the clock on how long they are willing to wait for Fitzpatrick to sign
the deal.  As far as the 12 million in the first year is concerned people
need to realize that DOESN'T mean the annual value of the deal is 12
million.  To get the cap hit of the deal to a reasonable number the first
year is probably paying Fitzpatrick a salary of 3 million with a signing
bonus of 9 million.  In total Fitzpatrick would have 12 million in hand but
our cap hit would only be 6 million.  In addition the 12 million in the
first year sends a couple of messages:

- To Fitzpatrick it says thanks for 2015 and you're our starter in 2016.
But at 34-35 years old you aren't our long term answer

- To the media it says shut up about us being cheap

- To the team it shows they are being more than reasonable

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out now that the team
has finally "responded" after all these months

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well said!

I may be alone in not killing Fitz for hesitating, but none of us know for sure exactly how the offer is written up. He knows this is his last chance to cash in and he definitely deserves at least a little security after setting and coming close to multiple franchise records last year. 

I know Fitz does not "have" to sign until September but I am starting to think the Jets need to set a deadline when they make a statement that they are moving on, door is still open (yada, yada, yada) but this is starting to bring back the circus, the "leak" is the fist sign, and if Lynch starts in Denver and does well, this season is going to implode quickly

5 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

I know Fitz does not "have" to sign until September but I am starting to think the Jets need to set a deadline when they make a statement that they are moving on, door is still open (yada, yada, yada) but this is starting to bring back the circus, the "leak" is the fist sign, and if Lynch starts in Denver and does well, this season is going to implode quickly

Denver does not require Lynch to play well( ie. Manning) to win. Two totally different teams. You can't say that Lynch managing a game for Denver would be the same as him starting for the Jets. Sanchez will start for Denver... they'll let Lynch sit until at least the Bye in week  11.

Concerning Fitz, I'd like to have him in camp but if he gives the Jets crap over this deal then it's onto Geno and let the Petty/Hack competition for 2017 begin.

If we're out of it by week 11 (bye) let the young guys loose. 

3 hours ago, jetfuel said:

Well said!

I may be alone in not killing Fitz for hesitating, but none of us know for sure exactly how the offer is written up. He knows this is his last chance to cash in and he definitely deserves at least a little security after setting and coming close to multiple franchise records last year. 

Maybe instead of meaningless records we can get a playoff game out of him.  Because no one else has.  Ever. 

Hes been a bottom tier QB for 11 years.  He's just good enough to hang around but not good enough to do more than give some hope to some.  He has accomplished nothing in this league and has made how many tens of millions as basically a failure.  

Yeah, he deserves security.  Because he has a cool beard I guess, lol 

Perhaps the Jets leak was retaliation for Fitzpatrick's leak i.e. Decker taking it public that  his absence was strategic, intentional, and deliberate.  

Taking that view, which I actually agree with. Fitzpatrick is the one who broke the peace.

3 hours ago, jetfuel said:

Well said!

Last year isn't part of this year's contract.

Besides, the purpose of the regular season is to get to the postseason. 

13 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Last year isn't part of this year's contract.

Besides, the purpose of the regular season is to get to the postseason. 

Which might happen with Fitz ... But will not happen with Geno

If Fitztragic actually won the Bills game.(he singlehandedly lost it) AND reverted to his mean .........the most important game of his career(NEVER been in a playoff game

IF he had won that game...he would have all the leverage in the world.....he didn't ...he chit the bed...as usual.

It would surprise no one if he were resigned to go 1-4 ..be pulled and that's that.

JETS organization.....DO NOT DO THIS......his body of work speaks for itself........lets work with what we have geno,petty,hackenburg. THERE IS NO WIN NOW WITH FITZTRAGIC

.....it's a complete waste of a year and we still don't know what we have for qb.......as far as Marshall,Decker,Forte 's age and how much they have left.........zero craps given. This is a game of QB's.  And if you don't find an answer you got nothing.

Well said!

Can you provide a list of all those franchise records Fitz set last year?

this is a significant leak

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Sounds like what they did with Cro. Completely cuttable after the first year with no problems or cap repercussions. 

gives you some insight to why fitz told them to sit and screw ?

27 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Can you provide a list of all those franchise records Fitz set last year?

most touchdowns in a season - second most yards in a season - second most completions in a season - Marshall tied the TD reception record, and broke single season receptions and yards, catching passes from him -Marshall & Decker combined for best single season numbers by WR combo  ... I get why it might not sound like much to a Pats' fan, but for a team that has not had much at the QB position in many years, it is quite significant.

7 hours ago, jetfuel said:

Well said!

Personally I think he deserves nothing. The market is what it is and fitz is a very rich man already.

7 hours ago, ljr said:

Which might happen with Fitz ... But will not happen with Geno

Says no one but overly optimistic Fitz fans.  Hey, he won more than 6 games finally, playoffs are just around the corner! 

5 hours ago, jetfuel said:

most touchdowns in a season - second most yards in a season - second most completions in a season - Marshall tied the TD reception record, and broke single season receptions and yards, catching passes from him -Marshall & Decker combined for best single season numbers by WR combo  ... I get why it might not sound like much to a Pats' fan, but for a team that has not had much at the QB position in many years, it is quite significant.

It gets significant when you start crediting the QB for records by a WR.

He set one record, TDs.  Because we had no running attack for a chunk of the season.  

He had a chance to make the playoffs.  The teams fate was in his hands and he shlt the bed. 

But hey, he threw a couple of more TDs than Vinny did, give him more money. 

31 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Says no one but overly optimistic Fitz fans.  Hey, he won more than 6 games finally, playoffs are just around the corner! 

28 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He set one record, TDs.  Because we had no running attack for a chunk of the season.  

He had a chance to make the playoffs.  The teams fate was in his hands and he shlt the bed. 

Oh so much hate, belittling accomplishments. Lol

38 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

How did he do the 5 weeks before that with playoffs on the line ?

1 hour ago, BowlesMovement said:

Oh so much hate, belittling accomplishments. Lol

You want to talk, tell me how the records by WRs are Fitzs records? 

Not hate, reality.  Fitz set the record for TD passes.  

1 hour ago, ljr said:

How did he do the 5 weeks before that with playoffs on the line ?

He did well.  Then the ultimate test came and with the playoffs on the line, win and in and he played his worst game. 

You want to dispute it, go ahead.

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

He did well.  Then the ultimate test came and with the playoffs on the line, win and in and he played his worst game. 

You want to dispute it, go ahead.

The playoffs were on the line the last 6 weeks. Your hypothesis is flawed and weak. Fitz wasn't the only one to have a bad game week 17. 

Archived