What young Jets players will make a huge impact this season?

Villain The Foe

Alot of talk about the Jets but very little talked about players outside of the QB position. 

The guys that I think that will take great strides in their young careers to better the team are. 

Defense

#1. Calvin Pryor. I heard some good things reported on about Pryor, especially him being more vocal during this years OTA's. Seems like in his 3rd year he's beginning to take on a leadership role. 

#2. Marcus Williams. I think Williams was an awesome find by the Idzik crew. He was the best CB during that horrid 2014 season and he had a very good 2015 season in limited action. I think he'll be a fine #2 opposite Revis and will be an upgrade over Cromartie. 

#3. Leonard Williams. He's a beast. Nothing more needs to be said. 

#4. Lorenzo Mauldin. Jets and their fans have been very concerned about their pass rusher spot. I think Mauldin can be an above average pass rusher and will prove that this season. 

Offense

#1. Brian Winters. I start off with Brian because fans first began mentioning him after that 1st Dolphins game when he dominated Suh in 1-on-1 action. Some may have thought that it was just "1 good game". During the Jets second meeting, Winters did it again. I think Winters could secure the RG position and have a very respectable season protect the QB. Though I think the jets may be running to the left more often behind James carpenter. 

#2. Bilal Powell. I think Forte being added to the fold will do wonders for Powell because teams will key on Forte. Implementing a Two RB backfield on passing downs could really open things up for Powell even more in the passing game. 

#3. Jace Amaro. The Jets were the worst team last season with passes to the tight end, they ranked 31st in the league in passes converted in-between the hashes. Jace Amaro, love him or hate him is a presence down the seams. I expect the Jets to implement more of Jace Amaro to open up the middle of the field as well as underneath the wideouts. Jace needs to establish consistency catching the ball. 

#4. Quincy Enunwa. Quincy was pretty exciting given his new found H-Back skillset and blocking ability. The guy is a physical wide receiver that can be used all over the field. I expect the Jets to take advantage of that for as long as Enunwa maintains consistency with his hands. 

Specials

Jalin Marshall. Though he's an obvious rookie, specials was terrible when it came to returning kicks. Marshall has a shot to change that. 

Rontez Miles. I think Miles will provide a huge impact on Specials. 

I think these guys more than anyone else (along with excluding the potential QB change) could provide a great surge to the Jets. 

Thoughts? 

21 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Brian Winters could very easily lose his job. This front office did not draft him, but they did draft Harrison and Shell. They also really like Qvale. 

It's not clear that this player has a champion anymore. 

This front office didnt draft him, at the same time though I have no idea what Jarvis Harrison or Brandon Shell are as football players. They all will be competing for that right side of the line though so you could have a point here. 

this subject was addressed earlier, and for D on the upside my vote goes to Mauldin, although I have no reason to expect anything less than a very good even great season from Pryor.    Mauldin showed so much as the last season wound down. 

On the negative side on D I question the high expectations for Marcus Williams.  Yea if you read his stats he sounds great, but I question from watching him whether he can get it done in man coverage with his back to the Qb. 

On O I would love to think Winters and Enunwa will both become major contributors, but I can't predict that based on last season.  Winters more likely will be lucky to make the team and perhaps start, but as a strong starter?  Not likely.  And Enunwa had a great opportunity to step up as the third wideout last year what with the CS unhappy with Kerley, D Smith hurt, and no contribution from TE leaving 3rd wideout a real need to step up.  And he did show some flashes of ability.  But he dropped some passes, too.  I frankly think Thompkins might pass him on the depth chart.  No, the main young guy I expect to upgrade his contribution is Amaro, and possibly Qvale.

29 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Brian Winters could very easily lose his job. This front office did not draft him, but they did draft Harrison and Shell. They also really like Qvale. 

It's not clear that this player has a champion anymore. 

I dunno, the organization has been touting the potential of Qvale for some time now. The fact that they've switched him around twice and he's starting the year off 3rd at both RG and RT when both those positions are ripe for the taking doesn't say much. I actually don't hate Winters as much as I used to, but it's not going to make any sense to pay him and they sure as hell don't want to keep paying Breno. It just seems like we've been waiting for both Qvale and Dozier to step up for a little while now and they haven't.

43 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Alot of talk about the Jets but very little talked about players outside of the QB position. 

LOL, I've been saying for weeks that you've proliferating the redundant, and inane, QB bickering. 

Thank you for letting it finally sink in. Good topic.

I said after the draft last year that Mauldin would be a fan favorite by season's end. I'm going to suggest the same thing about Jordan Jenkins and Darron Lee. If we can get our combination of young, fast LBers to augment the DL in getting to the QB, our defense has a high enough ceiling to be as good as that Broncos D that won the SB last year.

The less obvious prediction might be on the OL. Maybe not young, in terms of years in the league, but "young" in terms of starting experience. I think Brent Qvale ends up playing tackle for us this year, and doing a respectable job.

Going over this roster... this team should be pretty darn good, regardless of the QB. 

I think we're in for a treat regarding our young LBs this year starting with Mauldin. It may not happen right out of the gate but as the season progresses for Lee & Jenkins.

Mauldin, Lee & Jenkins. All three came out of college with reputations of being relentless high motor character players, but all three are very talented. All three of these guys will be the beneficiaries of playing behind Mo, Leo & Sheldon, three top defensive lineman. Even McClendon will benefit playing with those 3 monsters. 

Jets with Macc have finally revamped the LB core & it's been a long time coming.

2 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Let's not forget whoever wins the job at punter -punters are people too! :-)

Whoever wins that battle could have quite the impact this year.

The guy who runs around & punts intrigues me. How much fun would that be seeing returners trying to figure out where to line up?

29 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Let's not forget whoever wins the job at punter -punters are people too! :-)

Whoever wins that battle could have quite the impact this year.

This is very true. The punt game of the Jets in 2015 cost them many times and probably a few games.

1 hour ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Mauldin is going to breakout.  

Miliner is going to start the season as the number 2.  If he stays healthy, I know big if, he will have a good year. 

He'll probably start out as #4 and will get a chance to get some actual playing time, but Burris probably overtakes him in that role at some point. It didn't seem like he really caught the coaching staff's eye last season.

2 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Miliner is going to start the season as the number 2.  If he stays healthy, I know big if, he will have a good year. 

Milliner's potential has never been an issue. If he stays healthy this could end up being a great call by you. 

I'd give it to Williams just based on actual on field production, but if Milliner can pick up from his rookie December performance that could be a problem for our opponents. 

The defense is either really young or just young outside of Revis, Harris, and a couple rotational DL guys so easy to I will go with the defense. STs seems like they will be a younger, faster group. No comment on the offense since they will probably ruin everything.

1 hour ago, Shadetree said:

I'm gonna go with mcdougal...cuz ima believer!!!

FAAAAAR greater chance of this than glass man Milliner. I don't see him making it out of preseason. 3/4 of game one at best. 

Biggest dead weight on the team. Waste of a roster spot. 

Defense: Pryor, Williams and Maudlin are all going to take big steps forward.

Offense: Powell is going to look like lightening compared to Forte out there. I'd love to say Amaro but I just dont know.  Hopefully Peake or Smith.

Just now, JiF said:

Defense: Pryor, Williams and Maudlin are all going to take big steps forward.

Offense: Powell is going to look like lightening compared to Forte out there. I'd love to say Amaro but I just dont know.  Hopefully Peake or Smith.

Not a fan of Forte? 

Just now, Hitman Harris said:

Not a fan of Forte? 

No.  I love Forte.  I think he's a great player because he's a smart, hard working, versatile, wily vet.   But he's never been a burner and Powell seemed like he was playing much faster last year when healthy so I think he's going to look much faster than Forte. 

25 minutes ago, JiF said:

No.  I love Forte.  I think he's a great player because he's a smart, hard working, versatile, wily vet.   But he's never been a burner and Powell seemed like he was playing much faster last year when healthy so I think he's going to look much faster than Forte. 

Powell ran 4.51 forty, 1.53 ten at his Pro Day. Forte ran 4.44 and 1.49 at the 2008 Combine.

them's, the facts

52 minutes ago, hmhertz said:

Powell ran 4.51 forty, 1.53 ten at his Pro Day. Forte ran 4.44 and 1.49 at the 2008 Combine.

them's, the facts

2008 was 8 years ago.   8 years of taking hits will tend to slow most people down.

6 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

That is a big statement and it would be good I think if it happened, but I don't see it. He is so far away from the # 2 spot right now and would have to pass Skrine and Williams.

I think Milliner staying healthy through camp and starting off slow this season, then staying healthy all year would be the upside. He has the talent. He has to stay on the field.

Archived