CB Juston Burris ~ ~ ~

kelly

• 4 months later...

Jets coach Todd Bowles said cornerback Darrelle Revis (hamstring) probably will be a game-time decision for Sunday at the Steelers. 

If Revis can't play, the Jets would have Marcus Williams start opposite Buster Skrine in the base defense. And because Skrine plays slot corner in the Jets' nickel package, the outside corner spot in that grouping would be filled by Juston Burris.

Burris, whom the Jets drafted in Round 4 this year, acquitted himself fairly well in Sunday's loss to Seattle, after Revis got hurt. Bowles, after reviewing game film, said Burris handled himself solidly. Burris played exclusively on special teams in the Jets' first two games. He got five defensive snaps in Kansas City. Against Seattle, Burris played 18 defensive snaps, as a result of the Revis injury.He is a physical, press coverage defender who is exclusively an outside corner, and not a guy who can play in the slot. But that's OK for the role he would have Sunday, if Revis doesn't play. 

"I didn't make any game-changing plays," Burris told NJ Advance Media about how he played against Seattle. "That's my whole motto, is go out there and affect the game. But I played my role. I did what I had to do."I'm very comfortable [playing outside corner]. Ever since college [at North Carolina State], I've been an outside corner. Haven't played too much in the slot. I've been playing this position for a little while. I feel good. I feel confident in my ability to play on this level. I'm preparing like I'm the No. 1 corner." 

Burris said he has progressed, since arriving with the Jets, at harnessing his physicality. A cornerback can't grab as much in the NFL as he can in college. Burris learned that quickly during spring and training camp practices. "I think I got a lot better with that, just being able to use my feet [to get in position], more than being grabby at the top of the route," he said. "It was just a progression. I can still use my physicality. That's one thing I didn't need to forget. I had to kind of put two and two together — and be able to not hold, but also be able to use my physicality at the same time." 

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/10/is_jets_juston_burris_ready_if_darrelle_revis_cant.html#incart_river_index

• 8 months later...

Juston Burris might be entering his second season in the NFL, but he is ready to become a starting cornerback.A 2016 fourth-round pick out of North Carolina State, Burris has his goals set for 2017. He plans on competing for a starting spot in the New York secondary.

Last season, Burris was held back as the team wanted to work on his fundamentals. He finished the season with 16 tackles, one interception and five pass breakups.

MbBGv4w7jIa9Vd7y.jpg

? 7pm tonight is @JdotBurris32 tshirt launch time! ?

• Burris is now hoping the coaches have the confidence this season to put him in the starting lineup. Earlier in the offseason defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers admitted that Burris should have played more last season.

“We think he has tremendous upside and he’s competitive,” Rodgers said, according to NJ.com. “His tools fit what we try to do on defense.”

>     http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2017/06/26/jets-cb-juston-burris-this-is-my-job-to-take/

After getting his feet wet as an NFL rookie, Jets CB Juston Burrisicon-article-link.gif is ready to jump into the deep end in Year 2.

“I want to come in here and compete for a starting spot,” he said before the team’s mandatory minicamp reached its conclusion. “Last year, they gave me that opportunity. But I didn’t completely do what I needed to do to do that. So this year, I’m coming in with the mindset that it’s my job to take.”

Burris, a fourth-round pick from NC State, appeared in all 16 games last season and ranked third on the team with six specials teams tackles. Making his first NFL start against Miami in Week 15, he recorded the first interception of his career. With an uptick in playing time in the season’s final quarter, Burris finished with six passes defensed and added seven tackles.“That first half of the season where I wasn’t playing, getting those reps, I was trying my best on special teams because that’s where I was making my mark,” he said. “Just being able to go out there, play and see how these receivers work, how an actual NFL game is, that was very valuable.”

Burris figures to challenge for time across from Morris Claiborneicon-article-link.gif in training camp. He was frequently outside the numbers during the spring when the defense was in sub packages with Buster Skrineicon-article-link.gifmoving inside to the nickel spot. Burris has welcomed the addition of new DB coach Dennard Wilson.“He’s a fiery guy. He’s going to get on you, but at the same time, he’s funny,” he said of Wilson. “He’s going to make light of situations if the time calls for it. But at the same time, he’ll get on you if you mess up, and you need that. He’s a great coach, great leader of our group and you can see the culture change. We have a lot of leaders stepping up. We’re going to have a good group.”

Burris, who says he played last year between 212 and 215 pounds, wants to play below 210 this year in order to match up with some of the league’s quicker receivers.

“Last year, I think they tried to keep me with bigger guys who weren’t as quick just so I can get hands on them and stuff like that. This year, I’m trying to work on my quickness so I can cover smaller, faster guys,” he said. “I think that’s the biggest thing. I want to be able to guard everybody, I don’t want to have one matchup here and one matchup there. I want to be able to guard whoever lines up across from me. My weight is down a little bit, so I’ve been able to run a little better. I’ve had a good offseason.”

>     http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Burris-Hopes-to-Compete-for-Starting-Spot/b30940e6-2453-446f-8a08-3067e1fa6f70

On 5/24/2016 at 11:55 AM, Mainejet said:

He'll be an addition at certain times of defense. For the most part, he'll be a special teams guy. once again, he'll NEVER be a starter. * 0 -16 * here we come....

* *  Fixed  ^ ^ 

6'1" 215 lbs.  Dude is solid and bigger than I realized.  I looked into NFL CBs who play at that size and weight.  Came up with two so far.  Patrick Peterson and Xavier Rhodes (MIN).  Even bigger is Landon Collins (listed at 6'0" 225 lbs).  Give me production like any of those guys and you can have the extra donut in the morning, Juston :)

BTW, the data is a bit old (2015), but this is a pretty cool Tableau page for filtering NFL players by position, height and weight:  https://public.tableau.com/en-us/s/gallery/height-and-weight-nfl

I wish they'd keep it updated.

As the Jets get close to training camp, I am going to examine the roster and give you my top 25 players. Each weekday, we will reveal another person on the list, leading right into camp. I am not including rookies on this list because I do not feel it is possible to fully evaluate them before they play a game.

No. 21 : Juston Burris

Last year’s ranking: Unranked (rookie)

Position: Cornerback

How acquired: Selected in the fourth round of the 2016 Draft

Years left on contract: 3

2017 Salary Cap figure: $677,783

Looking back at 2016 : There are a lot of puzzling things about the 2016 season, but a big one for me is how the Jets used Burris. He played early on, particularly in Week 5 against the Steelers when Darrelle Revis was injured, but then they just stopped using him on defense. He played 32 snaps against Pittsburgh (and I thought he did pretty well), and then did not play more than three snaps in a game for the next seven weeks.

Finally, they used Burris in the last four games of the season. He had one interception and showed some promise. Defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers said this spring one of his biggest regrets from last year was not finding more playing time for Burris. In my opinion, the coaches did not have the guts to cut Revis’ playing time and give it to the rookie like they should have.When Burris played, you could see potential. He has good instincts and made some plays.

Outlook for 2017: I think Burris will be the No. 2 cornerback by the time the season comes. He already has passed Marcus Williams, who was ahead of him last year, on the depth chart. Buster Skrine did not have a strong spring, and is better in the nickel than on the outside. The Jets’ best cornerback lineup to me is Morris Claiborne on one side and Burris on the other with Skrine inside.

This is a big season for Burris, as it is for many of the Jets’ young players. He can establish himself as part of the foundation of the team if he plays well, or the Jets could decide he is not the answer.

>     http://nypost.com/2017/06/30/the-promising-jets-corner-ready-for-more-with-revis-out-of-way/

Really liked how he came on strong at the end of last year. Agree with the last article..don't think they had the stomach to take reps away from Revis no matter how bad he played...there was one series in the last Patriots game..where he was thrown at 3 times in a row backed up to our own end zone. 1st pass was incomplete and the next two were beautiful pass deflections. He sized that wide out up, played him to the sideline and made a beautiful play on the ball. Great awareness showed on that drive. Really like Burris. Ever since his rookie camp. 

Archived