Genoesque: golden arm with a .10 cent brain

Powpow

Someone here recently described Geno as having a golden arm with a .10 cent brain. Apropos description. NFL history is littered with such QB's.  On the converse, there have been numerous QB's with average arms yet exceptional football sense.  What has been the success/failure stories of such QB's?  Of course this is very subjective.  So many factors ingrained into what promotes success/failure with these QB's. It's somewhat difficult to prove but it strongly indicates it takes much more than physical tools to play the position.  Just looking at these 2 opposing parameters. My favorite in this category, Bart Starr.  The epitome of the polar opposite - Ryan Leaf.  

Bart-Starr1-e1373829995315.jpg

3 hours ago, Powpow said:

Someone here recently described Geno as having a golden arm with a .10 cent brain. Apropos description. NFL history is littered with such QB's.  On the converse, there have been numerous QB's with average arms yet exceptional football sense.  What has been the success/failure stories of such QB's?  Of course this is very subjective.  So many factors ingrained into what promotes success/failure with these QB's. It's somewhat difficult to prove but it strongly indicates it takes much more than physical tools to play the position.  Just looking at these 2 opposing parameters. My favorite in this category, Bart Starr.  The epitome of the polar opposite - Ryan Leaf.  

I'm waiting for some young fan to post;But Starr never threw more then 16 td's in a season or passed for 2500 yds..LOL

6 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

You guys are making this forum soooooo unreadable! lmao. 

Kind of like beating your Glennon posts to death. I know this thread may force you think which may be beyond your scope of practice. 

13 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

I'm waiting for some young fan to post;But Starr never threw more then 16 td's in a season or passed for 2500 yds..LOL

Starr played in a much different era. 

Wikipedia......he was the quarterback for the Green Bay Packers from 1956 through 1971. Starr is the only quarterback in NFL history to lead a team to five league championships (196162, 196567), as well as Super Bowls I and II. As the Packers' head coach, he was less successful, compiling a 52–76–3 (.408) record from 1975 through 1983.

Starr was named the Most Valuable Player of the first two Super Bowls and earned four Pro Bowl selections. He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the Packers Hall of Fame in 1977. He won the league MVP award in 1966.[1]

Starr has the highest playoff passer rating (104.80)[2] of any quarterback in NFL history and a playoff record of 9–1. His career completion percentage of 57.4 was an NFL best when he retired in 1972.[3] Starr also held the Packers' franchise record for games played (196) for 32 years, through the 2003 season.[3]

Not bad for a guy drafted in Round 17.  Starr had a very average arm yet set NFL records and was Lombardi's General.

3 hours ago, Powpow said:

Starr played in a much different era. 

Not bad for a guy drafted in Round 17.  Starr had a very average arm yet set NFL records and was Lombardi's General.

I was there watching were you? Yes it was a different era as I have to remind fans when they go after Namath's stats all the time..;)

2 minutes ago, Powpow said:

As soon as Geno is cut it will resume to normal. Now back to the thread please.

I sense sarcasm in that post, but it's actually quite honest and correct. Many a fan was angered not only by Geno's terrible play but the altercation probably more than anything else. He had his chance and he blew it. It's time to move on and if not for various outside factors Geno probably would have been cut long ago.

11 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Above average arm. Hackenberg has a rifle, not that I'm advocating for him to start

Hack's an interesting prospect.  As a freshman he opened a lot of eyes with his ability to assimilate O'Brien's system.  Definitely a big reason why Mac jumped on him in 2nd round despite his troubles in year 2 and 3.   

17 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

I was there watching were you? Yes it was a different era as I have to remind fans when they go after Namath's stats all the time..;)

Yep saw him a few years before SB was invented.  He was cool as a cucumber.  Called his own plays and had an air about him that was quite unique.  True legend.  As far as Namath, he doesn't belong in this thread.  Rocket arm and high football sense.  PS - he also warned us about Geno as soon as he was drafted. 

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Starr was Elway next to Griese and his pop gun arm. 

Nice!  Despite Griese's pop gun arm, he was a master technician on the field however.  He definitely was underrated in the annals of QB's in NFL history.  Smooth as silk, didn't make many mistakes and was an exceptional leader.   

1 hour ago, Savage69 said:

He didn't have to. Football wasn't played that way back in those days. It was four yards and a cloud of dust with some screen passes thrown in. Starr won five championships under Lombardi. Can't argue with that kind of success.

17 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

No, I never heard of any players that wanted Geno to start. Even when he got his jaw broken no one was upset about it. 

Me either. More players seemed to be sympathetic to I.K. Enemkpali than Geno. Straight punk.

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Golden arm is a stretch too. More like nickel painted in an off yellow cost of glitter paint. His arm has never really impressed me. He's not a very accurate passer, no matter how hard or far he can throw it. 

Small hands...any of the games in bad weather Geno couldnt grip the ball.

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Golden arm is a stretch too. More like nickel painted in an off yellow cost of glitter paint. His arm has never really impressed me. He's not a very accurate passer, no matter how hard or far he can throw it. 

Do you prefer Matt Dillon. 

38f009184690344a24b76e9e6e6463f6.jpg

3 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

He didn't have to. Football wasn't played that way back in those days. It was four yards and a cloud of dust with some screen passes thrown in. Starr won five championships under Lombardi. Can't argue with that kind of success.

That's why Namath passing for 4,000 + yds  in 1967 in a 14 game season was a big deal..Also why the AFL in 1960 with their crazy bomb throwing style caught on with so many fans.. 

Geno, as did Sanchez adheres to the half dozen rule, as in he will look relatively good for large parts of games but will make a half dozen mindnumbingly awful plays at the wrong time of the game in the wrong part of the field.

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Geno, as did Sanchez adheres to the half dozen rule, as in he will look relatively good for large parts of games but will make a half dozen mindnumbingly awful plays at the wrong time of the game in the wrong part of the field.

This is why I'm semi ok with the Hack pick.  His football IQ is off the charts.  It seems to be an indispensable ingredient to being a top flight QB.  Guys like Montana, Haden, Brodie were just so smart on the field it made up for their lack of physical skills.  Even Unitas didn't have a big arm but is considered by many as the games greatest QB.   

22 hours ago, Savage69 said:

Me too. Just a kid, but I grew up in Minnesota and we suffered greatly in the years of the great Pack dynasty. Boyd Dollar, Willie McGee, Paul Hornung, Jim Taylor... they were a pretty balanced attack.

3 hours ago, no psls said:

Pennington was a finalist for a Rhodes scholarship you a$$hole !!!!!!!!!

banner1-940x260.jpg

He also went bowling and blew out his arm after 3 surgeries you apologist.  "Rhodes Scholarship" means book-smart, not street-smart.  Clearly.

SAR I

Archived