NY Jets Injury Updates (Offseason Edition)

JetNation

Jace Amaro

The New York Jets have begun OTAs and there are some players of note aren’t there (Nick Mangold, Eric Decker and Brandon Marshall). The workouts are voluntary so head coach Todd Bowles didn’t seem too concerned and said he knew they wouldn’t be there.

Coach Bowles did give some injury updates on Wednesday. Here is what he had to say…

On when Ryan Clady and Khiry Robinson will be able to practice…
Hopefully sometime in training camp if I’m not mistaken.

On if those two will practice during the offseason…
It’ll be tight. We’ll see how they progress but it’ll be tight.

On when Devin Smith will return to practice…
Same thing. He’ll be wait and see. (It) won’t be in the spring.

On Darrelle Revis…
Yes, he’s still recovering too. So as long as he gets his conditioning in, he’ll be fine.

On whether Revis will return for training camp…
I can’t answer that completely but I hope he will.

On Jace Amaro…
He’s competing for a spot like everybody else. He missed a year. I haven’t seen him play yet. My first year he was out so getting him back healthy, it’ll be interesting to see what he does.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

wEOykWh4JZU

Click here to read the full story...

16 hours ago, JetNation said:

On Jace Amaro…
He’s competing for a spot like everybody else. He missed a year. I haven’t seen him play yet. My first year he was out so getting him back healthy, it’ll be interesting to see what he does.

Kid is skating on thin ice with this HC . I think Amaro is the complete opposite of what this HC is looking for in a TE.

8 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Kid is skating on thin ice with this HC . I think Amaro is the complete opposite of what this HC is looking for in a TE.

That might be true but if this kid has useful talent we need to find a way to use it.  That's what Gailey and this staff is supposed to be known for, tailoring their schemes to fit the players they have NOT the opposite.

31 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

You're paying too much attention to "coach speak" and not enough to reality. Amaro was a 2nd round pick, has a cheap contract and had a fairly decent rookie year. He isn't skating on thin ice, but he does need to play well to earn playing time. This team has zero depth at Tight End so  Amaro shouldn't have too much trouble making the roster and eventually contributing.   

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You're paying too much attention to "coach speak" and not enough to reality. Amaro was a 2nd round pick, has a cheap contract and had a fairly decent rookie year. He isn't skating on thin ice, but he does need to play well to earn playing time. This team has zero depth at Tight End so  Amaro shouldn't have too much trouble making the roster and eventually contributing.   

No beloved, I am not . I see  a defensive minded HC who's a student of the Bill Parcells style of coaching . Amaro is a Pass catching TE who can't block his way out of a paper bag and thus far, has exhibited very suspect hands in his short career  .  You don't draft, sign WRs the caliber the Jets are scouting and throw the ball to a TE . This offense is a throw the Ball down the field type and the TE is used for blocking primarily in short yardage situations and in Max protect situations.

On this team, Amaro is a luxury and he has to stand out huge to make this team. .

Just my opinion.

That is all .

7 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

No beloved, I am not . I see  a defensive minded HC who's a student of the Bill Parcells style of coaching . Amaro is a Pass catching TE who can't block his way out of a paper bag and thus far, has exhibited very suspect hands in his short career  .  You don't draft, sign WRs the caliber the Jets are scouting and throw the ball to a TE . This offense is a throw the Ball down the field type and the TE is used for blocking primarily in short yardage situations and in Max protect situations.

On this team, Amaro is a luxury and he has to stand out huge to make this team. .

Just my opinion.

That is all .

The difference maker will be if he has shown some commitment to improving his blocking.  He's not a traditional TE, but last year Bowles had said that Amaro was intended to be used as the HBack.  For all the love Enunwa got last season, the truth is he was even worse with drops in his second year than Amaro was his rookie year, so if Amaro can get his sh*t together with effort on the blocking, he has the advantage in size and skills to take that spot for himself.

Now don't get me wrong, I can also see him not taking that spot for the reasons you said, but I think that's far from him not making the team at all, considering last year no one outside of Marshall and Decker could catch a freakin' cold.  He could be further down the depth chart if he doesn't step up, but I'm not sure there's enough other talent amongst the WRs/TEs for any of them to deserve any real roster spot over him either.

If Amaro cannot be used by this team/offense they should trade him and get back as much as they can.  He fits many teams.  Look at how Eric Ebron is flopping.  

Given some of the interesting prospects the Jets have for WR's (Peake, Marshall, Anderson), I just don't see the point of trying to push Devin Smith.  He needs another year of physical and skill development.

Archived