Jets' special-teams coach comes from Indy with 500-mph attitude

Gas2No99

Jets' special-teams coach comes from Indy with 500-mph attitude

Rich Cimini

This is Brant Boyer's first season as a lead special-teams coordinator, so there's no guarantee he will be the savior of the New York Jets' sorry special teams. But this much appears certain: He will try to change the culture.

"Part of my philosophy is 500 miles per hour all the time," Boyer said last week in his first interview since being hired away from the Indianapolis Colts in February. "We're going to play snap to whistle and we're going to punch first. That's how I'm going to coach."

Boyer brings intensity to the job, and you can see it -- and hear it -- on the practice field. When he spotted a few young players jogging on the kickoff unit in practice on Wednesday, he made sure they heard about it.

Attitude is such an important part of special teams. You need selfless players willing to turn their bodies into heat-seeking missiles for the good of the team. You need a unit that plays with pride and establishes an identity. Years ago, the Jets had that mentality, but they've been mediocre (at best) since 2012, falling to the bottom of the rankings last season.

Boyer is their fifth special-teams coordinator in five years. His predecessor, Bobby April, 63, near the end of a distinguished career, was an upbeat coach with a grandfatherly demeanor. He was fired after only one season. Boyer, 44, is young and fiery, a former NFL player who has captured the attention of the locker room.

A few takeaways from Boyer's first session with the media:

• He believes the most revealing statistic for special-teams efficiency is average drive start, which illustrates whether a team is winning the field-position battle. Based on that, the Jets weren't so bad last season. Their offense ranked ninth (29.2 yard line) and their defense was 19th (27.8). Hard to believe, right?

• Boyer is looking for a few good men to help instill "attitude and pride" in the unit. He identified three such players, calling them his "Energizer bunnies" -- Erin HendersonRontez Miles and Trevor Reilly.

• He's not a huge fan of the rules that limit contact. "We can't practice in pads," he said. "Even when we do put on pads, you can't have 'em just yard-sale into each other and get people hurt. I mean, it's a joke, so ... especially with the new rules right now, we can't hardly touch each other."

• He's high on rookie punter Lachlan Edwards, a seventh-round pick. "He was one of my favorites in the draft," Boyer said. "He has a big leg and a lot of talent." Edwards is competing against fellow Aussie Tom Hackett, an undrafted rookie, for the punting job.

• Boyer, who spent four seasons as the Colts' assistant special-teams coordinator, spoke glowingly of Colts kicker Adam Vinatieri, 43, a potential Hall of Famer. "His body maintenance is unbelievable," Boyer said. "I don't know if I've ever seen a guy get that many massages, knowing when to kick, knowing when not to kick, getting acupuncture, flying people in to take care of him, watching his diet, knowing exactly what to lift and what not to lift." Boyer hopes to impart some of Vinatieri's longevity secrets to Jets kicker Nick Folk.

He's high on rookie punter Lachlan Edwards, a seventh-round pick. "He was one of my favorites in the draft," Boyer said. "He has a big leg and a lot of talent." Edwards is competing against fellow Aussie Tom Hackett, an undrafted rookie, for the punting job.

I hope this doesn't mean that the punter's job has been decided before camp starts.

I hope it's an open and fair competition. Can't afford to just hand a job to someone w/o earning it.

Hackett's style may not be ideal in a coaches opinion, but all I care about are results!

ST are so important.

Good luck to him. Our special teams could be the difference between 8-8 & 10-6. We lost the Eagles (Sproles punt return) & Bills (Devin Smith fumble) games because of STs! That's 12-4 folks & our 1st division title in god knows when?

Special teams went right down the toilet with the Rex regime. Drafting kids buddies & sh*t. Amazing how the Jets dealt with late round picks & UDFAs. Didn't matter anyway because Rex ruins young players, dude has no idea. This new regime definitely takes every move they make as a serious move. Late round youngsters will get a chance under these men. Hell, Gailey had Amaro on the 3rd team offense. Love it! Produce or someone takes your place. Guys like Peake ect. Have to be excited.

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

He's high on rookie punter Lachlan Edwards, a seventh-round pick. "He was one of my favorites in the draft," Boyer said. "He has a big leg and a lot of talent." Edwards is competing against fellow Aussie Tom Hackett, an undrafted rookie, for the punting job.

I hope this doesn't mean that the punter's job has been decided before camp starts.

I hope it's an open and fair competition. Can't afford to just hand a job to someone w/o earning it.

Hackett's style may not be ideal in a coaches opinion, but all I care about are results!

ST are so important.

I think all this says is why they used a seventh round pick on Lachlan Edwards. I think the pre-season games will determine the winner of this competition. Let the best Aussie win!

I like the intensity Boyer wants to bring to an underperforming unit which HAS to consist of Athletes willing to be Kamikazes.

when you have nothing to lose, you go ALL OUT! So is it any coincidence that 2/3 players he mentioned were a 7th rounder (who was projected to go in the 2nd) and an UDFA out of Indiana U-Pennsylvania? The other a player who was trying to get BACK INTO the NFL after off-field issues. 

Those late round picks & UDFA are the core of your ST units and SET THE TONE & ATTITUDE for the defense coming on the field:

William-Moore-body-slam-1.gif

even the kicker ............

patBOOM.gif

It it has to be a Take No Prisoners demeanor on EVERY Punt & Kickoff coverage unit and hopefully this unit under Boyer can win us a few games instead of lose them like last year. 

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

What were the average drive starts (the special team stat used in the article) from INDY last year? you know, where this guy came from?

Anyone know how to look that stat up? 

This can't be right can it? ( if I'm reading it right it's the "LOS/dr" category ... Said we were 8th & Indy was 20th

certainly felt like we were much $h*ttier than that!

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsoff2015

Although LOS/KO (line of scrimmage following a kickoff ...ranking our ST coverage units I believe) also has us at 8th but Indy at 5th.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsdef2015

certainly higher numbers that it felts like our ST's performed.

15 minutes ago, ljr said:

This can't be right can it? ( if I'm reading it right it's the "LOS/dr" category ... Said we were 8th & Indy was 20th

certainly felt like we were much $h*ttier than that!

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsoff2015

Although LOS/KO (line of scrimmage following a kickoff ...ranking our ST coverage units I believe) also has us at 8th but Indy at 5th.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsdef2015

certainly higher numbers that it felts like our ST's performed.

The more I read that stat chart, the more I got confused, and the more I realized that I don't give a sh*t about special teams in terms of starting a KO drive on the 22.18 yard line versus starting on the 22.45 yard line.  I just want to see the first guy down make the tackle, some effort on returns, a bunch of punts within the five-yard line, and the occasional long field-goal.  If making the players sprint to the practice field gets that done, then I'm all for Boyer.  Even if his first name is Brant. 

2 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

The more I read that stat chart, the more I got confused, and the more I realized that I don't give a sh*t about special teams in terms of starting a KO drive on the 22.18 yard line versus starting on the 22.45 yard line.  I just want to see the first guy down make the tackle, some effort on returns, a bunch of punts within the five-yard line, and the occasional long field-goal.  If making the players sprint to the practice field gets that done, then I'm all for Boyer.  Even if his first name is Brant. 

Amen brother ... Eyeball test our ST were garbage last season ... Happy to see adjustments being made ... Could be the biggest factor in a battle for a playoff spot if Fitz issue gets resolved

2 minutes ago, ljr said:

Amen brother ... Eyeball test our ST were garbage last season ... Happy to see adjustments being made ... Could be the biggest factor in a battle for a playoff spot if Fitz issue gets resolved

I just want you to know, that starting NOW, I'm going to try to (seamlessly) plug a different QB into every topic I participate in, both online and off, whether it Fitz the subject matter or not.  Cause, gawdammit.   

8 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

I just want you to know, that starting NOW, I'm going to try to (seamlessly) plug a different QB into every topic I participate in, both online and off, whether it Fitz the subject matter or not.  Cause, gawdammit.   

Point was ... Unless QB is changed , the special teams play should be the biggest possible impact to our team from 2015 - 2016 ... Naturally if QB is changed ST would fall to the 2nd biggest possible impact

Just now, ljr said:

Point was ... Unless QB is changed , the special teams play should be the biggest possible impact to our team from 2015 - 2016 ... Naturally if QB is changed ST would fall to the 2nd biggest possible impact

Oh I get it.  I thought we were having a special teams conversation. Which would have been unique to the message board right now; which is literally littered with figuratively noth----ing but QB conversations.  Geno what I mean? 

2 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Oh I get it.  I thought we were having a special teams conversation. Which would have been unique to the message board right now; which is literally littered with figuratively noth----ing but QB conversations.  Geno what I mean? 

Yeah, ... Wonder who it was that looked up those Special Teams stats for you which you asked for & either couldn't find or weren't willing to spend the time pulling up to support this noble Special Teams conversation

That's why some stats don't represent reality.  Our ST ranking was fair.  But out ST's sucked eggs.  Why?  Breakdowns.  it only takes one awful shanked punt, missed tackle, or whiffed block to turn the game around.  Average starting position is all well and good, but lack of discipline and inconsistency can cost a game, or, in this case, Bobby April's job.

1 minute ago, ljr said:

Yeah, ... Wonder who it was that looked up those Special Teams stats for you which you asked for & either couldn't find or weren't willing to spend the time pulling up to support this noble Special Teams conversation

You're being Petty. 

Special teams have always been the most underrated aspect of football. Special teams alone cost 2 or 3 games last year. Lack of positive kickoff and punt returns alone last year killed the field position battle for us. 

I like what I'm hearing from this guy but until we see an improved product its a big question mark.

15 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Wasn't it the punt cover that cost us?  Kickoff return/cover is negated by the huge number of touchbacks. Kerley was an adequate punt returner (no matter what the board thinks) but not particularly scary.  He did have a 50+ yarder against Miami.

Good point on the punt coverage teams having been worse ... Def with Quigley shanking them!

as far as Kerley , I 'd forgotten that there was one he didn't fair catch! Lol

2 minutes ago, ljr said:

Good point on the punt coverage teams having been worse ... Def with Quigley shanking them!

as far as Kerley , I 'd forgotten that there was one he didn't fair catch! Lol

Kerley fair caught a decent number (19), but he also had 8 more returns than anybody in the NFL and he was only like 6th in fair catches.  His FC percentage wasn't so high.  People just have that perception from a few years ago when he set the record. Strange thing is that the statistic is not particularly consistent from source to source.

Archived