Ryan Fitzpatrick clear he wants to play for the Jets

Jetfan13

So what is this ferocious schedule we are so afraid to face. We play the Ravens, Cleve., the Rams, Miami (2x) the Colts, SF and Rex (2x). The "tougher" teams are they so awesome and unbeatable: KC, Cincy, Seattle, the Steelers, Arizona and NEP (2x). Some of those weaker teams could beat us, none of them are walkovers. And the better teams are they so impossible to beat. It's a regular kind of a schedule and if we're a good team we should be able to be very competitive. It sounds like a lot of fun. 

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

So what is this ferocious schedule we are so afraid to face. We play the Ravens, Cleve., the Rams, Miami (2x) the Colts, SF and Rex (2x). The "tougher" teams are they so awesome and unbeatable: KC, Cincy, Seattle, the Steelers, Arizona and NEP (2x). Some of those weaker teams could beat us, none of them are walkovers. And the better teams are they so impossible to beat. It's a regular kind of a schedule and if we're a good team we should be able to be very competitive. It sounds like a lot of fun. 

+1

Wake up Jet fans... This team is going to compete this season.

53 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Well, at least you put aside the argument for tanking, at least temporarily.

You mention only the negative considerations meaning the positives from last year you question will carry over.  But also last year the Jets had a rookie HC, a new CS including a special teams coach who has already been fired, an OC who had been out of the game for two years, a new starting Qb, no production from TE and I mean none, a year long unsettled contest to field 3rd wideout (the most important bench position on O), an RB rotation that by year's end was down to zero, a fading Ferguson,  anew LG, an unsettled RG situation, and of course zero contribution from the backup Qb.  And then on D you had injuries hamper the #2 cb and by season's end the #1 cb, a declining contribution from D Davis and Coples being cut, and overall the linebackers being slow, Richardson out four games (I know me might be again, but maybe not), Williams a rookie, and while Mauldin and Pryor played well they did so more toward the end of the season.  Then of course special teams were arguably the worst in the league.

I think every one of the factors I mentioned have at least the chance and in most cases probability of improving in the coming season. 

Even the SOS consideration is not as clear cut as all that since our division opponents will face similar schedules, and while I would not bet against NE it is possible they will be as worn down by the schedule that there's a decent chance the Jets could win the division.  Yeah, I said that, and it's true.

I do not refuse to see the schedule looks difficult.  But I don't think particularly now, this far out, and given all the foregoing, that we can just assume the Jets will not make the playoffs.

Unless of course Smith is the starting Qb. 

The thing is you give him credit for things that occurred while dismiss others' poor performances as no reflection upon him. Take our TE and 3rd WR for example. Fitzpatrick locks in on his primary target like a rookie, and Cumberland is rarely going to be the #1 read on any given play. So his numbers will necessarily see a decline. Even with a couple of drops from Smith, it's not like he dropped dozens - or even half of one dozen - passes. Often Fitz just missed him, if he even threw it Smith's way at all, despite Smith being wide open. 

He gets credit for being this cerebral QB but he's just not. Frankly, he's a dumb QB once the ball is snapped, and needs this dumbed down offense yet still makes brainless mistakes: he misses coverages if they're not in his LOS (and often even if they are); he throws into 2x/3x coverage and gets credit for the pass on those rare instances a premiere talent like Marshall can come down with it anyway (and Decker had crazy catches of his own); he doesn't slide; all these things that should disappear with a 10+ year veteran's savvy (particularly a high-IQ veteran) just isn't there. He locks in on receivers (leading to all those batted passes), making it easy for defenses to read his eyes. Hell, I saw entire games get blamed (among the many efforts to absolve Fitzpatrick) based on the absence of Bilal Powell.

All those players who are departed were let go because the idea is the team is better on balance without them. Even Snacks, because of who else would have to go had we matched/exceeded the Giants' offer. Long term, I agree with those moves. It remains to be seen, though, whether those moves will have an instant positive impact in 2016. Frankly I think we're more likely to appear as though we fielded a better defense last year. One reason is the Jets may be isolating David Harris in more space - with 4 guys up front as a base defense, now that Sheldon at OLB is a thing of the past, according to Bowles - whether this will be of benefit. Particularly when we're not likely to repeat playing so many loser/depleted offenses. And as much as I may have agreed after certain individual plays, we did not have the worst special teams in the league; there's room to go down, unfortunately.

as far as SOS (the post was getting long)...

44 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The thing is you give him credit for things that occurred while dismiss others' poor performances as no reflection upon him. Take our TE and 3rd WR for example. Fitzpatrick locks in on his primary target like a rookie, and Cumberland is rarely going to be the #1 read on any given play. So his numbers will necessarily see a decline. Even with a couple of drops from Smith, it's not like he dropped dozens - or even half of one dozen - passes. Often Fitz just missed him, if he even threw it Smith's way at all, despite Smith being wide open. 

He gets credit for being this cerebral QB but he's just not. Frankly, he's a dumb QB once the ball is snapped, and needs this dumbed down offense yet still makes brainless mistakes: he misses coverages if they're not in his LOS (and often even if they are); he throws into 2x/3x coverage and gets credit for the pass on those rare instances a premiere talent like Marshall can come down with it anyway (and Decker had crazy catches of his own); he doesn't slide; all these things that should disappear with a 10+ year veteran's savvy (particularly a high-IQ veteran) just isn't there. He locks in on receivers (leading to all those batted passes), making it easy for defenses to read his eyes. Hell, I saw entire games get blamed (among the many efforts to absolve Fitzpatrick) based on the absence of Bilal Powell.

All those players who are departed were let go because the idea is the team is better on balance without them. Even Snacks, because of who else would have to go had we matched/exceeded the Giants' offer. Long term, I agree with those moves. It remains to be seen, though, whether those moves will have an instant positive impact in 2016. Frankly I think we're more likely to appear as though we fielded a better defense last year. One reason is the Jets may be isolating David Harris in more space - with 4 guys up front as a base defense, now that Sheldon at OLB is a thing of the past, according to Bowles - whether this will be of benefit. Particularly when we're not likely to repeat playing so many loser/depleted offenses. And as much as I may have agreed after certain individual plays, we did not have the worst special teams in the league; there's room to go down, unfortunately.

as far as SOS (the post was getting long)...

Most of my points you did not really address, and those comments were in respect of an overall assessment of the team rather than just Fitzpatrick.  Before I get to the comments in your first paragraph I strongly disagree that the D will be worse than last year.  The only departure that may hurt is Henderson, but imo they will compensate for his absence.  Meanwhile all the other changes will likely lead to improvements.  I am especially betting that Mauldin will add to overall better play by the linebackers, and the rookies will help that corps as well. 

And special teams HAVE to be better.

So, back to your first paragraph:  I cant believe in effect you are defending Jeff Cumberland.  While your boy G Smith was Qb in 13 and 14, yeah Cumberland had his best year in 13.  But he was already declining in 14.  Yards per game and per catch were down significantly (398 to 247 and 15.3 to 10.7).  Before Fitzpatrick even got there, so you can't blame that decline on him (or for those stats on Gailey, either).  I mean 247 yds a season from your starting TE is not a big number.  And oh yeah that was on MORE targets than in 13, which went up from 40 to 47.  Now I could of course blame Smith for that decline, but frankly for this one I blame Cumberland.  He signed that new contract and proceeded to have a sh*tty year.  BEFORE Fitzpatrick joined the team.  In 15 he sure was not targeted that much (although his ypc went back up over 15), but who can blame the Jets for not looking his way that much, based on 14?  Yeah, we'll see how he does with the Chargers, but I doubt we'll be impressed.

As for 3rd wideout, I should not be surprised you in effect blame Fitzpatrick for the problems there, but you are being silly. D Smith was hurt and didn't practice a lot and then dropped some key passes, and then of course went out with a torn acl.  I guess you blame the injury on Fitzpatrick, too.

As for the others the CS clearly had no faith in Kerley, and it is ridiculous to blame that on Fitzpatrick.  Of the rest I am hopeful Thompkins can fill this job, or maybe a returning and healthy D Smith, but am not that impressed with Enunwa.  The point is that for 15 until Thompkins began showing some promise there and with D Smith hurt, Fitzpatrick had very little to work with at 3rd wideout.

You are entitled to your dislike of Fitzpatrick, and of course I have never even implied I think he's any near a great Qb.  But considering the alternatives what I consider your unreasonable take on him casts you in with the Smith Fans even if you profess to not be a Smith Fan yourself.  But you know the sayings about ducks, right?

On May 23, 2016 at 4:40 PM, Jetfan13 said:

Free-agent quarterback  Ryan FitzPatrick, in his first public comment since the end of the season, said Monday that he wants to return to the NY Jets,  Rich Cimin of New York ESPN reports

" I would like to Be back"  Fitzpatrick told two reporters at Willie Colons charity golf outing at 

Hudson national golf.

Fitzpatrick who is engaged in a 3 month contract stalemate,  dispel rumors that he may retire  if he doesn't receive the money he covets.

" I am playing," he said, " I am playing football next season"

I am so tired of Ran 

Fitzpatrick..........

@Big Blocker

SOS:

Strict interpretation of the SOS formula is just a pet peeve of mine. It's ok as general a starting point, and is broadly/usually a good gauge, but it's not the end-all. A team playing (year-end records of) a single 14-2 opponent and a pair of 6-10 teams is deemed to have a harder three-game stretch than one playing a pair of 11-win teams and a 2-win team. Obviously the opposite is true. Over a season as short as the NFL's 16-game schedule, you can't really mush everyone's W/L record into one cumulative opponent for comparison's sake and pretend it's scientific analysis. We only play the opponent we play each week, not 1/16 of each opponent each week, 16x.

Also, looking at year-end SOS (like comparing the Jets to the Panthers) is skewed because the Jets only won 10 games and the Panthers 15. Carolina caused 5 more cumulative opponent losses than the Jets, so it's somewhat circular logic. Likewise, looked at the other way, if another team had 1 game weaker same SOS win% as the Jets but finished with a 4-12 record, it makes it appear as though the Jets' schedule was harder even though we influenced 6 more opponent losses than the 4-win team. So that part is just stupid anyway, unless one removes that team's matchups from the equation (and only look at the "other 15" games each opponent played, or "other 14" games if a divisional opponent).

Lastly, SOS makes no accommodations or acknowledgements for opponents that suffered from disproportionate injuries in our individual matchup. Our Washington game is one example of this, since injuries made them a shell of their late-season selves when we faced them. Ditto NE in week 16. When we played Indy, they were missing 3/4 of their secondary, and then V.Davis got concussed during the 2nd Q as well, after which we scored most of our points (our only other points came on a drive that started inside Indy's 10 yard line).

Here's the final (non-Jets) win totals of our 2015 opponents:

• 3 - 8** - 6 - 6 - 9** - 11 - 6 - 5 - 6 - 8* - 6 - 6 - 3 - 4 - 11** - 6
    • the ** games our opponents had injuries to 3-4 starters from 1 unit, like Indy's secondary (and QB), or at least 5 starters outright). 
    • the * game our opponent was using a street FA at QB (technically did that make him their 4th stringer?)
    • put aside the obvious on its face: we faced only one 10-win team all year, and one of the times we faced them they were missing half a dozen starters.
    • instead of cumulative win % I focus on the # of losing and/or significantly-injured teams we played: 15 out of 16.

The 15 of 16 is what made this schedule so ridiculously easy, on almost an unprecedented scale, more than the opponents' cumulative win percentage. Sure, a 6-win team is better than a 5-win team, but the other reality is that neither is good.

2 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

Most of my points you did not really address, and those comments were in respect of an overall assessment of the team rather than just Fitzpatrick.  Before I get to the comments in your first paragraph I strongly disagree that the D will be worse than last year.  The only departure that may hurt is Henderson, but imo they will compensate for his absence.  Meanwhile all the other changes will likely lead to improvements.  I am especially betting that Mauldin will add to overall better play by the linebackers, and the rookies will help that corps as well. 

And special teams HAVE to be better.

So, back to your first paragraph:  I cant believe in effect you are defending Jeff Cumberland.  While your boy G Smith was Qb in 13 and 14, yeah Cumberland had his best year in 13.  But he was already declining in 14.  Yards per game and per catch were down significantly (398 to 247 and 15.3 to 10.7).  Before Fitzpatrick even got there, so you can't blame that decline on him (or for those stats on Gailey, either).  I mean 247 yds a season from your starting TE is not a big number.  And oh yeah that was on MORE targets than in 13, which went up from 40 to 47.  Now I could of course blame Smith for that decline, but frankly for this one I blame Cumberland.  He signed that new contract and proceeded to have a sh*tty year.  BEFORE Fitzpatrick joined the team.  In 15 he sure was not targeted that much (although his ypc went back up over 15), but who can blame the Jets for not looking his way that much, based on 14?  Yeah, we'll see how he does with the Chargers, but I doubt we'll be impressed.

As for 3rd wideout, I should not be surprised you in effect blame Fitzpatrick for the problems there, but you are being silly. D Smith was hurt and didn't practice a lot and then dropped some key passes, and then of course went out with a torn acl.  I guess you blame the injury on Fitzpatrick, too.

As for the others the CS clearly had no faith in Kerley, and it is ridiculous to blame that on Fitzpatrick.  Of the rest I am hopeful Thompkins can fill this job, or maybe a returning and healthy D Smith, but am not that impressed with Enunwa.  The point is that for 15 until Thompkins began showing some promise there and with D Smith hurt, Fitzpatrick had very little to work with at 3rd wideout.

You are entitled to your dislike of Fitzpatrick, and of course I have never even implied I think he's any near a great Qb.  But considering the alternatives what I consider your unreasonable take on him casts you in with the Smith Fans even if you profess to not be a Smith Fan yourself.  But you know the sayings about ducks, right?

I didn't say the defense will be worse. I'm saying there is no guarantee it will be better, and that there is a good chance they could be better but still appear worse on paper, by virtue of the more formidable opponents they'll face.

Smith did not drop a lot of passes. This is another notion that gets overblown, where the myth is greater than reality. He was also wide open deeper on some key plays, where Fitzpatrick went with a shorter pass, either into traffic, in front of the 1st down marker, or both. And I'm not talking about plays where Fitz rolled out to his right and Smith was open deep on the other side of the field. I mean right in Fitz's line of sight. Whether you are impressed with one player or another, the reality is, other than the slow maturation

As far as being a fan of the player(s), I'm not a fan of either, unless either one of them becomes a really good NFL QB. If Fitz comes back and miraculously becomes such a player, I'll be a fan of his. But for right now, he's not a good QB, not a smart QB, is more expensive than he's worth, and so far he's not a NY Jet (though I think he will be). Don't confuse my desire for him to do well with my criticism when he doesn't. I did the same with Sanchez. ;)  

I agree with you in general Sperm this years schedule will be more difficult ... Seems like your digging a little too deeply into the math about it though ... NFL is fluid ... & every week there will be differences in who we play & how we play ... Vs. what we thought would happen a year ago , a month ago, a week ago ... Those things will be what they will ... Anyway, JMO

image.png

There's never been a Quarterback less deserving of this much air time, than Ryan Fitzpatrick; career backup, owner of a 5-32 record against .500 clubs

It's sick. You're all sick.

Get help. Or don't. But shut up about him and his "who gives a Fck" 2016 status.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

There's never been a Quarterback less deserving of this much air time, than Ryan Fitzpatrick; career backup, owner of a 5-32 record against .500 clubs

Get help. Or don't. But shut up about him and his "who gives a Fck" 2016 status.

One exception.  If you do consider him a quarterback.  Tebow.

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

So do you think Fitz should start this year?

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I didn't say the defense will be worse. I'm saying there is no guarantee it will be better, and that there is a good chance they could be better but still appear worse on paper, by virtue of the more formidable opponents they'll face.

Smith did not drop a lot of passes. This is another notion that gets overblown, where the myth is greater than reality. He was also wide open deeper on some key plays, where Fitzpatrick went with a shorter pass, either into traffic, in front of the 1st down marker, or both. And I'm not talking about plays where Fitz rolled out to his right and Smith was open deep on the other side of the field. I mean right in Fitz's line of sight. Whether you are impressed with one player or another, the reality is, other than the slow maturation

As far as being a fan of the player(s), I'm not a fan of either, unless either one of them becomes a really good NFL QB. If Fitz comes back and miraculously becomes such a player, I'll be a fan of his. But for right now, he's not a good QB, not a smart QB, is more expensive than he's worth, and so far he's not a NY Jet (though I think he will be). Don't confuse my desire for him to do well with my criticism when he doesn't. I did the same with Sanchez. ;)  

No, I agree you did not say the D will be worse.  You said "Frankly I think we're more likely to appear as though we fielded a better defense last year."  That is different than saying there is no guarantee it will be better.  But I see you are saying appear from the nature of the opponents. 

But that was my point - despite the apparent difficulty of the SOS for 16, I do think the various factors I mentioned will mean the Jets can overcome the increased difficulty, and that it would be silly to think of tanking this season.  And I still reiterate that the FO is not going to tank the season even if we all agreed they should.

The bottom line about Devin SMith was he was not a significant factor last season.  He did not take over the #3 wideout spot on the depth chart.  I don't think that was Fitzpatrick's point.  My point is I expect that spot will be more settled this year, and that should help the Jets O.

We'll just have to disagree about what Fitz is worth.

On May 24, 2016 at 0:40 PM, Big Blocker said:

What Fitz did in the early part of his career is irrelevant.  And there is no good reason to think Smith will succeed. 

Translation:

Fitz sucking his first 10 years = irrelevant

Geno sucking his second year = relevant

Translation:

Fitz sucking his first 10 years is relevant. His body of work over that period of time clearly defines him as a below average NFL QB.

Last year he was like the blind squirrel who finally found that elusive acorn.

Fitz is ordinary.  He is "that guy." Last year he became something of an X factor.  His production exceeded expectations---up until the point when everything was on the table and he came "that guy" again.  I cannot help but feel that he is "that guy."  Last year was an aberration.  If we need him to fail sooner to miss the playoffs this year he will fail sooner.  He is what he is.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 4:12 PM, jetrider said:

Translation:

There is no equivalence at any point in Fitzpatrick's career to that colossal level of suckitude that is G Smith.

Archived