Sheldon Richardson ~ ~ ~

kelly

NFL Nation reporters pick a player who needs a change of scenery for all 32 NFL teams.

~ ~ 
nyj.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

New York Jets

Defensive end Sheldon Richardson

Richardson is a talented player, but his four seasons in New York have been marred by two league suspensions (total: five games) and a lack of maturity in his own locker room. He needs a fresh start. So do the Jets, who considered trading him last October at the deadline. Chances are the Jets will restart trade talks later this month. He has one year and $8.1 million left on his contract. -- Rich Cimini

rest of above article :  

>    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/32for32x170213

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So much focus on the FO this season will be on what they do about the Qb situation.  But handling Richardson's situation will also be a big test for them.  Imo they pretty much have to deal him, but other teams know this.  In that situation how can they get decent value in return?  Not easy.

38 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

So much focus on the FO this season will be on what they do about the Qb situation.  But handling Richardson's situation will also be a big test for them.  Imo they pretty much have to deal him, but other teams know this.  In that situation how can they get decent value in return?  Not easy.

The misconception with this situation is that the Jets have to trade this player when in fact the Jets want to trade this player .  If a team actually have an interest in Richardson, acquiring his services will depend on just how interested the team is and how badly the Jets want to rid themselves of this player .  

• 3 weeks later...

Ralph Vacchiano of SNY.tv is reporting that the Cowboys and Jets could pick up their talks from last season and possibly look to move DT Sheldon Richardson to Dallas.

The Jets and Dallas Cowboys reportedly talked about a Sheldon Richardson trade at the deadline last season, so don't be surprised if it happens again.

And if that idea has you perking your ears, Vacchiano also writes that the Cowboys were going to attempt to sign Jason-Pierre Paul, had the Giants let him hit free agency.

The Cowboys, according to a source, were going to try to pry Jason Pierre-Paul away from the Giants if he had become a free agent and they still need a pass rusher. Some of the top ones are franchised, leaving the market [thin].

If the interest in JPP was real, and given that estimates of JPP's market value were in the area $15 million annually, the Cowboys certainly appear to be willing to spend big in free agency to bring in the War Daddy they are looking for. Here's Jerry Jones on ESPN Dallas 103.3 via the Dallas Morning News.

On if he would go out and get a top pass rusher...

Jones: If I have a chance to bring one of these premiere pass rushers, one of these war daddies that takes two to block, if I have a chance to get a player like that - I would...it's not a question of that. It's a question of where is he? And who gives him up if he's a veteran, or where is he in the draft, or where is he anywhere? So, yeah we do need pressure. We're going to try to do something about it.

Could Richardson be Plan B after Cowboys missed out on JPP?

Sheldon Richardson has been on the market for quite a while, and this is not the first time the Cowboys have been linked to Richardson. News broke in early November last year that the Jets were actively shopping Richardson, and it wasn't long before reports emerged that the Jets called the Cowboys to shop Richardson. As it turned out, the Jets' asking price was a first-round draft pick in 2017 or 2018, per a report from the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Since then, Richardson's trade value has taken a dive.

A first-round pick in 2017 or a first-round pick in 2018 was the asking Price, the source said. That was a non-starter for the Cowboys regarding a player they didn’t know if they will keep beyond next season when his contract ran out.

And that was before word came out last week that Richardson was benched by the Jets for the first quarter against the Miami Dolphins for being late to team meetings. The word out now is that it’s a regular occurrence.

If the Jets are trying to dump a bad apple, why would their asking price be so high?

Rich Cimini, Jets beat writer for ESPN, recently elaborated a little further on the trade that never was:

I think some people in the organization might be second-guessing the decision not to trade him to the Cowboys in October before the deadline. The Jets reportedly demanded a first-round pick. I can't swear to this, but I bet the deal would have been completed if the Jets had been willing to accept a second-rounder. Now I'd be surprised if they get that much.

Richardson was the 13th overall pick in the 2013 draft (the Cowboys had him ranked 16th overall on their 2013 draft board), and his NFL career started off well. Richardson was named the 2013 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year, and was named to the Pro Bowl in 2014 after an 8-sack season.

But then things started to come undone. He was suspended at the start of the last two seasons, once failing the league's substance abuse policy, once for violating the off-the-field personal conduct policy. Early in the 2016 season he got into a much publicized fight with Brandon Marshall, was benched late in the season for being late repeatedly, and finished the season with just 1.5 sacks. Not exactly the type of resume teams are looking for in free agency.

The Jets couldn't get anybody to bite on Richardson for a 1st-round pick, and now they'd be lucky if a team gives them 4th-round or maaaaayybe a 3rd-round pick for Richardson. The Jets could choose to keep him, of course, but the trio of Muhammad Wilkerson (signed last year to a five-year, $86 million deal), third-year player Leonard Williams, and Richardson did not work out well last year, so the Jets could be looking to get something while there's still something to be gotten, because they'll lose him next year for nothing (unless you count a possible comp pick in 2019).

Ralph Vacciano explains why there might still be interest from the Cowboys:

Taking a one-year flier on Richardson makes sense for them, coming off a 13-win season and feeling ready for a Super Bowl run. If Richardson works out, they can sign him to a long-term deal. If he gets into trouble or regresses, they owe nothing beyond the $8.069 million for 2017.

In Dallas, Richardson will likely play defensive tackle, and could replace Terrell McClain if McClain leaves for greener pastures. Richardson's natural position is a 3-technique, but at 6-3, 294, he could also rotate all along the D-line.

There is no denying Richardson is very talented, and maybe a change of scenery is just what he needs to live up to his talent. The Cowboys probably wouldn't get a better player with their mid-round picks, and if they pair him with a 1st or 2nd-round defensive end, the just might be able to rebuild their D-line in one go.

What would you be willing to invest for Richardson? If you feel a third is too high, maybe a fourth? Or a fourth and a sixth or seventh? Nothing?

>    http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017/3/6/14833526/cowboys-free-agency-rumors-sheldon-richardson-plan-b-after-cowboys-missed-out-on-jason-pierre-paul?hl=1&noRedirect=1

But in all honesty I'd be calling KC right now, they got torched by Bell in the playoff game, and adding Richardson would really make that team possibly the best D in the AFC, and Sheldon already knows the defense since KC has an old Rex Ryan decipal running their Defense.

18 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

But in all honesty I'd be calling KC right now, they got torched by Bell in the playoff game, and adding Richardson would really make that team possibly the best D in the AFC, and Sheldon already knows the defense since KC has an old Rex Ryan decipal running their Defense.

I think it is funny that people consider Bob Sutton a Rex Ryan disciple.  The ******* guy has been coaching since the 70's and was head coach at Army for all of the 1990's.  He was with the Jets from 2000 on.  Parcells brought him in as part of Groh's staff.  He was Mangini's DC.  Rex actually demoted him to LB coach under Pettine.  

On 6/2/2016 at 11:02 AM, PepPep said:

Along with Richardson the Jets have: Veteran Depth. Mo coming back. L.Williams going into his second year. Young talent at the LB (Lee, Jenkins, Mauldin) position and an up-and-coming star safety in C.Pryor.  

The Jets defense will be SCARY this year.  

Sorry but it was supposed to be scary last year and the year before. I don't know if it was Revis quitting on the team, KC Rogers' and Todd Bowls' idiocy, or both. The Jets need DBs as well as an edge rusher. Calvin Pryor presents a dilemma. He's a better linebacker than he is a safety, yet he's too small to be a full-time linebacker and doesn't have the coverage skills to be a full time safety.

NFL Trade Rumors: Jets eying AJ McCarron, may deal Sheldon Richardson

Could the Jets and Bengals strike a blockbuster trade?

I still don't understand how Sheldon to KC doesn't surface somehow, KC is in dire need of a player like Sheldon to make 1 more push at the SB with A Smith, he went to U of Missouri, from Missouri, still lives in Missouri.

I mean KC just lost Poe?  Got smoked by the Steelers, and LeVeon Bell in the playoffs, I mean it just makes way to much sense for this to not happen, go get KC's 2nd rounder for Sheldon, or lock him up on the cheap now before he gets to play his natural position, and have a monster year.

3 hours ago, kelly said:

NFL Trade Rumors: Jets eying AJ McCarron, may deal Sheldon Richardson

Could the Jets and Bengals strike a blockbuster trade?

That would be great.  I like him better than any of the free agent qbs, he comes cheap for a couple of years, and it could be an honest 3 way qb competition.

14 hours ago, Butterfield said:

That would be great.  I like him better than any of the free agent qbs, he comes cheap for a couple of years, and it could be an honest 3 way qb competition.

agreed !.. at the moment... good deal    :cool:

Trade ? Did someone say trade ? Let's examine this proposal, which involves your beloved New York Jets and the Cincinnati Bengals :

Accepting questions for the Jets mailbag. The team might be quiet, but the fans shouldn't be. Use #jetsmail

@RichCimini #jetsmail Is there any truth to the Jets trying to trade Sheldon Richardson to the Bengals for AJ McCarron? Would it work?

@RichCimini: I realize this is a hot internet rumor, and I can understand why. The Jets probably are interested in trading Sheldon Richardson and his $8 million salary and they need a quarterback. AJ McCarron is entering the final year of his rookie contract and the Bengals will lose him for nothing when he hits free agency next year.Yes, I do think this is something the Jets have looked at. Hey, when you're in their position, you have to examine every option -- i.e. Jay Cutler, Robert Griffin III and Brock Osweiler. If the Jets could get it done without giving up any of their draft picks, yeah, I'm sure they'd consider it.

But here's the catch (or catches): The Bengals would have to sweeten the deal because it doesn't work as a straight-up trade. Let's not lose sight of McCarron's pedigree: He's a former fifth-round draft pick who has thrown only 119 passes in the NFL, plus a playoff start for the injured Andy Dalton. He's a quintessential game manager; there's a reason why he lasted so long in the draft after winning two national championships at Alabama. I don't understand the McCarron infatuation among some fans. The Jets would need to get a draft pick, along with the player, to make it a fair swap.Barring contract extensions, both teams would be taking on risk, as both players could be one-and-done. From the Jets' perspective, they'd have to make him their starter, considering the significance of the trade. Is he ready for that? He has only four career starts, counting the postseason.

So what I'm saying is, yes, this proposed trade has some intriguing elements. Ultimately, it would come down to the Jets' level of conviction on McCarron. If general manager Mike Maccagnan has a higher regard for him than the consensus around the league, he could pull the trigger. But I'd be surprised if he gives up a starting defensive lineman, a former NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year, for a backup quarterback who may or may not be ready for a starting gig. He'd also be giving up on Christian Hackenberg, and I'm not sure he's willing to do that after one year. I think McCarron is more of a Band-Aid than a long-term cure.

>       http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/67424/jets-fans-buzzing-about-sheldon-richardson-for-aj-mccarron-rumor

On 3/7/2017 at 6:00 PM, FTL Jet Fan said:

I am sure Mac will get the best value for Sheldon. What was he expecting a 1st. I am slowly losing faith in Mac. 

Sheldon is kind of like a homeless D lineman these days.  As talented as we know he is, we also know that we cannot make demands.  he does not even start on our line.

15 minutes ago, jack48 said:

Sheldon is kind of like a homeless D lineman these days.  As talented as we know he is, we also know that we cannot make demands.  he does not even start on our line.

What defensive coordinator wouldn't want to have those problems Sheldon,Mo,Williams 

• 2 weeks later...

Todd Bowles will meet reporters at 10:15 a.m. ET Tuesday at the AFC coaches' breakfast, an annual event at the NFL owners' meetings. This will be his first time addressing the media since March 2 at the scouting combine, which was before free agency. A lot has happened.

The five most compelling questions for Bowles :

~ ~ 2. Does Sheldon Richardson have a future with the team ? The Jets almost certainly will try to trade Richardson before or during the draft -- they shopped him last fall -- but they likely will have to confront an unpleasant reality: He's a first-round talent who won't fetch anything better than a third-round pick. He's a twice-suspended player coming off an unproductive year and due to make a guaranteed $8 million in the final year of his contract. Players like that usually don't bring back high picks.

What Bowles should say: He has to be careful because he doesn't want to ruin the team's leverage and turn it into a fire sale. Look for him to dance around this topic.

rest of above article : 

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/67797/jets-todd-bowles-should-declare-open-qb-competition-for-now

• 1 month later...

-- In Sheldon Richardson's mind, where thoughts of self-importance race at 143 mph, he expects to have a bounce-back season because ... wait for the reasons ...

1. Brandon Marshall is gone.

2. He hopes to return to his natural position on the defensive line, the 3-technique tackle.

3. It's a contract year.

The first two are reaches. Let's start with the Marshall situation.

First of all, Richardson's criticism Tuesday of his former New York Jets teammate was unfortunate because all he did was put his toxic relationship with Marshall back in the headlines, dredging up bad memories from last season. Coach Todd Bowles, who is trying to rebuild the locker-room culture, couldn't have been pleased with Richardson's "15 reasons" shot at Marshall. It was a setback for the team and for Richardson, who still hasn't matured into a team leader. It's one of the reasons why the Jets are trying to trade the 26-year-old.

Believe me, Richardson wasn't the only player chafed by Marshall, but it doesn't say much for his mental toughness if he let the antics of one guy drive him to distraction. It smells like an excuse. You can't expect all 53 players in the locker room to be BFFs, but they should be able to overcome petty feuds.The bigger issue, at least from a football standpoint, is how Richardson will be deployed. There's a false narrative, some of it perpetrated by the team, that his production suffered because he was forced to play out of position at linebacker.

Fueling that notion, defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers strongly suggested this week that Richardson's days at linebacker are over, adding, "Really, at the end of the day, he’s a true 3-technique -- and that’s where he needs to play." The 3-technique lines up on the outside shoulder of a guard, the position Warren Sapp made famous.Bowles painted a different picture of Richardson's role, saying, "He played 3-technique last year. He didn’t play outside linebacker for two years. He played his position last year."

So which is it?

Richardson played 618 of his 736 total snaps (84 percent) as a defensive lineman in 2016, logging only 87 snaps (12 percent) as a linebacker, according to ESPN Stats & Information research. Basically, he averaged six plays a game at linebacker, down from 17 snaps in 2015.

In other words, he can't blame his lack of production last season (1.5 sacks) on a radical position switch, although he seems to think that was the case."I haven't played [the 3-technique] for a whole year since I went to the Pro Bowl, so just put a light on that," he said, referring to his eight-sack season in 2014.

Unfortunately, we can't track how many times he lined up as a 3-technique, but the main takeaway is that he was a lineman, not a linebacker, often lining up in an interior position. You can see there isn't a huge disparity in his linebacker snaps from 2014 (Rex Ryan's defense) and last season. The outlier is 2015, when he was used fairly extensively by Rodgers as an outside linebacker late in the season.

"This guy -- I shouldn’t say [he has] a chip on his shoulder -- I think he kind of has something to prove," Rodgers said, perhaps trying to light a motivational fire.When that remark was relayed to Richardson, he shrugged his shoulders.

"I'm proven, honestly," he said. "I just have to get more stats. It's my contract year."

Sigh.

>    http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/68967/debunking-the-myths-surrounding-the-jets-sheldon-richardson

Giants' Damon Harrison to Jets' Sheldon Richardson: 'Get away from the damn microphone'

-- So Damon Harrison, were you surprised by the fact Sheldon Richardson ripped Brandon Marshall again?

"I never heard Sheldon's comments," the Giants' jolly All-Pro defensive tackle said (rather unconvincingly) when asked about what Richardson, his old Jets mate, said about Marshall, his current Giants counterpart and one-time fellow Jet.Everybody in the tri-state area heard Richardson's comments. The guy trended on Twitter, after all. But to play along, a reporter filled Harrison in about how Richardson said there were "15 reasons" why the Jets' locker room is better this season, a clear reference to his long-running beef with the veteran wide receiver.

"Fifteen reasons? Did he name them?"

Harrison was then told Richardson was referring to the fact Marshall wore No. 15 with the Jets (and still does with the Giants).

"Brandon's jersey number? Pretty clever, Sheldon," Harrison said to laughs. "Oh wow. You got to keep the mic away from Sheldon, man. He then hammed it up and looked directly into the assembled cameras, generating even more laughs: "Sheldon, get away from the damn microphone."

End scene.

It's not necessarily a joking matter for the Giants, though. Richardson may just be blowing off steam, but Marshall is no longer a Jet. He is a Giant, and what Richardson - admittedly not a guy with a sterling reputation - said may cause concern for some around here. Harrison said he didn't spend a lot of time with Marshall during their one Jets season together, but he did not seem worried though"Of course, [teammates] ask me all things New York Jets. He's a good guy and a great competitor," Harrison said of Marshall. "And at the end of the day, bottom line, the guy can help us win a Super Bowl, and that's our ultimate goal."

>      http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2017/05/giants_damon_harrison_jets_sheldon_richardson_shou.html#incart_river_index

The New York Jets have been trying to deal defensive end Sheldon Richardson away for some time now but they haven’t found any takers. One of the teams the Jets reportedly attempted to trade with was the Indianapolis Colts.

ESPN’s Rich Cimini reported on Friday that the Jets were shopping Richardson around and the Colts were one of the teams. Obviously, nothing came to fruition and the Jets have yet to find a taker for the 26-year-old defensive end.

The Jets have been looking to trade Richardson to another team in order to get his contract off of the books but their asking price may be too high.Brian Costello of the New York Post reported last month that the Jets were looking for a first-round pick in exchange for Richardson, which is a steep price for a player who hasn’t played a full, 16-game season since 2014, when he was named a Pro Bowler.

Richardson is a big personality inside the locker rooms and his beef with now New York Giants wide receiver Brandon Marshall have been well documented. Those types of characteristics go against what Chris Ballard is looking to build in Indianapolis.Richardson was once considered one of the most exciting players in the league, especially when he won the Rookie Defensive Player of the Year Award in 2013 but off of the field issues have held him back.

It is tough to say how interested the Colts were in Richardson, if they were even interested at all but nothing came of the trade talks and it will likely stay that way as the Jets continue to shop Richardson around.

>     http://coltswire.usatoday.com/2017/05/29/new-york-jets-attempted-trade-sheldon-richardson-indianapolis-colts/

1 minute ago, kelly said:

The New York Jets have been trying to deal defensive end Sheldon Richardson away for some time now but they haven’t found any takers. One of the teams the Jets reportedly attempted to trade with was the Indianapolis Colts.

ESPN’s Rich Cimini reported on Friday that the Jets were shopping Richardson around and the Colts were one of the teams. Obviously, nothing came to fruition and the Jets have yet to find a taker for the 26-year-old defensive end.

The Jets have been looking to trade Richardson to another team in order to get his contract off of the books but their asking price may be too high.Brian Costello of the New York Post reported last month that the Jets were looking for a first-round pick in exchange for Richardson, which is a steep price for a player who hasn’t played a full, 16-game season since 2014, when he was named a Pro Bowler.

Richardson is a big personality inside the locker rooms and his beef with now New York Giants wide receiver Brandon Marshall have been well documented. Those types of characteristics go against what Chris Ballard is looking to build in Indianapolis.Richardson was once considered one of the most exciting players in the league, especially when he won the Rookie Defensive Player of the Year Award in 2013 but off of the field issues have held him back.

It is tough to say how interested the Colts were in Richardson, if they were even interested at all but nothing came of the trade talks and it will likely stay that way as the Jets continue to shop Richardson around.

>     http://coltswire.usatoday.com/2017/05/29/new-york-jets-attempted-trade-sheldon-richardson-indianapolis-colts/

I'd love to know what the Colts offered and what Mac passed on.  There is already 1 rumor a team offered a 2nd round pick and Mac passed like a moron.

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

The Jets' current regime has now dumped three former first-round picks from prior regimes -- DE Quinton Coples (2012), CB Dee Milliner (2013) and Calvin Pryor (2014).  :rolleyes:  Sheldon Richardson  :rolleyes:  (2013) is the next man up, so to speak.

• 2 weeks later...

-- Jets defensive end Sheldon Richardson, who is scheduled to become a free agent after this season, wants no part of mimicking Kevin Durant. 

Richardson said Wednesday at Jets minicamp that he hopes to finish his career with the Jets -- and that he doesn't simply want to chase a championship with an established franchise. 

Durant, of course, has drawn criticism lately for doing that with the Golden State Warriors

"I don't like it personally," Richardson told NJ Advance Media. "But he got a ring out of it. He was already an elite athlete, and he wasn't getting it done where he was at, I guess. So he felt like he needed to leave, and it was his decision. Would I have done that? No, I wouldn't have. It's a little different for me. I wouldn't do it, but I don't blame him for doing it." 

Richardson said the Jets' current tear-down and rebuild attempting has "not at all" impacted his desire to finish his career with the organization that drafted him 13th overall in 2013. "What can I say?" Richardson said. "I have a love-hate relationship with New York. They're the team that drafted me. I wasn't one that pictured myself bouncing from team to team. I still want to be a dominant force. I started here. I want to finish here. That's just how I look at it."I'm just stuck here. I'm not stuck here, but I just like it here. I'm not saying I'm allergic to going anywhere else, but I just love being around here in this organization. I love being the underdog. It's easy to go to an established franchise for a guy in my position and just go chase a ring. But I'd rather try to make one here. I'd love to try to make one [with the Jets]." 

It comes as little surprise that Richardson would say this. But ultimately, most players' decisions in free agency are dictated by money. And there is nothing wrong with that. NFL players have small earning windows in which to maximize their value, while playing a dangerous sport. But the Jets could enter next offseason with about $80 million in salary cap space. Even though they gave defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson a lucrative contract last summer, they can cut him after 2017 and create $11 million in cap space, with $9 million in dead money attached.The Jets have many needs to address outside of their defensive line, which also features a talented, third-year pro, Leonard Williams. Plus, they have attempted to trade Richardson multiple times in recent months.

So while Richardson getting a long-term contract from the Jets next offseason seems unlikely, it is not impossible. A lot depends on how Richardson performs this season, and if he can avoid off-field troubles.Richardson's ultimate goal remains winning a Super Bowl. But he is willing to be patient as the Jets rebuild. They appear very far away, right now, from being a title contender. "I had a 70-year-old guy walk up to me and said he's been a [Jets] season-ticket holder since he was like 25. He said he just wants to see one more [championship] before he goes. Just things of that nature, you hold onto. I got attached a little bit. I'm a longevity guy." 

Richardson is clearly saying all the "right" things as he enters a contract year, even though he insisted this is how he truly feels. 

What matters most -- for Richardson's value entering free agency -- is how he performs this season. After having 3.5 and eight sacks in this first two seasons, when he was NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year and a Pro Bowler, he had five and 1.5 sacks the past two years. Richardson has also been suspended by the NFL in each of the past two seasons (positive marijuana tests in 2015 and a high-speed police chase arrest in 2016). Last season, he was suspended by the Jets for one quarter of a game, due to tardiness issues. And he posted a vulgar Snapchat video that drew criticism from coach Todd Bowles. 

All of those factors have combined to lower Richardson's trade value from what it would've been after 2014, when he looked like a prodigious defensive lineman. He still has time, this season and beyond, to get his career back on track. Will it happen with the Jets, or elsewhere?

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/06/sheldon_richardson_says_he_wont_chase_ring_like_ke.html#incart_river_index

• 2 weeks later...

Could Adam Jones be on his way out in Cincinnati? Will the Eagles' 2014 first-round pick Marcus Smith be on the outside looking in? Could Jacksonville or San Francisco trade veterans who no longer fit ?

NFL Nation reporters pick 32 veterans who might not make 2017 rosters.

~ ~ nyj.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

New York Jets

DT Sheldon Richardson

The Jets won't cut the 2013 first-round pick because they'd have to eat his guaranteed salary ($8.1 million), but a trade remains a possibility. They've been trying to move him for a few months, but his trade value is low. Best-case scenario: Richardson plays well to start the season, and the Jets deal him before the midseason trading deadline. He's in the final season of his rookie contract, which means they will lose him in free agency. -- Rich Cimini

rest of above article : 

>    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/32for32x170628/veterans-roster-bubble-all-32-nfl-teams-2017-offseason

• 1 month later...

The Jets’ willingness to trade Sheldon Richardson for the better part of a year is sheer lunacy by an outfit that needs as much premium talent as it can get these days.

It makes little sense.

It’s downright absurd that an organization devoid of difference makers would be amenable to part with such a special talent, who practices hard during the week and plays harder on Sundays.Richardson isn’t Muhammad Wilkerson, who team insiders say “takes a lot of plays off.”The consensus on One Jets Drive: Richardson eats, breathes and lives football. At 26, he’s only now entering the prime of his career.There’s an important faction within the building that wants Richardson to be a part of the organization’s rebuilding process, but general manager Mike Maccagnan seriously entertained trade offers during the draft.

Sources say that teams tried to low-ball the Jets to land the former Pro Bowl defensive lineman. For the first time, Richardson revealed details of the trade talks this offseason that included suitors that wanted him to play for less than his guaranteed $8.1 million salary as part of a fifth-year option.“It’s a business, bro,” Richardson told the Daily News during a lengthy and open discussion about his future. “There was one team that asked me to take a pay cut ... and it was Seattle. And Washington too. There were a lot of offers. A lot of good offers. You’d be surprised.”

It’s strange to think that the Jets would trade Richardson, the 2013 Defensive Rookie of the Year and 2014 Pro Bowler, during the season or let him walk in free agency given that the organization is hoping to build a young core.Team insiders expressed some level of concern about Richardson’s lax outlook on weight lifting sessions and his outspokenness about playing out of position in the past, but made it clear that it’s smart business to keep your best players. Richardson obviously is one of the team’s most talented players.Richardson’s off-field transgressions (failed marijuana test and high-speed chase) have prompted some to suggest that getting rid of him would be addition by subtraction. That’s laughable.Trading Richardson would be foolish. Trading Richardson for 50 cents on the dollar would be idiocy. Signing Richardson to a long-term deal after this season if he returns to Pro Bowl form makes the most sense regardless of the loaded defensive line that includes Williams and Wilkerson, who could be cut with minimal financial damage if he underperforms in 2017.

Remember, the Jets won 10 games in 2015 partly because of their formidable defensive line.

“That’s their decision,” Richardson said of getting a lucrative long-term contract from the Jets after the season. “Would I pay me? I’d pay me ... I would (keep Williams, Wilkerson and him), because you can save money in other places with a stout defensive line.”Todd Bowles recently said that Richardson is “in a peaceful place” after the turbulence that defined parts of his past two seasons. Richardson is on the doorstep of landing a monster payday if he delivers in 2017, but insists that he doesn’t feel additional pressure to perform so he can cash in.“I play football,” Richardson said. “Been playing it since I was five. No pressure at all ... Cashing in means you’re almost done. I’m still grinding. Even if I do get a big deal, I’m still grinding. Some guys do throw the towel (after they get paid)… I’m not going to do that.”

Richardson’s confidence hasn’t been shaken despite his poor statistical season (1 1/2 sacks, 62 tackles). For a variety of reasons, he knows he’s still a difference maker of the highest order no matter what the 2016 numbers said.“Ask other offensive linemen,” Richardson said with a smile. “You know my opinion. In my opinion, I’m the best defensive lineman in the league. That’s my opinion. You can’t go draft a d-lineman and then ask him to play outside linebacker, middle linebacker all in the same season. It’s just don’t work like that.”People at all levels of the organization will tell you that Richardson is one of the hardest workers on the field. Nobody in the building loves the game more than he does. He doesn’t need or want to prove anything. He didn’t want to prove anything coming out of Missouri four years ago, either.“I ain’t got to prove sh--,” Richardson said. “I didn’t have to prove a damn thing. I knew I was cold. ... I didn’t have to prove nothing.”

Cold ?

“Cold. Tight. Raw. Great. Dominant. Elite,” he continued. “What do you want me to say? I don’t want to toot my own horn. But I knew I was good coming out of college. I knew I was going to be a force to reckon with. Football ain’t changed for me. I learned a little bit more as far as the technique part and how offensive coordinators attack certain defenses. Looking at plays before they develop. I’ve been doing that since high school. Ain’t nothing changed for me. See ball. Hit ball.”Anyone who believes that Richardson’s statistics told his story last season didn’t pay close enough attention. Richardson’s athleticism coupled with a stacked defensive line prompted Bowles to move him around in his defense. The versatile lineman played a little outside linebacker and even inside linebacker.

Defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers said the plan is to keep Richardson at his natural three-technique position (lining up on the outside shoulder of the guard) in 2017, which should cause a statistical spike. Rather than playing outside-in and funneling traffic back inside for his defensive line mates and linebackers to make tackles, Richardson will be playing inside-out again, shooting the gap and causing havoc.“We’ll see, because it ain’t set in stone,” Richardson said of exclusively playing three-technique. “They want me to stay at three-technique, but it ain’t set in stone. That’s what they want to do. But what we got to do to win ... You never know.”No matter what happens, Richardson, who dropped 15 pounds this offseason, remains undaunted by the chatter that he might not finish the season here. He wants to be a part of the solution for this star-crossed franchise. He’ll do his part for as long as he can.

It would be an epic blunder to let him go.

>       http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-sheldon-richardson-best-d-lineman-nfl-article-1.3380917

• 4 weeks later...

The next 72 hours will be critical for general manager Mike Maccagnan, who has two assets that can help improve the future of the New York Jets -- a prime waiver priority (No. 6) and Sheldon Richardson.

What about the present?  Well, you know the deal: The Jets are building for 2018 and beyond, so it would be a surprise if they make a "win-now" move of any significance over the next few days. They're so far down the road to Tanksville that it would be pointless to acquire a short-term asset.

Maccagnan already has made two minor trades this week, and he capitalized on his waiver position by picking up defensive end Kony Ealy after he was cut by the New England Patriots. Six other teams submitted claims for Ealy, who made three sacks for the Carolina Panthers in Super Bowl 50, but the Jets landed him because the priority is based on the 2017 draft order. Ealy isn't a lock to make the team, but he'll get a look as a situational pass-rusher.This will become a trend in the coming days, as Maccagnan will look to churn the roster before (and after) Saturday's cutdown deadline. The most glaring need is for a veteran wide receiver. Right now, the Jets simply don't have enough talent to compete. That will hamper the growth of the offense, not to mention the young quarterbacks when they get a chance to play (and they will get a chance). Scanning the league, receivers such as Sammie Coates, Cody Latimer, Harry Douglas and Jarius Wright could be released.

If Maccagnan wants a long-term solution at receiver, he may have to part with Richardson, their only bargaining chip. He might be the most physically gifted player on the team, but he'll be a free agent after the season and all signs point to him leaving. They can watch him walk next March or try now to get something in return, either a player or draft pick that could help the talent-starved organization after he's gone. They'd only get a 2019 compensatory pick if he bolts as a free agent.The Jets have been trying to trade him for nearly a year and they're still open to it, according to sources. If they're presented with the right offer -- in my opinion, at least a 2018 second-round pick -- they should do the deal. If not, they should renew their efforts at the trading deadline at midseason.

Richardson is having an excellent preseason -- the New York Giants couldn't block him -- but he still chafes people in the organization with his occasional lapses of immaturity. His recent bashing of former teammate Brandon Marshalldidn't sit well with coach Todd Bowles, who was furious. Richardson is on double, not-so-secret probation. One more outburst, and there will be consequences.Richardson's reputation, coupled with his guaranteed salary ($8 million), hurts his trade value. But if the Jets can find a team desperate for defensive line help -- paging the Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins -- a trade might be doable. The Jets have talent and depth on the defensive line, especially if Ealy works out. They could withstand the hit.

These next few days could get crazy. Other than Leonard Williams and some recent high draft picks, there are no untouchables on the roster. Most of them were swept out in the offseason, but any holdover with a big salary (Buster Skrine) or age (Matt Forte and Steve McLendon) or injury issues (Lorenzo Mauldin) could be in trouble. Forte, 31, is on the trading block, the NFL Network reported.

These next few days belong to Maccagnan. Let's see what he can do.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/70774/sheldon-richardson-in-play-as-jets-look-to-continue-roster-overhaul

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

Jets coach Todd Bowles, commenting for the first time on the Sheldon Richardson trade, called its "a business decision" that was "good for both parties." He believes the trade will help them in the short and long term. Asked how he'd replace Richardson's snaps, he said, "You don't replace a guy like that, you just do different things."

Archived