NFL: Possible Sheldon Richardson suspension still under review

flgreen

NFL: Possible Sheldon Richardson suspension 'still under review'

Dom Cosentino | NJ Advance Media for NJ.comBy Dom Cosentino | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on May 26, 2016 at 2:56 PM, updated May 26, 2016 at 3:00 PM
blank.gif
blank.gif
blank.gif
blank.gif
3shares

FLORHAM PARK  Sheldon Richardson acknowledged Wednesday that he had spoken to the NFL "here and there" this offseason about his road-race incident from last summer.

Jets OTAs day 2 highlights 5/25/16Highlights from the second day or Jets organized team activities on May 25, 2016. (Video by Dom Cosentino | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)

Richardson, the Jets' defensive end, also said he had no idea whether the NFL would suspend him for it.

"Positive vibes, man, really," Richardson said. "If I get a letter saying I'm suspended, I'm suspended."

Some form of punishment could be coming. On Thursday, a league spokesman told NJ Advance Media that Richardson's case is "still under review."

In January, Richardson pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge charge of resisting arrest. The charge stemmed from an incident last summer in which local police in Richardson's native Missouri alleged he drove his Bentley at speeds as high at 143 miles per hour, and that there was a 12-year old and a loaded gun in the vehicle.

"The media fabricated it a little bit," Richardson said Wednesday. "I read the police report. Some of it was true, some of it wasn't. But it got settled in court. The league will do what they do. There's an investigation process for that. They did most of that this offseason. I'm past it."

MORE: Non-QB observations from Jets OTAs

MORE: Non-QB observations from Jets OTAs

A rundown of what some other guys did.

As part of his plea deal, Richardson was fined $1,050 and sentenced to 100 hours of community service. He also got a two-year bench probation, which means he doesn't have to report to a probation officer.

But the incident happened just two weeks after Richardson was given a four-game suspension by the league for violating its drug policy. Richardson served that suspension at the start of last season.

It's impossible to know one way or the other whether Richardson will be punished again by the NFL, or how much discipline he might receive. League discipline is handed downat the whim of commissioner Roger Goodell, and it's pretty much done whenever the league decides to do it.

Last summer, Richardson's drug-policy suspension wasn't announced until July 2.

"Right now," head coach Todd Bowles said, "we're just preparing for him to be on the field."

14 minutes ago, flgreen said:

January, Richardson pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge charge of resisting arrest. The charge stemmed from an incident last summer in which local police in Richardson's native Missouri alleged he drove his Bentley at speeds as high at 143 miles per hour, and that there was a 12-year old and a loaded gun in the vehicle.

Just based on this , he should be locked up !!!!!

I remember all the sh*t I took on this board when this first happened. I predicted a small fine and low level probation. I also predicted 1 or 2 games max suspension and probably no suspension. guys were screaming at me that he is going to prison and will be suspended for a year. good times

42 minutes ago, Hitman Harris said:

Just fking appeal it until you retire. Simple. Accept NO suspensions, Sheldon. Especially when there are perennials cheaters resisting going on years now. 

Goodell can't do shlt about it bro

took some time off? good to see you back. who I am I kidding? good to see those breasts back

9 minutes ago, ylekram said:

guys were screaming at me that he is going to prison and will be suspended for a year. good times

LOL

It's as if they want it to happen. What about all the folks who wanna cut him and trade Mo. LOLWTF

8 minutes ago, ylekram said:

took some time off? good to see you back. who I am I kidding? good to see those breasts back

Multitasking ;)

Y8XRwRY.gif

2 hours ago, Hitman Harris said:

Just fking appeal it until you retire. Simple. Accept NO suspensions, Sheldon. Especially when there are perennials cheaters resisting going on years now. 

Take it to the Supreme Court !!!

8 hours ago, Hitman Harris said:

Sheldon Richrdson situation is so much different than Tom Brady situation.   Sheldon Richardson was caught breaking the law( resisting arrest , and driving  with minor in back seat going 143 miles per hour .     That clearly falls under a violation of the league personal policy .( where it's been establish the league can suspend you.

Tom Brady situation is slightly different . He wasn't arrested for this crime. There are a lot of speculation that he broke league rules by deflating the footballs.( getting someone to do it)     The NFL has no physical proof he actually deflated those footballs . Why he can Go through all this leagal mumble jumbo - to delay his eventually suspension.

Sheldon Richardson doesn't have a leg to stand on as he was caught breaking the law legally, and isn't going to get very far if he tries to fight it.

sheldon Richardson ( see Aldon Smith) did the crime, and now it's time to pay the price.( one or two game suspension at the most).

4 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

.....he was caught breaking the law legally, and.....

OK... is this some sort of code?  Some sort of Raider fan code?  You got me stumped on this.  

"Caught breaking the law legally"???

12 hours ago, ylekram said:

I remember all the sh*t I took on this board when this first happened. I predicted a small fine and low level probation. I also predicted 1 or 2 games max suspension and probably no suspension. guys were screaming at me that he is going to prison and will be suspended for a year. good times

^^ seems to have a certain insight into such things.  Hmmmm?

5 hours ago, Dcat said:

OK... is this some sort of code?  Some sort of Raider fan code?  You got me stumped on this.  

What I was alluding to is the fact there is no disputing what Sheldon Richardson did( he broke the law) . Under similar circumstances the NFL has suspended players for violating the league personal policy.( NFL usually waits for this situation ( case) to be resolved with the courts, and than they take punishment they see fit.

Sheldon Richardson doesn't have a leg to stand on if he plans to fight his suspension -   as his only recourse is to appeal to the league their decision.    If they rule against his appeal,  that when the public hear  how long he has been suspended for.( it's over)     

Tom Brady situation is a unique situation where the player hasn't done anything wrong  involving the law.    He might have broke league rules, but there isn't a court case admitting his guilt.    WHY IT's going to take longer for him to serve his suspension.( running out of legal maneuvers ).

9 hours ago, Dcat said:

If he was a illegal alien he would be breaking the law illegally but since Sheldon is a US citizen he broke it legally..:)

4 hours ago, Savage69 said:

If he was a illegal alien he would be breaking the law illegally but since Sheldon is a US citizen he broke it legally..:)

awesome.  That should help in the appeal. 

31 minutes ago, no psls said:

With a kid AND a loaded gun ?? ; why don't you just give him MAN OF THE YEAR !!!!!!!!!

I know it's hard for some to get but the gun wasn't illegal.  You can try and make it worse but it's not.  He screwed up but it is what it is, a traffic violation. 

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I know it's hard for some to get but the gun wasn't illegal.  You can try and make it worse but it's not.  He screwed up but it is what it is, a traffic violation. 

In most parts of Missouri it's rare to find a vehicle without a loaded gun in it..;)

16 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

These people all wanna go all crazy about the boogeyman gun... Some states still agree with the 2nd amendment. DEAL WITH IT. 

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 8:33 AM, Dcat said:

He misremembered the legal jargon.  Cut him some slack.  He is right however. Sheldon got 'caught breaking the law legally' and will get 1 or 2 games suspension.  Brady got 'caught cheating the rules legally' and was given a 4 game suspension.  Moral of the story. Its better to break the law legally than cheat the rules legally.

12 minutes ago, Powpow said:

He misremembered the legal jargon.  Cut him some slack.  He is right however. Sheldon got 'caught breaking the law legally' and will get 1 or 2 games suspension.  Brady got 'caught cheating the rules legally' and was given a 4 game suspension.  Moral of the story. Its better to break the law legally than cheat the rules legally.

Brady cheated at football. The offended party was the NFL. That goes to the integrity of the game and is fully enforced by the NFL. 

Richardson committed a misdemeanor which had nothing to do with football and was enforced by the legal system. Any extra punishment the NFL gives is just that...Extra

If you get a speeding ticket does your boss dock your pay? How long is your suspension? Now if you insult a client you're probably fired immediately. Now you see the difference. 

1 minute ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Brady cheated at football. The offended party was the NFL. That goes to the integrity of the game and is fully enforced by the NFL. 

Richardson committed a misdemeanor which had nothing to do with football and was enforced by the legal system. Any extra punishment the NFL gives is just that...Extra

If you get a speeding ticket does your boss dock your pay? How long is your suspension? Now if you insult a client you're probably fired immediately. Now you see the difference. 

But it wasn't just 'speeding'. He put a minor at risk. That's the big issue that throws a wrench into this.  We live in a different world now. 10 or 15 years ago maybe they don't consider the kid element to this.  Goodell loves to make an example of players mistakes.  I just don't see him 'getting away' with any less than a 3-4 game suspension.   

1 hour ago, Powpow said:

But it wasn't just 'speeding'. He put a minor at risk. That's the big issue that throws a wrench into this.  We live in a different world now. 10 or 15 years ago maybe they don't consider the kid element to this.  Goodell loves to make an example of players mistakes.  I just don't see him 'getting away' with any less than a 3-4 game suspension.   

The point was that you cannot compare violating legal statutes(or breaking the law legally for those of you in Oakland) with violating league rules. 

On May 27, 2016 at 4:26 AM, Raideraholic said:

Sheldon Richrdson situation is so much different than Tom Brady situation.   Sheldon Richardson was caught breaking the law( resisting arrest , and driving  with minor in back seat going 143 miles per hour .     That clearly falls under a violation of the league personal policy .( where it's been establish the league can suspend you.

Tom Brady situation is slightly different . He wasn't arrested for this crime. There are a lot of speculation that he broke league rules by deflating the footballs.( getting someone to do it)     The NFL has no physical proof he actually deflated those footballs . Why he can Go through all this leagal mumble jumbo - to delay his eventually suspension.

Sheldon Richardson doesn't have a leg to stand on as he was caught breaking the law legally, and isn't going to get very far if he tries to fight it.

sheldon Richardson ( see Aldon Smith) did the crime, and now it's time to pay the price.( one or two game suspension at the most).

And there is no greater crime in sports than effecting the outcome of a game through cheating.  Putting doubt  fans minds over the level playing field is a bigger crime than a offseason murder.  And the NFL ruled he had the balls deflated.  

Stop already

5 hours ago, Hitman Harris said:

These people all wanna go all crazy about the boogeyman gun... Some states still agree with the 2nd amendment. DEAL WITH IT. 

Live in the liberal NE and it's a different world.  

Speaking of different worlds, how's the Hampur? 

6 hours ago, Hitman Harris said:

in Kennesaw county, Georgia its a law you must possess a firearm. after the law was passed, the county saw a drop in crime by nearly 90%. to this day,kennesaw county has the lowest crime rate per capita in the country. go figure

3 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

The point was that you cannot compare violating legal statutes(or breaking the law legally for those of you in Oakland) with violating league rules. 

We cant but Goodell will because he is after all God-ell.  2 games as you say.  Goodell is supreme dictator, no questions asked and will make an example of Richardson despite this being charged as a misdemeanor.

9 hours ago, ylekram said:

in Kennesaw county, Georgia its a law you must possess a firearm. after the law was passed, the county saw a drop in crime by nearly 90%. to this day,kennesaw county has the lowest crime rate per capita in the country. go figure

I know I am near Kennesaw all of the time. Almost no crime there. People don't get guns shoved in their faces for their wallets or cars there, because there's too great a chance of someone shooting them back. It's pretty great actually. And you never even see the guns. The coyotes just know not to mess around. 

Now get to the wonderful city and get shot in the face by a teenager with an illegal gun that most likely will never even be found. Good times. 

Archived