revis ~ ~ ~

kelly

Metric Shows Age Doesn’t Hold Any Weight for the Jets’ All-Pro Corner

Darrelle Revisicon-article-link.gif  picked up right where he left off for the Green & White. In his first year back with the Jets, Revis accounted for the NFL’s lowest completion percentage allowed for passes into coverage, according to Pro Football Focus. Standing at 46.5%, it’s just another accolade for the seven-time Pro Bowler.

Darrelle Revis recorded the NFL's lowest completion percentage allowed (46.5%) in 2015 for passes into his coverage.

Revis ended the year with 9 PDs and 5 picks, one interception shy of tying his career high (2009). While the former AFC Defensive Player of the Year didn’t surpass any personal records through the air, he managed to do so on the ground – scooping up four fumbles, adding to his career-best 9 takeaways.Revis underwent offseason surgery in March to repair a torn ligament in his right wrist. While he is not expected to be on the field for Tuesday's start of mandatory minicamp, head coach Todd Bowles isn’t worried.

“He’s running, he’s doing everything he’s supposed to be doing and doing wrist exercise and he’ll be ready when he’s ready.”

>     http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Revis-Drives-Naysayers-out-the-Door-/93ca18e5-5a4f-4603-941b-a6d10f510351

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

And right after this season, it seemed like all some Jet fans could focus on was his soft coverage on Watkins in one game against Buffalo, his albatross of a contract and how he 'lost a step'.  

If you watched that game you know he was off, def not the #1 CB in the league on that day...

40 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Yep, PFF must have graded on a curve. They threw out the Houston and Buffalo games.

^^ slouch.  You have fallen off your troll

game as much as Revis. If you didn't post for the veteran minimal of nothing Max would let you walk . 

Those great stats didn't help him not sh*t the bed in the last game and help cost us the playoffs.  Funny how (at $16 mil, vastly overpaid) he gets a total pass on that massive fail on his part.  Because so many of our fans treat Revis like he's Justin Beiber and they're 12 year old girls swooning over him.  As much as any other player, he cost our 10 win season it'll 11th win and a playoff berth last year.

One wonders, given how good our Defense is, how much his stats are him, vs. the Defense around him carrying him and making opportunities for him as he gets slower and slower and less effective (and yet more expensive) with advancing age.  Stat whore all you like, he was no "Revis Island" last year, especially in that last game where he was more like dogsh*t island.

Revis is a servicable DB still, if he was being paid 7-9 mil a year. 

2 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:

If you watched that game you know he was off, def not the #1 CB in the league on that day...

Right. That was my point (kind off). He was off in one game and yet he had a great season overall. And I never said he was the #1 CB in the league. But I will say he is still one of the best. 

20 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Those great stats didn't help him not sh*t the bed in the last game and help cost us the playoffs.  Funny how (at $16 mil, vastly overpaid) he gets a total pass on that massive fail on his part.  Because so many of our fans treat Revis like he's Justin Beiber and they're 12 year old girls swooning over him.  As much as any other player, he cost our 10 win season it'll 11th win and a playoff berth last year.

One wonders, given how good our Defense is, how much his stats are him, vs. the Defense around him carrying him and making opportunities for him as he gets slower and slower and less effective (and yet more expensive) with advancing age.  Stat whore all you like, he was no "Revis Island" last year, especially in that last game where he was more like dogsh*t island.

You are being too harsh, IMO.

Its funny how you just said yourself- "as much as any other player". Right, as much as the rest of the team. The TEAM lost that game, not Revis, not FItz, not Thompkins (who dropped a sure-fire TD bomb. Revis had a good season and played very well for the most part- stats or no stats.

Was he Revis island, no. At least not in the sense that the QB would avoid him at all cost like they did when he was in his prime.

Is he worth the money he is getting paid- that's debatable, obviously the Jets were willing to pay him and its not like he had an awful season in comparison to his season with the Pats BEFORE the Jets signed him- so obviously the Jets though he was worth the money and he didn't nec. 'disappoint'. And statistically- regardless of how much they truly matter- he had a very good season for a CB.

The biggest weakness of the Jets defense last season was their inability to consistently get to the QB despite their talent on the D-line. So sure, its possible the defense helped Revis have a good season, but its also possible he could have done even better had the Jets actually had an effective pass rush without blitzing. So you can wonder all you want but your argument that the rest of the defense 'carried' him is flimsy at best. 

You sound unreasonably angry at Revis. I personally don't really get it. And I don't really get how you can blame a player for taking a big contract that is offered to him in FA.    

That post is dead on.

Nice to see there are some Jets fans who are not blinded by all the Revis "hype".

Dollar for dollar, he is the most overpaid player in the NFL.

34 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

That post is dead on.

Nice to see there are some Jets fans who are not blinded by all the Revis "hype".

Dollar for dollar, he is the most overpaid player in the NFL.

We're not supposed to post personal attacks so I'll just say that this statement is as ignorant as you would be if I were allowed to say it. 

There are many players getting a lot of money to sit on the bench Like Foles, and there are players like Easley who Bill paid 3 million dollars to go home. 

We're not supposed to post personal attacks so I'll just say that this statement is as ignorant as you would be if I were allowed to say it. 

There are many players getting a lot of money to sit on the bench Like Foles, and there are players like Easley who Bill paid 3 million dollars to go home. 

Foles is a QB, not a declining CB.

And you are comparing $3MM to cut ties with a player who can't stay on the field versus $17MM to a non-impact, non-game changing CB who's best days are well behind him?

And my post was ignorant?

Except when he was on the Patriots.

Revis started slow with the Pats, had a very good 5-6 game stretch mid season, and the floundered down the stretch and in the playoffs.

Hell, an undrafted rookie making $400K totally outplayed Revis when the games really counted.

9 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Yep, PFF must have graded on a curve. They threw out the Houston and Buffalo games.

Or as usual you're as loose with facts as you are with stats and what 1st year QBs look like at OTAs

Annoying shlt like that gets in the way of trolling sometimes, huh?

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Lol

Sadly, I don't think it's funny.

When it came down to it, our $3 mil. #2 Backup QB couldn't overcome his jag journeyman ways and lack of run support and couldn't beat a top 10 Defense.  Ok, criticism well earned.  

When it came down to it, our $16 mil, Franchise CB, Future HOF'er Defensive lynchpin.......couldn't stop a horrible Bills QB from making him his bitch.  All.  Day.  Long.

Decide for yourself who we should be more disappointed in.

9 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Foles is a QB, not a declining CB.

And you are comparing $3MM to cut ties with a player who can't stay on the field versus $17MM to a non-impact, non-game changing CB who's best days are well behind him?

And my post was ignorant?

Yes now even more ignorant than I had expected. 3 mil for 0 plays is < any price for actually making a contribution...dollar for dollar.

If you can't grasp that concept then you're really slipping into dementia.  

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Sadly, I don't think it's funny.

When it came down to it, our $3 mil. #2 Backup QB couldn't overcome his jag journeyman ways and lack of run support and couldn't beat a top 10 Defense.  Ok, criticism well earned.  

When it came down to it, our $16 mil, Franchise CB, Future HOF'er Defensive lynchpin.......couldn't stop a horrible Bills QB from making him his bitch.  All.  Day.  Long.

Decide for yourself who we should be more disappointed in.

Well first off Taylor isn't horrible (or wasn't last year, particularly for a first year starter).

Second, the QB gets the glory for the loss, and wants the positive recognition of being a starter, so he doesn't get the $3M backup excuse.

Thirdly, all that cushion moved the chains way more than we'd like, but it's not like it resulted in a 4-TD game for Watkins. Their offense put up 22 points, which should be overcome not pointing to how it's everyone else's fault, while he wants people to only see the upside of his numbers against a college schedule.

Lastly, Revis was part of a shortsighted spending spree and was a prize for Woody more than a shrewd signing. It was a Tannenbaum-esque thing to do: going balls deep on huge signings on older veterans without a worthy QB in place. Either allow this and maybe one other spending indulgence or spread around lots of veteran $$$ elsewhere; doing both resulted in what will be 2 straight seasons ('16-17) of standing on the sideline in free agency. A single 10-win season, which he couldn't expect without crazy bad opponent-luck, and enjoyable as it was at times, wasn't worth long-term responsible team building. 

Sure defense wins championships, as is often said, but I'd feel better if they did more of that big spending on offense. We're in search of a QB, and were last year as well. The best chance to give ourselves is to surround a kid with studs around him. We had the pair of wideouts, but the line needs help. I do like the multi-dimensional backs we have to this end. Anyway I think loading up on a beastier OL will help a kid's development far more than a few years of Revis (or one more year of Mo). 

Your line made me laugh all the same. 

— Sheldon Richardson was in a jovial mood on Tuesday, and really, who could blame him? The big defensive end is like a human tech company just waiting for the day he goes public on Wall Street, with the comforting knowledge that the market is only going up, up, UP! 

First, it was Olivier Vernon getting five years and $85 million from the Giants this offseason with $52.5 million guaranteed. Then, just on Monday, it was Fletcher Cox signing an extension with the Eagles that guarantees $63 million over the next six seasons. Von Miller, who is a far more dominant defensive player than both of them, is holding out in Denver. I can only assume, based on these contracts, that his asking price is similar to the GNP of a small South American country. And that he'll eventually get it, too. 

"It's a great time to be a defensive lineman in the league," Richardson told NJ Advance Media. 

It is decidedly less of a happy time if you're an NFL general manager trying to sign one of them. I think we can safely say this now: The Jets blew it by failing to lock up Muhammad Wilkerson to a long-term contract, a mistake they better not make with Richardson and, in a few years if he develops into the player everyone thinks he'll become, Leonard Williams. Wilkerson is, in every measurable way, a better player than Cox. He had more sacks in the last three seasons (28 to 16.5), more forced fumbles (five to four) and more passes defended (15 to 4). He is a proven commodity at a time when NFL teams (hello, Giants!) are so desperate for disruptive defensive linemen that they're willing to break the bank for their less accomplished peers. 

This isn't all on current GM Mike Maccagnan. His predecessor, popular piñata John Idzik, couldn't get a deal done with Wilkerson, either, and now the market has exploded to the point that they're almost certainly going to have to part ways with their best defensive player.It makes it easier knowing that Richardson and Williams are on the roster, and that Wilkerson — who they tagged as their franchise player — will be with them with a $15.7 million payday this year. But there is a possibility — maybe a likelihood — that the Jets could report to camp without their starting quarterback and their best defensive player. That isn't exactly a good development, because Wilkerson has to be looking at what the Eagles did and thinking, "What about me?" 

"I know I would (be)," Richardson said. "I understand what he's thinking. It's long overdue. Those things work themselves out in the long run." 

Richardson understands what the rising price tag means for the defensive line that Jets fans will see this season. "It means it's going to be tough to keep the unit together, to be honest," he said. "But we'll see."He also knows, if he avoids off the field issues and has another strong season, what it means for him. The Jets picked up the fifth-year option on his rookie contract for next season, a no-brainer. But would Maccagnan be wise to avoid the same acrimony with another defensive line stalwart and lock him up before then?I know, I know: The GM has enough on his plate. Ryan Fitzpatrick is hiding out somewhere in Union County, and with no signs that the impasse is going to end, his teammates are forced to pretend that they'll be just fine with Geno Smith throwing interceptions again.

Wilkerson isn't the biggest storyline in Jets mini camp this week, but the soaring prices for defensive linemen is among the biggest in the NFL this offseason, and the trend doesn't figure to change. Richardson pointed out that, while Cox "definitely deserved" his payday, it shouldn't have surprised anyone. "He's not the first guy to get a contract like that, you know?" Richardson said. "(Ndamukong) Suh got a contract like that. JJ (Watt) got a contract like that. Marcell Dareus got a contract like that."

And there are more to come ...

"Von Miller? He should get it all," Richardson said. "He finally had a healthy season and look what he did. He should definitely get more than (Justin) Houston out of Kansas City (who got $52.5 million guaranteed last summer). ... That defensive line (in Denver) won that Super Bowl.

"Guys are getting their just desserts," he said. "Some other guys got to get theirs, you know?"One of those "other guys" is No. 96 on your Jets roster, the best player on this defense. And, based on the way the Jets misplayed this one, it sure looks like he's going to get it somewhere else.    

>   http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/06/sheldon_richardson_mo_wilkerson_jets_contracts_pol.html#incart_river_index

On 6/14/2016 at 9:49 AM, kelly said:

Metric Shows Age Doesn’t Hold Any Weight for the Jets’ All-Pro Corner

Darrelle Revisicon-article-link.gif  picked up right where he left off for the Green & White. In his first year back with the Jets, Revis accounted for the NFL’s lowest completion percentage allowed for passes into coverage, according to Pro Football Focus. Standing at 46.5%, it’s just another accolade for the seven-time Pro Bowler.

Darrelle Revis recorded the NFL's lowest completion percentage allowed (46.5%) in 2015 for passes into his coverage.

Revis ended the year with 9 PDs and 5 picks, one interception shy of tying his career high (2009). While the former didn’t surpass any personal records through the air, he managed to do so on the ground – scooping up four fumbles, adding to his career-best 9 takeaways.Revis underwent offseason surgery in March to repair a torn ligament in his right wrist. While he is not expected to be on the field for Tuesday's start of mandatory minicamp, head coach Todd Bowles isn’t worried.

“He’s running, he’s doing everything he’s supposed to be doing and doing wrist exercise and he’ll be ready when he’s ready.”

>     http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Revis-Drives-Naysayers-out-the-Door-/93ca18e5-5a4f-4603-941b-a6d10f510351

In the original article it said Revis was the former AFC DPOY which hasn't existed since 1996.. Somebody did some quick editing..LOL

—As the Jets took the field for the first day of a three-day mandatory minicamp Tuesday, Darrelle Revis remained on his own island. The star cornerback did conditioning drills on a side field as his teammates took snaps and ran plays, still recovering from off-season surgery to repair a torn tendon in his right wrist. As much as the Jets want the seven-time Pro Bowler on the field when the regular season opens in September, his absence this week has its advantages. Mainly, it affords others in the secondary a chance to get more reps and serves to build the cornerback position around Revis as one of the Jets’ deepest. Defensive backs coach Joe Danna said the Jets have made a habit of putting Revis in difficult spots, relying for years on his elite ability to match up with top-level receivers.

“There are some tough matchups,” Danna said. “We don’t always give him a lot of help, but he’s made a career out of that.” But as last season wound to a close, it became apparent that the team wouldn’t be able to lean on Revis forever. In a season-ending 22-17 loss to the Bills, Revis was matched up with Buffalo’s top receiver, Sammy Watkins, on nearly every snap. Watkins caught 11 of the 15 balls thrown his way for 136 yards, and the Jets watched their playoff hopes evaporate. ‘We don’t always give him a lot of help, but he’s made a career out of that.’ —Defensive backs coach Joe Danna on Darrelle Revis Revis said he can’t worry about being targeted by opponents. “Offenses have their game plan and they choose to attack who they want,” he said. “I know what type of player I am.” But as he approaches his 31st birthday, the Jets know he needs more help than ever. Buster Skrine, the team’s nickel back last season, could get the chance to start on the corner opposite Revis, but he’s also a versatile asset in the slot.

“He’s had some experience on the outside so it’s not like he’s in foreign territory,” said Daylon McCutcheon, the team’s assistant defensive backs coach. “I know he’s excited about getting an opportunity to play a bigger role in the defense.” Also expected to play a bigger role this season is Marcus Williams, who led the Jets with six interceptions in 2015 despite limited playing time. “The scheme that we run fits him well,” McCutcheon said. Perhaps no player stands more to gain from extra off-season reps than cornerback Dee Milliner, the firstround pick of 2013 who has been limited to just 21 games in his first three seasons. On Tuesday, Milliner called the setbacks “frustrating,” and head coach Todd Bowles said he was happy just to have Milliner on the field. “The big thing is he is healthy,” Bowles said. “Hoping that continues once training camp starts.”

If the Jets want to remain dominant on defense, though, the most important player may still be No. 24. Revis, who hopes to be fully healthy when training camp begins late next month, said he couldn’t recall any specific play that caused his wrist injury, but that it occurred early last season and bothered him as he attempted to play through it. “I do a lot with my hands, especially playing defensive back,” he said. “I can’t really pinpoint whether I fell on the ground or was jamming someone while trying to get off the block.” Despite age and injury, Revis still held opposing quarterbacks to a 56.5 passer rating in 2015, the thirdbest in the league, according to Pro Football Focus. “I just tried to continue to play at a high level, for me,” he said. If all goes well for the Jets, they won't have to rely Revis as much as they have in the past. And for his part, Revis doesn’t see himself slowing down anytime soon. “I’m going to play, man,” he said. “Until the wheels fall off.”

>   http://prod.static.jets.clubs.nfl.com/assets/docs/clippings/2016/06-June/160615-daily-clips.pdf

He is a year older, a bit slower and probably more likely to break down simply because he is older. And he is overpaid. Still, he should be,  after recovery from  the injury,  a great cover CB. If he isn't well, the Jets will have wasted a serious chunk of cap on him and have a bad defense.

No matter-gibberish from Manish. I defy anyone to explalin the point of this...stuff...other than Manish must really want Revis to hate him-

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/revis-smart-cornerback-time-smart-adjustments-article-1.2673854

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis in decline? Cardinals cornerback Patrick Peterson doesn't think so.

"Still a shutdown corner, in my opinion," Peterson said of Revis, per USA Today.

Revis, who turns 31 next week, has taken heat for not being some kind of Super Corner after his return to the Jets in 2015. It's partly a function of the $39 million in guaranteed money he signed on for. But the criticism makes it seem as though Revis had never before been beaten for touchdowns, or that the rules instituted in 2014 that place a greater emphasis on flagging contact after five yards hasn't made the task of pass coverage more difficult.

Revis did get smoked last year by the Texans' DeAndre Hopkins, and he gave up nearly 100 yards in coverage in that gut-punch loss to the Bills at the end of the season, according to Pro Football Focus. The Jets were zone-heavy in that Bills game, however, and head coach Todd Bowles later said a lot of what went wrong that day wasn't entirely Revis' fault.There were also a few occasions in which receivers had Revis beaten, only to have the quarterback miss his target.

Oh, and Revis played nearly the entire season with a wrist injury he never reported, but that was still severe enough to surgery after the season ended. It'sstill unclear if Revis will be healthy when training camp begins in three weeks.

Still, though :

Lowest 2015 completion percentage allowed by CBs (min 60 targets)
1. Darrelle Revis, 46.5
2. Patrick Peterson, 47.7
3. Richard Sherman, 48.4

Lowest NFL QB rating against for CBs last season:

1. @J_No24, 54.0
2. @Trujohnson2, 55.0
3. @Revis24, 56.5
4. @QRollins2, 58.4

Peterson didn't elaborate to USA Today on the subject of Revis, but he did weigh in on who he thought was the top cornerback in the league.

"At the end of the day, I know I'm the best," Peterson said. "I know I can get in the face of the receiver and I mean much more to my team versus those guys to their team."

Who's the best corner in the NFL is a debate for another time, though.Bowles has said more than once since the end of last season that he still thinks Revis is an elite-level corner. Peterson seems to agree. There's enough evidence out there to suggest they're not wrong.

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/07/patrick_peterson_jets_darrelle_revis_still_a_shutd.html#incart_river_index

I was watching Revis during the Patriots game and he was mostly singled up against Gronkowski and was shutting him down.   As soon as they had someone else cover Gronk in the 4th quarter he burnt us bad on a couple of big plays.  We need Revis, he still is the most dominant player on this team.  He may not be able to cover a couple of the best and fastest receivers in the league on his own (Hopkins, Watkins), but not many WRs are at that level.  With help over the top and faster LBs underneath and Cromartie moving on, we should improve this year. 

Archived