Fitzpatrick, Jets Stuck in Tough Spot

JetNation

fitz week 17

It’s not easy tackling the Ryan Fitzpatrick issue. There are so many different points, all of which hold merit.

Let’s start with the facts:

• Fitzpatrick had one of the greatest statistical seasons in New York Jets quarterback history.
  • Fitzpatrick tried to bank on that season. He tested the market and the market won.
  • The only reason Fitzpatrick was able to test that market was because Geno Smith was punched in the face.

Both sides have some obvious leverage. Fitzpatrick and company have been able to fairly point out the quarterback market demands top dollars, even for a 34-year-old journeyman. Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill makes $19.2 million a year. Eagles third-string quarterback Chase Daniels makes $7 million per year. To each their own.

Recent reports claim Fitzpatrick has a three year contract – offering $12 million in the first year – on the table. I love this contract and ultimately think Fitzpatrick will sign it. I wouldn’t be surprised to hear reports on how years two and three aren’t backloaded enough. The Jets will likely want a quick out if/when Christian Hackenburg is ready.

I’ve been largely indifferent on the Jets’ quarterback situation. I’m certainly not the leader of the Ryan Fitzpatrick fan club, but I do think he was fair to question his value and test the free agent market.

The players seem to love him. If you believe certain reports, wide receivers Eric Decker and Brandon Marshall are sitting out voluntary OTA’s to “protest” his contract negotiations. While this might not be the most fair to guys like Geno Smith, it speaks volumes about what important pieces think of Fitz.

To me, that matters a lot. Quarterback is not just about arm action and reading defenses. Being the quarterback of an NFL team means you’re the face of the franchise. Your team has to respect you and be able to rally around you. I don’t think the Jets had this in Smith and Mark Sanchez.

There’s also a precedent for success. Fitzpatrick’s TD to INT ratio is 2:1 in his last two seasons. He’s never thrown for less than 3,000 yards under current offensive coordinator Chan Gailey.

The big gamble, of course, is questioning whether Fitzpatrick’s 2015 was an anomaly or the beginning of a nice two to three year stretch of his peak. There is more precedent – Rich Gannon and Vinny Testaverde come immediately to mind. Is Fitz that kind of talent? I have no idea, but it might be worth the gamble.

I, along with plenty of other Jets fans, obviously have concerns. Fitzpatrick has gone a full 16 games just three times in his 10 year career. He also couldn’t live up to a lucrative six year deal in Buffalo, given to him in week six of the 2011 season.

The Jets’ contract offer is more than fair. Why bid against teams that don’t exist? I get it. Mike Maccagnan and company should be applauded for their stance.

Even with all the factors, there’s a thin line between wins and losses. Is there a huge difference between Fitzpatrick and Smith? Probably not, but if the difference between the two is 8-8 and 10-6, sign me up. The Jets have all the pieces to compete right now.

Eventually, I think Fitzpatrick gives in. He’s not getting more money from anyone else to be a starter, especially for a contender. Fitz needs the Jets. The Jets need Fitz.

Get it done.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
GSlJUklVkPg

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

Market economics 101 here.  Fitz said he isn't retiring.  So it's either play for the Jets or take less money to play in a system he is less familiar with.  Hmmm I wonder which is the better choice....

Macc knows this and thats why he isn't throwing big money at a 34 yr old journeyman. 

However, it's obvious that despite reports of 12 million for 2016, Fitz still thinks he's worth more. He can also make the Jets season a washout in my opinion. The Jets are in for a hard season to begin with. Fitz could draw this thing as long as humanly possible like day before opening day drawn out.

I would not advise that for Fitz or the Jets. That could only lead to bad things. Fitz would go on to have a down season and possibly damage his future value beyond 2016. He needs to have a repeat performance or better in 2016.

But right now all he is doing is hurting the Jets chances at competing in 2016. OTA's do NOT involve probably the 3 most important pieces of the puzzle. How much damage that will do remains to be seen. But the reps, the camaraderie, the building/improving of relationships with new players is not happening, no meetings, no classroom work. And make no mistake about it, these are things that Fitz, Marshall, and Decker all need.

So right now the only damage being done is to Mac, Bowles, and the NYJ as a whole.

4 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

However, it's obvious that despite reports of 12 million for 2016, Fitz still thinks he's worth more. He can also make the Jets season a washout in my opinion. The Jets are in for a hard season to begin with. Fitz could draw this thing as long as humanly possible like day before opening day drawn out.

I would not advise that for Fitz or the Jets. That could only lead to bad things. Fitz would go on to have a down season and possibly damage his future value beyond 2016. He needs to have a repeat performance or better in 2016.

But right now all he is doing is hurting the Jets chances at competing in 2016. OTA's do NOT involve probably the 3 most important pieces of the puzzle. How much damage that will do remains to be seen. But the reps, the camaraderie, the building/improving of relationships with new players is not happening, no meetings, no classroom work. And make no mistake about it, these are things that Fitz, Marshall, and Decker all need.

So right now the only damage being done is to Mac, Bowles, and the NYJ as a whole.

Good point.  No one is gaing from this OTA BS.  If Fitz is gonna hold out, Marshall and Decker need to get in there this week.

At least the other QBs could be getting good work.

2 hours ago, JetNation said:

fitz week 17

It’s not easy tackling the Ryan Fitzpatrick issue. There are so many different points, all of which hold merit.

Let’s start with the facts:

• Fitzpatrick had one of the greatest statistical seasons in New York Jets quarterback history.
  • Fitzpatrick tried to bank on that season. He tested the market and the market won.
  • The only reason Fitzpatrick was able to test that market was because Geno Smith was punched in the face.

Both sides have some obvious leverage. Fitzpatrick and company have been able to fairly point out the quarterback market demands top dollars, even for a 34-year-old journeyman. Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill makes $19.2 million a year. Eagles third-string quarterback Chase Daniels makes $7 million per year. To each their own.

Recent reports claim Fitzpatrick has a three year contract – offering $12 million in the first year – on the table. I love this contract and ultimately think Fitzpatrick will sign it. I wouldn’t be surprised to hear reports on how years two and three aren’t backloaded enough. The Jets will likely want a quick out if/when Christian Hackenburg is ready.

I’ve been largely indifferent on the Jets’ quarterback situation. I’m certainly not the leader of the Ryan Fitzpatrick fan club, but I do think he was fair to question his value and test the free agent market.

The players seem to love him. If you believe certain reports, wide receivers Eric Decker and Brandon Marshall are sitting out voluntary OTA’s to “protest” his contract negotiations. While this might not be the most fair to guys like Geno Smith, it speaks volumes about what important pieces think of Fitz.

To me, that matters a lot. Quarterback is not just about arm action and reading defenses. Being the quarterback of an NFL team means you’re the face of the franchise. Your team has to respect you and be able to rally around you. I don’t think the Jets had this in Smith and Mark Sanchez.

There’s also a precedent for success. Fitzpatrick’s TD to INT ratio is 2:1 in his last two seasons. He’s never thrown for less than 3,000 yards under current offensive coordinator Chan Gailey.

The big gamble, of course, is questioning whether Fitzpatrick’s 2015 was an anomaly or the beginning of a nice two to three year stretch of his peak. There is more precedent – Rich Gannon and Vinny Testaverde come immediately to mind. Is Fitz that kind of talent? I have no idea, but it might be worth the gamble.

I, along with plenty of other Jets fans, obviously have concerns. Fitzpatrick has gone a full 16 games just three times in his 10 year career. He also couldn’t live up to a lucrative six year deal in Buffalo, given to him in week six of the 2011 season.

The Jets’ contract offer is more than fair. Why bid against teams that don’t exist? I get it. Mike Maccagnan and company should be applauded for their stance.

Even with all the factors, there’s a thin line between wins and losses. Is there a huge difference between Fitzpatrick and Smith? Probably not, but if the difference between the two is 8-8 and 10-6, sign me up. The Jets have all the pieces to compete right now.

Eventually, I think Fitzpatrick gives in. He’s not getting more money from anyone else to be a starter, especially for a contender. Fitz needs the Jets. The Jets need Fitz.

Get it done.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

GSlJUklVkPg

Click here to read the full story...

Good for Fitz and I hope he doesn't sign this deal. It's stupid. You don't tell your Qb he can start one year and be the backup to your 2nd round draft pick after that.  If you don't have confidence in the guy let him leave. You also don't try to make him look bad in public. 

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

Good for Fitz and I hope he doesn't sign this deal. It's stupid. You don't tell your Qb he can start one year and be the backup to your 2nd round draft pick after that.  If you don't have confidence in the guy let him leave. You also don't try to make him look bad in public. 

They let him leave.  No one else wanted him enough to make him an offer.  They also aren't making him look bad.  They are conducting business in way that's best for the team's interests.  Everything else is media-generated bullcrap.  IMO if he doesn't take the deal, and his only other option is to sit and wait for a starter to get injured and get a desperation deal from a contender, that's doing a lot more to make him look dumb than anything the Jets are doing but it's entirely his life and not mine so whatever floats his boat.

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

They let him leave.  No one else wanted him enough to make him an offer.  They also aren't making him look bad.  They are conducting business in way that's best for the team's interests.  Everything else is media-generated bullcrap.  IMO if he doesn't take the deal, and his only other option is to sit and wait for a starter to get injured and get a desperation deal from a contender, that's doing a lot more to make him look dumb than anything the Jets are doing but it's entirely his life and not mine so whatever floats his boat.

Yes, but I don't see top teams having a lot of cap room available really close to the season. Plus the majority of the starting QBs in the league are better than Fitz so I don't see him getting a 3 year deal at that point.

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Then just offer him 3 for 24 without this media inspired nonsense. Like they are giving him 12 mil for a season and then not saying anything about the rest of the deal (because it's a low ball offer). It's a stupid way to structure a deal and to negotiate a contract. 

19 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Then just offer him 3 for 24 without this media inspired nonsense. Like they are giving him 12 mil for a season and then not saying anything about the rest of the deal (because it's a low ball offer). It's a stupid way to structure a deal and to negotiate a contract. 

It's not stupid.  It lets us and Fitz know what they think of him, and more importantly, that patience is wearing thin.

From the terms of the deal, I gather they think Fitz is a potential starter this year and a quality backup once anyone else shows signs of being a decent QB.

There are six OTAs remaining.  Hopefully Marshall and Decker show up.  If Geno impresses through OTAs, and if Fitz hasn't accepted the offer by start of mandatory practice (mid-June I think)...  really hope they pull the offer.

4 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

It's not stupid.  It lets us and Fitz know what they think of him, and more importantly, that patience is wearing thin.

From the terms of the deal, I gather they think Fitz is a potential starter this year and a quality backup once anyone else shows signs of being a decent QB.

There are six OTAs remaining.  Hopefully Marshall and Decker show up.  If Geno impresses through OTSs, if Fitz hasn't accepted the offer by start of mandatory practice (mid-June I think)...  really hope they pull the offer.

That's not going to happen.    

Its a three year deal so most of 2016 will be bonus.  This way the bonus can be spread over the three years and the cap hit for 2016 will be minimal.  There is so much cap space in 17 and 18 that it won't hurt.  

I think jets go to 14 mil for 2016 and say it's a 3 year 42 mil .   Only 2016 will be guaranteed.  

25 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

The contract is structured smartly by the Jets. They don't expect him to start after 2016, so they are paying him $12M guaranteed for '16 then like a well paid back-up in '17 & '18.  

The Jets would be stupid to negotiate against themselves, no other team is offering Fitz anything close to what the Jets are. 

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

There are six OTAs remaining.  Hopefully Marshall and Decker show up.  If Geno impresses through OTSs, if Fitz hasn't accepted the offer by start of mandatory practice (mid-June I think)...  really hope they pull the offer.

Sorry but its disingenuous. Esp the way they leaked it. You know we offered Fitz one year for 12 mil and not mention the rest of the contract. Or how much is guaranteed. His agent is one of the top agents in football and knows contracts and isn't a Scott Boras type. Not a good deal but he can walk. 

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Sorry but its disingenuous. Esp the way they leaked it. You know we offered Fitz one year for 12 mil and not mention the rest of the contract. Or how much is guaranteed. His agent is one of the top agents in football and knows contracts and isn't a Scott Boras type. Not a good deal but he can walk. 

Well I agree releasing only the 12mil part was a public play of some sort.  But I like what it could mean.  They were probably pissed over the Decker childish BS and want this to end now.  They're annoyed with Fitz.  A little longer and hopefully they just end it. :D

7 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

What's disingenuous? The guy has been a mediocre QB is entire career! He played quite well last year and the Jets are tripling his salary guaranteed for 2016! No one else is bidding on him!!

Look if you want a good relationship with your starting Qb you first don't low ball him after a good year or structure it to try and make him look bad in the press which backfired. It also pisses some of the players off after a good year when the team had good chemistry. It's stupid which isn't unusual for this organization esp with this owner. The latest is they leaked these stories on how Geno looks so good in OTAs. 

32 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

It was was leaked that he was getting 12mil for his first year. The Jets gave him a contract offer like 4 mil first year 6 mil 6 mil with an 8 mil signing bonus. Now he's going to have 12 million in his pocket 1st year. 

Just now, Rangers9 said:

Look if you want a good relationship with your starting Qb you first don't low ball him after a good year or structure it to try and make him look bad in the press which backfired. It also pisses some of the players off after a good year when the team had good chemistry. It's stupid which isn't unusual for this organization esp with this owner. The latest is they leaked these stories on how Geno looks so good in OTAs. 

The Jets didn't leak that Geno looks good in OTA's, it was the beat reporters covering the OTAs.

Just now, NYs Stepchild said:

It was was leaked that he was getting 12mil for his first year. The Jets gave him a contract offer like 4 mil first year 6 mil 6 mil with an 8 mil signing bonus. Now he's going to have 12 million in his pocket 1st year. 

To get the 12 mil for year 1 he has to accept 6 mil for year 2 and 6 mil for year 3. He is ok with year 1 but not with the rest of the deal. He can't just leave after year 1 with 12 mil. It's deceptive. 

Just now, Rangers9 said:

To get the 12 mil for year 1 he has to accept 6 mil for year 2 and 6 mil for year 3. He is ok with year 1 but not with the rest of the deal. He can't just leave after year 1 with 12 mil. It's deceptive. 

He knows how contracts work. He also knows no one else is going to pay him that much, or even let him start.

The way I look at it if 33% of the fans think he's getting too much and 33% think he's getting low balled then it's a spot on value contract. 

12 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

What's disingenuous? The guy has been a mediocre QB is entire career! He played quite well last year and the Jets are tripling his salary guaranteed for 2016! No one else is bidding on him!!

Well that's what you say. He doesn't think of himself as mediocre or Hack's backup in 2017-18. Neither do his teammates. Just pay him then for year 1 starter money and let him walk. 

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Well that's what you say. He doesn't think of himself as mediocre or Hack's backup in 2017-18. Neither do his teammates. Just pay him then for year 1 starter money then and let him walk. 

Ok, so current offer is 3x8=24m, how much would you pay Fitz if you were GM of the Jets?  3x12=36m, 3x18=54m?

4 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

He knows how contracts work. He also knows no one else is going to pay him that much, or even let him start.

The way I look at it if 33% of the fans think he's getting too much and 33% think he's getting low balled then it's a spot on value contract. 

Well he and his agent turned it down. They don't think it's a fair competitive deal in this market. To me it's stupid for the Jets not to increase their offer. Or just give him a one or a two year deal. 

Big Mac should end this charade and reclaim the edge in the standoff by pulling the deal off the table.  Fitz isn't worth it.  Meet with Decker and Marshall and tell them to get with the program and shut up.  Go with Geno, with the youngins in the wings.

Just now, Rangers9 said:

Well that's what you say. He doesn't think of himself as mediocre or Hack's backup in 2017-18. Neither do his teammates. Just pay him then for year 1 starter money then and let him walk. 

It's not what I say, its fact, look at his career. Mac, nor any other competent GM, is not going to overpay for a player that no other team in the league is bidding on. As far as a one year contract, I'm not sure Fitz would go for that.

2 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Ok, so current offer is 3x8=24m, how much would you pay Fitz if you were GM of the Jets?  3x12=36m, 3x18=54m?

I wouldn't give him a 3rd year. I'd give him 2/20 with 14 guaranteed. And incentives if they make the playoffs, make it to the AFC Championship, win the Super Bowl and he makes the Pro Bowl. 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

Well he and his agent turned it down. They don't think it's a fair competitive deal in this market. To me it's stupid for the Jets not to increase their offer. Or just give him a one or a two year deal. 

They didn't think so, but now they've been proven wrong. Obviously no one beat the offer so that makes it competitive by definition. This guy has gone to 5 different horrible teams and been cut 5 times for QBs that were not as good as him because they had more potential. He has little time left and he needs to take this opportunity and make the most of it. He will, and we don't need to pay him extra for his feelings. Tanny might do something like that. 

Mac should go two years $11M guaranteed each and drop the third year.

After Fitz goes 6-10 with a big boy schedule we'll probably regret even the second year.  

No team besides Buffalo kept the bearded blunder for more than two years anyway. 

hi-res-4f321a38491730bb3aa470f6f15471c0_

3 minutes ago, YankeeJet22 said:

Big Mac should end this charade and reclaim the edge in the standoff by pulling the deal off the table.  Fitz isn't worth it.  Meet with Decker and Marshall and tell them to get with the program and shut up.  Go with Geno, with the youngins in the wings.

Agree.

If I were Mac, I would immediately instruct Fitz's agent –- in a way so there is no room for confusion on this point – that the current offer is permanently off the table on June 1st.

Mac needs to impose his will here, as a future lesson for all current and future players who try to screw around with our franchise.

If Fitz doesn't agree to this ultimatum in the next 48 hours, forget about this greedy little second rate aging byatch – unless he wants to crawl back for chump change next season, and then only if loses that ridiculous beard.

1 minute ago, JetsFanatic said:

It's not what I say, its fact, look at his career. Mac, nor any other competent GM, is not going to overpay for a player that no other team in the league is bidding on. As far as a one year contract, I'm not sure Fitz would go for that.

Plus a one year deal definitely wouldn't be for 12mil.  Fitz is only worth 12 to the Jets the first year if he accepts 6mil for two additional years as a backup.

I'd guess the Jets would only offer 8 or 9 max on a one year deal.

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I wouldn't give him a 3rd year. I'd give him 2/20 with 14 guaranteed. And incentives if they make the playoffs, make it to the AFC Championship, win the Super Bowl and he makes the Pro Bowl. 

That's nuts.  So increase the per year offer.  Pay him way too much to be a backup (what he is) and get no years at the cheaper backup rate.  Never gonna happen unless Macc is a complete fool.

7 minutes ago, YankeeJet22 said:

So you're getting rid of your Qb and pissing off your playmakers. Really dumb. 

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I like that too but it sounds like a downgrade if $18M is already guaranteed for two years. 

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

That's nuts.  So increase the per year offer.  Pay him way too much to be a backup (what he is) and get no years at the cheaper backup rate.  Never gonna happen unless Macc is a complete fool.

A guy who starts games isn't a backup. A 2/20 deal saves the Jets 4 mil unless he earns the incentives. In year 3 you start Hack. If Fitz can still start he leaves. 

Archived