How the Jets are selling out their most loyal season ticket holders

joewilly12

I got no dog in this PSL argument. I am raising two kids and need to put aside money for college as they are high achievers and I don't want money to prevent them an education at a decent college. Therefore, even I can afford club seats easily, I prefer to cherry pick games and attend thru Stubhub.   

But I am on the fence this year. I think Mac and Bowles will build a contender and with Brady getting out of the picture, Jets will be in the division race a lot and winning the division and hosting play off games. 

I truly might be suckered into it this year. The idea of watching Jets hosting a play off game and winning it seems more real than ever. I really want to witness that with my kids live in the stadium. It will be priceless. Ugh. Why am I not as rich as SAR :(

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to imagine the primary goal here is to identify PSL holders who might be willing to upgrade to better seats or purchase additional PSLs. Any PSL holders buying these additional tickets are surely getting put on a sales call sheet for which they will never leave unless all the PSLs are bought and maintained. 

1 hour ago, brothermoose said:

Wow, entitled much?  So you are proposing that if you aren't rich, you can't be a fan?  I would argue that the commitment of some upper deckers are far greater than yours when they actually have to sacrifice other things in their life to afford to even be able to attend games, while entitled rich guy doesn't even worry about the cost of his tickets.  If the money means nothing to you, then you are the one giving nothing to the Jets.  

Nice try at the old turnaround.  I'm not entitled, I simply can afford the seats I bought.  I was responding to the poster who can't afford what he committed to who had the audacity to criticize PSL owners as if he is the one to decide how we spend our fun money.

As for you, this isn't your fight so stay out of it.  When I was 19 years old I barely had two nickels to rub together and found a way to get to games at full price, long before the internet or Stubhub ever existed.  Judge someone else.

SAR I

5 hours ago, Fed Hill Jet said:

This!  I was pumped about the PSL process.   That waiting list suuuuuckkked!!

True that.  If more people went through what we went through and sacrificed and suffered like we did perhaps they'd understand why the PSL process is a great thing, not a bad thing.

SAR I

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Wait so all  the PSL seats arent SOLD OUT

They were when the stadium opened in 2010, apparently there are PSL owners who have decided to default on their loans, can't blame the Jets for putting them on the market.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Fibonacci said:

I got no dog in this PSL argument. I am raising two kids and need to put aside money for college as they are high achievers and I don't want money to prevent them an education at a decent college. Therefore, even I can afford club seats easily, I prefer to cherry pick games and attend thru Stubhub.   

But I am on the fence this year. I think Mac and Bowles will build a contender and with Brady getting out of the picture, Jets will be in the division race a lot and winning the division and hosting play off games. 

I truly might be suckered into it this year. The idea of watching Jets hosting a play off game and winning it seems more real than ever. I really want to witness that with my kids live in the stadium. It will be priceless. Ugh. Why am I not as rich as SAR :(

You are going the right route now cherry picking on SH.  If the Jet's have a home playoff game, there will be plenty of tickets on SH and you will make it happen.

As I am sure you know, the price on playoff tickets is small potatoes compared to college.

As far as agonizing why you are not as rich as SAR, you may want to take that up with a good shrink.

1 hour ago, rowonejetfan said:

The  psl gold 16k mezz a corner row one seats SAR bought not can be had 2k each.

If someone in my row is dumb enough to default on their PSL commitment and another fan can scoop them up at half price, good for them.

I'm very happy with my seats and what I paid for them 8 years ago means nothing to me today.  I can speak for all PSL owners when I say that.

Very peculiar, these discussion forums.  Non-PSL owners looking for any rationale possible to make PSL owners feel like idiots for spending money we comfortably had and could afford almost a decade ago.  It's amusing really, not much different than how the Wall Streeters used to openly mock the Occupiers and watch them for amusement during lunch hour back in the day.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Fibonacci said:

I truly might be suckered into it this year. The idea of watching Jets hosting a play off game and winning it seems more real than ever. I really want to witness that with my kids live in the stadium. It will be priceless. Ugh. Why am I not as rich as SAR

You've got your priorities straight, and truth is the Jets are really my only indulgence, my only vice if you will.  I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't do drugs, I don't gamble, I don't go to bars, I don't own a dog, I don't generate any expenses outside of my typical boring day at the office and pedestrian weekends driving the kids from hockey to soccer practice.  Point being, even if I didn't have a strong financial situation I could take the money that others blow on beer and bar-hopping, put it towards the Jets, and be in the same place as they are.  You don't have to be 'rich' to be a PSL owner.  You just need to decide where to spend your money.

And as others have said, if the Jets ever win a division and host a home playoff game there will be tickets available on Stubhub and they'll be expensive but less than the cost of an entire season.  And God bless you for your optimism, I'm feeling 8-8 at best, 7-9 more likely.  Just don't have the roster and the schedule is too rough too early.

SAR I

I was on that waiting list for years, too, and agree that it SUCKED.  I was happy to finally get seats I love in my own name.

For me, the PSL money is now long forgotten.  That was years ago.  I did think about this the other day when someone posted about Falcons concession prices.  These games are freaking expensive.  I probably spend close to $400 per game when I take my kid.  Seats plus parking plus a hot dog, cookie, and water for him plus 2 beers for me.  Ouch.  But I really love going, and really hope he does one day, too.

This year will be rough with all those late season night games.  Especially if we get brutal QB play and suck.  But we shall see.

I like the concept of being an STH.  I like the little things like draft party, movie night, etc.  And I like not having to do anything other than send one electronic payment per year.  I take the same lanyards and same tickets each time and sit in a section I love.

Is it worth it?  That is tough to say.  I bet financially one can do better cherry picking.  But I love going and will continue to do so as long as I can as long as I continue to enjoy it.

19 minutes ago, Cornfed said:

I was on that waiting list for years, too, and agree that it SUCKED.  I was happy to finally get seats I love in my own name.

For me, the PSL money is now long forgotten.  That was years ago.  I did think about this the other day when someone posted about Falcons concession prices.  These games are freaking expensive.  I probably spend close to $400 per game when I take my kid.  Seats plus parking plus a hot dog, cookie, and water for him plus 2 beers for me.  Ouch.  But I really love going, and really hope he does one day, too.

This year will be rough with all those late season night games.  Especially if we get brutal QB play and suck.  But we shall see.

I like the concept of being an STH.  I like the little things like draft party, movie night, etc.  And I like not having to do anything other than send one electronic payment per year.  I take the same lanyards and same tickets each time and sit in a section I love.

Is it worth it?  That is tough to say.  I bet financially one can do better cherry picking.  But I love going and will continue to do so as long as I can as long as I continue to enjoy it.

Well said fed!  

They were when the stadium opened in 2010, apparently there are PSL owners who have decided to default on their loans, can't blame the Jets for putting them on the market.

SAR I

What happens when some fan defaults on their PSL obligation?

17 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

It's happened many times, I'll bet. No lawsuits yet. I guess the jets just take what they got and put em up for sale again.  Until they sell, they get rid of them through "add-tickets" plans like the one this thread is criticizing or letting brokers move them.  I'm sure they are always on ticket exchange too.  I wonder what the level of harrassment is from the team when a PSL debtor defaults.  I don't know. I haven't defaulted. Yet.  

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

But but that means there is no waiting list like the old Giants stadium...........I thought fans accepted the PSLs and it was the right thing to do........

1 hour ago, Cornfed said:

The large group I was involved with at the old stadium we made every game regardless of the day and time and regardless of the teams record,I guess PSLs means you can pick and choose. 

56 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The large group I was involved with at the old stadium we made every game regardless of the day and time and regardless of the teams record,I guess PSLs means you can pick and choose. 

Of course you can pick and choose.  PSLs don't force you to go to games; that's not how it works.  PSLs allow you to buy season tickets.  The Jets don't come to your door to make sure you show up if you have a conflict.  Maybe in Russia?

Personally, I choose to go to every game.  I missed one last year due to work travel.  Hope to get to all of them this year.  I love going.

1 minute ago, Cornfed said:

Of course you can pick and choose.  PSLs don't force you to go to games; that's not how it works.  PSLs allow you to buy season tickets.  The Jets don't come to your door to make sure you show up if you have a conflict.  Maybe in Russia?

Personally, I choose to go to every game.  I missed one last year due to work travel.  Hope to get to all of them this year.  I love going.

If you make the investment you make the commitment. 

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

If you make the investment you make the commitment. 

No.  PSLs are a fee you pay for the right to buy season tickets for given seats.  You choose whether or not you go, stay home, sell the tickets, etc.  You do not commit to attend every game.

We are all born with something called Free Will.  This gives all of us the power of acting without the constraint of necessity or fate.  In other words, we have the ability to act at our own discretion.  I took that right from the dictionary.  More information is linked below.

When you buy a PSL, you do not give up your Free Will.  The Jets also don't start coming to our homes and telling us how to raise our children, where to shop, and what news content we may read.  It's just a fee to go to games.  It's really not that bad.

If this is what was holding you back from getting tickets, I hope this clarification helps.  Go Jets!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_will

10 minutes ago, Cornfed said:

No.  PSLs are a fee you pay for the right to buy season tickets for given seats.  You choose whether or not you go, stay home, sell the tickets, etc.  You do not commit to attend every game.

We are all born with something called Free Will.  This gives all of us the power of acting without the constraint of necessity or fate.  In other words, we have the ability to act at our own discretion.  I took that right from the dictionary.  More information is linked below.

When you buy a PSL, you do not give up your Free Will.  The Jets also don't start coming to our homes and telling us how to raise our children, where to shop, and what news content we may read.  It's just a fee to go to games.  It's really not that bad.

If this is what was holding you back from getting tickets, I hope this clarification helps.  Go Jets!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_will

Back in the day YOU TOOK A CHANCE SELLING TICKETS ON THE OPEN MARKET IF YOU DID AND SOMEONE VIOLATED THE RULES you lost your season tickets 

If you didn't  or couldn't attend the game (hardly ever) you ate the tickets. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Back in the day YOU TOOK A CHANCE SELLING TICKETS ON THE OPEN MARKET IF YOU DID AND SOMEONE VIOLATED THE RULES you lost your season tickets 

That's wonderful.  Thank you for that insightful perspective.

I go to just about every game.  On the off chance I can't go, I usually give my tickets to friends.  The Jets don't come after me or even YELL AT ME IN ALL CAPS.

Here is the Trololo guy.

16 minutes ago, Cornfed said:

That's wonderful.  Thank you for that insightful perspective.

I go to just about every game.  On the off chance I can't go, I usually give my tickets to friends.  The Jets don't come after me or even YELL AT ME IN ALL CAPS.

Here is the Trololo guy.

Enjoy the season always great to be part of the atmosphere tailgating and live action on the field. 

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

Nice try at the old turnaround.  I'm not entitled, I simply can afford the seats I bought.  I was responding to the poster who can't afford what he committed to who had the audacity to criticize PSL owners as if he is the one to decide how we spend our fun money.

As for you, this isn't your fight so stay out of it.  When I was 19 years old I barely had two nickels to rub together and found a way to get to games at full price, long before the internet or Stubhub ever existed.  Judge someone else.

SAR I

You're pissing on people because they can't afford PSL's yet still manage to attend games.  I'm just calling it like it is.  Money doesn't determine fandom and as a fan I fully reserve the right to call you out on your verbal diarrhea.  You don't determine fandom small potatoes. 

3 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

A fan who paid his PSL in full and then chooses not to purchase season tickets loses this license, the Jets keep the money, the Jets are free to sell the PSL to someone else at a price that they see fit.

A fan who was on a PSL payment plan would be through a third-party financing company and would be defaulting on a loan, no different than if you stopped making car payments, I'm assuming they'd sell your debt to a collection agency, report you to credit rating companies, the works.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Cornfed said:

I bet they make you say that.

3 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Likely nothing happens.

Aside from boring reasons why collections efforts and/or litigation would generally be unprofitable, there are two common sense reasons why any team is unlikely to pursue collection.

First, it would be terrible publicity. Going after a guy for a few thousand dollars on a PSL is likely to cost the team more than what they could hope to recover on the PSL. One person decides not to buy a PSL to avoid the risk of a lawsuit if they suffer a financial downturn is enough to make that collection effort unprofitable.

Second, the team can resell the PSL at full value and make more money by reselling the PSL. If you buy a $10K PSL and default with $5K owed then the team can resell at $10K and pocket your $5K. Whatever lost ticket sales they make not selling season tickets on that PSL will be mitigated by selling the tickets individually. So there's no financial sense to risk the bad publicity plus all the more technical problems with collections if they can make money or at least break even just by reselling the PSL.

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

But but that means there is no waiting list like the old Giants stadium...........I thought fans accepted the PSLs and it was the right thing to do........

There was a waiting list, and everyone on it took advantage of the PSL process and is happily in their new seats for the past 8 years.

The fan "void" you are referring to is easy to diagnose.  About 75% of the people who owned all the best seats between the 20's on the lower level and mezzanine at Giants Stadium weren't real Jets fans.  Scalpers, brokers, corporations, grandchildren, all the profiteers who make a cottage industry out of reselling $125 tickets for $500 were forced out of the stadium for good.  No way they'd pay a $25,000 PSL and no way they could turn a profit with $500 club ticket prices.  Good riddance.

And the 25% of the fans who had those great seats and stuck around, they break down into two factions:  Some took a lesser location and paid their PSL fee, some ran to the upper deck and then bolted when the playoffs stopped in 2011.

The bottom line is that even in the Idzik years, the Jets have the same 78,000 fans in MetLife as they did in Giants Stadium, and they still lead the AFC in ticket sales, #4 overall in the NFL.  But the composition of the fanbase is drastically different.  Gone are the scalpers and brokers, gone are the Shea grandchildren, gone are the profiteers.  The fans in the stadium don't have an ulterior profit motive.  They just love the Jets.  And that's a great thing.

SAR I

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

That's not the case any more.  One of the rights of PSL holders is to resell tickets without threat of punishment, we are free to do as we wish at any price.  Same for reselling the PSL's to another party, there is a simple paperwork process but we hold the cards.

And this is another benefit of PSL's:  No one "eats" tickets any more.  If I can't go to a few games because of work or family obligations I can recoup as much money as I can for those times, take advantage of Stubhub and their instant downloads, let another Jets fan go to a game at fair market value.

You can stop trying to take shots at the PSL process and PSL owners now.  It worked.  It worked for the Jets, it worked for their fans, it worked for the waitlisters, it got the carpetbaggers and the profiteers out, it's all good.

SAR I

35 minutes ago, brothermoose said:

You're pissing on people because they can't afford PSL's yet still manage to attend games.  I'm just calling it like it is.  Money doesn't determine fandom and as a fan I fully reserve the right to call you out on your verbal diarrhea.  You don't determine fandom small potatoes. 

It's the complete opposite.  People are pissing on PSL owners like myself because we can afford them.  The rhetoric is defensive, not offensive.  Start reading this thread from the beginnings, see the callouts, see the personal attacks, then see my responses.

There's some pathetic unwritten rule on the internet that says people without money can take shots at people with money and not the other way around.  Well, when people stop throwing their poverty in our faces, we'll stop throwing our wealth in theirs I guess, PSL owners aren't here to be told how to spend our fun money.

SAR I

28 minutes ago, SAR I said:

It's the complete opposite.  People are pissing on PSL owners like myself because we can afford them.  The rhetoric is defensive, not offensive.  Start reading this thread from the beginnings, see the callouts, see the personal attacks, then see my responses.

There's some pathetic unwritten rule on the internet that says people without money can take shots at people with money and not the other way around.  Well, when people stop throwing their poverty in our faces, we'll stop throwing our wealth in theirs I guess, PSL owners aren't here to be told how to spend our fun money.

SAR I

540_293_resize_20130801_36e1b597b01ae6d9

Archived