Report: Jets Offer to Fitz at $12 Million in First Year of 3-Year/$24M Deal

JetNation

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Better than having Fitz hanging around in 2019 with a weaker arm than he has now.

What does 2019 have to do with today?  You should go ahead and start a thread asking who the starting QB will be in 2019 while the rest of us talk about what's going on right now....LOL

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look at this way: 

Fitz can sign that contract any time he likes. 

He's guaranteed the starting job as soon as he walks in the door. 

Several other veterans aren't reporting either. 

Why would he want to show up to the BS OTAs when he can sign before camp when he doesn't have to? He can take all the time he wants. The Jets have made it crystal clear their position. He'll squeeze some money out of them in the 2nd year (because who knows if Petty or Hack will be ready) and he knows he'll have a decent shot at starting the next two seasons. It's a win - win for him right now. 

13 minutes ago, cant wait said:

What about incentives?

That's a possibility, but if the 12 M is total incentives, it's not really a 12 M dollar offerthe first year, and the report is incorrect, which is also a possibility.

I agree, it just doesn't seem right that Fitz would be turning down 12 M guarantees.  You would think that the incentives would be in year 2 and 3.

Who knows contract speak in the NFL is very weird at times. 

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If Fitz makes $12 mil, Cam Newton is worth, what, $3.5?

Lets see what happens with Cam moving forward. Remember he didn't win the SB and he didn't even play good in the game itself. His team is fantastic and its young lets see how that pans out when all those rookie contracts come due and Cam is making ridiculous money. Should be fun.

5 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

What I see here is that Jets fans do not know the current market for QB's if 12 million is in fact bottom of the totem pole for Starting QB's then there is nothing wrong with the offer since its not your ******* money. If Macc offered that much this might be coming down to other things and how the contract is structured

You're misunderstanding, Jets fans generally understand the current market for starting QB's. Many dont look at him as a Starting QB. 

The Jets just destroyed any sympathy Fitzpatrick's camp wanted to get
from fans or the media.  By "leaking" that they are willing to give 
him 12 million in the first year who in their right mind would say 
"he's being disrespected"???

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

You're misunderstanding, Jets fans generally understand the current market for starting QB's. Many dont look at him as a Starting QB. 

well yeah because back ups regularly throw 31 TD's and 4000 yards tell me when was the last back up that did that ? When was the last back up who played well enough to win 12 games ? I'll wait.

3 minutes ago, KRL said:

Do you think anyone in this BUSINESS gives a rats ass about Sympathy ?

1 minute ago, KRL said:

If it's a true 12 M I agree.  I suspect this is being leaked in contract speak.   

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

well yeah because back ups regularly throw 31 TD's tell me when was the last back up that did that ? When was the last back up who played well enough to win 12 games ? I'll wait.

You wont have to wait long. 

Starting QB's dont end up being a back up, then starter, then a back up again then cut....on 5 prior teams before getting to his 6th. 

See? Wasnt a long wait. 

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

What does 2019 have to do with today?  You should go ahead and start a thread asking who the starting QB will be in 2019 while the rest of us talk about what's going on right now....LOL

If they sign him to a 3 year deal he will be here in 2018  

2016 - 2018 is a 3 year deal 

i MEANT TO SAY/TYPE 2018 

Sources: Jets have offered Ryan Fitzpatrick a three-year deal

Updated 
By Kimberley A. Martin  kimberley.martin@newsday.com 

The Jets have offered journeyman quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick a three-year free-agent deal that includes $12 million in the first year, according to sources.

Fitzpatrick, 33, has remained a free agent for months, waiting for the contract he believes he deserves. But it turns out the Jets were being more generous than initially thought.

Despite reports that the team has only offered around $7 million or $8 million a year, the organization’s $12 million offer for 2016 is almost four times what Fitzpatrick earned last season ($3.25 million), following his trade from the Houston Texans. And indications are it’s been on the table since March.

It remains to be seen if both sides are close to agreeing on a deal. Despite their shared interest in reuniting, the contract impasse between Fitzpatrick and the Jets has lasted since free agency began.

He started all 16 games last season, throwing for 3,905 yards and 31 touchdowns (both career highs) as he helped lead the Jets to a 10-6 record. The team, however, failed to make the playoffs for a fifth straight season. 

Fitzpatrick has yet to play in a postseason game.

The veteran signal-caller, who turns 34 in November, told reporters earlier this week, “I would like to be back.” And with no other suitors, according to sources, the Jets appear to be his eventual landing spot. 

Todd Bowles, however, isn’t getting ahead of himself.

Asked on Wednesday if he’s “confident” Fitzpatrick will return, the Jets coach said: “You’re hopeful, I don’t know about confident. A lot of things can happen in football. Nothing surprises you but they’re working on it and hopefully things work out.”

Bowles said as of “right now” the team plans to keep four quarterbacks to start the regular season if Fitzpatrick re-signs. That means they’ll be even less practice reps for Geno Smith (the presumptive starter) and backups Bryce Petty and rookie Christian Hackenberg. But the time away from the team won’t be an issue for Fitzpatrick, Bowles said.

“You’ve got to remember he was hurt last year when he came and he started the season,” he said. “So if you look at that, we’re in the same boat we were in last year. Fitz was hurt, Geno was the starting quarterback going in, and that’s how you approach this year.”

Just now, joewilly12 said:

If they sign him to a 3 year deal he will be here in 2018  

2016 - 2018 is a 3 year deal 

i MEANT TO SAY/TYPE 2018 

Even still...the comment you quoted was me saying how they must really feel about Geno after months of his fans telling me how "comfortable" the team is with him.  Yes, they're so comfortable with him that they're offering Ryan Fitz $12 million next year.  I'm a Fitz fan, and even I think that's too much.  They have no interest in Geno.  If he does, even they're going to hate it.

No he's not. Brady takes pay cuts so the great might patriots can compete for a super bowl every year. There's a reason he's been to 6 SB. While the jets have a selfish journeyman whom is about to milk them like he did the bills.

Brady owns a nutrition and supplement company that does over $10 million a year in revenue. Guess who his largest, and as far as we know only, customer is.

Hint: they are located in Foxboro, MA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, KRL said:

I'll tell you who... the ex-Patriots goon squad working for NFL Network, and the dumb brains fraternity working for ESPN.

These guys don't care about reality. They just say a whole bunch of stupid sh*t.

4 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

well yeah because back ups regularly throw 31 TD's and 4000 yards tell me when was the last back up that did that ? When was the last back up who played well enough to win 12 games ? I'll wait.

He's a back up who has started over 100 career games, and started at least 12 games in five of the last six seasons, missing several starts with a broken leg. Thatt's gotta' be some kind of record too.

6 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

You wont have to wait long. 

Starting QB's dont end up being a back up, then starter, then a back up again then cut....on 5 prior teams before getting to his 6th. 

See? Wasnt a long wait. 

Stop dwelling in the past Villain ...there have been QB's that were not in the right situation and I believe Fitz is one of those QB's . I believe with the players we added in the offseason Fitz will eclipse the numbers he put up last year. I believe Fitz has the capability to be the Next Jim Plunkett or the Next Rich Gannon because neither one of those guys had even close to the Career Fitz had before coming to the Jets. While not great it was certainly not terrible like Gannons and Plunketts were. I suspect if the Jets signed players like them we would be having the same argument.... oh wait they did ... never mind . Jets fans are way to pessimistic, just root for the guy when he gets here and hope Im right. Also lets just agree to disagree moving forward we have had much respect for one another on past opinions no need to keep bickering.

20 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Ummm...I believe the proper term is intensive purposes, sir :)

Granite, you are probably right, correcting others grammar on a message board is found upon, and can land you in the intents and care unit...so wash yourself. 

52 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I guess your unaware that Brady has a business partner, who has been involved in fraud scams,  who sells some type of health crap to the Pats.    

Or like deflate gate, and the video taping scams most Pats fans are in denial.    You really aren't very good at this trolling thing.

Jets scandals:

Trippygate

Tampergate

Spygate

Inurygate

Deflategate (1992)

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

Did I miss a joke here or something ?

I think it was in a sitcom skit with Fitz.  Some dude was saying Fitz was no good and used "all intensive purposes" in saying the wonderlic wasn't that hard so Fitz corrected him to "all intents and purposes".

It was a joke...but not a funny one.

Rapaport didn't confirm it. Let's get our language straight. He said it came from "a source with knowledge of the situation" and confirmed the story originated with Canizzaro. It could be a legit leak coming from the Jets to countermand any bad pub they are getting esp with the Decker situation. Or it could just be like all of the other stories like the 7 mil story just a rumor. 

17 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

$1.7 million is a far cry from $12 million 

DUH

Well I guess it clearly indicates that football people think that even though Fitz has been a journeyman, he's still 7 times better then smith.  Duh

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

Rapaport didn't confirm it. Let's get our language straight. He said it came from "a source with knowledge of the situation" and confirmed the story originated with Canizzaro. It could be a legit leak coming from the Jets to countermand any bad pub they are getting esp with the Decker situation. Or it could just be like all of the other stories like the 7 mil story just a rumor. 

I think when a guy like Rapoport piggy back's on a tweet with a dollar amount and tells everyone how long that offer has been on the table, he's confirming it.  Just my opinion of course.

Archived