..some HISTORY,.. James Farrior ~ ~ ~

kelly

When the name James Farrior is spoken in the football world, most people remember his terrific years as part of the Pittsburgh Steelers. There, he was the one of the core members of a championship defense.What the common fan won’t remember is Farrior was the first draft pick of the regime that ultimately changed the course of the Jets franchise from a perennial loser, to a near Super Bowl participant.

Hall of Fame coach Bill Parcells took over for the inept Richie Kotite following a 1-15 disaster of a season in 1996. That year, New York had the first pick in the NFL draft.Obviously, the Jets would’ve preferred to select Peyton Manning out of Tennesee in 1997, but Manning spurned the Jets opting to stay in school for one more season. So, the Jets had to think quickly about what to do with the first overall pick.Instead of staying put and selecting Orlando Pace, a franchise left tackle, Parcells opted to trade the pick to the St. Louis Rams, netting a bevy of draft picks, including the sixth overall pick. But Parcells wasn’t done wheeling a dealing just yet. He then turned around a dealt away the sixth overall pick, eventually Hall of Fame tackle Walter Jones, for the eighth overall pick and an extra fourth round pick.

The Jets selected Farrior, a promising linebacker out of Virginia finally with the eight pick. As great of a coach as Parcells was, he never found an effective way to use Farrior during his five seasons in New York.The Jets ran a classic 3-4 defense under Parcells and his protege Bill Belichick in Farrior’s time with New York, much like the defense that Farrior excelled with in Pittsburgh.

So why didn’t it work in New York?

“It was a lot of pressure on me and being the first pick of the new regime,” Farrior told NJAM back in 2011. “You deal with it as best you can. As a young guy, you got to learn on the fly. And I don’t think I did too bad.”Combine the immense pressure of being a Top-10 pick with the fact that Parcells and Belichick were playing him out of position. . . and Farrior produced mediocre numbers.The Jets miscast Farrior as an outside linebacker in their 3-4 scheme for his first four seasons in the NFL, which netted a combined four and a half sacks and just 146 tackles. It got so bad that Farrior was having trouble seeing the field, sitting behind players such as Dwayne Gordon and Roman Phifer.

“We probably mistakenly had him as an outside linebacker because we had such a dire need,” Parcells told the Pittsburgh Tribune.Finally, in 2001, the Jets changed coaching staffs. With the Parcells regime done after four seasons, and Farrior had his best season. He finished with a team-high 106 tackles and could have made the Pro Bowl.One great season in New York was not enough to keep Farrior in Green and White as he bolted for Pittsburgh and became a mainstay in the Steelers defense.“Once I got here, I felt like everything was stable,” Farrior told CBS New York. “The Rooney Family does a great job of getting people in here to fit within the Steeler mold.”Instead of playing him at outside linebacker like the Jets, the Steelers made Farrior an inside linebacker where he played a role similar to the one that Bart Scott played so well for the Jets.

The subtle change made all of the difference for Farrior.

He would play 10 seasons with the Steelers, winning two Super Bowls (one more than the Jets have in their history) as well as making two Pro Bowl rosters and an All-Pro team.As for Walter Jones and Orlando Pace, the two guys the Jets could’ve had instead of Farrior?Jones is in the Hall of Fame after making nine Pro Bowl’s in 11 seasons with the Seahawks, and Pace was a Hall of Fame finalist in 2015 after being selected to seven Pro Bowls with the St. Louis Rams.

Bill Parcells may have turned the Jets around, but he messed up his first draft in New York.

>     http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/05/31/how-the-jets-turned-down-a-chance-to-draft-orlando-pace-and-walter-jones/

6 minutes ago, kelly said:

Bill Parcells may have turned the Jets around, but he messed up his first draft in New York.

Parcells had an abysmal record of drafting. Great HC but NOT a personnel guy at all. He missed on guys like Rick Terry, Eric Ogbagu, Dorian Boose, Scott Frost and Blake Spence. He did however find several solid o-linemen including Jason Fabini, Randy Thomas, Ryan Young, and David Loverne. Then his 2000 draft brought Pennington, Abraham, Ellis and ugh - the non athletic TE Anthony Becht. He did find Coles in the third round, so maybe he wasn't abysmal, but not great.

8 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Parcells had an abysmal record of drafting. Great HC but NOT a personnel guy at all. He missed on guys like Rick Terry, Eric Ogbagu, Dorian Boose, Scott Frost and Blake Spence. He did however find several solid o-linemen including Jason Fabini, Randy Thomas, Ryan Young, and David Loverne. Then his 2000 draft brought Pennington, Abraham, Ellis and ugh - the non athletic TE Anthony Becht. He did find Coles in the third round, so maybe he wasn't abysmal, but not great.

Parcells was never thinking long term viability. 

Just now, NYs Stepchild said:

Parcells was never thinking long term viability. 

nope, he thought he'd coached 2-3 years here and wanted to win in that timeframe which was why he didn't commit to peyton manning and Peyton went back to UT for his senior season.

That sh*t about Parcells saying he can't guarantee he will draft Manning still pisses me off.

All the Mannings wanted to hear was that the Jets were going to draft Peyton first overall, and he would of came out of college, but instead, Parcells being the idiot that he was, said something stupid and cost the Jets a Super Bowl or two 

51 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

That sh*t about Parcells saying he can't guarantee he will draft Manning still pisses me off.

All the Mannings wanted to hear was that the Jets were going to draft Peyton first overall, and he would of came out of college, but instead, Parcells being the idiot that he was, said something stupid and cost the Jets a Super Bowl or two 

he didn't want him, at that time teams weren't winning w/ rookie QBs(outside of marino in '83) and his plans w/ us were short term.  Look at his drafts, look at the cap situation he left us.  He went for it, got close and left us. 

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

he didn't want him, at that time teams weren't winning w/ rookie QBs(outside of marino in '83) and his plans w/ us were short term.  Look at his drafts, look at the cap situation he left us.  He went for it, got close and left us. 

Everyone knew Manning was the most sure thing coming out at that time, after his rookie season, Manning took the Colts to the playoffs. Manning could of took the Jets to a Super Bowl in 04, because he would of been able to finish drives against the Steelers

Parcells pisses me off till this day. I don't know how anyone can call him anything near being great. He ****ed up with the Manning botch. I don't care if he had one good season here. He ****ed up the long term future. 

36 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

Everyone knew Manning was the most sure thing coming out at that time, after his rookie season, Manning took the Colts to the playoffs. Manning could of took the Jets to a Super Bowl in 04, because he would of been able to finish drives against the Steelers

I think eventually we make it w/ him but a year later at home against pitt he was terrible and sent a much more talented Colts team home so I am not sure he is the difference maker against pitt on the road in 2004 but eventually we would have won one with him.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

I think eventually we make it w/ him but a year later at home against pitt he was terrible and sent a much more talented Colts team home so I am not sure he is the difference maker against pitt on the road in 2004 but eventually we would have won one with him.

He would of won in 04, Chad couldn't finish drives that whole game.

3 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

I don't know how we could say that when a year later against a worse Steeler team at home in the dome he couldn't get it done, he was going to get it done on the road at Pitt?

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I don't know how we could say that when a year later against a worse Steeler team at home in the dome he couldn't get it done, he was going to get it done on the road at Pitt?

That worse Steelers team you are talking about won the SB

4 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

That worse Steelers team you are talking about won the SB

they did but they were still worse.  They didn't have the dynasty Pats to go through in 2005 like they did in 2004.  They were 15-1 in 2004, 11-5 in 2005.

5 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

not exactly. coles was a 1st round talent that slid in the draft due to shop lifting or switching tags in the store, iirc. more like took a shot on coles

Parcells was the perfect example when a sad sack organization can't ever get anything right. Parcells was a mercenary who only cared about today, f*ck tomorrow.

Just imagine if someone like John Elway was in charge at that time, do you for one moment think he'd allow a coach to make that decision with your #1 pick? You don't get many chances to draft a can't miss prospect which Payton was. 6'-5" strong arm, smart, pedigree, and Parcells tells Archie, " sorry, can't guarantee we'd take him". OMFG! 

All of this goes back to ownership. From Hess to Woody. I still absolutely LOVE watching Elways face when Tebow was winning all of those crazy games, he was never impressed. Instead he trades him to the Jets, lol! This Fitz deal will show whether or not we're being run in a way that has our future in mind also, as we all know Fitz has nothing to do with the NY Jets future when Tom Brady hangs em up. 

35 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Parcells was the perfect example when a sad sack organization can't ever get anything right. Parcells was a mercenary who only cared about today, f*ck tomorrow.

Just imagine if someone like John Elway was in charge at that time, do you for one moment think he'd allow a coach to make that decision with your #1 pick? You don't get many chances to draft a can't miss prospect which Payton was. 6'-5" strong arm, smart, pedigree, and Parcells tells Archie, " sorry, can't guarantee we'd take him". OMFG! 

All of this goes back to ownership. From Hess to Woody. I still absolutely LOVE watching Elways face when Tebow was winning all of those crazy games, he was never impressed. Instead he trades him to the Jets, lol! This Fitz deal will show whether or not we're being run in a way that has our future in mind also, as we all know Fitz has nothing to do with the NY Jets future when Tom Brady hangs em up. 

Exactly. even as a coach, Parcells was only effective during the pre salary cap era of football when he could fill his team with his type of players regardless the cost. When forced to coach in the cap era he would buy all the groceries he could get but leave the credit card bill for future coaches/GM's when he'd fall short in the short term. 

9 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Parcells botched all his drafts w/ the Jets(2000 was groh) especially 1997 when he inherited the #1 overall pick and turned it into not much.  all time great coach though.

Parcells was basically the GM in 2000 when he had an epic first couple rounds that basically made us a competitive team up through 2004.  But yeah his drafts sucked he actually turned down Peyton Manning and then Orlando Pace for James friggin Farrior. 

1 hour ago, drdetroit said:

Parcells was basically the GM in 2000 when he had an epic first couple rounds that basically made us a competitive team up through 2004.  But yeah his drafts sucked he actually turned down Peyton Manning and then Orlando Pace for James friggin Farrior. 

You left out Walter Jones.

"You build from the lines back."  If you are counting at home, that is two HOF LTs, 16 pro bowls, 7 first team all pros, 2 all decade team tackles...

Don't get me wrong, Parcells could coach, but he left New England & we've been looking up at them since. Not guaranteeing Archie that he would take Payton was absolutely putting himself ABOVE THE ORGANIZATION! He had no patience for a rookie QB. So when we see a team like the Colts get lucky twice with 2 franchise QBs, you really can look back at the Jets with Parcells & that's the only reason Payton stayed in school & the Colts were able to draft him the next year.

The Jets are the only team during that period who would snubbed a chance at drafting Payton Manning. Talk about a prototypical QB prospect,lol. It's really sad when you think about it. We've witnessed our regime pass on Dan Marino (love the clip where they ask a Jet fan before the pick & he says, "it's gotta be Marino here".) Then we wanted Farve & instead of going after him, Atlanta picked him right before our pick!, then the guy that wanted him goes to GreenBay & trades for him!  WTF, why weren't we trying to trade for him? So, our NY Jets were in position to draft, Dan Marino, Payton Manning & Brett Favre,lol. Hell, even with Geno here I wanted them to draft Teddy Bridgewater. Being in position to draft 3 guys that are top 10 QBs of all time is pretty disheartening, and tells you why we haven't won or been to a Super Bowl in 47 years.

Oh & don't forget Bradway being called RUSSELL BRADWAY. Wilson went in the 3rd round! If you want someone that bad in the 3rd you go get him, it's not like trying to get up into the top 2 picks of the draft. So, Marino, Manning, Favre, Wilson. OMFG!

First time I have heard Farrior was playing out of position so that was interesting, I thought Farrior left because Herm did not run a 3-4, on the flip side Vilma left since Mangini was bringing back the 3-4...  That's on Woody, consistency matters for player development, etc...

Credit coach Bill Parcells for winning the Jets first division title (1998) since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970; the 12–4 record was also the best in Jets history. This success came just two years after the Jets' 1–15 record in 1996 under Richie Kotite, that 98 team went to the AFCCG and was winning at halftime, very impressive to me :)

The Tuna brought winning and respect back to this franchise, and he tried to win one for Hess before he died,  not sure if the focus of his coaching career with he Jets should be just the 97 draft, all rumors and hearsay...

1 minute ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

First time I have heard Farrior was playing out of position so that was interesting, I thought Farrior left because Herm did not run a 3-4, on the flip side Vilma left since Mangini was bringing back the 3-4...  That's on Woody, consistency matters for player development, etc...

Credit coach Bill Parcells for winning the Jets first division title (1998) since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970; the 12–4 record was also the best in Jets history. This success came just two years after the Jets' 1–15 record in 1996 under Richie Kotite, that 98 team went to the AFCCG and was winning at halftime, very impressive to me :)

The Tuna brought winning and respect back to this franchise, and he tried to win one for Hess before he died,  not sure if the focus of his coaching career with he Jets should be just the 97 draft, all rumors and hearsay...

Payton manning and Archie manning and most importantly PAYTON's MOM testified under oath before THE SUPREME COURT that par$ells called Payton up and said MOVE ON SAILOR and that par$ells was the pet rose of the the NFL. You can google it or ask most really knowledgeable jets fans they know

14 hours ago, drdetroit said:

He claims it now but at the time he told everyone he was giving Groh power to make those decisions so I take him at his word in 2000 rather than seeing it work and years later try to take credit.  Obviously he was involved in the process but when you look at it did we really win?  we gave up our best player on offense and Bill Belichick to draft those 4 guys in the 1st rd.  Key won a SB in tampa, BB has won 4.  In the end regardless of who was in charge we ultimately lost.

58 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

he definitely brought credibility back to the organization as a coach and for that I will always be gratetful.  He started a nice run for us, from 1997 to about 2011 we were one of the better teams in the AFC but he was a disaster as a GM.

20 hours ago, Colgateman said:

You realize all the "FATHEAD" hanging Chad fans we still have here?  Calling out Chad just gets them to put their video games down and engage in battle with you.

Playing devil's advocate, in a world of trades such as Herschel Walker, Ricky Williams, hell we even got 2 firsts for Keyshawn Johnson.....Some team could likely have seen Manning as their guy and said we'll give you our next 3 entire drafts. 

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

Playing devil's advocate, in a world of trades such as Herschel Walker, Ricky Williams, hell we even got 2 firsts for Keyshawn Johnson.....Some team could likely have seen Manning as their guy and said we'll give you our next 3 entire drafts. 

for a guy who was always untruthful throughout his career it's interesting that BP couldn't lie to the Mannings and tell them he planned to take him.  we could have gotten a big haul if he didn't want him BUT he also didn't want Peyton to turn into a HOFer and then look foolish for having traded him.

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

You realize all the "FATHEAD" hanging Chad fans we still have here?  Calling out Chad just gets them to put their video games down and engage in battle with you.

yes, that is what you take out of that.  Nothing about playing w/ a more talented Indy team than Chad ever had in NY(and Chad was playing w/ a torn rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder by the way), a year later against lesser Pitt team at HOME he was awful and handed Pitt the game but w/ a lesser talented Jet team against a  better Pitt team on the road Peyton surely would have been the difference:lol:

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

for a guy who was always untruthful throughout his career it's interesting that BP couldn't lie to the Mannings and tell them he planned to take him.  we could have gotten a big haul if he didn't want him BUT he also didn't want Peyton to turn into a HOFer and then look foolish for having traded him.

I gave that consideration as well.  He could have just lied.  It wouldn't be his first time. 

15 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

yes, that is what you take out of that.  Nothing about playing w/ a more talented Indy team than Chad ever had in NY(and Chad was playing w/ a torn rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder by the way), a year later against lesser Pitt team at HOME he was awful and handed Pitt the game but w/ a lesser talented Jet team against a  better Pitt team on the road Peyton surely would have been the difference:lol:

Im sorry I dont look fondly on the CHAD years.  We won very little under his reign.  A few honorable mentions as you and your followers have continually reminded us BUT he is not the QB most people think of as a solid QB to build around.

38 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Im sorry I dont look fondly on the CHAD years.  We won very little under his reign.  A few honorable mentions as you and your followers have continually reminded us BUT he is not the QB most people think of as a solid QB to build around.

It's not even about Chad, it's about the notion that we would have won in 2004 w/ Peyton when Peyton lost w/ a BETTER team in 2005 and homefield advantage.

and on Chad we won the ONLY non Pats div title in the Brady era and one of only 2 AFC East titles in our history and 1 of only 4 div titles period.  when he was healthy we made the playoffs.  It's his fault we had a dynasty team in our division?  if Chad could have stayed healthy we would have won a lot more.  It's Jet luck that we finally had a real franchise QB and he couldn't stay healthy.

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

It's not even about Chad, it's about the notion that we would have won in 2004 w/ Peyton when Peyton lost w/ a BETTER team in 2005 and homefield advantage.

and on Chad we won the ONLY non Pats div title in the Brady era and one of only 2 AFC East titles in our history and 1 of only 4 div titles period.  when he was healthy we made the playoffs.  It's his fault we had a dynasty team in our division?  if Chad could have stayed healthy we would have won a lot more.  It's Jet luck that we finally had a real franchise QB and he couldn't stay healthy.

Is this your living room?

chad.jpg

3 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Don't get me wrong, Chad was an excellent quarterback, it's just that whole game he couldn't finish drives that game, I think we could of won a Super Bowl with Chad if he wasn't made of glass, just imagine Chad Pennington with those 08-10 teams

Archived