What would you do with Geno after Fitz signs?

AFJF

We already know Fitz is the starter, what would YOU do with Geno after he signs?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. You decide Geno's fate after Fitz signs (sorry for no vague oddball answers that can be interpreted several different ways)

• Cut him
    • Keep him through final year of his contract
    • Offer him a 1-yr extension
    • Offer him a 2-yr extension
    • Offer him a 3 or more year extension

17 minutes ago, j4jets said:

he was clearly the #1. Obviously it didn't reach wk1 but it was literally days away from the first pre season game n Geno was set to start. And Geno was anointed the starter long time ago only for the coaches to backtrack n hold a half hearted QB competition. 

So basically Geno never won the compatition, correct? There is a big difference between being #1 on a depth chart at the start of pre season and winning the starting job in even a half hearted compatition. We will never know if Fitz would have won out or not last season if all things were equal. Geno lost his opportunity and will have a tougher hill to climb do to the total performance of Fitz last season. Geno had little opportunity to get on the field last year and when he did was unable to perform with positive results. If you are saying that Fitz needs to prove he deserves to start I can accept that there is not a body of work that proves he deserves not to be challenged for the starting role.

9 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

So basically Geno never won the compatition, correct? There is a big difference between being #1 on a depth chart at the start of pre season and winning the starting job in even a half hearted compatition. We will never know if Fitz would have won out or not last season if all things were equal. Geno lost his opportunity and will have a tougher hill to climb do to the total performance of Fitz last season. Geno had little opportunity to get on the field last year and when he did was unable to perform with positive results. If you are saying that Fitz needs to prove he deserves to start I can accept that there is not a body of work that proves he deserves not to be challenged for the starting role.

Fitz was brought in as a backup. Geno won that competition. Just because Geno got hurt doesn't mean he wasnt running away with the competition. And I agree, if Fitz comes back, the FO will never let Geno start due to ego issues. Seattle started Wilson in his rookie year even after signing Matt Flynn to a relatively big deal. Sometimes it's best to not let your ego in the way. We'll see how the season plays out. I've rooted for Jason Taylor so I won't have an issue in rooting for Fitz if he starts. 

Some times in life your given an opportunity, Fitz took his with both hands and ran with it. He put numbers up that are Jet franchise records. Geno is immature young guy, with lots of physical tools but does not have the mental side to go with it. 

When I watched him take sacks against the Raiders, instead of throwing to ball away, I thought million dollar arm, ten cent brain.

He only starts if Fitz does not return, even then it's because Hack and Petty arnt ready. It's obvious the FO want him out, no more Geno threads please, the guy is finished here.

11 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Fitz was brought in as a backup. Geno won that competition. Just because Geno got hurt doesn't mean he wasnt running away with the competition. And I agree, if Fitz comes back, the FO will never let Geno start due to ego issues. Seattle started Wilson in his rookie year even after signing Matt Flynn to a relatively big deal. Sometimes it's best to not let your ego in the way. We'll see how the season plays out. 

Fitz was brought in as the backup with an opportunity to compete. Early on he was limited later on Geno was limited Fitz won by default to start the season and built on the opportunity . If Geno is deserving he will have an opportunity to prove it but his path will be more difficult as it should be do to the season Fitz had. Geno supporters may not like it but he will have to prove himself in this pre season more so than Fitz. So just like Wilson, Geno will need to seize the opportunity nothing will or should be handed to him.

8 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'd chop off his arms and legs and then leave him to die on the edge of an erupting volcano. After that I'd take his pregnant wife far away from him, so that his children could never be corrupted by his internal, uncontrollable evil. It is likely that she would give birth to twins, thus we would have to split the children up for their own safety. My guess is during all of this, Geno would survive and then be reconstructed using advanced robotics and breathing apparatuses so he could continue to use his powers for the forces of evil throughout the entire league. 

Bravo man. I hope more people saw what you did here.

Some times in life your given an opportunity, Fitz took his with both hands and ran with it. He put numbers up that are Jet franchise records.

Fitz did not put up Jet franchise records.

He has one record.

And that one record ranked him 11th in the NFL last year.

The only reason he has that one record is because of the inept performance of previous Jets QB's.

15 hours ago, AFJF said:

You're Mac and you get to decide Geno's fate.

Im assuming that you're still directing this to people who give Geno the benefit of the doubt. If thats the case then It would be great to have a "Start Geno" option in the poll, because thats what I would do if I was deciding Geno's fate. 

7 hours ago, Bocajetfan said:

I keep reading this from many Geno supporters but did he really. Our did the compatition never play itself out in camp due to a broken jaw. When Geno was able to come back he had lost the job to Fitz. Bottom line is both have flaws and it's all about who has the better production on the field. Geno supporters may be viewing him with only a good left eye and those in favor of Fitz a good right eye.

I wouldnt call all those reporters that were tweeting what was going on in training camp "Geno supporters". The competition played itself out in OTA's when Fitz was still limited due to the broken leg as well as in training camp when Fitz was no longer limited due to his leg. And from all reports, Geno Smith was in no danger of losing his starting role. I keep hearing Fitz supporters allude to "Fitz not being able to properly compete with a broken leg" Well, he competed all through training camp and 2 days before the 1st preseason game Geno got punched and 2 days later Fitz had no issues with his leg. So either his leg was indeed okay throughout training camp and the Jets were simply taking precautions during OTA's, or Fitz leg magically healed up in 2 days in order to be ready for the 1st preseason game. 

The more I think about Fitz resigning the more I think about what the excuses will be this time if Geno ends up doing the same thing during training camp and finally into the preseason with Fitz leg not being an excuse. 

14 hours ago, AFJF said:

During 7-on-7's in shorts, remember.  It was that time Fitz was still recovering from a broken leg.

Training camp isnt 7 on 7 in shorts with no pass rush. That's OTA's.  During training camp Fitzpatrick wasnt under any precautions and fully participated just like Geno did. During this time Geno set himself apart from Fitzpatrick. 

Hopefully Fitzpatrick signs so Geno can do it again. 

14 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I wouldnt call all those supporters that were tweeting what was going on in training camp "Geno supporters". The competition played itself out in OTA's when Fitz was still limited due to the broken leg as well as in training camp when Fitz was no longer limited due to his leg. And from all reports, Geno Smith was in no danger of losing his starting role. I keep hearing from Fitz supporters allude to "Fitz not being able to properly compete with a broken leg" Well, he competed all through training camp and 2 days before the 1st preseason game Geno got punched and 2 days later Fitz had no issues with his leg. So either his leg was indeed okay throughout training camp and the Jets were simply taking precautions during OTA's, or Fitz leg magically healed up in 2 days in order to be ready for the 1st preseason game. 

The more I think about Fitz resigning the more I think about what the excuses will be this time if Geno ends up doing the same thing during training camp and finally into the preseason with Fitz leg not being an excuse. 

As I said both have flaws that can be pointed to and both should have the opportunity to sees the moment. Whoever wins out wins out. Last year Fitz made the most of his opportunity, when The door cracked open (ail though it was a small crack) Geno was not able to sees his. Geno had not shown that a healthy Geno was better than a 80% Fitz.

37 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

As I said both have flaws that can be pointed to and both should have the opportunity to sees the moment. Whoever wins out wins out. Last year Fitz made the most of his opportunity, when The door cracked open (ail though it was a small crack) Geno was not able to sees his. Geno had not shown that a healthy Geno was better than a 80% Fitz.

Based on what exactly? 

This is what you also said "I keep reading this from many Geno supporters but did he really. Our did the compatition never play itself out in camp due to a broken jaw." Me being a supporter of Geno I addressed it. We've read alot of things about both QB's, but you only addressed the Geno supporters and their factual statement while not saying anything about Fitz supporters continuously using his leg as an excuse which when it came to training camp isnt true becasue it wasnt an issue. Here's a link of a report where Fitzpatrick says from his own mouth that he's 100% full go in training camp. 

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/52641/ryan-fitzpatrick-looking-to-beat-the-odds-again-and-win-jets-job

Fitzpatrick fully participated in training camp and during that time Geno was in no way in a position to lose his starting role because he outperformed Fitz to keep the starting role. 

So where do you get this "A healthy Geno wasnt better than an 80% Fitz"? 

It's going to be interesting to see how Fitz's holdout effects the qb situation. Needless to say, Geno has an opportunity to steal the job back now that Fitz is sitting his ass at home. And honestly, based off of his play last year and how he crapped his pants with the playoffs on the line, he should be feeling uncomfortable with being out to long or he might find himself no longer being a starter.

8 hours ago, j4jets said:

I base my opinion on Geno's last 7 games plus some improvement. And yes, he outplayed Fitz in OTAs and the entire training camp. He only lost yeah job due to injury. Jets didn't want to switch back to him cuz we started beating up on some bad teams. 

Geno's last 7 games he has a 2-5 record. 

11 minutes ago, artemusclyde said:

It's going to be interesting to see how Fitz's holdout effects the qb situation. Needless to say, Geno has an opportunity to steal the job back now that Fitz is sitting his ass at home. And honestly, based off of his play last year and how he crapped his pants with the playoffs on the line, he should be feeling uncomfortable with being out to long or he might find himself no longer being a starter.

Fitz isnt holding out. He's a free agent. 

8 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Based on what exactly? 

This is what you also said "I keep reading this from many Geno supporters but did he really. Our did the compatition never play itself out in camp due to a broken jaw." Me being a supporter of Geno I addressed it. We've read alot of things about both QB's, but you only addressed the Geno supporters and their factual statement while not saying anything about Fitz supporters continuously using his leg as an excuse which when it came to training camp isnt true becasue it wasnt an issue. Here's a link of a report where Fitzpatrick says from his own mouth that he's 100% full go in training game. 

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/52641/ryan-fitzpatrick-looking-to-beat-the-odds-again-and-win-jets-job

Fitzpatrick fully participated in training camp and during that time Geno was in no way in a position to lose his starting role because he outperformed Fitz to keep the starting role. 

So where do you get this "A healthy Geno wasnt better than an 80% Fitz"? 

When Fitz injured his thumb Geno had an opportunity to make a statement and did not that's all I am saying. Geno will get another chance but his opportunity will be more difficult due to How Fitz played last season, It should be Fitzs job to lose to start camp if Geno wins out so be it but win it he must.

5 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

When Fitz injured his thumb Geno had an opportunity to make a statement and did not that's all I am saying. Geno will get another chance but his opportunity will be more difficult due to How Fitz played last season, It should be Fitzs job to lose to start camp if Geno wins out so be it but win it he must.

Dude, dont change the subject. This this the problem with holding these conversations. People say stuff, then when they're called on it, change the subject. Fitzpatrick injured his non-throwing thumb. Thats the end of that discussion. 

Back on topic. What are you basing your statement: "A healthy Geno wasnt better than an 80% Fitz" on? It surely wasnt training camp BACK WHEN THEY WERE COMPETING. 

11 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Gotta add a "start him" option.

Have to agree with that, even though I don't believe in Geno you just never know. I hope I am wrong and Geno proves us all wrong,I just want a quality starting QB. Is that too much to ******* ask for!! I think it all depends on how they feel about Petty. I doubt they would pay Geno unless Petty is garbage.

28 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Statistically is what he referred to, but I think you knew that already. 

28 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Statistically is what he referred to, but I think you knew that already. 

I thought all that mattered were wins and strength of schedule. Geno averaged 18 points per game over his last 7 with the one good one being the meaningless Miami game.

Those against the juggernaut Bills, Dolphins, Vikings, Titans, Raiders, and the one good team being the Pats. 

Fitz averaged 24 points per game never scoring less than 17. 

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Dude, dont change the subject. This this the problem with holding these conversations. People say stuff, then when they're called on it change the subject. Fitzpatrick injured his non-throwing thumb. Thats the end of that discussion. 

Back on topic. What are you basing your statement: "A healthy Geno wasnt better than an 80% Fitz" on? 

Not changing the subject my reference to a 100% Geno to an 80% Fitz was in regard to the Thumb injury. Yes it was his none throwing hand but his ball handling was limited taking snaps under center, handoffs and controlling the ball under pressure. Just my opinion but Fitz had lost 20% of his ability to run the total offensive package and play calling needed to be scaled back due to the injury. Geno did not grab hold of the situation and run with it.

7 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

I thought all that mattered were wins and strength of schedule. Geno averaged 18 points per game over his last 7 with the one good one being the meaningless Miami game.

Those against the juggernaut Bills, Dolphins, Vikings, Titans, Raiders, and the one decent team being the Pats. 

Fitz averaged 24 points per game never scoring less than 17. 

It doesnt matter what you thought, it matters what he was referring to. 

17 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

Not changing the subject my reference to a 100% Geno to an 80% Fitz was in regard to the Thumb injury. Yes it was his none throwing hand but his ball handling was limited taking snaps under center, handoffs and controlling the ball under pressure. Just my opinion but Fitz had lost 20% of his ability to run the total offensive package and play calling needed to be scaled back due to the injury. Geno did not grab hold of the situation and run with it.

Bowles said himself that he wasnt interested in having a QB competition during the season. Fitz was the starter given injury. Fitz didnt miss any games given the thumb injury because he was still able to play given that it was on his non-throwing hand. I guarantee that if that injury was on his throwing hand you would have seen alot more of Geno Smith. 

Geno didnt grab on to the situation and run with it because there was nothing to grab on to. That position is only used by Fitz supporters. Same guys who question what "really" happened during the training camp situation yet wont question the broken leg excuse, though Fitz himself said he was a full go. 

Fitz hand injury didnt warrant him missing any time. The fact that he simply put on a hard-glove and was still able to throw the ball proves that. 

3 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

When I say thought, I mean that this is what you guys have been incessantly preaching, but I think you already knew that.

Na, when I constantly preach something, I stay on track, but I think you already knew that. 

Now that you've been corrected about what he was referring to then you can address that. 

14 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Bowles said himself that he wasnt interested in having a QB competition during the season. Fitz was the starter given injury. Fitz didnt miss any games given the thumb injury because he was still able to play given that it was on his non-throwing hand. I guarantee that if that injury was on his throwing hand you would have seen alot more of Geno Smith. 

Geno didnt grab on to the situation and run with it because there was nothing to grab on to. That position is only used by Fitz supporters. Same guys who question what "really" happened training camp situation yet wont question the broken leg excuse, though Fitz himself said he was a full go. 

Fitz hand injury didnt warrant him missing any time. The fact that he simply put a hard-glove on proves that. 

Fitz won out in training camp by default and it never was totally played out with two healthy competitors. Geno had the opportunity to show he was a better option when Fitz injured his thumb and did not. Fitz had to show that even with the injury he could run the offense. Chan had to scale back snaps under center play calling and at the same time worry if Fitz would fumble a handoff our loose the ball when he was under pressure. It was a small crack in the door but Geno was not abale to force his way through it. Looked unprepared to come in and play against the Raiders and did not show enough in practice to the coaches that he was a better option

21 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

Fitz won out in training camp by default and it never was totally played out with two healthy competitors. Geno had the opportunity to show he was a better option when Fitz injured his thumb and did not. Fitz had to show that even with the injury he could run the offense. Chan had to scale back snaps under center play calling and at the same time worry if Fitz would fumble a handoff our loose the ball when he was under pressure. It was a small crack in the door but Geno was not abale to force his way through it. Looked unprepared to come in and play against the Raiders and did not show enough in practice to the coaches that he was a better option

Fitz didnt win anything by default. He was handed the job due to injury. Geno had the opportunity to show that he was better than Fitz by having zero chemistry with the 1's, and coming into the game cold yet threw for 265, 2TD's and rushed for 34 yards. Its not his fault that he could have had 3 TD's if it wasnt for a drop in the endzone along with the defense giving up 34 points. 

Geno went into the game and did what he had to do, sure, he had a mistake. But its ridiculous to hear people speak this nonsense. 

The good thing is, Geno as of now is the starter. But if Fitz is resigned we'll see then so all of the excuses about broken legs that werent broken during training camp, broken thumbs which was on a non-throwing hand, Geno getting an opportunity that he allegedly failed though the stats would say otherwise,....will all be put to rest. 

Nothing but excuses. Numerous QB's have played with injured non-throwing hands. Suddenly, when its Fitz then it must be that the Jets will do ANYTHING other than put Geno on the field, yet this was the same organization that had him going into the season as the starter. 

Archived