who were the Worst coaches in jets history ? ? ?

kelly

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Not on any level was Coslett better.  Not even close

Herm was an inept buffoon void of coaching skills that guy by charm and likeability on an inherited, stacked team.  

Coslett was a real coach,  he just was not very good coach. 

There were far more head scratching,  wtf moments with herm imo

11 hours ago, chirorob said:

I've met players who were on that team.  They HATED him.  You don't need the players to like you, but they should respect you, and can't hate you.

To a man, they hated him.

Mangini is such a great coach yet he's sucked horribly everywhere and is not even in the NFL now.

Patsfantx track record evaluating coaches is almost as horrific as his Qb evaluation body of work.

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

Herm was an inept buffoon void of coaching skills that guy by charm and likeability on an inherited, stacked team.  

They were both equally mediocre

15 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

Not only did Walton accomplish nothing, but he drove the team downward while the HC.

Not sure that makes him the worst, compared to the likes of Kotite, but he certainly deserves consideration as the most frustrating, given the factors you mention.

Idk if he's the worst but Walton tops my list of most hated coaches with the cheater a close second.

The others either didn't have the players, the intelligence, or the stones to be good. 

1 hour ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Idk if he's the worst but Walton tops my list of most hated coaches with the cheater a close second.

The others either didn't have the players, the intelligence, or the stones to be good. 

I see your point.  Kotite was too pathetic to be truly hate-worthy.  But Walton is an excellent candidate for most hated.  Also a classic case of the Peter Principle at work.  A pretty good OC who was terrible as an HC. 

4 hours ago, HighPitch said:

a team so stacked they had missed the playoffs the 2 previous season

2 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

I see your point.  Kotite was too pathetic to be truly hate-worthy.  But Walton is an excellent candidate for most hated.  Also a classic case of the Peter Principle at work.  A pretty good OC who was terrible as an HC. 

Kotite is the worst coach that's ever existed not only in football but any sport.

In Philly Randall Cunningham used to ignore his play calls and would just improvise.  The '96 team actually had a decent roster he just had no idea. He had a career because he's a nice guy in person and was part of the good OL' boys club

40 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

a team so stacked they had missed the playoffs the 2 previous season

The '99 team would have won the super bowl if Vinny hadn't gotten injured and the 2000 team was good they just choked and Al Groh alienated everyone

2 hours ago, drdetroit said:

The '99 team would have won the super bowl if Vinny hadn't gotten injured and the 2000 team was good they just choked and Al Groh alienated everyone

The '99 team may have made a run, we don't know.  it was not as good as the '98 team, he made some bad moves that offseason.

2000 was 6-1 and blew it, didn't even make the playoffs.  Vinny was not the same(and neither were his weapons) and we allowed him to throw and throw and throw.  in 2001 they limited his throws which limited his TOs and we made the playoffs.  coaching was the difference btw missing the playoffs in 2000 and making it in 2001.

On 6/20/2016 at 11:48 AM, SpartanJet said:

Rex has to be in the top 3 worst along with Kotite and Herm.

You must be too young to remember Joe Walton who in his first game as HC was caught on camera on the sidelines picking his nose. From that point on my family refers to him as pick, lick and flick. Kotite may have been the worst HC in NFL history and the Jets were supposed to be his 'dream job'. Coslet wasn't horrible, he just didn't get any players from Dick Steinberg in his first three years. Rob Moore was the best player Steinberg drafted until Mo Lewis and Jones. Missed on Brett Favre which is unforgivable. 

21 hours ago, Savage69 said:

You used to call him Ratgini so that wasn't his only mistake according to you..;)

I called him Mangina. His mistake was trying to be too much like Belichick and NOT drafting Joe Flacco when he had broken wing Chad Pennington as his starter. Screw getting a one year Favre, he should have gone after a future franchise QB and he went after an all time bust in Vernon Gholston.

On 6/21/2016 at 3:08 PM, peebag said:

Robots can't have opinions 

pee - pEEEEEEEEEEE !..

10360696_10203586648420799_1291337525070

..................................................... YOU ^ ^  finally woke up ! ! 

:rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

You must be too young to remember Joe Walton who in his first game as HC was caught on camera on the sidelines picking his nose. From that point on my family refers to him as pick, lick and flick. Kotite may have been the worst HC in NFL history and the Jets were supposed to be his 'dream job'. Coslet wasn't horrible, he just didn't get any players from Dick Steinberg in his first three years. Rob Moore was the best player Steinberg drafted until Mo Lewis and Jones. Missed on Brett Favre which is unforgivable. 

to be fair, he was caught picking his nose pretty much every game and he did win that first game on the road at what was supposed to be a tough san Diego team.

Rob Moore was drafted in 1990, Mo in 1991.  he didn't necessarily miss on Favre, Atl traded ahead of us and I don't think favre would have survived here.

4 hours ago, drdetroit said:

They would have had to beat the Greatest show on Turf the Rams were scoring almost 33 points a game..:unsure:

Despite the hostility out here.  No way on God's green earth do Herm or Rex belong in this list.   

Insanity.   One coach got us to the playoffs so long as his QB was healthy and Rex almost got us to a SB!!!

Worst coaches!!!

For example Kotite didn't know the players on his own team or would cut practices short to go golf!!!

On June 21, 2016 at 1:38 AM, Mainejet said:

Race card? That's complete nonsense. I could go into the legitimate reasons why I do not care for Bowles as a HC, but I've mentioned them more times to the point that I no longer care to repeat them. We'll just have to see how things work out. At least this season, I see him coaching a team that loses more games than wins, with a less than desirable roster.

It is simple based on last year alone your position is utterly preposterous!!!

Bowles may turn out to be an awful HC  but only a nut would say he was awful last year that he belongs in same breath as Kotite.  

Jets fans

Good Grief☺️

5 hours ago, nyjunc said:

to be fair, he was caught picking his nose pretty much every game and he did win that first game on the road at what was supposed to be a tough san Diego team.

Rob Moore was drafted in 1990, Mo in 1991.  he didn't necessarily miss on Favre, Atl traded ahead of us and I don't think favre would have survived here.

The reason we didn't have a first in 1991 for Farve was Rob Moore cost a 1st in the supplemental draft..Wolf would have taken Farve with a 1st pick if we had one.. 

14 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Herm took the team to better records and to the playoffs 3 put of 5 seasons.  Coslet never finished above .500

Coslet was way over his head.  Don't know if I've ever heard anyone anywhere refer to Coslet as a real coach. 

I dont know about that, If Vinny had not gotten hurt we probably wouldve come up short in typical Jet fashion at the hands of Parcells 2 big free agent signings that year...S Steve Atwater and TE Tim Green, 2 awful signings

On June 23, 2016 at 11:13 PM, Rexorcism said:

I dont know about that, If Vinny had not gotten hurt we probably wouldve come up short in typical Jet fashion at the hands of Parcells 2 big free agent signings that year...S Steve Atwater and TE Tim Green, 2 awful signings

Green sucked but Atwater was fine.

That team was stacked they went 8-8 with Rick Mirer and Ray Lucas at qb

On June 23, 2016 at 5:48 PM, Charlie Brown said:

Despite the hostility out here.  No way on God's green earth do Herm or Rex belong in this list.   

Insanity.   One coach got us to the playoffs so long as his QB was healthy and Rex almost got us to a SB!!!

Worst coaches!!!

For example Kotite didn't know the players on his own team or would cut practices short to go golf!!!

I think Herm would be a better college coach than pro.  I don't know why he never tried 

Rex I can see why so many people love to hate him.  He has his limitations but he's excellent at defensive X's and O's.  If he gets fired after next season he'll have 5-6 job offers to be DC

On 6/23/2016 at 8:38 PM, Savage69 said:

The reason we didn't have a first in 1991 for Farve was Rob Moore cost a 1st in the supplemental draft..Wolf would have taken Farve with a 1st pick if we had one.. 

On 6/23/2016 at 8:38 PM, Savage69 said:

we had a chance to get Favre anyway if we moved up, we sat back and Atl moved up but again I think favre would have been a disaster here.

Archived