Jets Offer to Fitz at $11 million?

JetNation

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Yes. Would be ugly.  

But my biggest problem with Fitz is he requires long sustained drives to score. 

That's very hard to do consistently in the NFL  

His inability to hit the big play Is what worries me the most. 

On the bright side, even if Fitz does end up back here, I'm betting Forte will help a ton with the big strike ability.  Even if that big strike comes from a 5yd pass.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I saw nothing about this 110% clause for 2016. How's about some verification. 

How's about they talked about it on Jet Nation.  Once again.  Think they would know.  

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

First, this is patently false; you merely think everyone has the same opinion you do because you pay attention and give more credence to those who agree with you and do the opposite to those who don't, as usual. This is hardly the first time you've done this, no matter how many times your "obvious" moves were proven to be wrong, if not disastrous. Next, there are a higher proportion of people at JN (than off it or in the media) who are more likely to think/care long term instead of childish instant gratification. Fitzpatrick will not make us a true contender this year and, at this money, he will then necessarily rob the team of $11M in usable cap space in 2017. He is not the future, and he is not good enough to warrant pissing away more future for the present.

Then next year (or more likely, as early as the latter part of this season) we can have this lovely discussion about which players we "need" to cut in Feb/March 2017 because we won't have enough cap room to sign this or that younger and more desirable FA in March. Meanwhile without signings like an absurd 8-figure season for Fitzpatrick, and a 1 yr extension (tag) for Mo at $16M, no such sacrifice would have been needed. Every GM who lets a high-priced player go to FA is not an imbecile. Between them we're talking about some $27M for those 2 players alone, and only a simultaneous meltdown among a half dozen formidable Jets opponents this year, as well as among the AFC's better teams at large, and no up-and-comers nor bounce-back teams getting better, will make it seem worthwhile in hindsight.

Renting Fitzpatrick for $11M+ for this upcoming season is a fool's errand. It's only compounded by doing the same for Mo at $16M (if he is to become a FA next year, which is where it appears we're headed). A year later neither looks to be on the team (albeit for different reasons) and, when combined with the addition of "last missing piece" type of FA acquisitions this year, like Jenkins, we'll have robbed some $30M and a minimum of 2 draft picks from the 2017 season (not counting Shell, which was fine with me if Maccagnan likes him that much). 

No, what your saying is false. I listen to limited sports shows One being NFL Network. Every single analyst on that network says this Jets need to work this out and get Fitz Signed. Every person at work I talk to about sports says the same thing and not one of them says the Jets should move on from Fitz NOT ONE ! So basically you have no freaking Idea of my interactions with people or the shows that I watch yet you can make this distinction that I'm lying. Even on Mike and Mike they bring this up a few times a week and every one they speak too says get Fitz Signed. Interviews with the players on the team and the GM say we need to get this done . You know most of this yet you still call me a liar .

I stopped reading after this is "patently False" and that "I think everyone has the same opinion I do," basically after the first paragraph because that's a stupid statement and it insults my intelligence. Do me a favor in the future don't pretend to think you know how I think or with whom I interact with. You need to worry about yourself and your opinion about the situation and try to make your point without insulting people.

My original opinion on the situation whether it be right or wrong was that Fitz will re-sign in the neighborhood of 10-12 million if you disagree with that, fine. If I'm wrong about Fitz fine lets leave it at that.

My biggest argument has been with people on these boards basically saying dumb things like Fitz sucks and making up bullsh*t to prove their point. Once again no one outside these boards thinks Fitz sucks not one person I have interacted with says that ... But yeah go ahead and call me a liar again and keep thinking that everything you say like stupid statements that Fitz will be "robbing us" then think about whose making the childish statements.

25 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

How's about they talked about it on Jet Nation.  Once again.  Think they would know.  

Not good enough. Why don't you just say you don't like the player and don't want to give him any kind of increase. 

Fitzpatrick should not get 11 million as a base salary.  The team should give him a base of around 7-8 million

and the other 3 million Fitzpatrick should have to earn through incentives

36 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

On the bright side, even if Fitz does end up back here, I'm betting Forte will help a ton with the big strike ability.  Even if that big strike comes from a 5yd pass.

Mike if anything it will give Fitz even more ability to look off the safety since they will have to respect Forte Powell and Robinson out of the back field it will open up the entire offense and yes it will help the deep ball as well.

Remember Fitz had that really nice 5 game stretch when Powell finally got healthy and showed burst we have never seen from him before. Now with 3 backs that can actually both catch and run and a viable TE who may not be great but is a hell of a lot better than what we had last year I'm very optimistic about this up coming season. Just like I was before Vinny hurt his achillies in 1999.

2 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Mike if anything it will give Fitz even more ability to look off the safety since they will have to respect Forte Powell and Robinson out of the back field it will open up the entire offense and yes it will help the deep ball as well.

Remember Fitz had that really nice 5 game stretch when Powell finally got healthy and showed burst we have never seen from him before. Now with 3 backs that can actually both catch and run and a viable TE who may not be great but is a hell of a lot better than what we had last year I'm very optimistic about this up coming season. Just like I was before Vinny hurt his achillies in 1999.

That's almost my exact argument for Geno.  So we can take advantage of the whole field and the potential of our weapons.

Fitz can look off safeties all he wants, won't matter.  There's no need inside of 20yds.

22 hours ago, AFJF said:

Eh, I get the frustration, but why pull the offer with that much time left?  I hope they get it done before July (which was Decker's prediction the other day), but no harm in letting it sit there until training camp.  Doesn't hurt the Jets of Fitz IMO.

This could certainly be a motivator for Geno or he crumbles like cheap cement.

He's got a few weeks to show the Jets something. If he does......the Jets could pull the Fitz contract offe

35 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

That's almost my exact argument for Geno.  So we can take advantage of the whole field and the potential of our weapons.

Fitz can look off safeties all he wants, won't matter.  There's no need inside of 20yds.

There is no reasonable argument for Geno. He is a cash saver and a 2 million dollar Qb. It's not the way a successful franchise operates. If Mac does it he knows he's putting his head on the chopping block. And there will be airplanes flying over Met Life if it fails. 

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

There is no reasonable argument for Geno. He is a cash saver and a 2 million dollar Qb. It's not the way a successful franchise operates. If Mac does it he knows he's putting his head on the chopping block. And there will be airplanes flying over Met Life if it fails. 

If Woody is fine with mediocrity, Macc n Bowles are safe with Fitz.  Ultimately I guess it comes down to if the paying fans are OK with mediocrity.

Gaily can fix geno. Geno does have a much stronger arm than fitz, but who doesn't ? Smith can stretch the field with smith/Marshall.. Forte and decker and maybe our TE can have success underneath.. Fitz is very limited and was saved by one of the best 1-2 WR combos in the NFl

23 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

If Woody is fine with mediocrity, Macc n Bowles are safe with Fitz.  Ultimately I guess it comes down to if the paying fans are OK with mediocrity.

This seems to be the case with most Jet fans.  Losing gracefully is better than trying to build a championship level team. 

I want to win a Super Bowl.  

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This seems to be the case with most Jet fans.  Losing gracefully is better than trying to build a championship level team. 

So do most of us with common sense and knowledge of the game of football. 

17 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

THANK YOU.

Fitztragic won't win the jets a super bowl. I want a guy who WILL.

Just now, Colgateman said:

THANK YOU.

Fitztragic won't win the jets a super bowl. I want a guy who WILL.

Wait so you dont want to grow a beard and wear a Fitzmagic t-shirt and have a fun season only to be let down when it counts the most. 

23 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Cool, we all want that, now give us the plan that includes not signing Fitzpatrick that gets us closer than signing him does, I'd love to jump on board, just don't see it.

1 minute ago, BowlesMovement said:

Cool, we all want that, now give us the plan that includes not signing Fitzpatrick that gets us closer than signing him does, I'd love to jump on board, just don't see it.

The plan:

Start Geno

Draft Kaaya, Watson, Kelly, Falk or Mayfield in the top 5

Let them start for a year to develop

Win SUper bowl ala Russell wilson style second year

5 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

The plan:

Start Geno

Wait, I have seen you argue Geno Smith is very good several times, now he is bad enough with all the talent that propelled Fitzptrick to 10 wins last year, to get a top 5 pick? Seriously brah? You trollin?

6 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

The plan:

Start Geno

So we go from 10-6 to 0-16. And the next year win the Super Bowl. You can't make this up. These people are serious.?

19 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

The plan:

Start Geno

That's your plan? Win super bowl ala Russell Wilson style. So we tank the year purposely or give up an entire draft with multiple aging players especially on the o-line. I am all for getting a QB if we think he is our guy but teams don't say lets tank the this year so we can get the first pick in the draft, especially before the year even starts!! If that was the case,show me one player who would want to work their ass off and play for a team who wants to intentionally lose.

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Not good enough. Why don't you just say you don't like the player and don't want to give him any kind of increase. 

I don't give a shlt what you believe or don't believe.  It's been reported.  You're the GM who have said Fitz should get 11 mil.  To offset it you want to believe I'm making it up.  Because you're so stubborn you refuse to even think the Jets may have been fair and patient with your boy, when they really shouldn't.  Now good for you, refuse to open your closed mind, it's a good way to stay clueless. 

https://www.sny.tv/video/topic/151165816/728348683/geico-sportsnite-new-york-jets

now grow up and listen 

24 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I don't give a shlt what you believe or don't believe.  It's been reported.  You're the GM who have said Fitz should get 11 mil.  To offset it you want to believe I'm making it up.  Because you're so stubborn you refuse to even think the Jets may have been fair and patient with your boy, when they really shouldn't.  Now good for you, refuse to open your closed mind, it's a good way to stay clueless. 

https://www.sny.tv/video/topic/151165816/728348683/geico-sportsnite-new-york-jets

now grow up and listen 

OK, you came up with a source. Saying "it's been reported" means nothing. Or its been discussed on the forum.  I watched the clip and I think that was Garafolo. I don't discount what he said but I have looked everywhere and it's not mentioned on any site including the key contract sites. He said the Jets had a one year tender at 110% of his salary that expired around May 10. You can believe what you want to believe. Just one more thing. Stop living up to your name,.

51 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Wait, I have seen you argue Geno Smith is very good several times, now he is bad enough with all the talent that propelled Fitzptrick to 10 wins last year, to get a top 5 pick? Seriously brah? You trollin?

I have never thought geno was good. I think he is a better way to get a franchise quarterback though. 

41 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Ok, so who is the QB that will win us a super bowl? Geno? I agree it will probably not be Fitz. So who do you have in mind?

Maybe Kaaya or Deshaun Watson, or Mayfield or Kelly or Falk. 

51 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

So we go from 10-6 to 0-16. And the next year win the Super Bowl. You can't make this up. These people are serious.?

Never said 0-16, 4-12 should be enough to do it. You act as if teams haven't been terrible then won the super bowl the next year

31 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

That's your plan? Win super bowl ala Russell Wilson style. So we tank the year purposely or give up an entire draft with multiple aging players especially on the o-line. I am all for getting a QB if we think he is our guy but teams don't say lets tank the this year so we can get the first pick in the draft, especially before the year even starts!! If that was the case,show me one player who would want to work their ass off and play for a team who wants to intentionally lose.

Lions tank= Matt stafford

Colts tank= Andrew Luck

Panthers tank= Cam Newton

Titans tank= Marcus Mariota

Jaguars tank= Blake Bortles

Buccaneers tank= Jameis Winston

tanking is worth it, all these teams got franchise QB's from top 5 picks, I want one too. We all want one. Why not go with what gives us that best option?

57 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

We been tanking for a long time.........

8c59746776c8f8aa92ba4de31db09ffa.jpg

36 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

I have never thought geno was good. I think he is a better way to get a franchise quarterback though. 

Never said 0-16, 4-12 should be enough to do it. You act as if teams haven't been terrible then won the super bowl the next year

Colts tank= Andrew Luck

tanking is worth it, all these teams got franchise QB's from top 5 picks, I want one too. We all want one. Why not go with what gives us that best option?

First off which one has one a super bowl? The Colts tanked for Luck later in the season, they didn't start the year off saying we are just going to give up. Your logic just dosent apply, I can see a team tanking late in the season but to me in professional sports that's a bad mind set and it will have an impact on how the players view their leaders. 

39 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

Colts tank= Andrew Luck

Look I personally don't want to tank 2016. Esp to get an unproven rookie Qb. We just drafted one anyways. Let's win in '16 in spite of ourselves. I'm watching games on Sundays and probably going to a few and I want to be entertained. There is no guaranteed 100% plan to win a Super Bowl. A lot of the time unexpected teams end up winning it. If we are competitive and good and make the playoffs we have as good a chance as anyone. And btw none of those teams you claim tanked (and I don't think they did) won a SB. A team with a 6th round draft pick as starting Qb won four of them. 

Archived