Report: Jets Offer to Fitz at $12 Million in First Year of 3-Year/$24M Deal

JetNation

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

$12m for year one = we know you are our starter. I have no doubt Fitz is fine with that payday, as he should be. It is better than competitive for what he brings to the table.

It's the 2nd and 3rd year that are no meeting his expectations. So, as I've been saying all along. It doesn't matter what you pay Fitz this year, our spending is done. Just don't **** up spending in the next 2 years. 

Contract sounds like what it should be, to me.

Well, it does not properly punish him for not making the playoffs last year, which is going to piss a lot of people off

Good for Maccagnan for having the figures "leak" out.  Of course people
are going to overreact to the 12 million in the first year but if properly
structured it's not a big deal.  If it's a three year deal it's probably:

Year 1 - 7 million salary and 5 million bonus (over the contract that's a 1.6 million hit)

Year 2 - 7 million salary

Year 3 - 7 million salary

If I am reading this correctly, $12 Million the first year.  That doesn't mean the offer isnt what was initially reported.  IE. $9 Million Signing bonus, $3 Million Salary in 2016, $4 Million Salary in 2017, $5 Million Salary in 2018.  3 year $21 Million see how that works.  First year $12 Million, next 2 $9 Million.

I wonder if the hold up is the Jets lack of willingness to give Fitz anything guaranteed beyond the first year.

Just speculating here, could the Jets front office be concerned with how Fitz will play against the tough schedule we are facing this year.

An on that note, what happens if he reverts to the QB he has been, most of his 11 years in the NFL when facing tough defenses.

It is my belief that even if we sign Fitz and he is handed the starters job, keeping Geno on the roster will be essential.

I say this because I believe Geno will have the opportunity eventually start. I think many here calling Fitz the Savior, by the 6th to 7th game,will be calling for his head.

An again I wonder if this fear is factoring into the negotiations we see that are going on now.

6 minutes ago, hawk said:

If I am reading this correctly, $12 Million the first year.  That doesn't mean the offer isnt what was initially reported.  IE. $9 Million Signing bonus, $3 Million Salary in 2016, $4 Million Salary in 2017, $5 Million Salary in 2018.  3 year $21 Million see how that works.  First year $12 Million, next 2 $9 Million.

Good to see someone that understands "football contract math"

4 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Well, it does not properly punish him for not making the playoffs last year, which is going to piss a lot of people off

He didn't miss the playoffs alone.

I don't care about those people. They are always going to find a wrinkle to be unhappy with, because feeling as though their expectations are higher, or their insights are greater, makes them feel better about themselves. Even if what they are saying is pure bunk.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

SOJ moves here, boy. Have some ******* dignity, Maccagnan.

well yeah because you know more than the actual players coaches and the GM . You fail to see what's right before you're eyes because Fitz did this or that in the past playing for bad football teams and probably offense that didn't fit him.

This is exactly what I said Fitz would sign for and the final 2 years are not going to be as high as 12 million. This deal could very well come down to verbage in the contract none of us are aware of its not always about hard figures. The Jets could be offering 12/7/7 which would be a good deal IMO hoping one of the young guys Petty/Hack will step up in a year or two when Fitz is pushing 37 + and take over the reigns.

7 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

The team obviously leaked this. I would expect "new information", such as the guaranteed money being ~$5 million, to come out soon, courtesy of Fitz's agent. 

Under the CBA, you can't give a veteran a 12 M contract, with only 5 M guaranteed.  Once the season starts the whole year is guaranteed 

3 minutes ago, fltflo said:

I wonder if the hold up is the Jets lack of willingness to give Fitz anything guaranteed beyond the first year.

Just speculating here, could the Jets front office be concerned with how Fitz will play against the tough schedule we are facing this year.

An on that note, what happens if he reverts to the QB he has been, most of his 11 years in the NFL when facing tough defenses.

It is my belief that even if we sign Fitz and he is handed the starters job, keeping Geno on the roster will be essential.

I say this because I believe Geno will have the opportunity eventually start. I think many here calling Fitz the Savior, by the 6th to 7th game,will be calling for his head.

An again I wonder if this fear is factoring into the negotiations we see that are going on now.

unfortunately, that only matters if it was done in a Jets jersey. Any history with the other 5 teams is basically water under the bridge. 

1 minute ago, fltflo said:

Absolutely. 

It's a one-year deal, for all intents and purposes.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Also, if these numbers are correct, this team has ZERO faith in Geno Smith.  I thought they'd eventually work their way up to $11 million.  If the offer has been $12 million for four mnoths now....for Ryan Fitzpatrick...then please, tell me more about how "comfortable" the team is with Geno at QB.  Can't wait to hear this.

AFJF the Post says current offer, This could have happened yesterday for all we know

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

well yeah because you know more than the actual players coaches and the GM . You fail to see what's right before you're eyes because Fitz did this or that in the past playing for bad football teams and probably offense that didn't fit him.

This is exactly what I said Fitz would sign for and the final 2 years are not going to be as high as 12 million. This deal could very well come down to verbage in the contract none of us are aware of its not always about hard figures. The Jets could be offering 12/7/7 which would be a good deal IMO hoping one of the young guys Petty/Hack will step up in a year or two when Fitz is pushing 37 + and take over the reigns.

If Fitz makes $12 mil, Cam Newton is worth, what, $3.5?

Just now, Smashmouth said:

AFJF the Post says current offer, This could have happened yesterday for all we know

Rapoport has since confirmed that the offer has been on the table since March.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Absolutely. 

It's a one-year deal, for all intents and purposes.

Ummm...I believe the proper term is intensive purposes, sir :)

Well those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. An that goes for Geno as well. The difference the Jets have with Geno is, we won't be paying for it for the next three years

lol at people crying about Woody money being spent.

you think I give a sh*t if Woody has less money?

the cap is bullsh*t  , you can always play with it if you want to sign someone.

OMG Fitz will take 12 million from Woody!!! think about the children!!!

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

Now can the Fitz lovers stop with the Jets have been disrespecting Fitz nonsense. 

As many of us have said and speculated the Jets have offered Fitz in excess of $11 Million Dollars not Pesos but Dollars mind you and that is hardly an insult by any stretch of the imagination.  

If Fitz thinks that Jets should give him $16 million per year or a guaranteed multi year deal of in excess of $40 Million Dollars he and his fan brigade are nuts and IMO that includes "vacationing" Decker as well. 

Charlie no one thinks the Jets should give Fitz 16 mil not one person and you know that. The 16 million figure was purely a bargaining number hoping the Jets would move their price up . I think this probably just happened and they could very well be finalizing the deal with things like incentives and the remaining 2 years on the deal we know nothing about. That cant take a few days im sure so be patient because this deal is going to get done.

56 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

You can't stomach even the possibility that the Jets have reacted and behaved horably here that maybe just maybe they have attempted to treat Fitz well. 

That maybe he and his agent in attempt to maximize his dollars have sought from the Jets probably more than double than any other sane franchise was willing to give Fitz, thank Hoyer here.  

You would rather deny every post or newspaper story that runs counter to your narrative of the Jets low balling Fitz, which was nothing more than a media report to begin with.  

And that offer has been on the table since March!!

Good Grief!!

No, I just don't trust the press in New York. The story is a rumor and nothing in it has legs. I want them to sign him. And pay him market. I don't believe if there is a 12 mil offer its been on the table since March. This is the first we've heard about it. If Cannizzaro can't produce more evidence than this I find it hard to believe. It's possible the Jets decided to leak it but so far that doesn't seem to be the way Mac operates. And Woody hasn't said anything about specifics. I don't believe it. And PS to get the record straight I never once said the Jets low balled him. Show me where I said that. The exact opposite. I've always said that we didn't know the offer from either side and that reports were sketchy like this one.

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

Charlie no one thinks the Jets should give Fitz 16 mil not one person and you know that. The 16 million figure was purely a bargaining number hoping the Jets would move their price up . I think this probably just happened and they could very well be finalizing the deal with things like incentives and the remaining 2 years on the deal we know nothing about. That cant take a few days im sure so be patient because this deal is going to get done.

You probably didn't see it yet Smash, but Rapoport says offer has been on the table since March.  That was the most shocking part to me.  When I heard the number I thought he'd be signing tomorrow.

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

He didn't miss the playoffs alone.

I don't care about those people. They are always going to find a wrinkle to be unhappy with, because feeling as though their expectations are higher, or their insights are greater, makes them feel better about themselves. Even if what they are saying is pure bunk.

I was only being snarky, many Jets fans feel that way. I think the price is high, but largely because it seems they are bidding against themselves, but my feelings are pretty similar to yours, and I don't know what the ~5 mil extra would be used for anyway.

2 minutes ago, fltflo said:

Did you enjoy it when Vinny T was our QB?

37 minutes ago, flgreen said:

If he's on the team for the first game, as a vet, the 12 M is automatically guaranteed 

is that fully guaranteed against skill or injury ?

I don't want to give this story to much cred, cannizaro is a hack...if the jets are at $12 and fitz is at $15, that's a big gap but you can make it work.  I really just don't believe it to be honest

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Also, if these numbers are correct, this team has ZERO faith in Geno Smith.  I thought they'd eventually work their way up to $11 million.  If the offer has been $12 million for four mnoths now....for Ryan Fitzpatrick...then please, tell me more about how "comfortable" the team is with Geno at QB.  Can't wait to hear this.

No it just means the Jets organization is about to make another mistake and overpay on a contract that will come back and bite them in the ass in 2-3 years. 

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If Fitz makes $12 mil, Cam Newton is worth, what, $3.5?

haha, free agents routinely get over paid, it's how the league has always been... i really don't know why people are uppity.

ideally, with 3 developmental QBs on the roster already, we hit on one of them in the next 2 years, and then we don't have to overpay for QBs nobody else wants... but until we have 'our guy', this is the reality we are going to be living

lmfao off at the notion want to guard Woody's purse

the only way this outrage makes sense is if people are pissed at the pure principle of a mediocre athlete getting paid a ton, agendas from previously made arguments, and/or broke-ass dimwits that like to yell about the thing they know the least about = cashola

9 minutes ago, cant wait said:

What about incentives?

That's a possibility, but if the 12 M is total incentives, it's not really a 12 M dollar offerthe first year, and the report is incorrect, which is also a possibility.

I agree, it just doesn't seem right that Fitz would be turning down 12 M guarantees.  You would think that the incentives would be in year 2 and 3.

Who knows contract speak in the NFL is very weird at times. 

What I see here is that Jets fans do not know the current market for QB's if 12 million is in fact bottom of the totem pole for Starting QB's then there is nothing wrong with the offer since its not your ******* money. If Macc offered that much this might be coming down to other things and how the contract is structured

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

No it just means the Jets organization is about to make another mistake and overpay on a contract that will come back and bite them in the ass in 2-3 years. 

Right....they're clearly in LOVE with Geno who they have under contract for $1.7 million...LOVE I tell you....LOL

Archived