Geno Smith: An Honest Look at the Past

JETSfaninNE

Ok its time to settle the dust on this whole Geno sucks and is the worst QB to ever pick up a football rhetoric.  We are a couple years removed from his first 2 seasons and its time to go back and look at nearly every snap (good and bad) and time to take off the rose or blood tinted glasses we all wear (depending on what side you are on).  The same person that has been doing the breakdowns for Hackenberg recently has now started to go back and re-evaluate Geno Smith.  This will be a heavy twitter video thread so sorry to those who can't see the twitter videos. Source

Here is a quick synopsis of what Edward has to say: 

Be amazed to see a rookie Geno setting protections in his first starts, doing hard counts, going through reads, NOT staring down, exhibiting great presence of mind and all the errors that come with that as i'm quickly seeing myself that Geno was even better the moment he joined the team than it seemed. I'm gonna be posting in that twitter thread all week/beyond, so anyone who wants to ride the ups and downs of Geno (again i'm posting literally every good and bad play), just check that thread.

I'm going to start by just copying the tweets to his very first NFL game against the Bucs, more to come later.  PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION CIVIL IN THIS THREAD AND LEAVE THE OFF FIELD CRAP OUT OF HERE, PLENTY OF OTHER THREADS FOR THAT STUFF.

Week 2 against the Patriots will be posted later in this thread.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Bugg said:

The Suck. 

That was incredibly enlightening and very constructive, where can I subscribe to your future 2 word posts?  Seriously I know it easy to just slapass internet rep points with 0 effort, but it would help if you know tried to offer anything worthwhile to the thread that has plenty of evidence for either side of the argument.

EDIT: Fixed the title so not to attract more of the same comments.

Nicely done.  If Geno is the starter this year it will interesting to see how he has developed since then. The tools are certainly there and now thst he has some actual NFL talent on offense and a OC who actually helps quarterbacks improve.

10 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Nicely done.  If Geno is the starter this year it will interesting to see how he has developed since then. The tools are certainly there and now thst he has some actual NFL talent on offense and a OC who actually helps quarterbacks improve.

REX has never had a QB get better under his watch......  Geno was thrown to the wolves.

1 hour ago, JETSfaninNE said:

That was incredibly enlightening and very constructive, where can I subscribe to your future 2 word posts?  Seriously I know it easy to just slapass internet rep points with 0 effort, but it would help if you know tried to offer anything worthwhile to the thread that has plenty of evidence for either side of the argument.

EDIT: Fixed the title so not to attract more of the same comments.

You didn't use the word "wrong" to describe my response.

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

He just needs a fair chance.

With talent around him.

So we can see what we have.

I bet he'll give 110%.

And all the sarcastic comments wont make it less true.  But Fitz fans dont want to see what Geno can do.  They just want to keep saying he sucks or give some half assed sarcastic comment about him needing to play with the same talent Fitz had.  As if that shouldnt make a difference. 

Let them go head to head in the preseason, whoever plays better is the QB.

I can make a 5 minutes cut of Tebow plays that if you didn't know any better you would have thought he was an all star. The teams he played on were bad. But you still have to show something when you play. Great quarterbacks can play well despite these 'excuses'  luck, Manning.. 

So we obviously know geno will never be a great quarterback, but can he be a decent qb? Maybe. But he is far too inconsistent. Watching him against the Raiders I saw no improvement 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

And all the sarcastic comments wont make it less true.

Make what less true?

But Fitz fans dont want to see what Geno can do.

I refuse to speak for others, but no, I don't want to see any more of what Geno can (or can't) do.  

Let them go head to head in the preseason, whoever plays better is the QB.

Let who go head to head?  

Geno, Petty and Hack are our QB's.  If that stands, Geno will not be made to compete.

If Fitz is signed, he will be named starter by Macc and Bowles.  Geno will not be invited to compete.

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

You didn't use the word "wrong" to describe my response.

Why would I do that?  Its your opinion not mine, free country yadda yadda.  But no matter anyway, I changed the title once I realized I was inviting those type of responses.

1 hour ago, ylekram said:

when the other 50 geno excuse threads wasn't good enough for ya. POW!! here comes the ultimate geno excuse thread to crush all others

Why are you considering this a Geno excuse thread?  I think I presented the thread as a perfect example for both sides to have some tangible evidence to work with.  He is a controversial player in most Jets Fans eyes of course there will be lots of threads about him as we approach May 24th with no sight of Fitz to sign.  This is your #1 QB and right now deserves the attention.

But you probably glossed over the first post and then decided you could be all snarky and obligated to make a snide comment.  Its amazing how juvenile some people can be around here.  I guess I was crazy to expect some depth from most posters.

Jeez getting home and reading the comments in here, this really blew up in my face.  I guess I was crazy to think I could create a thread that would warrant rational discussion on both sides of the aisle with evidence for both.  Most I'm guessing didn't even look at half the tweet videos.  The whole idea was to show the entirety of the game not "highlight" videos where its only the good plays.

I won't bother doing anymore of these as the discussion is just toxic around here but for anyone that does care to follow along, the original tweeter who will be doing these all week for every single snap of the first 2 years, you can follow him here

https://twitter.com/edwardgorelik

33 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Why are you considering this a Geno excuse thread?  I think I presented the thread as a perfect example for both sides to have some tangible evidence to work with.  He is a controversial player in most Jets Fans eyes of course there will be lots of threads about him as we approach May 24th with no sight of Fitz to sign.  This is your #1 QB and right now deserves the attention.

But you probably glossed over the first post and then decided you could be all snarky and obligated to make a snide comment.  Its amazing how juvenile some people can be around here.  I guess I was crazy to expect some depth from most posters.

I have watched every throw geno has made since he was a jet. so has everyone else on this board. I don't need your "tangible evidence" and this board doesn't need another geno "excuse" thread. call me snarky, snide, or juvenile all you want. you want depth from posters, there is plenty of depth in 10 other geno excuse threads right on the front page of this forum

and why does geno deserve the attention? so one side can talk about what he might do and the other can talk about what he cant do? while you effort is appreciated, this board didn't need another geno thread. my apologies for being a wise azz, but this subject is getting old

9 minutes ago, ylekram said:

I have watched every throw geno has made since he was a jet. so has everyone else on this board. I don't need your "tangible evidence" and this board doesn't need another geno "excuse" thread. call me snarky, snide, or juvenile all you want. you want depth from posters, there is plenty of depth in 10 other geno excuse threads right on the front page of this forum

and why does geno deserve the attention? so one side can talk about what he might do and the other can talk about what he cant do? while you effort is appreciated, this board didn't need another geno thread. my apologies for being a wise azz, but this subject is getting old

Can't wait to see how you react if Fitz isn't signed before Tuesday!  Because you better get used to talking about Geno, gonna see a lot more of it.  The point of the thread is lost on you and that is fine, I wasn't looking to change peoples opinions, just possibly wipe some of the biased away (from both sides of the aisle) since most people are going by memory and here is a perfectly cataloged display of every snap of the first game, good and bad.  And I've been in all the threads and not one bothered to put together a larger more cohesive thread then this, if you are tired of it, get out and don't bother entering Geno threads, its very easy to ignore, hell you can even ignore me.  Funny thing is I'm not even a Geno supporter, I am a Jets supporter and if they put him under center I'll root for the kid.  I think my post history shows pretty well where I stand with Geno. 

You got what you wanted anyway, I'm not going to bother with the rest, I've posted where people can find them.

1 hour ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Jeez getting home and reading the comments in here, this really blew up in my face.  I guess I was crazy to think I could create a thread that would warrant rational discussion on both sides of the aisle with evidence for both.  Most I'm guessing didn't even look at half the tweet videos.  The whole idea was to show the entirety of the game not "highlight" videos where its only the good plays.

I won't bother doing anymore of these as the discussion is just toxic around here but for anyone that does care to follow along, the original tweeter who will be doing these all week for every single snap of the first 2 years, you can follow him here

https://twitter.com/edwardgorelik

Dude, I appreciate what you're doing, especially showing the real for a guy who's getting nothing but hate from the fanbase. I would personally appreciate it if you continue posting those vids as they're released. It seems like he'll be putting up vids of week 2 soon. 

One thing about doing this, you have to accept the fact that many people wont accept the obvious because hating is much more enjoyable. You make a case for Geno and suddenly you're an apologist. Whatever, keep posting bro. 

51 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Can't wait to see how you react if Fitz isn't signed before Tuesday!  Because you better get used to talking about Geno, gonna see a lot more of it.  The point of the thread is lost on you and that is fine, I wasn't looking to change peoples opinions, just possibly wipe some of the biased away (from both sides of the aisle) since most people are going by memory and here is a perfectly cataloged display of every snap of the first game, good and bad.  And I've been in all the threads and not one bothered to put together a larger more cohesive thread then this, if you are tired of it, get out and don't bother entering Geno threads, its very easy to ignore, hell you can even ignore me.  Funny thing is I'm not even a Geno supporter, I am a Jets supporter and if they put him under center I'll root for the kid.  I think my post history shows pretty well where I stand with Geno. 

You got what you wanted anyway, I'm not going to bother with the rest, I've posted where people can find them.

If a guy has a years worth of snaps we could probably cut up every QB in gif form and accentuate the positives. Context is key.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

If a guy has a years worth of snaps we could probably cut up every QB in gif form and accentuate the positives. Context is key.

Having one game against the Raiders, coming in cold with no chemistry with the 1's and having every hater say that he had just an absolute terrible game, while over-emphasizing the int and bad sack takent isnt context whatsoever. Everyone ran with that story though. 

Then a random guy did just what this guy in this thread did and put together gifs/vids of every Geno snap then with some explanation you soon realize that "blowing up that int/sack bigger than what it was is really taking things out of context". Check out the link here. 

http://nflbreakdowns.com/geno-smith-vs-oak-week-8-265-yards-2-td-1-int/

You can tell when its hate too because you'll have a guy who will show passing play after passing play and will explain "what else" is happening on he play, in otherwords...showing what is also contributing to the overall problems, and instead of people acknowledging they instead respond with "I can make GIF's of Tebow that will make him look like a superstar". There's no talking to people like that. 

So sure, context is key, but when has that ever mattered when its Geno Smith? The thread above was placed in another threat yet totally ignored because its contrary to the drama and other nonsense they want to have surrounding Geno. 

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

There's no talking to people like that. 

People who think their own analysis is the only possible correct analysis, and start every discussion with the presumption that they are infallible, and any opposition must be "hate" or "ignorance" or somehow emotion-based and of poor logic, despite they themselves being so blatantly biased, selective and nonobjective that it's almost funny?

Yeah, there is no talking to people like that, I agree.

:mellow:

45 minutes ago, Warfish said:

People who think their own analysis is the only possible correct analysis, and start every discussion with the presumption that they are infallible, and any opposition must be "hate" or "ignorance" or somehow emotion-based and of poor logic, despite they themselves being so blatantly biased, selective and nonobjective that it's almost funny?

Yeah, there is no talking to people like that, I agree.

:mellow:

Says the "master debater" lol. 

Yet I can sit here, find countless "Geno was so damn terrible in that Raiders game" quotes....yet at the same time post a link,

showing that he wasnt. 

"Hate analysis" is indeed fallible. 

:o

5 hours ago, JetBlue said:

And a defense that isn't finger-marked by Kyle Wilson.

10 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Says the "master debater" lol. 

Yet. I can sit here, find countless "Geno was so damn terrible in that Raiders game" quotes....yet at the same time post a link,

showing that he wasnt. 

"Hate analysis" is indeed fallible. 

:o

Ad hominem attacking!!! Hypocrite!!

Archived