Geno Smith: An Honest Look at the Past

JETSfaninNE

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, jett said:

I can make a 5 minutes cut of Tebow plays that if you didn't know any better you would have thought he was an all star. The teams he played on were bad. But you still have to show something when you play. Great quarterbacks can play well despite these 'excuses'  luck, Manning.. 

So we obviously know geno will never be a great quarterback, but can he be a decent qb? Maybe. But he is far too inconsistent. Watching him against the Raiders I saw no improvement 

^ Typical symptom of blind hatred.

Gailey: "The one game he played in last year [in Oakland], I thought he did very well. There's always room for improvement, but I thought he did very well. And I think he's made giant steps. I think he's right on track for where I'd like him to be." 

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Make what less true?

I refuse to speak for others, but no, I don't want to see any more of what Geno can (or can't) do.  

Let who go head to head?  

Geno, Petty and Hack are our QB's.  If that stands, Geno will not be made to compete.

If Fitz is signed, he will be named starter by Macc and Bowles.  Geno will not be invited to compete.

You should know how this reads.  

Maccs the GM, he names no one the starter.  But if he's signed, I assume he has the job 

6 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

REX has never had a QB get better under his watch......  Geno was thrown to the wolves.

Rex and his "staff" consistently made QBs worse IMO.

Sanchez was better technically after one year of college ball, then he was with the red light, green ...light one...... two ... three he got under Jet coaching and the same can be said for Geno.

The fact is both guys could have sucked for sure, but they never had a chance with the utter incompetence at the top coaching positions.

I've watched about half of the videos. What are they supposed to be showing me? We had weak tackle play and one of the receivers was 5'9. And that random dude on internet wants to break down everything that was wrong with that offense other than Geno Smith. That's all I've taken from it. How is any of this supposed to be showing that Geno is any good? If being surrounded by a bad offense means you're a good QB, then we've had like 10 franchise QBs in our history.

It's really comical seeing the 'geno haters'  vs the 'Fitz haters' . Because no one is game for both, and they both ridicule each other for being a blind hater. If you support Fitz you hate geno and if you support geno he hasn't been given a fair try and Fitz is absolutely not the answer. They both sh*t on each other for blind hatred when they both blind Hate the other. It's funny. 

1 hour ago, stoicsentry said:

I've watched about half of the videos. What are they supposed to be showing me? We had weak tackle play and one of the receivers was 5'9. And that random dude on internet wants to break down everything that was wrong with that offense other than Geno Smith. That's all I've taken from it. How is any of this supposed to be showing that Geno is any good? If being surrounded by a bad offense means you're a good QB, then we've had like 10 franchise QBs in our history.

Agreed. There's no analysis; it's just casting blame elsewhere. When he identifies a bad move on Geno's part he uses a third of the words spent blaming somebody else. 

Ok this crap is hilarious .

OMG is Geno actually pointing at an LB  ?? How could he possibly pull off this daunting task so early in his career. Changing Protections in year one ? I thought that didn't happen until year 3 at least.

Now not only does Geno suck but his supporters are getting even funnier if that's even possible

25 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

OMG is Geno actually pointing at an LB  ?? How could he possibly pull off this daunting task so early in his career. Changing Protections in year one ? I thought that didn't happen until year 3 at least.

Now not only does Geno suck but his supporters are getting even funnier if that's even possible

You have no rights to criticize anyone after you said Fitztragic and Gannon were the same until I posted the facts and you ran out of the thread and disappeared.

Let who go head to head?  

Geno, Petty and Hack are our QB's.  If that stands, Geno will not be made to compete.

If Fitz is signed, he will be named starter by Macc and Bowles.  Geno will not be invited to compete.

So the Jets think he is good enough to be their starter , but not compete for a backup spot? Makes sense.

I love Fitz and think he has earned the starting job. But Trust me , the people on this board would not have been supportive of Ryan Fitzpatrick in year 3 or 4 of his career. He was not a very good QB back then

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

You are indeed diametrically opposed. 

Atleast you wont have to worry about Geno once Fitz is resigned....

2 hours ago, Bronx Jet01 said:

So the Jets think he is good enough to be their starter , but not compete for a backup spot? Makes sense.

I love Fitz and think he has earned the starting job. But Trust me , the people on this board would not have been supportive of Ryan Fitzpatrick in year 3 or 4 of his career. He was not a very good QB back then

I don't think for a second that Macc and Bowles think Geno is "good enough to be their starter".  They may have to stomach it due to circumstances and a lack of alternative options, but that's not the same thing.  and no amount of Chan offseason PR hot air will convince me this organization believes in Geno Smith.

As to you your comparison, these types of "well this guy did X, so surely this other guy will do X too" are just weak logic.  We see it all the time with "well, Peyton Manning was bad his first two years, so clearly Geno Smith can bounce back".  There is a term for this, False equivalence, and it's a rather obvious logical fallacy.

Geno Smith may (or may not) become a average or better starting NFL QB.  But if he does, it will have nothing whatsoever to do with if or how good Peyton Manning was (or was not) in his first two years, nor how good (or bad) Ryan Fitzpatrick was in his first two years.

I don't think for a second that Macc and Bowles think Geno is "good enough to be their starter".  They may have to stomach it due to circumstances and a lack of alternative options, but that's not the same thing.  and no amount of Chan offseason PR hot air will convince me this organization believes in Geno Smith.

As to you your comparison, these types of "well this guy did X, so surely this other guy will do X too" are just weak logic.  We see it all the time with "well, Peyton Manning was bad his first two years, so clearly Geno Smith can bounce back".  There is a term for this, False equivalence, and it's a rather obvious logical fallacy.

Geno Smith may (or may not) become a average or better starting NFL QB.  But if he does, it will have nothing whatsoever to do with if or how good Peyton Manning was (or was not) in his first two years, nor how good (or bad) Ryan Fitzpatrick was in his first two years.

Never said or implied it would. I simply stated the play of Fitz in his first 5 seasons wouldn't ha e been tolerated around here, he would've been considered a failure for his career

Just now, Bronx Jet01 said:

I simply stated the play of Fitz in his first 5 seasons wouldn't ha e been tolerated around here, he would've been considered a failure for his career

He is still considered a failure by a goodly portion here, even after year.

BASED on Geno's past performance and transgressions the Jets should be done with Geno. It's that simple. Despite all that fluff sh*t you hear in some articles, Geno will be relieved of his spot on the team when the Jets resign Fitz. There is an outside possibility that the Jets choose to carry 4 QB's, but that is a total extreme when they can't figure out if Bryce Petty is ready to take over the 2nd string duties. Doubtful.

The use of these video clips is absolutely a joke. Like I've said before you can make a highlight film of any player to have played. I feel like I should go make a Tebow film because it would look like he was a hall of famer. Seriously guys everybody needs to see what geno is for what he really is. A scrub quarterback. If his highlight video would be 4 minutes long then I'd say his mistakes video would span over a dozen or so hours. 

Not saying he shouldn't compete but if Fitz is signed he should be the one getting the boot. If Fitz doesn't sign then I'd say a competition is in order. If geno wins I'm almost certain he wouldn't hold the position long. 

Shifting an offensive line is not rocket science. And pointing at the middle linebacker isn't an accomplishment. Not running the wrong way, taking horrendous sacks, and throwing awful picks while not being a giant douche-pirate would be a great start for Geno Smith..... preferably taken in Cleveland or Kansas City.

On 5/23/2016 at 4:58 PM, jett said:

The use of these video clips is absolutely a joke. Like I've said before you can make a highlight film of any player to have played. I feel like I should go make a Tebow film because it would look like he was a hall of famer. Seriously guys everybody needs to see what geno is for what he really is. A scrub quarterback. If his highlight video would be 4 minutes long then I'd say his mistakes video would span over a dozen or so hours. 

Not saying he shouldn't compete but if Fitz is signed he should be the one getting the boot. If Fitz doesn't sign then I'd say a competition is in order. If geno wins I'm almost certain he wouldn't hold the position long. 

They're not "highlights". They're the passes he took in those games. 

Go make some Tebow Gifs. 

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

They're not "highlights". They're the passes he took in those games. 

Go make some Tebow Gifs. 

I really do think you must be related to geno smith. I've never seen anyone so enamored with a player than you. 

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Last year was an illusion.

An illusion average QB, eh?

Fitz is not better than Geno.

What on earth are you basing that on through this moment?  

I can appreciate a "Geno is better long term" concept foolish though I think that idea is, but to say Geno is better thru right now?  Lol, no.

He is one of the biggest frauds at QB ever.

Not Ryan Leaf.  Not Jamarcus Russel.  Not Browning Nagle.

Ryan Fitzpatrick, biggest fraud ever.

Got it. 

This is starting to be eerily reminiscent of the Pennington and Sanchez tenures. Where the few proponents that exist seem to have to work awfully hard to convince everyone that a guy is good. If you have to use this many words and gifs and sh*t to convince the masses that a guy might not suck, he usually does.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This is starting to be eerily reminiscent of the Pennington and Sanchez tenures. Where the few proponents that exist seem to have to work awfully hard to convince everyone that a guy is good. If you have to use this many words and gifs and sh*t to convince the masses that a guy might not suck, he usually does.

At least in those cases you could kind of understand why people worked so hard to make it true. Pennington had some good runs, got us to the playoffs several years, and could be decent until he got injured or made that really dumb mistake. Like the guy was so close to being a legit franchise QB but just couldn't get to the top of the hill. Sanchez similarly QB'd the team into two AFCCGs (regardless of what one thinks of his performance, he was the warm body occupying the seat) and it's easy to see why people would want to stand behind the players who got us so close to the big game. 

Geno I don't get. He doesn't have the success with this team to earn the love some people have for him. His best performances have been at the end of seasons after we're eliminated from playoff contention (but we've never seen that kind of performance before elimination). Any criticism about that aside, a few great games in December just don't compare to running to two AFCCGs or the repeat playoff appearances of Pennington. It only makes sense to me if you're desperate for something. Desperate for that franchise QB (but why not have that same optimism and support for Petty or Hackenburg?), desperate to be right about advocating for Geno before he was drafted, or desperate to be right in supporting his drafting here. 

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Last year was an illusion. Fitz is not better than Geno. He is one of the biggest frauds at QB ever.

That biggest fraud ever is gonna be NY Jets 2016 starting QB

Who do you think gets cut to make room for him? (Not gonna be Hack obviously)

30 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

At least in those cases you could kind of understand why people worked so hard to make it true. Pennington had some good runs, got us to the playoffs several years, and could be decent until he got injured or made that really dumb mistake. Like the guy was so close to being a legit franchise QB but just couldn't get to the top of the hill. Sanchez similarly QB'd the team into two AFCCGs (regardless of what one thinks of his performance, he was the warm body occupying the seat) and it's easy to see why people would want to stand behind the players who got us so close to the big game. 

Geno I don't get. He doesn't have the success with this team to earn the love some people have for him. His best performances have been at the end of seasons after we're eliminated from playoff contention (but we've never seen that kind of performance before elimination). Any criticism about that aside, a few great games in December just don't compare to running to two AFCCGs or the repeat playoff appearances of Pennington. It only makes sense to me if you're desperate for something. Desperate for that franchise QB (but why not have that same optimism and support for Petty or Hackenburg?), desperate to be right about advocating for Geno before he was drafted, or desperate to be right in supporting his drafting here. 

The fascination with Geno is that Fitz sucks n we have no other option at QB. Besides, when was the last time Geno had two decent WRs? Last 6 games of 2014 and one game against the Raiders in 2015. Feel free to judge him on level grounds. Don't judge his rookie season with Holmes, Hills n Nelson as his starters. Year two he had Decker as #1 n Percy as #2 after the benching. He responded well. It's now year 4 and we are banking on further improvements. 

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

An illusion average QB, eh?

What on earth are you basing that on through this moment?  

I can appreciate a "Geno is better long term" concept foolish though I think that idea is, but to say Geno is better thru right now?  Lol, no.

Bleh. Fitz has no upside. His best season coincided with the weakest schedule for the team facing leagues worst Ds and we still didn't make the playoffs. So, bleh. 

Archived