Would you...

Jets1Fan

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, my first indication is "no" given his age, but Philip Rivers would be a huge upgrade. I just dont know how long he'll be good. I guess it could be a Peyton Manning scenario, expect to get 3 solid years out of the position while molding his replacement.

Thats a good question actually. 

Not a chance in the world, Rivers is one of the most overrated QBs in league history.  he stepped into the perfect situation in SD w/ a team ready to win SBs and he only made ONE conf title game and that one he made after he got hurt and his backup led the GW TD drive to get them there.  I'd rather try w/ the young guys than overpay for an overrated vet.

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Not a chance in the world, Rivers is one of the most overrated QBs in league history.  he stepped into the perfect situation in SD w/ a team ready to win SBs and he only made ONE conf title game and that one he made after he got hurt and his backup led the GW TD drive to get them there.  I'd rather try w/ the young guys than overpay for an overrated vet.

He's one of the more productive QB's in the league. Sure, he had good situation from 2006-08, but since then the Chargers havent scared anyone because they never really replaced the talent out there. 

Rivers has averaged over 4000 yards and like 25 TD's a year for the past decade, and his playoff stats arent bad as well. Those early Shawne Merriman years quickly went bust after they thought he would be the franchise replacement of guys like Donnie Edwards and Junior Seau. Antonio Cromartie left after the 09 season. 

I couldnt tell you the last time the Chargers had a defense to looked remotely special. I couldnt tell you the guys they replenished as targets for Rivers either. Yeah they drafted that WR a few years ago in the 3rd round (forgot his name) but isnt he injured all the time? They never replaced Vincent Jackson. They never replaced Ladanian Tomlinson. 

Rivers is out there by himself right now...and they're JUST NOW addressing his offensive line. 

Trading Wilkerson for three years of Rivers would be better than resigning Fitzpatrick or seeing what Geno could do. My impulse feeling was no, but now after thinking about it I would take a shot if it was possible. 

Sanchez > Rivers

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

He's one of the more productive QB's in the league. Sure, he had good situation from 2006-08, but since then the Chargers havent scared anyone because they never really replaced the talent out there. 

Rivers has averaged over 4000 yards and like 25 TD's a year for the past decade, and his playoff stats arent bad as well. Those early Shawne Merriman years quickly went bust after they thought he would be the franchise replacement of guys like Donnie Edwards and Junior Seau. Antonio Cromartie left after the 09 season. 

I couldnt tell you the last time the Chargers had a defense to looked remotely special. I couldnt tell you the guys they replenished as targets for Rivers either. Yeah they drafted that WR a few years ago in the 3rd round (forgot his name) but isnt he injured all the time? They never replaced Vincent Jackson. They never replaced Ladanian Tomlinson. 

Rivers is out there by himself right now...and they're JUST NOW addressing his offensive line. 

Trading Wilkerson for three years of Rivers would be better than resigning Fitzpatrick or seeing what Geno could do. My impulse feeling was no, but now after thinking about it I would take a shot if it was possible. 

he's a #s guy and nothing more, he's not a winner.  excellent #s but put him in a big game and he's Peyton manning jr.

Rivers still has plenty of talent around him, it's not like the loaded teams of the mid/late 00s but he still has plenty of talent around him.

I would never waste an asset like Mo for someone like Rivers. 

he was in the 2009 div rd game.  

Sanchez was 12/23, 100 yards, INT and a QB rating of 60.1 in that game.

If an All-Pro kicker doesn't miss 3 chip shot FG's, Sanchez would have been crushed for that pathetic performance.

You need to find a different game to support your guy. This was not one of them.

8 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

he's a #s guy and nothing more, he's not a winner.  excellent #s but put him in a big game and he's Peyton manning jr.

Rivers still has plenty of talent around him, it's not like the loaded teams of the mid/late 00s but he still has plenty of talent around him.

I would never waste an asset like Mo for someone like Rivers. 

He's a better winner than what we currently have, and he's done it was less than what we currently have. I'd take a 3 year crack at that. 

It's not like you're going to get an Aaron Rodgers for Mo Wilk. I'd take a very good Phillip Rivers for 3 years for a Wilkerson that wont be a Jet this time next year. 

7 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

What makes you think Rivers is even available? If he was I would still say no, because he hasn't done much of anything in the playoffs. Heck, Mark Sanchez beat him in the playoffs didn't he?

Merely conjecture. Not saying he's available, even though they might value Mo and a high round draft pick since they may be moving to a new city, and in my opinion a new city means a new QB is needed. I was more looking at this JETS team and thinking that we're so f-ing close to being a true contender with a true franchise qb...

3 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Sanchez was 12/23, 100 yards, INT and a QB rating of 60.1 in that game.

If an All-Pro kicker doesn't miss 3 chip shot FG's, Sanchez would have been crushed for that pathetic performance.

You need to find a different game to support your guy. This was not one of them.

and as a rookie he was better than the veteran Rivers who had more talent around him.  #s don't always tell the story, we got a lead and ran the ball late but the game turned on a Philip Rivers INT which Mark converted into a TD.

58 yd FGs are chip shots now?

this was definitely one of the games to defend him, he played much better than the #s indicate and better than Rivers.  we had a conservative gameplan as a huge underdog on the road against the AFC's hottest team and the team many considered the favorite.  

at the time Mark threw his last pass to get to 12/23 100 yds Rivers had 29 attempts and only 189 yds while leading his O to 7 pts.

you are better than this just to look at #s out of context, Mark made 2-3 huge plays for us and Rivers made the big mistakes.

9 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Yup.

Of course you'd prefer to grow a franchise QB and have him for 10-15 years.  But with the team we have, Rivers would make us instant contenders.  Can't pass on that.

Rivers never made his ultra talented Charger teams contenders. 

8 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

He's a better winner than what we currently have, and he's done it was less than what we currently have. I'd take a 3 year crack at that. 

It's not like you're going to get an Aaron Rodgers for Mo Wilk. I'd take a very good Phillip Rivers for 3 years for a Wilkerson that wont be a Jet this time next year. 

he hasn't done it w/ less than what we currently have, those Charger teams his first 5-7 years were SB teams that never made it b/c of the QB.  I am not a Rivers fan.

Just now, nyjunc said:

he hasn't done it w/ less than what we currently have, those Charger teams his first 5-7 years were SB teams that never made it b/c of the QB.  I am not a Rivers fan.

There's a reason Eli didn't want to go to SD.  They seem content to occasionally field fun teams but not really build a winner.  This Jets roster can win with a legit QB.  Look what it did with Fitzpatrick.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

I definitely see both sides of the argument, hence the post, but I just truly wonder what it would be like to have a f-ing franchise qb for once in my 32 year old lifetime, especially with this wr corps and newly acquired rb weapons. Just a pipe dream I guess

Just now, Jets1Fan said:

I definitely see both sides of the argument, hence the post, but I just truly wonder what it would be like to have a f-ing franchise qb for once in my 32 year old lifetime, especially with this wr corps and newly acquired rb weapons. Just a pipe dream I guess

AND FOR THE RECORD, I LOVE MO. IF I COULD PAY FOR HIM TO STAY HERE FOR THE NEXT 5-7 YEARS, I WOULD, I JUST DON'T THINK THE JETS BRASS VALUE HIM LIKE WE ALL DO

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

There's a reason Eli didn't want to go to SD.  They seem content to occasionally field fun teams but not really build a winner.  This Jets roster can win with a legit QB.  Look what it did with Fitzpatrick.

Eli wanted to be in NY, SD built a winner.  if they kept Brees they would have had a SB.  the average team Rivers has played with was more talented than the 2015 Jets.

Just now, Jets1Fan said:

we all want a true franchise guy, I like the way you are thinking I just don't like Rivers.  I could be wrong?  but I have seen this guy gag far too often in big spots.

Eli wanted to be in NY, SD built a winner.  if they kept Brees they would have had a SB.  the average team Rivers has played with was more talented than the 2015 Jets.

Fantasy talent... maybe.  Not even sure about that.  But overall team, no I don't think so.

Just now, Mike135 said:

Fantasy talent... maybe.  Not even sure about that.  But overall team, no I don't think so.

those teams were loaded and in their primes.  if Rivers played here and we watched him every snap we'd be talking about him like we talk about Fitz.

those teams were loaded and in their primes.  if Rivers played here and we watched him every snap we'd be talking about him like we talk about Fitz.

Could be true.  Except that didn't happen.  The Chargers have had the luxury of a top notch QB for a while and have built teams accordingly (and incorrectly).  The Jets on the other hand have been forced to build a team good enough to win in a passing league in spite of our QB.  

A quick swap to a legit top 15 (perhaps top 10) QB would make us instant contenders.

41 minutes ago, Jets1Fan said:

Trade Mo and a 2nd Round Draft Pick for Phillip Rivers.

I feel like if we had a franchise QB with this team, we could make a very deep run, possibly towards a SB. Have I been drinking too much?? lol

You give out neg rep because people don't like this trade scenario? Interesting.

I politely disagree (even though politeness isn't in our Jets genes). If Rivers played here after being drafted I think we all would have stopped complaining about not having a ring in our lifetimes. 

I guess this just shows my frustrations with the franchise that I love with respect to QB's. The fact that NE stumbles on f-ing Brady, doesn't help my QB heartburn

Just now, Mike135 said:

Could be true.  Except that didn't happen.  The Chargers have had the luxury of a top notch QB for a while and have built teams accordingly (and incorrectly).  The Jets on the other hand have been forced to build a team good enough to win in a passing league in spite of our QB.  

A quick swap to a legit top 15 (perhaps top 10) QB would make us instant contenders.

SD still has talent, much more than we had 2012-2014, but in the mid 00s to early 10s they had ELITE talent and Rivers in his prime yet only got close to a SB once which was when Rivers got hurt and the backup led the GW TD drive to get them there.  if he couldn't win in his prime w/ all that talent why would he win here late in his career?

you are better than this just to look at #s out of context, Mark made 2-3 huge plays for us and Rivers made the big mistakes.

Relax, I'm just messing with you because of his overall stat line.

As a rookie QB, he did exactly what he needed to do to win the football game.

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:

You give out neg rep because people don't like this trade scenario? Interesting.

Sh*t. I messed up. Not trying to give bad rep. I thought those icons were more related to whether or not I agreed with the comments. 100% my bad. Completely unintentional. 

SD still has talent, much more than we had 2012-2014, but in the mid 00s to early 10s they had ELITE talent and Rivers in his prime yet only got close to a SB once which was when Rivers got hurt and the backup led the GW TD drive to get them there.  if he couldn't win in his prime w/ all that talent why would he win here late in his career?

Monmouth University has more talent than our 2012-2014 teams did.  Agree with ya there.

He'd win here because the team would allow him to.  Again, look what happened last year with Fitz.  A guy who going into 2015 would have probably been ranked the 40th to 50th best QB in the league.

Rivers now would probably still fall in most top 15s.

16 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Relax, I'm just messing with you because of his overall stat line.

As a rookie QB, he did exactly what he needed to do to win the football game.

I am very relaxed I just like to argue:D

12 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Monmouth University has more talent than our 2012-2014 teams did.  Agree with ya there.

He'd win here because the team would allow him to.  Again, look what happened last year with Fitz.  A guy who going into 2015 would have probably been ranked the 40th to 50th best QB in the league.

Rivers now would probably still fall in most top 15s.

everything broke perfect for Fitz and he still fell short just s everything broke perfect for Rivers in the 00s and he still fell short.

I am very relaxed I just like to argue:D

everything broke perfect for Fitz and he still fell short just s everything broke perfect for Rivers in the 00s and he still fell short.

But Rivers is a legit top notch starting QB.  Fitz is a legit top notch backup QB.

Just now, Mike135 said:

But Rivers is a legit top notch starting QB.  Fitz is a legit top notch backup QB.

I disagree with the Rivers part.  he's a solid starting QB, I don't think Rivers is a top notch starting QB, top notch starting QBs win.

I disagree with the Rivers part.  he's a solid starting QB, I don't think Rivers is a top notch starting QB, top notch starting QBs win.

Agreed.  Though many "experts" would still have him ranked top 15.  Way better than anything we have by a mile.

55 minutes ago, Jets1Fan said:

Merely conjecture. Not saying he's available, even though they might value Mo and a high round draft pick since they may be moving to a new city, and in my opinion a new city means a new QB is needed. I was more looking at this JETS team and thinking that we're so f-ing close to being a true contender with a true franchise qb...

I think it would take more than Mo and a 2nd rounder honestly.

That said I wouldn't do it. Rivers is an upgrade but he seems like he will always through a big INT. Good fantasy football QB though. :)

Archived