Report: Decker Upset With Jets Over Fitzpatrick Situation

JetNation

Eric Decker has flourished in Gailey's system along with Brandon Marshall.

By Glenn Naughton

In an interesting twist in the team’s contract negotiations with free agent quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, multiple sources are reporting that Jets wide receiver Eric Decker is skipping voluntary workouts in protest.

After throwing a team-record 31 touchdowns last season, Fitzpatrick galvanized a previously divided locker room and won over several veterans on the roster.

Fellow receiver Brandon Marshall was also absent from today’s workouts, but no reason has yet been given.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
FP5St4maq48

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, Geno Smith goes and supports Eric Decker at one of his functions while at the same time not taking any questions from the media in order not to take away from Decker's event. Basically being a good teammate. 

In return Eric Decker doesnt show up to OTA's because Ryan Fitzpatrick wants 15 million dollars and the Jets havent given it to him. 

This is totally Geno's fault. 

2 minutes ago, TnT said:

Not jumping the gun until i hear him say it...but if thats the case...i dont like that sh#t one bit.

Costello tweeted it, NFL network's Kim Jones replied "confirmed".

Wow.  

Two ways to look at this.  

First, the good side.  It must mean the team may really not sign Fitz!  It's serious enough to cause this, so hell yeah this is awesome!

Second though, Decker is a fu(kin phag!  I generally liked Decker before this, but this is pretty bad.  Trying to force your GM's hand by staying out.  

Hey Deck, stfu and get to work.  You're paid to catch footballs.  No one gives a $hit what you think.

I am a big Decker fan, but this is disappointing.  

The OTAs are voluntary, and I would be shocked if the protest continues when mandatory camp begins.

I bet Marshall is in the same boat whether he admits it publicly or not.

8 minutes ago, TnT said:

I did see that...but he's a Jet...I'll wait for his response.

Highly unlikely he comes right out and says it IMO.  But IIRC, he's never skipped out on OTA's in the past, and kind of odd that Marshall is absent too.

1 minute ago, bealeb319 said:

If him and Marshall want fitz on the roster so bad let them take the pay cut so we can sign him. Fitz had a great season with us last year but he isn't a long-term answer

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I don't disagree, but they could be looking at the business side of it and viewing it as Mac's job to make it happen.  They get paid to play football, he gets paid to put a roster together and navigate the cap.  Not saying it wouldn't be great if they did, but sometimes these dudes play hardball.  Remember when Revis got a trillion dollars after his holdout and then made a comment that offseason about Tanny not doing enough to bring in free agents?  That was way worse than this IMO.

3 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Who cares? It gives the team a chance to evaluate players that need to be evaluated.

You aren't supposed to react this way !?!?! ... The Geno lovers are all supposed to have their panties in a bunch!!!

For a time there we made Erik Decker the highest paid white receiver of all time and this is how he repays the forward thinking equal opportunity organization that believed in him and treated him as an equal! Sheesh, 'these people'...

go back to the North Pole you f'n polar bears

4 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Who cares? It gives the team a chance to evaluate players that need to be evaluated.

I guess, but what does this do to Geno?  Like this is pretty F-ed up.  The guy doesn't deserve this.

And to make matters worse, I seriously doubt Decker would do this unless there's a strong possibility Fitz is not gonna be signed.  Senseless otherwise.

What happens when/if Geno is the starter?  Decker just says, "my bad"?

This is awesome for team unity.

I don't want to kill Decker here, but this is what happens when you don't have a coherent organizational philosophy that the players can opt to buy into. The Jets are neither contending nor rebuilding, and are doomed to mediocrity if Maccagnan doesn't draw a line in the sand, starting with Fitzpatrick. Publicly begging him to return was stupid, and if it costs them an extra $2-$5 mil to do it, they're as stupid as Tannenbaum was when he bid against himself for Sanchez's extension.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don't want to kill Decker here, but this is what happens when you don't have a coherent organizational philosophy that the players can opt to buy into. The Jets are neither contending nor rebuilding, and are doomed to mediocrity if Maccagnan doesn't draw a line in the sand, starting with Fitzpatrick. Publicly begging him to return was stupid, and if it costs them an extra $2-$5 mil to do it, they're as stupid as Tannenbaum was when he bid against himself for Sanchez's extension.

Doesn't matter-- these guys are highly paid to be professionals. Instead they would rather sabatoge the team because the jets won't pay their boyfriend $15M. If this is true they have no place here, this is santonio holmes level punk attitude

If these guys love Fitzpatrick so much, why don't they all take a pay cut so he can get the contract him and they feel he is worth .  I wonder if Nick Mangold  realizes that there is no guaranteed money left on his contract and that his fat backside can be cut saving the Jets 8 mil with no dead money .

It'll be interesting to see how Macc responds.

Either stay the course and say it's no big deal his WRs and skipping OTAs, or perhaps (and my preference) end things with Fitz tomorrow and tell Decker he's expected for mandatory practice.  End of story.

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

He can go fuuck himself. 

Yes, because he is standing up for a teammate who broke the franchise record for TD's who is clearly being low balled...I would think one of the top #2 receivers in the game is highly qualified to analyze the ability of quarterbacks in this league and it is admirable that he is standing up for justice. Bravo Eric!! ?

Jason Cole–Verified account ‏@JasonColeBR

Source said WR Brandon Marshall's absence from #Jets OTAs does not have to do with Ryan Fitzpatrick. "No story."

7:39 PM - 25 May 2016

And then theres this.

so like I said. when they are asked (and they will be), based off their reaction...then i'll decide whether to say "f#ck that dude" or not.

LOL..this is hilarious....bottom five offense for the better part of four decades, finally gets pieces in place to be at least top half of NFL, fans want everyone traded.  Love it.

Archived