who were the Worst coaches in jets history ? ? ?

kelly

Last week we took a look at the best coaches in Jets history. Now let's look at the bottom of the barrel. Who were the worst coaches in Jets history ?

5. Pete Carroll

People will likely vehemently disagree with this because of the success Carroll subsequently had at USC and with the Seahawks. That's kind of the point, though. You're using things outside his Jets tenure to defend him. Before Carroll had success as a coach, he had to go through his Belichick in Cleveland phase. It started with the Jets. Carroll didn't seem like he had control over the team. He did weird things like put in abasketball court near the practice facility. On the field, the team fell apart. He was at the helm during the fake spike game. People forget the context of the game. First place was on the line. The Jets blew a 24-6 lead in that game. They didn't win another game for the rest of the season, earning Carroll a ticket out of town. Carroll eventually grew up as a coach. He learned from his mistakes in future jobs, but he learned on the Jets' time.

4. Bruce Coslet

Coslet never posted a winning record in four seasons with the Jets. One legendary comment made about Coslet is, "He talked .600 and coached .400."

Here is a great story about the Coslet days.

In 1990, Bruce Coslet refused to come downstairs from his office in Weeb Ewbank Hall to speak to reporters, claiming he was too busy. So he conducted aconference call instead. Peter Finney, The Post beat writer at the time, asked Coslet with the first question, "Bruce, why are you doing this?’’ Coslet claimed he didn’t have time to walk downstairs because he was working a short week after a 30-7 Monday night loss to the Bills.

He was fired in 1993 after the Jets collapsed down the stretch. Needing a single win to make the Playoffs at 8-5, the Jets lost their last three games to miss the postseason.

3. Charley Winner

Winner replaced the greatest coach in franchise history, Weeb Ewbank. His 9-14 record doesn't tell the whole story. After starting 1-7 in his first year, the Jets rallied to win their last six to finish 7-7. The Jets were hopelessly out of the race because of their start. Could this string of meaningless wins at least give them momentum for 1975? No, they started 2-7, and Winner was fired.

2. Rich Kotite

After the Jets fired Carroll, they hired Kotite. Kotite lost his final seven games with the Eagles, but he did have a winning record with Philly. It wasn't like he was a total catastrophe. Unfortunately, he was just that for the Jets, winning just four games in two years. I think all you need to know about Kotite is he finished 1-15 with the Jets in 1996. Bill Parcells went 9-7 with almost the same team a year later.

1. Lou Holtz

Holtz was a great college coach, and he was a fun analyst on ESPN. As Holtz himself said upon leaving the Jets, "'God did not put Lou Holtz on this earth to coach in the pros.'' For his part, Holtz acted like he was still in college. He was such an authoritarian that he had the players line up by size for the national anthem. He even wrote a fight song for the Jets. He didn't even make it to the end of his first season in which he only won three games.

>    http://www.ganggreennation.com/2016/6/20/11974484/who-were-the-worst-coaches-in-jets-history

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Bill Parcells belongs on both the "Best Coaches" and "Worst Coaches" lists tbqh.

why is that? I think this is about just coaching not his abilities as a GM type.  a strictly a coach he may be the best.

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

why is that? I think this is about just coaching not his abilities as a GM type.  a strictly a coach he may be the best.

Not even close.  His teams consistently disappointing outside 1998, and while he did change the franchises course from the previous era of doom, he also butt****ed us in a whole myriad of ways after his early premature departure, a departure that ensured the greatest (cheatingest)  coach of all time went to our rival instead of staying here.

Best and worst personified in one man, no doubt about it.

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Not even close.  His teams consistently disappointing outside 1998, and while he did change the franchises course from the previous era of doom, he also butt****ed us in a whole myriad of ways after his early premature departure, a departure that ensured the greatest (cheatingest)  coach of all time went to our rival instead of staying here.

Best and worst personified in one man, no doubt about it.

huh? he only coached here 3 seasons, he took over a franchise that was the laughing stock of the league and went 1-15 in 1996.  His first year in 1997 he had us at 9-7, our FIRST winning record in 11 years.  the next year he had us on the doorstep of the SB, year 3 was a disappointment but we lost a million guys to injury that year including the QB who led us near the SB a year earlier.  Putting that aside, he changed the culture of the franchise and we became a winning franchise for many years after him.  Mediocre/bad GM but all time great HC,

I get the BB part, I get the bad things that happened w/ parcells but strictly as a coach he was one the best, if not THE best, in franchise history.

9 minutes ago, SpartanJet said:

Rex has to be in the top 3 worst along with Kotite and Herm.

obviously, include BP, Weeb, Walt Michaels in there too.  

I am assuming this is a joke, I hope it is.  putting Rex and herm in the same category as Kotite?

giphy.gif

Since I was there for all of these coaches, I agree with the last four coaches on the list. In fact, what the article does not say is that Lou Holtz quit before the season ended. Charley Winner was Weeb's son-in-law and the team went from contenders to pretenders on his watch. However, IMOP, hands down Kotite was THE worst of all time. For 5th worst, I would say it was BB who was the coach for one day and took a $million from Leon Hess so he would stay on after Parcells and then left for NE.

In no way shape or form should Rex be on this list. He's in our top 5 coaches despite all his faults we had back to back years of afc championship games. That's bad? With that said he needed to get fired but still. 

Also bill belichick is one of the worst. 

59 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

huh? he only coached here 3 seasons, he took over a franchise that was the laughing stock of the league and went 1-15 in 1996.  His first year in 1997 he had us at 9-7, our FIRST winning record in 11 years.

Which is why the coaches before he got here, Coslet and Kotite, deserve to be on the list.  They vastly under performed their talent.

Todd Bowled turned a pathetic and sad 4-12 team into a 10-6 team.  No one would call him one of our greatest Coaches if he went 12-4 next year (no title) and then 7-9 then quit, leaving us in cap hell with a ton of over the hill players while pushing his future HOF Coach Assistant to the Phins, say. 

The Parcells idol worship is one of the worst things about being a Jets Fan.  Bill took a team vastly better than it's record indicated, spent a billion dollars on old free agents to bolster it, and had one solid turnaround year (that could have been better), one truly great year and one very disappointing year.

Putting that aside, he changed the culture of the franchise and we became a winning franchise for many years after him.

"Change the culture" is a Fan term.  What it usually means is "he won more than the last guy".  I hear Bowles "changed the culture" from Rex too...

Mediocre/bad GM but all time great HC,

Horrific GM is more apt.  he sold the Jets future out for his little run, and the shockwaves of his bad contracts and worse drafting were something we lived with for quite some time.

The fact we managed to be good ~50% of the time post-Parcells is more on the Coaches and GM's after Parcells, not Parcells "changing the culture".

I get the BB part, I get the bad things that happened w/ parcells but strictly as a coach he was one the best, if not THE best, in franchise history.

He mishandled something that led, directly, to a future HOF, Multi-Super-Bowl-Winning, Possible GOAT Head Coach going to our northern rival.

No amount of "culture change" nor a single fun 12-4 season can make up for that.  For that flash, we've suffered more than a decade of our Division being "The Pats and those other guys with no chance".  That's on Bill and Bill alone.

Bill was a very good Coach with some very obvious flaws, who was a very short-timer here, and left us in a horrible position when he quit like the quitter he is.

I think the more interesting point is that the the coaches mentioned here were hired pre-Woody.

HESS was a disaster at hiring management.   Im no REX fan but he is not top 3 worst when that list has available Kotite, Coslett, Holtz.

But for me..its Kotite by a wide margin then interchange Coslett,Holtz.

19 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Todd Bowles for sure, but Mac hasn't been any help to him either. Other than that, and I'm not sure where they rank Rich Kotite was by far and away the worst HC I ever saw.

are you on drugs?

36 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No amount of "culture change" nor a single fun 12-4 season can make up for that.  For that flash, we've suffered more than a decade of our Division being "The Pats and those other guys with no chance".  That's on Bill and Bill alone.

Bill was a very good Coach with some very obvious flaws, who was a very short-timer here, and left us in a horrible position when he quit like the quitter he is.

It was his proclaimed short-timer status(He said he would coach for just 3 years) that stopped him from having any thought of promising Peyton he would be the choice if he came out.. Unlike his time with the Pats where he took Bledsoe with the 1st pick in the draft.. Had the Tuna had a long time tenure in mind his picks and the future of the Jets would have been much brighter..

33 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I think the more interesting point is that the the coaches mentioned here were hired pre-Woody.

HESS was a disaster at hiring management.   Im no REX fan but he is not top 3 worst when that list has available Kotite, Coslett, Holtz.

This is a very good observation.  As bad as we dump on Woody, nothing IMO compares to how badly things were managed under Hess's ownership with Steve Gutman as president.  Absolute zero football knowledge.  They made the Wilpons look like sports masterminds...

54 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Which is why the coaches before he got here, Coslet and Kotite, deserve to be on the list.  They vastly under performed their talent.

Todd Bowled turned a pathetic and sad 4-12 team into a 10-6 team.  No one would call him one of our greatest Coaches if he went 12-4 next year (no title) and then 7-9 then quit, leaving us in cap hell with a ton of over the hill players while pushing his future HOF Coach Assistant to the Phins, say. 

The Parcells idol worship is one of the worst things about being a Jets Fan.  Bill took a team vastly better than it's record indicated, spent a billion dollars on old free agents to bolster it, and had one solid turnaround year (that could have been better), one truly great year and one very disappointing year.

"Change the culture" is a Fan term.  What it usually means is "he won more than the last guy".  I hear Bowles "changed the culture" from Rex too...

Horrific GM is more apt.  he sold the Jets future out for his little run, and the shockwaves of his bad contracts and worse drafting were something we lived with for quite some time.

The fact we managed to be good ~50% of the time post-Parcells is more on the Coaches and GM's after Parcells, not Parcells "changing the culture".

He mishandled something that led, directly, to a future HOF, Multi-Super-Bowl-Winning, Possible GOAT Head Coach going to our northern rival.

I stopped reading after this:

Todd Bowled turned a pathetic and sad 4-12 team into a 10-6 team.

such a silly statement and again you keep talking about BP not as a coach but as an exec, the discussion is about COACHING not the other stuff.

33 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I stopped reading after this:

such a silly statement and again you keep talking about BP not as a coach but as an exec, the discussion is about COACHING not the other stuff.

Because he wasn't "just a Coach", and trying to separate the two under his reign is dishonest at best.

If we're just talking "Coaching" he was just ok.  One great year with a metric boatload of talent, two disappointing years where his Coaching couldn't overcome his poor decisions as a GM (or worse, he made bad decisions as a Coach that led to the disappointment, Rick Mirer anyone?)

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Because he wasn't "just a Coach", and trying to separate the two under his reign is dishonest at best.

If we're just talking "Coaching" he was just ok.  One great year with a metric boatload of talent, two disappointing years where his Coaching couldn't overcome his poor decisions as a GM (or worse, he made bad decisions as a Coach that led to the disappointment, Rick Mirer anyone?)

as a coach he was brilliant here.

how was going from 1-15 to 9-7 and a chance at the playoffs a disappointment?

how many coaches could have kept that 1999 team from quitting and get to .500?

34 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

as a coach he was brilliant here.

how was going from 1-15 to 9-7 and a chance at the playoffs a disappointment?

how many coaches could have kept that 1999 team from quitting and get to .500?

Lol, you can't debate against fanboi fantasy. 

3 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Do you give Tony Sparano the same credit for taking a 1-15 team to 11-5 and making the playoffs in 2008 with a QB that the Jets cut?? 

different era, never won a playoff game w/ Miami, never got close.  we hadn't had a winning record in the previous 10 seasons before BP, we didn't have a record below .500 w/ BP.  he never finished the job and did a poor job as GM but as a coach? incredible.

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

different era, never won a playoff game w/ Miami, never got close.  we hadn't had a winning record in the previous 10 seasons before BP, we didn't have a record below .500 w/ BP.  he never finished the job and did a poor job as GM but as a coach? incredible.

Mangini never won a playoff game and many think he was a good HC..

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

you mean reality. I ask again, how was 1997 a disappointment? 

The Parcells Era, taken as a whole and in hindsight analysis, was a disappointment.

1997, taken alone, in the moment, was a material improvement after a long, dark era.  Similar improvements have happened with every new Head Coach since then, to be fair.

Parcells cost us Payton Manning, arguably the GOAT.  Parcells cost us Bellichek, arguably the GOAT.  Parcells had a Super Bowl-level of talent and made the playoffs once then quit when it got hard.  Parcells left us hamstrung, poor and with a multitude of overprices, over-the-hill players and a pretty bad Head Coach.  

A Coach who costs us the best QB and Head Coach era due to to mismangement, and quit before he accomplished anything leavign the team in cap hell shambles, is not great.  

One transition/rebound year, one great year, one horribly disappointing year and gone.  He got us away from the worst era, but he's not to credit for any of the era that came after he was gone (the Herm Era and beyond).  He was great (in 1998) with great talent, but overall did little long-term except make some fans into fanbois because of the timing (more than the actual facts) of his Era here.  ANY legitimate NFL Coach coming in could have done what he did here, we simply couldn't see that in the moment because of how deeply bad Kotite/Coslet had been. 

Archived