Fitzpatrick, Jets Stuck in Tough Spot

JetNation

Just now, Rangers9 said:

A guy who starts games isn't a backup. A 2/20 deal saves the Jets 4 mil unless he earns the incentives. In year 3 you start Hack. If Fitz can still start he leaves. 

Fitz most likely isn't buying into the backup years stuff because he doesn't see himself taking a backup role.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, jetrider said:

I like that too but it sounds like a downgrade if $18M is already guaranteed for two years. 

Look, there have been no reports on guaranteed money in that reported Jets offer. All of the articles I've read have said they don't know. So I don't know where you got the 18 number. 

2 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Fitz most likely isn't buying into the backup years stuff because he doesn't see himself taking a backup role.

If true, he's starting to sound like another great Jet QB debacle.  Tebow.

11 minutes ago, FlaJetsFan said:

Agree.

If I were Mac, I would immediately instruct Fitz's agent –- in a way so there is no room for confusion on this point – that the current offer is permanently off the table on June 1st.

Mac needs to impose his will here, as a future lesson for all current and future players who try to screw around with our franchise.

If Fitz doesn't agree to this ultimatum in the next 48 hours, forget about this greedy little second rate aging byatch – unless he wants to crawl back for chump change next season, and then only if loses that ridiculous beard.

The way he's doing it is just fine. I don't know why everyone is so impatient. Mac didn't set the price the market did. Let Fitz know this isn't personal, and leave the deal there for when he realizes it's a fair price for a stop gap starter. 

He did play well last year especially once everyone got on the same page, and healthy. Then again he did cause those injuries himself, and has a history of doing so. 

He got his own leg broken to set himself back early, then got his own thumb torn. He also set some receivers up to get pummeled. 

Just now, jetrider said:

What makes Mac think Fitz will go for any backup rate after 2016?

What makes anyone think Fitz will be a good mentor for the young guns this year and not a dickhead like Favre was to Rodgers?

The fact that if he doesn't accept the current offer, he definitely will not be a starter in the NFL?

Just now, Rangers9 said:

That's not guaranteed. It's 12+6+6 . But no figures on how much is guaranteed. And he doesn't get the 12 mil unless agrees to the 6+6  which he has refused to accept. 

I know, but assuming those are guaranteed amounts per year your proposed offer would be a downgrade.

Just now, Mike135 said:

The fact that if he doesn't accept the current offer, he definitely will not be a starter in the NFL?

At the rate players are injured and demoted he has to think a starter role can materialize somewhere.

Just now, jetrider said:

At the rate players are injured and demoted he has to think a starter role can materialize somewhere.

That's true.  I meant by choice, no team would start him.  He is definitely a good backup-starter option.

1 minute ago, jetrider said:

I know, but assuming those are guaranteed amounts per year your proposed offer would be a downgrade.

He's not getting the whole contract guaranteed. It doesn't usually work like that. The thing that's misleading is that say the first year at 12 mil is fully guaranteed. He still has to accept the next two years at 6 each. 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

He's not getting the whole contract guaranteed. It doesn't usually work like that. The thing that's misleading is that say the first year at 12 mil is fully guaranteed. He still has to accept the next two years at 6 each. 

Durrr. I know what he has to accept. I thought we're discussing what we recommend.

8 minutes ago, jetrider said:

What makes anyone think Fitz will be a good mentor for the young guns this year and not a dickhead like Favre was to Rodgers?

Well he was a good guy the other 5 times it happened. 

4 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

12 mil will be guaranteed once he starts the first game. 

Yeah, if that's his annual salary for 2016. But he has to take 6mil per for the next 2 years to fulfill his contract.  Unless the Jets cut him. Not sure what the total guaranteed money on that deal is. Anyways he turned it down. It's not a good deal. 

3 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Well he was a good guy the other 5 times it happened. 

The other five times what happened?

He was signed as a backup for every team but Houston who dumped him after one year just like Tennessee did the year before.

Not sure who he mentored.

1 minute ago, jetrider said:

The other five times what happened?

He was signed as a backup for every team but Houston who dumped him after one year just like Tennessee did the year before.

Not sure who he mentored.

Lmao.  It's ridiculous we're being held hostage by Ryan Fitzpatrick.  Ryan.  Fitzpatrick.  Smh.

Macc, end this $hit already.  It's just embarrassing.

7 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Lmao.  It's ridiculous we're being held hostage by Ryan Fitzpatrick.  Ryan.  Fitzpatrick.  Smh.

How? Take it off the table.

Move Hackenberg to the #1 field and get the show on the road.

I think Hack will push Geno better than Petty and vice versa.

5 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

If the end result turns out to be Geno it will be the rear end

5 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Nobody is being held hostage, nobody. Mac wants him back, but is basically saying we can live without you if we have to, that is not being held hostage. Revis held us hostage.

10 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Sad state of affairs a 34 year old journeyman QB is what this off season all about. 

Strategically, Mac has to think big picture, in terms of the whole palette of contracts needed over the next 1 - 3 years.  There are enough lead weight contracts on the roster already.

Tactically, he needs to ensure that any current or future NY Jets player understands that undermining the NY Jets or holding out for ludicrous contracts will not be tolerated.  Players will be compensated fairly, and given every opportunity to excel, but no one player should be allowed to distort normative salary structures for their position and experience level unless we are talking franchise game changers in their prime.

We also need players to focus on their own jobs, not that of management.

If Decker continues to act up, bench him as long as necessary during the '16 season.  Unfortunately his contract is an albatross through 2019.  Hopefully he will soon resume being a pro's pro and get over Fitz.  If not, permanent consequences for him too.

It needs to be understood on a crystal clear basis by all current as well as prospective NYJ players that the current management of the NY Jets is not to be trifled with.

If the bearded byatch needs to be turned into an object lesson to that end, so be it.  It will be for the better good of the team, going forward.

This situation is now approaching a level that could be harmful to the team, and must be dealt with immediately and forcefully by Mac.

25 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Nobody is being held hostage, nobody. Mac wants him back, but is basically saying we can live without you if we have to, that is not being held hostage. Revis held us hostage.

Revis held us hostage when he held out while still under contract. Last year he didn't it was just a stupid move by the owner and GM. And in 2017 his contract still has 7 mil guaranteed left on it, 15 mil total and a 15 mil cap hit. 

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Revis held us hostage when he held out while still under contract. Last year he didn't it was just a stupid move by the owner and GM. And in 2017 his contract still has 7 mil guaranteed left on it, 15 mil total and a 15 mil cap hit. 

Are you really comparing Revis to Fitzpatrick if you are this explains it all. 

11 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Market economics 101 here.  Fitz said he isn't retiring.  So it's either play for the Jets or take less money to play in a system he is less familiar with.  Hmmm I wonder which is the better choice....

He's only got 2 options: Play for the Jets or lie on the couch and call it a career.  He'll go crazy on the couch, especially with all those kids.

Why not get paid like a one percenter and do what he loves in a system he is familiar with?  With teammates that want him back?

He's signing soon.

7 hours ago, jetrider said:

Quote from Bryce Petty, readily available via a Google search:

“With [Fitzpatrick] watching film with me and us getting together on Tuesdays and game-planning together, I can tell you that I would feel confident playing right now,’’ Petty said. “There are so many guys that are not like that — guys who maybe had to learn on their own, so they just feel like everyone should learn it on their own, too.

“Fitz isn’t like that. It’s a pay-it-forward kind of deal. Hopefully, if I have the career that he’s had, I can do that for somebody else.’’

14 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

“Fitz isn’t like that. It’s a pay-it-forward kind of deal. Hopefully, if I have the career that he’s had, I can do that for somebody else.’’

Great to hear he's setting some lofty goals for himself.

Ryan Fitzpatrick nor his agent decide what his market value is. The GM's of the 32 teams do.

Fitz can think he's worth 30 mil a year for all its worth, but unless he's going to retire it dosent matter what he thinks. His worth is his highest offer, which is from the Jets. Take the offer or retire, but stop dragging this nonsense out already. 

8 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Ok, so current offer is 3x8=24m, how much would you pay Fitz if you were GM of the Jets?  3x12=36m, 3x18=54m?

What the Jets should do that might get this resolved is put the future in Fitz hands. Structure the contract like this....

12 mil first year then 6 and 6 for years 2  and 3 . IF Fitz plays very well again and the Jets want him to start in year 2 of the contract Fitz gets the 12 Mil he got in year 1. Rinse and repeat for year 3.

This forces Fitz to control his own destiny, if he plays bad the Jets can put him aside as the back up (or even cut him) and let one of the young kids get a shot. But it might be best to keep him for at least one extra year.

The Jets should make this type of deal because if Fitz does light it up with the added weapons the Jets have and he eclipses what he did last year, they will wind up starting him anyhow, they would be stupid not too.

What this accomplishes is it gives the young kids another year of development and it forces Fitz to EARN his contract each and every year. If Fitz was 28 this would be a stupid deal for him but at 33 it makes total sense for all parties.

The Jets did not go out and sign a bunch of post 30 year old players because they are rebuilding, this team has a good foundation to win now and it would be dreadfully stupid and a waste of money if they don't make this type of offer to Fitz. It would also be very very risky for Macc to try and go with one of the Young kids or Geno Smith because then he's essentially putting his GM career in their hands and its painfully obvious he does not want to do that. IMO if Fitz signs this contract Geno may find himself out the door unless the Jets decide to keep 4 QB's which is very rare these days in the NFL. 

Fitz is banking on the fact Macc feels this way and he's also banking on the fact both the players and the fans love what he brings to this franchise.

Every analyst I see on NFL Net and ESPN and other media outlets are also saying the Jets need to get this done. Don't think for a second Woody is not influenced by this because Im sure a lot of owners are. This now puts the added pressure of not only the players and the fans on Macc but the Media as well. So if Macc lets Fitz walk or Pulls the deal hes certainly putting his career at risk. And yes single moves like this do play a huge part in a GM's career. I think Macc is doing a great job here and I'm not upset at all hes not caving to Fitz demands but maybe at this point he needs to get a little creative rather than turning this into a possible bad publicity situation for him and the organization that certainly does not need it after all the years of horrid QB Play.

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

Great to hear he's setting some lofty goals for himself.

Fitz was a 7th round draft pick who has made millions of dollars coming out of the football factory of Harvard. He is beloved by his teammates and has many others sing the praises of how he's a great human. In a league where the average career is what? Like four years? Fitz has been around 10 plus. While he's had his shares of ups and downs in his career, I'm sure Bryce Petty will take even a sliver of the career and respect that Fitx has had and earned. And so would you.  

What Mac should do to end this if he really wants him is simple. 

Call his agent tomorrow and tell him the offer is now $10mm.  Next week it goes to $8.  Etc.  

Fitz lost the battle in the free market and the Jets left their same offer on the table.  Theoretically his value is lower than it was 4 months ago.  

Archived