Swimming pool owners lets hear the pros and cons.

joewilly12

Took an above ground pool down a few years ago now the wife,college aged kids their friends neighbors all want to spit on my grave being that its been hotter than hell in N.J as of late. 

For those that have inground pools are they worth the overall investment. 

Wife wants to put something back like the one pictured in a salt water version. 

Keep cool everybody in the pool. 

atlas-in-ground-pool.JPG

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you like having people over?

Are you staying in your house for at least 5+ more years?

Can you afford an extra 150 a month for stuff that goes wrong/cleaning?

If you can, it's awesome.   I love having a pool.  Memorial Day, labor day, 4th of July, random Sunday, great parties.  If you are staying there long term, eventually the grand kids will be there. 

If you aren't staying, when you sell the house, you get back about 50% of the cost of the pool, so if you spend 40K, you add 20K in value.

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

If you do, go with the salt system instead of dumping chlorine into the thing constantly.

salt systems are kinda on the outs.  You still need to shock the pool once a week, and they basically just separate the sodium from the chlorine, so they are actually dumping chlorine in the pool constantly. They tend to corrode the crap out of everything and adding the salt can be tricky for newbs

they are a little better than the old dropping tabs in  the chlorinator trick, but when the cells start to fade its break out the check book again

14 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Salt water pools seems to be the new trend many say they are easier and cheaper to maintain. 

I would question the salt water effect on the filter and entire system. 

Going to be a long drawn out decision. 

salt water pools are like the ocean, high in salt content, but without the generator to make chlorine.  They are typically used by people with severe skin conditions as therapy

you mean salt generator system.  Don't get it.  its a simple decision.  Get the off-line hayward chlorinator that has the feeder lines, not the "in-line" kind.  Salt generators will corrode all the metal in the pool and your heater.  it takes 2 minutes a week to drop a few tabs in it and adjust the output if needed

they were the new trend 5 years ago, now people are seeing what living with them for 5 years means and it means more bills

buy all of your chemicals at once to get a volume discount and shop around

people try to cheap out on not shocking with generators and you get a build up of chloramines, and that is what hurts your eyes.  You may even get a phosphate problem

there is no better water sanitizer on gods green earth then sodium hypochorite. Every fancy system to come out, even ionizers, say right in the instructions, "shock weekly"

just do it

here's the thing most owners don't know about.  Cyanuric acid.  chlorine stabilizer.  add it every year when you open, you will use a lot less chlorine

but you still have to shock weekly

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Larz do you have a pool?  You seem very knowledgeable and I appreciate your input and help. Thanks 

my parents had one, I took care of it, and I did it as a summer job way back when,  I work on heaters for some of my customers and it always comes up in conversation. pool heaters around here last 8 years and everybody is always looking for ways to make them last.  I was talking to a heater warranty rep in May and he told me they hate the generators so I looked into it. 

Just now, Larz said:

my parents had one, and I did it as a summer job way back when,  I work on heaters for some of my customers and it always comes up in conversation. pool heaters around here last 8 years and everybody is always looking for ways to make them last.  I was talking to a heater warranty rep in May and he told me they hate the generators so I looked into it. 

No heater in the plans here i will rely on the sun. 

19 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

$150 a month for what?  Cost to run the filter?  Chemicals?  

Electric, water, chemicals, something breaking once a year on the filter, filter replace. 

Some months less, once in a while more.  Maybe a little less up there, then down here (I live in Texas)

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Met with a pool company tonight I'm ruling a salt water pool out at this current time. 

Pros and cons, but salt water are on their way out.  I have one, it's fine, but if I had it to do over again, I don't know that I would have gone that route. 

But the pool in general, as long as you are going to be in that house for a while, it's great.

I had a great pool when i first move to fl. Pre divorce.......you get the idea.

Anyways despite the warning i found the pool to bean absolute pleasure in every way. Even cleaning was fun. Blasted out the tunes, smoke a fatty, waded theough and cleaned up.I loved It.

Get a pool. Salt water pools are good. Its just a small salt content not like the sea. Pool parts are generally cheap plasticy things.

Go for it

A pump costs 300 bucks. A filter system isaybe the same if you are handy you can cut the pvc and reintall a new one with stuff from home depot. Ots just plastic crap and primer and glue. Its not expensive as long as the concrete structure is sound youre good.

Pools are simplemachines. Water gets sucked out, passws theough a filter picks up chlorine perhaps and is pumped back in. Its not rocket science.

Even a heater is simple. Like i said if your handy and havebasic manly mechanical knowlege its nothing. If youve changed started alternators qater pumps and have done basic plumbing its almost a joke.

On June 12, 2016 at 11:26 AM, joewilly12 said:

Took an above ground pool down a few years ago now the wife,college aged kids their friends neighbors all want to spit on my grave being that its been hotter than hell in N.J as of late. 

For those that have inground pools are they worth the overall investment. 

Wife wants to put something back like the one pictured in a salt water version. 

Keep cool everybody in the pool. 

atlas-in-ground-pool.JPG

The quality of your investment depends 100% on where you put the pool. The pic above is a good example of what NOT to do; install a pool near trees.

Reasons:

• Pool will always be dirty. Trees drop stuff nonstop. You'll spend more time cleaning it than enjoying it. Pool area will stay clean long enough for your camera, maybe.

• Water will always be cold due to lack of sun. Cold water = nobody will use the pool.

• Spring cleanup cover removal will be a dreaded nightmare. Tons of leaves, etc.

* Equipment will be overworked.

• A pool near wooded areas means nails, slugs, salamanders, snakes, mice, birds, and occasional bats will end up in the pool or filter. Plus loads of insects.

Here's a pool that will stay warm and clean all by itself. No nearby trees means light-duty maintenance and less wear and tear on all equipment.

It'll take a good gusty rainstorm to blow a mess in this pool. Plus the cleanup after winter will be minimal.

inground-pools-121944.jpg

Here's a pool that can have minor issues with tree droppings but still get lots of sun to maintain warm water.

spacious-backyard-for-sport-ideas-curve-

No pool salesman will tell you this. They'll dig you anything you want in a jungle to make a sale. It'll be your problem after that.

And lastly, a pool with no diving board is like a pool table with no cue stick. Get at least a 10' board.

Thanks jetrider appreciate the tips  my situation is similar to the second picture my yard has only 1 tree its annoying neighbors that have the dirty out of control trees, the town told me I can cut anything hanging over my property line and that will happen before installation. 

FIBERGLASS POOLS SPECIAL

TheElegance.jpg
TheElegance
Length Width Shallow End Depth Deep End Depth
26' 3" 14' 6" 4' 3" 5' 10"

TheMonoccan.jpg
TheMoroccan
26' 11" 13' 6" 3' 7" 5' 3"

TheReflection.jpg
TheReflection I
26' 7" 12' 6" 4' 3" 5' 8"
TheTuscany.jpg
The Tuscany 
28' 5" 13' 6" 3' 9" 5' 

TheRivia.jpg
TheRiviera
26' 5" 12' 5" 4' 5' 4"

TheRoman.jpg
TheRoman
28' 4" 11' 6" 4' 5' 6"

Premium Features Included With This Package

• Composite Armour ™ Fiberglass Shell
  • Permit Preparation & Expediting
  • Excavation & Dirt Removal
  • Temporary Barrier Fencing & Post
  • Non-Corrosive Filter System – Oversized
  • Non-Corrosive 2HP Pump – Oversized
  • Automatic Surface Skimmer
  • Submerged Suction Outlet Drains
  • 2” Rigid Plumbing
  • Stone Bottom
  • Ladder & Railings
  • Electrical Wiring & Bonding
  • Automatic Time Clock
  • 3’ Natural Cement Decking

$35,995*

Sales Ends
June 30, 2016

PriceTag.jpg

On 6/16/2016 at 1:31 PM, rillo said:

Never knew there was such thing as a salt water pool. 

the only real salt water pool I ever took care of was for a guy with really bad eczema.  he swam hours every day, so he had a heater put in.  the salt ate the heater in 2 years.

chlorine salt generator pools use table salt at a low level, then have a little device to separate the Na from the Cl, giving you chlorine

On 6/18/2016 at 10:16 AM, Larz said:

I remember mowing the lawn at the hottest part of the day, getting covered in sweat and grass, and doing the nestea plunge in the deep end

what a feeling

That is my absolute # 1 reason for having a pool. nothing better than cutting the grass and then jumping in.

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

With the heatwave we are having my family wants me dead.

We put an above ground pool in years ago. Last year it reached the end of its life. I dismantled it, threw it out and we thought about not getting a pool again. We built our deck so we could leave the house, walk on the deck and it was at pool level.

So we were stuck with this weird deck and no pool. Really thought about being done with it. Then said screw it and we had a new pool put up late last summer.

We had a problem with the cover when we closed it and leaves got in it. We opened it up, got it all cleaned up, was a big chore, because there were so many leaves. Had it crystal clear for a week or two and then we got algae. Got that cleared up and then we had another problem. Wasn't sure what that was but turns out it was pollen.

The chemical levels have been perfect but the pool looked discolored.

Anyhow long story short, At Home Recreation just opened a store here and they are amazing. They helped us...phosphate remover to make sure algae has no food source. They told us to point the eye towards the floor away from the skimmer. That creates a whirpool effect and keeps everything off the floor.

Vaccumed tonight on waste and the POOL IS PERFECT.

We not have a maintenance plan chemical wise which is simple. At Home Rec does an amazing water test. I even bought an automatic vaccuum which is great.

So that is my way of saying even though it was a lot of work, we are really happy that we have a pool again. Our back yard is full sun so it warms up really quickly and my kids are in it all the time. Definitely glad we got a new pool again last year.

On 6/16/2016 at 10:35 PM, adb280z said:

I bought a house with an inground pool 5 years ago.  I have 2 kids (7 & 9)  I don't think I'd buy a house with a pool a 2nd time.  Lots of work and $ involved in keeping it clean and ready to use.

MY GF had a pool, a NICE pool, in ground.  I told her growing up in NY, very few people had a pool. I then "pontificated" that the 2 families I knew with pools, their kids grew up very dysfunctional.  WHY? The parents were more "its for the kids" type parents. They 

weren't mentors/teachers of their kids, they were care providers and wanted to be their buddy.  Yes, I know im an a$shole on this subject but I bet if a regression study was done, it would support my theory. :)

Archived