Swimming pool owners lets hear the pros and cons.

joewilly12

17 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I have nnnnnoooooo idea what that is.

if you have an existing plumbing system get one like this one.  you will have to size it according to your pump size.

http://www.inyopools.com/Products7/02200210000478.htm?gclid=CKGOoJyX280CFVVZhgodKUkGpg

inline is actually part of the return piping and needs a check valve or the chlorine will backfeed into the heater of filter when the pump is off.  the off line won't do that.  it is easy to install if you can drill a hole.  just make sure to put the inlet hose at the pump discharge (between pump and filter) and outlet hose after the last piece of equipment (heater or filter) on the pad.  I used to lol at people who put the chlorinator in and then install the outlet of the thing right into the inlet of the filter or even worse the heater

the only drawback to these little dudes is they bypass the filter if installed correctly so make sure to shut the control valve off when you are vacuuming if its really dirty or you will be wondering why the returns are letting little bits of leaves and letting cloudy water into the pool

otherwise I love 'em

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Maxman said:

Alright turns out I think we have a yellow algae. We were told to keep the phosphate level low (none) and that is the food source for algae. But that apparently is only part of the problem.  We test for that all that time now and it is okay but the pollen seems to be a minor issue.

I am taking everything @Larz said and running with it. We were putting the chlorine in the skimmer, so we just bought a floating chlorine dispenser. They told us to do a copper algecide treatment and we just took Larz's advice with the powder shock. Scrubbing the hell out of everything and then going to vacuum it all up.

Really want to get this right soon. Lauren starts chemo next week, so we aren't going to have a million free hours for maintenance. We did buy an automatic vacuum so we will keep letting that run more. Sounds like change the chlorine method, shock weekly, brush regularly and vacuum. Hope that does the trick.

Thanks guys!

Is your sand in the pump old-ish?

Had a big algae issue two years ago, and the sand was old and basicly not performing up to snuff. Changed the sand and it cleared up.

Good luck though, sucks!

On 7/4/2016 at 9:59 PM, BUM-KNEE said:

Is your sand in the pump old-ish?

Had a big algae issue two years ago, and the sand was old and basicly not performing up to snuff. Changed the sand and it cleared up.

Good luck though, sucks!

Two years, but will try that next just in case (if what we did now doesn't work).  Thanks!

On 7/3/2016 at 1:08 PM, Maxman said:

anyone have thoughts on the best way to get rid of algae from a pool keeps happening consistently and it's frustrating.

Copper Sulfate, put a handful in a sock tied on front of the filter effluent.

I work in the water plant in my town, and I could get my pool from disgusting dark green algae riddled water to crystal clear in 24 hours or less with the help of the chemicals from work, Aluminum Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Liquid Sodium Hypochlorite, and a little muriatic acid.

On 7/9/2016 at 2:56 PM, Lupz27 said:

I work in the water plant in my town, and I could get my pool from disgusting dark green algae riddled water to crystal clear in 24 hours or less with the help of the chemicals from work, Aluminum Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Liquid Sodium Hypochlorite, and a little muriatic acid.

I hope you didn't backwash into the lawn for a few days ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to thank everyone for all the help. We stopped putting the chlorine in the skimmer, it floats in one of those chlorine buckets in the pool. We did the copper algecide treatment weeks ago and vaccummed and we have been shocking it (powder) ever Sunday night.

It is perfectly clear now, no problems. Been getting the water tested regularly just to be safe as well as the home kit. We do a weekly maintenance routine of algacide and phosphate remover just to be safe.

So far so good. Really appreciate all the help!

1 hour ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

I'd say get the pool and then ponder whether the wife is worth the overall investment.

She is she puts up with me no really she's hard worker great job Masters Degree doesn't need me to afford the pool or maintain it an inground pool is a big decision to make a lot involved.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

She is she puts up with me no really she's hard worker great job Masters Degree doesn't need me to afford the pool or maintain it an inground pool is a big decision to make a lot involved.

Yeah but the wife makes it impossible to address the pool question. If strippers aren't the primary consideration it's kind of like deciding whether to eat without regard to whether you're hungry or not. 

2 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Yeah but the wife makes it impossible to address the pool question. If strippers aren't the primary consideration it's kind of like deciding whether to eat without regard to whether you're hungry or not. 

Are you married? If not you wouldn't understand.

Loving the pool this week. Lauren is recovering from the first dose of chemo and we have been relaxing in the pool just about every night. Really glad we got the pool again, couldn't imagine not having it. Especially in this heat.

13 hours ago, Maxman said:

Loving the pool this week. Lauren is recovering from the first dose of chemo and we have been relaxing in the pool just about every night. Really glad we got the pool again, couldn't imagine not having it. Especially in this heat.

Enjoy Max you and your family deserve this and more. 

Bad break for me I took the pool down and we get 1 of the hottest summers on record. 

Wife is livid with me and wants another pool ASAP 

11 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Enjoy Max you and your family deserve this and more. 

Bad break for me I took the pool down and we get 1 of the hottest summers on record. 

Wife is livid with me and wants another pool ASAP 

Plan early and have it ready to go on May 1st next year. :)

On July 22, 2016 at 1:40 PM, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Wrong . Hibernation.

Archived