I have to sell I'm lucky to get back face value - even against the Patriots. This isn't me complaining about prices or my PSLs - it's just as in terms of value, I probably would've been better off skipping the PSL, and cherry picking the games through the season that I wanted to attend. Chances are, I'd be able to get most tickets for right around face value.

This talks more to the changing times, how younger generations aren't as excited about attending live sporting events because they have the benefits of technology and other priorities.  Whether you had PSL's or not, you'd be faced with perpetually paying for season tickets or giving up a great location to play the Stubhub a-la-carte game.

For me, in the grand scheme of things since 2010, I've probably broken even.  Meaning that I've sold games I couldn't attend for 2x face value on occasion and I've gotten hit for a 50% loss on occasion, preseason is what it is.  I'd rather have the seats in-hand, know who I'm sitting next to, and have the onus to sell them a few times a year rather than the inverse and scrambling to buy them every week, dealing with the risk of a PayPal scammer, dealing with a potential bad barcode, dealing with a potential bad section full of drunks.

And in the end, if I wanted out, I'd sell the PSL's and make back some money.  If the Jets are a great team, I could make 30% on my original outlay, if the Jets suck I'd lose 50% of my original outlay, but it's money I can afford to gain/lose so it's nothing I think about.  The PSL was a price increase 8 years ago, nothing more.

SAR I

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

So you made a financial commitment to the Jets, took out a loan, and your intention is to default with 10 years left?

And you think the Jets are the ones who are stupid, disloyal, and disrespectful?

As far as who is the a-hole, let's see.  Is it the person who knows how to balance a checkbook or is it the person who overextends himself, makes one bad financial decision after another, has a master plan to default on a loan, blames others for his bad financial decisions, and tells a father of four to drive his car off a bridge?

SAR I

And I'm also 100% sure the jets are ok with my 3000 donation. There are so many available psls from the team and on the secondary market that they most likely won't be able to sell it. 

But I can see the team lowering the prices and claiming that it's 1/2 price x amount of years into the new stadium. 

Min sure when that happens u will loose your sh*t. 

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

This talks more to the changing times, how younger generations aren't as excited about attending live sporting events because they have the benefits of technology and other priorities.  Whether you had PSL's or not, you'd be faced with perpetually paying for season tickets or giving up a great location to play the Stubhub a-la-carte game.

For me, in the grand scheme of things since 2010, I've probably broken even.  Meaning that I've sold games I couldn't attend for 2x face value on occasion and I've gotten hit for a 50% loss on occasion, preseason is what it is.  I'd rather have the seats in-hand, know who I'm sitting next to, and have the onus to sell them a few times a year rather than the inverse and scrambling to buy them every week, dealing with the risk of a PayPal scammer, dealing with a potential bad barcode, dealing with a potential bad section full of drunks.

And in the end, if I wanted out, I'd sell the PSL's and make back some money.  If the Jets are a great team, I could make 30% on my original outlay, if the Jets suck I'd lose 50% of my original outlay, but it's money I can afford to gain/lose so it's nothing I think about.  The PSL was a price increase 8 years ago, nothing more.

SAR I

30% huh, fat chance, u are a delusional moron. Even if the team gets good u still are facing time decay, ask your financial adviser, he'll explain it to u. 

Just now, SAR I said:

SAR I

I agree and am in the same situation. 

I made the decision in 2009 to purchase PSLs, I wrote Woody a check, and I never looked back. I never saw the PSLs as 'liquid gold' as you might have claimed they'd be one or ten thousand times- it was simply an upfront cost increase that I figured would pay off over time. And even though it hasn't exactly worked out like that, it is what it is. I like my seats, I like the guys around me, and if I ever did decide to sell, I'd cut my losses and move on.

As for the preseason game rip off.. two words - charitable donation.

11 minutes ago, Section 333 said:

Again, has nothing to do with overextending. Believe it or not Sar u aren't the only a$$hole on the planet who can afford a psl. Yes I made a bad financial decision buying a psl. I wasted over 3k, plus the overpriced seat I have been paying for. 

I decided to stop the bleeding and cut my losses. Why is that so hard for u to understand?

We understand your situation completely since you've shoved your sad story of financial misery and frustration down our throats for years. We don't want to hear it anymore. 

What you don't understand, and we'd really like you to consider this, is that not everyone views PSL's as evil.  To some of us, they were the best thing that ever happened.  You weren't frozen out of seats in Giants Stadium for 20 years, you didn't walk around a parking lot at 1:05 to realize there were no seats and get back on a bus to Port Authority and miss the game on TV, you didn't rummage through Newsday looking for seats at fair prices and only find scalpers.  PSL's allowed loyal Jets fans to get permanent seats in their stadium.  Simple as that.  If there was no value in that for you, that's fair, we understand, but to many of us they were the only thing that allowed us to finally become season ticket holders.  And they weren't that expensive.  And the Jets didn't raise ticket prices for the first 8 years.  And the tickets are easy to sell on Stubhub.  It's not bad. It's a sweet deal for those who were blocked out of seats in 1988 and never thought our day would come.

SAR I

50 minutes ago, gEYno said:

But, he's never called me poor for not purchasing a PSL.  I think he's simply pointing out that PSLs aren't this terrible investment (for everyone) that the media/fans are trying to portray it as.  It is a terrible investment for the people that it was always going to be a terrible investment for... the folks who had to think about that money ever again... those who probably shouldn't have bought in the first place, which is far from everyone who bought those tickets.  Maybe I'm wrong... But that's how I read it, and I think that's generally what the truth is regarding PSL.

Thank you, that's exactly right.

Big picture, things are good for Jets fans since the PSL's.  Fans who were locked out of Giants Stadium now are part of the season ticket family.  Fans who couldn't afford season tickets can go to games a-la-carte.  Season ticket holders can recoup some money and help a fellow fan out by using Stubhub.  The only people who truly got hurt in the PSL process are the ones with grandpa's seats on the 50 from 1982 to 2009 who used it as a profit center and no one can feel sorry for them as they had it beyond great for decades on our backs.

SAR I

I posted the article not because i agree with it just thought it was interesting and informative PSLs are freedom of choice. 

PSLs shouldn't pit fan against fan. 

I also needed to lure SAR I out of hiding was worried about his well being. :D

What would stop a PSL owner season ticket holder from getting additional tickets with no PSL and selling them and not using the tickets thats what I think the concern is. 

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

LOL. Magic lessons. 

If Myers really wants to go after sports franchises and the 'fan ripoff' he should look at the Knicks. Forget PSL's, just look at the gameday ticket prices those season ticket holders are forced to accept. If there is any outrage over frivolous entertainment spending it's at MSG, not MetLife. 

SAR I

Knick's tickets are a much better value than Jet's tickets.  They are sold out even with the Knicks having their challenges.  I have Knick tickets in 226 Row 8 on the aisle that I share with 2 partners.

Tickets are $78 each.  If I don't go I can flip games an always make a profit or at the minimum break even.  Flipped the GS Warrior game for $300 each.  Can't do that with Jet tickets.

2 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

I agree.  This offer is only open to people who have already purchased a PSL. I don't see how it's unfair. It would be unfair if PSLs were waived for ALL new season tickets.  I received that email several days ago, it didn't piss me off.

I had the same reaction. Actually reached out to the Jets to see if any seats by me were open but there was none unfortunately.

20 minutes ago, Flushing Roots said:
20 minutes ago, Flushing Roots said:

Knick's tickets are a much better value than Jet's tickets.  They are sold out even with the Knicks having their challenges.  I have Knick tickets in 226 Row 8 on the aisle that I share with 2 partners.

Tickets are $78 each.  If I don't go I can flip games an always make a profit or at the minimum break even.  Flipped the GS Warrior game for $300 each.  Can't do that with Jet tickets.

Congrats for paying more money into the Dolan coffers.

33 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I posted the article not because i agree with it just thought it was interesting and informative PSLs are freedom of choice. 

PSLs shouldn't pit fan against fan. 

I also needed to lure SAR I out of hiding was worried about his well being.

What would stop a PSL owner season ticket holder from getting additional tickets with no PSL and selling them and not using the tickets thats what I think the concern is. 

I am fine, just enjoying the offseason which is in a holding pattern until the Fitzpatrick situation is decided.

The concern you mention is no different than the thousands of Stubhub seats that are available each week, it's a non-issue.  Everyone seems to be worried about the PSL holders psyche, like we're going to have a temper tantrum because some people are making an extra $5 a ticket or saved $30 or got free parking.  The money doesn't matter to PSL owners.  That's what some of you will ever grasp.  You want to make anti-PSL arguments on the grounds of morality or philosophy, that's fine, have at it.  But the money argument means nothing as we're used to spending this kind of coin on entertainment all the time, Jets tickets are a bargain compared to Rangers, Knicks, Yankee tickets, compared to Opera or Broadway tickets, family vacations, weekend sports cars, college tuition.  We're talking about pennies here, it's immaterial to the PSL holder.

SAR I

26 minutes ago, BRONX DUDE said:

Congrats for paying more money into the Dolan coffers.

Same money as the last 2 years.

Dolan is inept when it comes to the Knicks but at least he doesn't raise ticket prices when the team doesn't make the playoffs.

Can't say that about Woody.

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

Exactly.  We can't stress this enough.

The "value" in the PSL was that waitlisters who weren't born into a family whose grandfather was a Shea Stadium season ticket holder were frozen out of Giants Stadium for decades.  For 20 years I couldn't get a seat to a game, and if I did it was lousy.  These were the pre-internet days, you had to scour the Newsday classifieds and find a scalper.

The PSL process was a huge enema for the fanbase.  Those who didn't even like the Jets but were profiting from grandpa's seats were evicted.  Black market scalpers using cheap 50 yard line seats to put their kids through college were booted.  Finally it was fair to the rest of us who never had a chance.  No one talks about us.  We are subjected to the whining of the lucky and the users who had no right to the seats they were born into now that the tables are turned, there never was a platform for us to complain about the lack of ticket availability.  It's our turn now.  PSL's weren't a painful expense.  They were a God-send.  Let Myers write about that.

SAR I

This!  I was pumped about the PSL process.   That waiting list suuuuuckkked!!

Prior to PSLs, the Jets were sold out for decades. The Jets are now selling group tickets to every game, a situation they never had prior PSL. Also, they never had an ad budget prior to PSLs. And rarely did they have empty seats nor seats filled with opposing fans.

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

"I don't want to pay the PSL bill any more".

There are no PSL bills.  Back in 2008 you had two choices, pay in full or get on the payment plan.  The payment plan expired years ago.  So what PSL bill are you paying exactly?  Do you even have PSL's?  Are you even a season ticket holder? 

If you don't see the value in attending live NFL games, then don't go.  Don't tell the rest of us how to enjoy our time with our families.

What's 'old' and what's 'schtick' is you venting about your money problems and acting like the Jets and their fans are to blame for what you can or cannot afford.  You don't need a Jets forum, you need a financial advisor. 

SAR I

To answer the bolded above, allow me to interject:  There are lots of people who may still be on payment plans. There were two payment plan options: 5 year and 15 year.  Original purchasers under the 5 year plan are done.  15 year plan ppl have almost a decade more of payments.  Any PSLs purchased in the last few years might very well still be on a 5 year plan. 

My original seats and first upgrade were on the 5 year plan.  Those have been paid in full.  But then I upgraded again with an additional $10k cost  for which I elected a 5 year payment plan.  I am on year 3 of this second 5-year payment plan.  No regrets because I just love sitting between the 30 and 35 half way up the lower bowl.  Dream seats for me and my boys for sure.  You only live once.  I'll be moving out of the area in about 4 - 5 years and I know damned well I'll be lucky to get close to 50 cents on the dollar, probably more like 35 - 40 cents on the dollar when I resell the PSLs .  My choice and my eyes were wide open.  So, to all the dooshes here that enjoy demeaning those fans that were ok ponying up the PSL fees... just STFU already.  Keep your condescending remarks to yourselves. 

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

Prior to PSLs, the Jets were sold out for decades. The Jets are now selling group tickets to every game, a situation they never had prior PSL. Also, they never had an ad budget prior to PSLs. And rarely did they have empty seats nor seats filled with opposing fans.

Precisely, but not for the reason you think.

The PSL process shows us that Giants Stadium was filled with fakes, I'd guess about 20% of the stadium was comprised of scalpers, brokers, and grandchildren who weren't Jets fans, they were opportunists.  The moment the Jets asked for some money and set ticket prices appropriately, the gravy train was over, all these profiteering interlopers took off, and the stadium was finally filled with real fans. 

Oh, and some stats you will find enlightening:  MetLife Stadium seats 82,500 and Giants Stadium sat 78,000.  Current Jets average attendance in the new stadium is 78,160.  The Jets are #1 in the AFC in attendance since MetLife Stadium opened.  97% of the stadium was attended last year. 

There is no ticket problem for the Jets or their fans.  PSL owners are happy, sitting where they've always wanted to.  Ticket scalpers and brokers are gone, crushed by PSL owners and the free-market pricing system.  Casual fans and recent college grads can attend any game they want when PSL holders put their tickets up for sale on the internet.  Club Seats that look empty on TV are sold, filled with fans who are standing behind the bench or enjoying a meal as their premium access allows.  3% of the Jets seats are unsold but that is a function of a significantly larger stadium.  Importantly, the Jets have more fans than ever, truly more real fans than ever, and lead the AFC in attendance.  More Jets fans sit and cheer in MetLife than fans of the Broncos, Patriots, Colts, or any other perennial powerhouse and we are far from that quality of team.  The only people who have a problem with PSL's are those who can't afford them.  And that's not a problem.  That's just unfortunate.

SAR I

I actually added two seats in my section to my account last week. The article left off two things. 

You can only buy psl free seats in your section or lower. So a LGL person can buy LGL, EZ, Mezz A etc. 

A mezz a can buy a psl that is 4K or cheaper

Coaches club can buy any psl section in stadium with no psl. 

Also there is no two seat min you can get as much as you want. 

In good sections like LGL and lower sideline mainly high rows or seats closer to end zone. 

They have empty psls not in program but they are reserved to be sold as a psl or as individual games at a mark up by jets 

In 134 and 143 for instance mainly row 26 and back and no aisle towards Lower sideline. Best seats on Friday in LGL was row 26 in section 134 four seats off aisle from 135. 

Seats are sold in increments of two so you can buy 2, 4, 6 etc as jets don't want to get stuck singles which is where I think author thought you could only buy two. It is actually two at a time. 

The  psl gold 16k mezz a corner row one seats SAR bought not can be had 2k each. 

So 16k fit 4 psls can be had for 4K - buy two online 4K and add two more psl free. 

The jets have not had a single playoff game in new stadium which was real value psl. 

And coaches club promise of automatic super bowl tickets if Jets are in it what a joke 

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

You never paid a PSL and now you've quit on the team completely when after some success there are rough waters ahead.

You have no financial commitment and yet can still attend games by buying the seats of PSL holders who can't attend a few games. 

Congratulations on being living proof of 1) everything wrong with freeloading upper deckers and 2) how Stubhub and the aftermarket make PSL ownership carefree and are good for fans who can't afford season tickets. 

You use the Jets as an excuse for an argument that "rich people are stupid with their money" instead of facing the truth is that it's actually the poor people who are. You know, the idiots who overextend themselves on luxuries they cannot afford and then blame the people who can. 

SAR I 

Wow, entitled much?  So you are proposing that if you aren't rich, you can't be a fan?  I would argue that the commitment of some upper deckers are far greater than yours when they actually have to sacrifice other things in their life to afford to even be able to attend games, while entitled rich guy doesn't even worry about the cost of his tickets.  If the money means nothing to you, then you are the one giving nothing to the Jets.  

Archived