Not counting Namath, my 5 favorite Jets as a kid

Sarge4Tide

5 - Clark Gaines 

4 - Jerome Barkum

3 - Emerson Boozer 

2 - Richard Caster - from my hometown, Mobile,  AL, just always seemed "cool", made some big plays 

1 - Richard Todd - from my hometown,  played at Bama 

I'm 33 so obviously I wasn't around for the franchises golden years with a franchise QB under center, so I can't include the same players on my list that you guys have.

That being said, my list of childhood favorites when I really started getting into the NFL in the early-mid 90s are (in no particular order)....

1. Boomer Esiason - just being the Jets QB was enough for me at that age....after I won my first Pop Warner game we got a kitten from a litter that were being given away after the game, and I named him Boomer for obvious reasons.

2. Mo Lewis - fast, playmaker, played same position I did in Pop Warner (along with Safety). He was just awesome and probably the best player on at least one or two of those pre-Parcells 90s teams.

3. Adrian Murrell - very good runningback, or at least I thought so. Was sad to see him go after we got Martin, but it was for the best IMO.

4. Victor Green - played the other position I did in Pop Warner, loved his physical play....I remember he led the league in Tackles one year (one of the two Kotite teams if I remember correctly) and I still remember my dad jokingly pointing out that someone had to make the tackles after everyone else missed theirs lol

5. Wayne Chrebet - my all time favorite Jet....no need to really elaborate, I loved his play for the same reasons most Jets fans did.

Honorable Mentions - Richie Anderson, Marvin Jones, Aaron Glenn, Ronnie Lott because I had his jets jersey, my brother was/is a Niners fan, I love the safety position, and I remember the first Jets game I attended was at NE since that's where I live, it was the game the following week after the Dolphins/Marino fake spike game, and I just remember late in the game the PA kept saying "tackled made by #42 Ronnie Lott" over and over and over and over and over again. The Jets were losing at that point so NE was running clock, but still was cool to see him continue to bust his ass.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

Best Jets in my lifetime:

1. Parcells

2. Revis

3. Mawae 

4. Brandon Marshall

5. James Hasty

6. Favre 

7. Vinny 

8. Aaron Glenn

Worst Jets:

1. Rex

2. Boomer Esiason

3. Herm

4. Santonio Holmes

5. Brian Schottenheimer

now that you mentioned worse, here is my top 5:

Al Woodall - replaced Namath all those years he was injured, and despite a strong nucleus of our Superbowl squad, we never came close again

Richard Todd - another bad qb that Namath touted, wasted great squads  on him - a wishbone qb in college who didn't run, he was awful, and it wasn't just the mudbowl. Wesley Walker would have been even better with anyone else, he was constantly underthrown...

Santonio Holmes

Plaxico Burress  - OK, he was only a Jet for a few games, but I'm reminded of him when I listed Santonio Holmes

can't find a fifth, because it's hard for not to love Jets.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

1. Parcells

2. Revis

3. Mawae 

4. Brandon Marshall

5. James Hasty

6. Favre 

7. Vinny 

8. Aaron Glenn

Worst Jets:

1. Rex

2. Boomer Esiason

3. Herm

4. Santonio Holmes

5. Brian Schottenheimer

Moving Parcells to two and slipping Peyton into one would have been better.

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

One of the reasons I would never put Parcells anywhere near the top of any such list. 

now that you mentioned worse, here is my top 5:

Al Woodall - replaced Namath all those years he was injured, and despite a strong nucleus of our Superbowl squad, we never came close again

Richard Todd - another bad qb that Namath touted, wasted great squads  on him - a wishbone qb in college who didn't run, he was awful, and it wasn't just the mudbowl. Wesley Walker would have been even better with anyone else, he was constantly underthrown...

Santonio Holmes

Plaxico Burress  - OK, he was only a Jet for a few games, but I'm reminded of him when I listed Santonio Holmes

can't find a fifth, because it's hard for not to love Jets.

When it comes to worst for me the first u 7l(and really only) name that comes to mind is Santonio Holmes. On the field he was great in 2010, but as a leader, teammate, etc I couldn't f'in stand him. I remember sitting on the 50, 2nd row, directly behind the Jets bench for that Monday Night game in Foxboro when the Jets and Pats were both like 9-2 or so....we all remember the ass kicking New England gave us, and well into the 45-3 beat down Santonio is taunting and pointing to his name on the back of his jersey after a lousy 11 yard first down reception. The guy was just unlikeable.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

50 minutes ago, j4jets said:

One of the reasons I would never put Parcells anywhere near the top of any such list. 

Keep your wild-ass conspiracist Parcells slander to yourselves, chemtrail wackos. @Savage69

1 - Freeman McNeil

2 - Wesley Walker

3 -Joe Klecko

4 - Al Toon

5 - Bruce Harper

Sentimental mention - Rich Caster caught 2 TD's  against the Pats at the first Jets game I ever went to in 1975 (I was 6). He became my favorite player immediately. 

3 hours ago, Jethead said:

Didn't ask for best 5. If so, different story. He's definitely on that one.

Not when it came to the playoffs or even regular season.. With the most carries of any Jet back how many Jet records does he hold?? Most yardage?? Well having the most carries kind of guarantee's that what else??

2 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Not when it came to the playoffs or even regular season.. With the most carries of any Jet back how many Jet records does he hold?? Most yardage?? Well having the most carries kind of guarantee's that what else??

Hands down, Freeman is my all-time favorite Jets RB. He was epic on many occasions. Curtis is close second for me. Both were great Jets.

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

1. Parcells

2. Revis

3. Mawae 

4. Brandon Marshall

5. James Hasty

6. Favre 

7. Vinny 

8. Aaron Glenn

Worst Jets:

1. Rex

2. Boomer Esiason

3. Herm

4. Santonio Holmes

5. Brian Schottenheimer

No Curtis Martin or Nick Mangold?!?!?

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Keep your wild-ass conspiracist Parcells slander to yourselves, chemtrail wackos. @Savage69

I'm a chem-trail wacko but I also was a huge fan of Parcells.  Best coach we've ever had.  I just wish we could've kept Belichick.  This franchise always misses out.  We missed Favre by 1 pick.  We had the #1 overall 2 years in a row after Peyton's soph and junior seasons when he didn't leave early.  Leon Hess passed away right when Belichick could've taken over.  We stole Parcells/Belichick from the Pats but then they stole Belichick back from us.  Absolutely unbelievable.  It's the same story over and over again.  

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm a chem-trail wacko but I also was a huge fan of Parcells.  Best coach we've ever had.  I just wish we could've kept Belichick.  This franchise always misses out.  We missed Favre by 1 pick.  We had the #1 overall 2 years in a row after Peyton's soph and junior seasons when he didn't leave early.  Leon Hess passed away right when Belichick could've taken over.  We stole Parcells/Belichick from the Pats but then they stole Belichick back from us.  Absolutely unbelievable.  It's the same story over and over again.  

A little of rewriting history.. Peyton would have came out in 1997 but he didn't hear anything from the Tuna that's why he stayed for his senior year.. He didn't want to come out if the Jets were going to trade down which was what Parcels wanted to do and did.. He said he was going to coach for just 3 years so no way would he draft a QB with the first pick.. Funny thing BB was hired first as the Jets HC Hess should have left it at that..

Archived