Report: Jets Offer to Fitz at $12 Million in First Year of 3-Year/$24M Deal

JetNation

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

I didnt say taking snaps with a broken thumb is some silly injury, but if I recall during that injury the Jets played alot of shotgun. You're the one exacerbating the injury, as if he couldnt play. If he couldnt play, he wouldnt have played. 

If it was obvious that Bowles would have rather player ANYONE ELSE, and Fitz was THAT INJURED then Petty would have PLAYED! Petty constitutes "anybody else" 

Woody is indeed a knucklehead! lol. 

When you were negotiating deals, you werent an NFL GM. 

Its your opinion that its a rookie move. Subjective. 

It was dumb to even offer that amount in a contract. Thats the only dumb part here. 

Geno is the only starter, because Fitz ISNT back. Let me say that again. Fitz IS NOT back. 

WHO CARES? 

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ylekram said:

they are not. the story broke stating 12m for year 1 and $6m for year 2 and 3. nothing about guaranteed money. later on that day and the next, all the twitter guys starting adding "12m guaranteed", re-reporting what they heard from the original report. imo, the 12m guaranteed is made up. not that it makes a difference:D

posting and reading forums like these is like one giant extended game of "broken-telephone".

TELEPHONE-GAME.jpg

10 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Guess what? I am.

Most people have the Jets not making the playoffs this year. So why would going with Fitz over Geno help us. Even with Ftiz, people don't think we are making the playoffs.

The only reason the Jets have veterans on offense is because Jets fans cant take a proper rebuild. This is a rebuilding job disguised as a win now team. I've said it from the beginning

who gives a sh*t what most people think? I don't think you know what a propper rebuild is. mac is doing a good job filling glaring holes in free agency. lets see how his drafts work out

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

Yeah, and the fact of the matter? Macc hasnt made a decision to visit Fitz "table". 

time will tell, villain. time will tell. I am willing to bet that the jets sign fitz and not to that contract that was leaked. you taking?

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

I didnt say taking snaps with a broken thumb is some silly injury, but if I recall during that injury the Jets played alot of shotgun. You're the one exacerbating the injury, as if he couldnt play. If he couldnt play, he wouldnt have played. 

If it was obvious that Bowles would have rather player ANYONE ELSE, and Fitz was THAT INJURED then Petty would have PLAYED! Petty constitutes "anybody else" 

Woody is indeed a knucklehead! lol. 

When you were negotiating deals, you werent an NFL GM. 

Its your opinion that its a rookie move. Subjective. 

It was dumb to even offer that amount in a contract. Thats the only dumb part here. 

Geno is the only starter, because Fitz ISNT back. Let me say that again. Fitz IS NOT back. 

I was negotiating $250,000 - $400,000  contracts for surgeons who were being recruited by 3 - 10 other opportunities, the similarities are there. They would always try to stretch it out hoping to get a ridiculous offer they could shop around and use as leverage. I would never make a verbal offer until the doc told me he wanted my client over all others and a  written offer was only extended after a verbal commitment and then expected to be signed after a lawyer looked at it in about 48 hours max.

the only way to give fitz a "fear of loss" is to formally rescind the offer.  selectively leaking only the first year shows you how weak maccs position is.

I understand fitz is not back.  you also understand geno was not named the starter in any meaningful way

5 minutes ago, ylekram said:

time will tell, villain. time will tell. I am willing to bet that the jets sign fitz and not to that contract that was leaked. you taking?

The hell with it. For fun's sake I'll take that. 

I will bet that come week 1 Geno will be the starter, whether they sign Fitz or not. 

If they're offering him the 12 mil guaranteed for the first year and give Fitz an option to get out of the contract for years 2 and 3 that's one thing. Then he gets starters money for 2016 and can be a free agent in 2017. But if he's obligated to the 6 per for the rest of the contract not a good deal for him. I've never heard of this before  telling your Qb he'll be your starter the first season and the backup the rest of the deal. It gives the Jets an insurance policy in case Hack isn't ready or just not that good. So give Fitz a one year deal if you think Hack is your starter next season. I have still seen nothing on guaranteed money on the major websites.

19 hours ago, flgreen said:

I get why he wouldn't sign that.  if the Jets were to win a Super Bowl this season, he would be stuck playing for the next 2 years, at 6 million a year.  Has to be incentives for years 2 and 3 that will get him to at least 12 M if he has a great season.  

No, it is really just a one year contract. It is almost definitely $6 million per year, contract not guaranteed in years 2 or 3 for either skill or injury, and a $6 million signing bonus. $4 million dead money next year when he was cut. I doubt with the Christian drafting, they really have him in their plans outside of this year. I still believe strongly that it is really only Bowles driving this. I think Gailey probably prefers Geno just as he did last year and Mac wants to build towards the future with Hack or potentially Geno, but he is doing what he can within the framework of going with the future guy next year to get Fitz for Bowles this year in a "win now" scenario.

I do not see the Jets budging from the structure, or filling it with incentives. I think there is zero plan to start Fitz after thus year. If they do, they are idiots, but if you have been watching Mac is structuring his contracts around a 3 year draft plan. 

9 minutes ago, Larz said:

I was negotiating $250,000 - $400,000  contracts for surgeons who were being recruited by 3 - 10 other opportunities, the similarities are there. They would always try to stretch it out hoping to get a ridiculous offer they could shop around and use as leverage. I would never make a verbal offer until the doc told me he wanted my client over all others and a  written offer was only extended after a verbal commitment and then expected to be signed after a lawyer looked at it in about 48 hours max.

the only way to give fitz a "fear of loss" is to formally rescind the offer.  selectively leaking only the first year shows you how weak maccs position is.

I understand fitz is not back.  you also understand geno was not named the starter in any meaningful way

The similarities only go as far as the fact that negotiations were taking place. You werent negotiating sports salaries. It wasnt like you were in a different sporting market. You werent negotiating contracts that were multimillion dollar deals. You werent negotiating contracts with similar structures such as what the NFL has. 

You were negotiation contracts for surgeons. I do understand that FItz is not back, however, you dont understand that Geno is the starter for the football team...in a meaningful way. Maybe if Fitz signs that will change. But he hasnt, so dont make Geno's situation sound insignificant based on a scenario that hasnt happened. 

Just now, johnnysd said:

No, it is really just a one year contract. It is almost definitely $6 million per year, contract not guaranteed in years 2 or 3 for either skill or injury, and a $6 million signing bonus. $4 million dead money next year when he was cut. I doubt with the Christian drafting, they really have him in their plans outside of this year. I still believe strongly that it is really only Bowles driving this. I think Gailey probably prefers Geno just as he did last year and Mac wants to build towards the future with Hack or potentially Geno, but he is doing what he can within the framework of going with the future guy next year to get Fitz for Bowles this year in a "win now" scenario.

I do not see the Jets budging from the structure, or filling it with incentives. I think there is zero plan to start Fitz after thus year. If they do, they are idiots, but if you have been watching Mac is structuring his contracts around a 3 year draft plan. 

in no way, shape, or form is it a 1 year contract. its a 3 year deal. period. with this one, it really doesn't matter what the guaranteed money is, either. 12m guaranteed? 18m guaranteed? doesn't matter. if he is on the jets roster all of year 1, its 12m. if he is on the jets roster year 2, its 6m. regardless if he is a back up or starting. fitz has no say in year 2 or 3. only the jets do. the 1st year money is top dollar for fitz, the 2nd and 3rd years shoehorn fitz into backup pay whether he is starting or not. this is a weird contract and I don't see any player out there that would sign this deal

24 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

What does this Redskins Gif have to do with what JoeWilly posted? 

#ExplainingAway

Oh I get it.  It means that if the game is on the line, Fitz should never throw.  Just run around like a mad man.  Hard to argue with that.

So then if Fitz doesn't want to accept a deal structured like this. Which basically uses him as a low cost insurance policy in case Hack isn't ready. Give him a one year deal. If the Jets want to pay him 8 per and he wants 12 then give him 10 with no strings attached for 2017. He might accept it because he probably won't get a better one year offer or a guaranteed starter's job. If he's good he makes a lot more money either here or somewhere else. If not he could lose money. 

Just now, Mike135 said:

Oh I get it.  It means that if the game is on the line, Fitz should never throw.  Just run around like a mad man.  Hard to argue with that.

Maybe, we seen what his throwing will produce in games like the Texans and Buffalo...twice lol. 

The Fitz supporters will never meet in the middle. Kinda like how they laugh at how a rookie/2nd year player Geno Smith had 42 turnovers, but was as quiet as a church mouse when I showed how Fitz during his prime accumulated 51 turnovers in 2 seasons and 74 turnovers in 3 seasons. 

They always find a way to explain that sh*t away! lol. 

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I dont know? Barring injury (Fitz/Geno) im game. State the stakes. If im willing to accept then im game. 

seriously, tho. I don't know. $50 cash paypal? denotation? change the wording in your avatars? you tell me whats fair

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Maybe, we seen what his throwing will produce in games like the Texans and Buffalo...twice lol. 

The Fitz supporters will never meet in the middle. Kinda like how they laugh at how a rookie/2nd year player Geno Smith had 42 turnovers, but was as quiet as a church mouse when I showed how Fitz during his prime accumulated 51 turnovers in 2 seasons and 74 turnovers in 3 seasons. 

They always find a way to explain that sh*t away! lol. 

Whoa!  I missed that.  Nicely done.

Those are some dreadful stats there for Fitzy.  Good to know.

However I don't really need anymore stats or points to know Fitz is nothing more than a quality backup for a few games here and there.  That's already glaringly obvious.

Look if the Jets really feel that they can win or get by this year with Geno then offer Fitz a deal you know he won't accept (so you won't get killed by fans or the press) and go with Geno then. And your cap problems are solved. 

Just now, ylekram said:

I know. how about 20 "who da mans"?

20 it is. Thats a deal. 

To be clear. Geno, barring any injury must be the week 1 starter. And when I say "injury" that also includes Fitz. So, Fitz must be healthy. Also, if Fitz isnt signed, Geno must still be the week 1 starter, meaning that he didnt get beat out by Petty/Hackenberg. 

If Geno is the week 1 starter, I get 20. 

If Fitz is the week 1 starter, you get 20. 

If Fitz isnt signed and Geno is the week 1 starter, I get 20. 

If Fitz isnt signed but Geno still isnt the week 1 starter, you get 20. 

Deal? 

5 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

However I don't really need anymore stats or points to know Fitz is nothing more than a quality backup for a few games here and there.  That's already glaringly obvious.

Yeah, it was in another thread. Someone wrote "Geno, 42 turnovers in 2 years" and dudes had a ball. I go and show how between 2011/2012 Fitz had 51 turnovers and from 2010-2012 he had 74 total turnovers. 

No one said a word. 

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look if the Jets really feel that they can win or get by this year with Geno then offer Fitz a deal you know he won't accept (so you won't get killed by fans or the press) and go with Geno then. And your cap problems are solved. 

And that's exactly what has happened

6 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Lol. Quality backup. Dude is going to be the starter come week one. And who cares what Fitz did for years elsewhere? Fans only care what those players have done for this team and what it can do for the team moving forward. 

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

20 it is. Thats a deal. 

To be clear. Geno, barring any injury must be the week 1 starter. And when I say "injury" that also includes Fitz. So, Fitz must be healthy. Also, if Fitz isnt signed, Geno must still be the week 1 starter, meaning that he didnt get beat out by Petty/Hackenberg. 

If Geno is the week 1 starter, I get 20. 

If Fitz is the week 1 starter, you get 20. 

If Fitz isnt signed and Geno is the week 1 starter, I get 20. 

If Fitz isnt signed but Geno still isnt the week 1 starter, you get 20. 

Deal? 

so basically, for you to win, geno is the day 1 starter barring injury? correct? any other scenario, I win? correct?

5 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

In all honesty, isnt that what the Jets did? They offered Fitz something that they could afford, but the jets are not in a situation where they literally dont have a QB that they can play. They offered Fitz what he was worth to them. If Fitz doesnt agree then the Jets are moving forward with Geno. 

9 minutes ago, ylekram said:

so basically, for you to win, geno is the day 1 starter barring injury? correct? any other scenario, I win? correct?

Yeah. 

I gave you a sweet deal. Fitz technically doesnt even have to be signed for you to win. 

I think Geno is better than FItz...so much so that I'll put 20 on it and you can win without Fitz even being signed. 

I think that if Bowles see's Geno's progression he will play Geno, no matter the QB's and no matter what they're being paid. 

Come week 1, if Geno isnt the starter I'll send you 20. That's my word. 

Archived