South Florida Dolphins?

AFJF

Not sure if anybody noticed or not, and it's driving me nuts for some reason, but future Super Bowl destinations were announced today, and every single announcement on official NFL channels (TV, twitter, ESPN, Sirius XM NFL radio) have all said the SB will be held in "South Florida" and not one site/source has referred to it as Miami.

They moving?  Changing names?  Somebody say the name Miami is offensive?

What gives?  Anyone hear anything?

I live right 5 min from SunLife stadium and they are in the process of putting a roof on it. The construction project is immense. Trust me they are not putting all of that money into this stadium to move the Fins to another location. THe roof was per the NFL's request I believe.

3 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I live right 5 min from SunLife stadium and they are in the process of putting a roof on it. The construction project is immense. Trust me they are not putting all of that money into this stadium to move the Fins to another location. THe roof was per the NFL's request I believe.

They'd probably get more fans at the games too. It's like watching a game in Africa.

Just now, Shadetree said:

They'd probably get more fans at the games too. It's like watching a game in Africa.

I know right? It's terrible watching a game there. The roof will certainly improve crowd attendance.

3 hours ago, drdetroit said:

Dolphins may or may not be getting a new stadium soon.  If so, it will probably be in another part of South Florida.

Personally I think the Dolphins should have moved to LA when they had the chance.

that would be news to the owner who just poured $500 million into stadium renovations.

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

Not sure if anybody noticed or not, and it's driving me nuts for some reason, but future Super Bowl destinations were announced today, and every single announcement on official NFL channels (TV, twitter, ESPN, Sirius XM NFL radio) have all said the SB will be held in "South Florida" and not one site/source has referred to it as Miami.

They just want the Super Bowl to represent the region. Cowboys Superbowl was called "North Texas" Jets/Giants was called "NY-NJ" Not really a big deal.

3 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

What he said. They're putting in a roof so they can get the super bowl. 

4 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

I saw it not too long ago.  The among of scaffolding on the top is ridiculous.  It looked like half stadium/half spaceship or something.

6 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

I saw it not too long ago.  The among of scaffolding on the top is ridiculous.  It looked like half stadium/half spaceship or something.

Right? I can't help but stare at it when I drive by. It's quite the project.

14 hours ago, AFJF said:

they have done that for years.  for at least the last 2 Super Bowls in Miami.

As a Hurricane season ticket holder I am looking forward to the completion of construction for this season. Last year they took up a lot of space with trucks/equipment and the tail-gating sucked. This year I look forward to a nice experience.

As stated the stadium isn't even in Miami. I really laugh when they are on tv and they show South Beach as if its in the area. HA! The roof was mandatory if the stadium was to EVER get another Super Bowl.

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Wut?  Too hot and humid in miami and that is why they are roofing it?  Is that the reason?  The pussification of football continues to grow.

They're doing it because the NFL wants a roof to prevent rain during the Super Bowl.  However, in South Florida January/February is the dry season and it doesn't rain very often then, so I'm not sure.  For September/October regular season games, maybe they'll use the roof too when it rains to put butts in the seats and have A/C, but they won't be required to.

29 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

They're doing it because the NFL wants a roof to prevent rain during the Super Bowl.  However, in South Florida January/February is the dry season and it doesn't rain very often then, so I'm not sure.  For September/October regular season games, maybe they'll use the roof too when it rains to put butts in the seats and have A/C, but they won't be required to.

That is flat out insane imo, putting on a roof just so the super bowl won't have rain.  I guess I'm a dinosaur as far as football watching habits goes.

19 hours ago, drdetroit said:

Dolphins may or may not be getting a new stadium soon.  If so, it will probably be in another part of South Florida.

Personally I think the Dolphins should have moved to LA when they had the chance.

They are definitely not moving, their owner had to open up his wallet to get some upgrades done to their stadium.  

the partial roof is not for keeping rain out.  they got SBs b/c they made the necessary improvements regarding club seating, etc...  the roof was more about protecting fans during the early part of the season.  I think the new stadium looks awful, it looks too much like a bad european soccer stadium.

8 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Miami_Dolphins_Sun_Life_Stadium_Renovati pretty cool actually

I still hope it collapses in the middle of the night.  My hatred for the Dolphins runs so deep it's actually disturbing .I don't want to see anything good for the Dolphins .

I know that's ****ed up but it's the Dolphins. I don't feel that way about other human beings just those ****ers.

1 hour ago, jetscrazey said:

I don't think it's going to be totally covered from what they were saying down here is it will be made to keep the home team side shaded for a longer period of time then the visiting team when it comes to the 1 o'clock games. I don't know the full details of the roof but I don't think it covers 100% of the stadium. If those are the actual pictures it's kind of a half ass roof.

8 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

I don't think it's going to be totally covered from what they were saying down here is it will be made to keep the home team side shaded for a longer period of time then the visiting team when it comes to the 1 o'clock games. I don't know the full details of the roof but I don't think it covers 100% of the stadium. If those are the actual pictures it's kind of a half ass roof.

interesting.  I don't know why the NFL would be interested in that, unless the Dolphins were having serious trouble selling tickets on that side of the stadium and running at a loss.  As I said, this seems to provide little benefit for the Super Bowl, because it's in the evening and it doesn't rain much in February.  Weird.

21 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

I still hope it collapses in the middle of the night.  My hatred for the Dolphins runs so deep it's actually disturbing .I don't want to see anything good for the Dolphins .

the I know that's ****ed up but it's the Dolphins. I don't feel that way about other human beings just those ****ers.

lol  I hear ya. I'm more concerned with not hating life for the one Jets game I get to take my son to each year. :-)  The roof is nice.

2 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

lol  I hear ya. I'm more concerned with not hating life for the one Jets game I get to take my son to each year. :-)  The roof is nice.

I hear ya, I have a 7 year old so the more comfortable for him the better. 

Archived