Dynamic Duo: Can Marshall and Decker Repeat?

JetNation

Marshall-Decker

Can Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker Live up to the Hype?

Not since the likes of Keyshawn Johnson and Wayne Chrebet have Jets fans had a pair of receivers as explosive and exciting as Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker. Marshall and Decker were the first Jets wide receiver duo to both hit the 1,000 yard mark since 1998. The last two were none other than Johnson and Chrebet. Last season Brandon Marshall broke all types of Jets’ single-season records including: receiving yards (1,502), catches (109), and 100-yard games (10). He also tied the team record for touchdowns (14). While Marshall broke team records, Decker had an impressive season with 80 catches for 1,027 yards and 12 touchdowns. The tandem combined for 189 catches, 2,529 yards, and 26 touchdowns in 2015. Their league-leading season solidified their spot as one of the top wide receiver duos in the league. The question now is can they do it again?

As of right now, and possibly as training camp rolls around, Marshall and Decker will have Geno Smith throwing them the football. Many fans see Smith as a significant downgrade from Fitzpatrick, but that might not be the case. Smith definitely has the upper hand in the arm strength category, and many forget that Smith was actually outplaying Fitzpatrick in last year’s training camp. It could also be argued that Smith never really had an adequate supporting cast around him. For a good portion of his rookie season Jeremy Kerley and Stephen Hill were the top targets. To be fair to Fitzpatrick though, he did set records for the Jets last season too. Fitzpatrick set the record for most touchdown passes by a Jets quarterback with 31. Fitzpatrick has also developed good chemistry with Marshall and Decker which is important for things like timing, and trust. Even with Fitzpatrick back in the building, he only has so many years left to be the guy. If Geno Smith does get the nod, it will be interesting to see what he can do with a vastly improved receiving group. Either way, the quarterback situation will play a significant part in whether or not the dynamic duo can duplicate such a productive season.

The addition of seasoned running back Matt Forte will provide another dimension for the offense this season. Forte has reached both 1,339 yards rushing and 808 yards receiving for his season highs. Unlike his predecessor, Chris Ivory, Forte is just as dangerous catching the ball out of the backfield as he is running it. Forte also spent many years playing with Brandon Marshall in Chicago. Having Forte will help free up Marshall and Decker, but at the same time could eat away at their potential receptions. Another factor could be age. Marshall is 32 years old, and while he had a great season last year he could start to decline over the next couple of years. Or he could hold off father time a little bit longer and continue to play at a top-tier level. Decker on the other hand, will be looking to eventually emerge into the number one wide receiver spot once Marshall begins to decline. All things considered, Jets fans will be hoping the duo have yet to hit their peak. They’ll get their first glimpse July 27th once training camp begins.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
hRurzgQAbhQ

Click here to read the full story...

There is no way Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker duplicate last year success.  It doesn't have anything to do with either Wr ability( still one of the better starting Wr duo in the NFL ),  or who the Qb is.

The biggest reason will be much better defenses the Jets will face this year. The Jets faced a lot of bad pass defenses in 2015.( numbers reflected that) .

how will the Jets offense line hold up in 2016?    This might be the most important one to watch?     Clady can't bounce back, or can't stay healthy things could get ugly on offense fast.

No.  Not because they're not awesome but because it's extremely hard to duplicate that type of production.  The league rarely sees to WR go for 12+ TD's on the same team. 

I cant think of a WR duo who consistently produced at that level year over year since Holt and Bruce...but they also had a HOF QB throwing to them and I dont think they ever had that type of a season together.

Also, Forte being around, Amaro, Smith and Peake...I think the ball get distributed more.  Especially if its not Fitz out there. 

7 hours ago, New York Mick said:

No ******* chance. Without Fitz they're going to be running the **** out of the ball. 

I dunno man. I think Geno will be chucking it quite a bit in that offense. Yes, they will run the ball. But that offense is suited nicely for short, high percentage throws- perfectly suited for Geno, especially if he can stretch the field once in a while with a deep pass. 

But, as everyone else seems to confirm, the ball will be distributed way more with Forte, Powell (both an catch) and Amaro healthy. I also think one of our depth guys will take hold of that #3 WR position and be utilized more often and more effectively this season.  

These Jetnation writers are so pro Fitz it's disgusting.  Nice job trying to hide it thou with the sentence that states what Geno might be able to do better only to finish with "that might depend on who the QB is" wonder what that means.

42 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Geno Smith will increase those numbers and make them better WRs most of all we will make the playoffs and win a Super Bowl. 

Interesting Bowles just told Marshall to get his weight down and speed back. Geno can actually hit Marshall on deep routes, where Marshall usually had to settle with back shoulder routes or alter his stride to come back to fitz ducks.. https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydailynews.com/amp/sports/football/jets/todd-bowles-tells-brandon-marshall-lose-weight-article-1.2682348?client=safari#

38 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Interesting Bowles just told Marshall to get his weight down and speed back. Geno can actually hit Marshall on deep routes, where Marshall usually had to settle with back shoulder routes or alter his stride to come back to fitz ducks.. https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydailynews.com/amp/sports/football/jets/todd-bowles-tells-brandon-marshall-lose-weight-article-1.2682348?client=safari#

Yup.  Definitely some telling news there.  If Fitz were coming back, Bowles would probably be taking Marshall and Decker (and the rest of the WR corps) out to Dairy Queen daily.

No need for speed with Fitz.

16 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

There is no way Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker duplicate last year success.  It doesn't have anything to do with either Wr ability( still one of the better starting Wr duo in the NFL ),  or who the Qb is.

The biggest reason will be much better defenses the Jets will face this year. The Jets faced a lot of bad pass defenses in 2015.( numbers reflected that) .

how will the Jets offense line hold up in 2016?    This might be the most important one to watch?     Clady can't bounce back, or can't stay healthy things could get ugly on offense fast.

No way.  

Nothing more off base than a Raiderholic predictions.

why don't you just worry if you offense can duplicate or better what it started a year ago.

It will be tough to match such a good statistical season for the pair of recievers, but they can certainly repeat it regardless of the quarterback.

They were the feature players in an offense designed around their strengths. There is no reason to believe Gailey will be making any big changes following a top 10 season.

3 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

These Jetnation writers are so pro Fitz it's disgusting.  Nice job trying to hide it thou with the sentence that states what Geno might be able to do better only to finish with "that might depend on who the QB is" wonder what that means.

Word...I hate all the JetNation "writers".

8 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

With Smith, not a chance in hell.  But even with Fitz they will have Amaro who goddamn better well catch a lot of passes, and Forte.  The overall O will be more effective, but their individual stats will be hard to replicate.

I shall not attempt to post more than this.  

This my opinion 100%

3 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Interesting.  Marshall showed solid speed last year.

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

No way.  

Nothing more off base than a Raiderholic predictions.

why don't you just worry if you offense can duplicate or better what it started a year ago.

See last year  prediction of the Jets CB position being a question mark last year.( remember how nuts you were, and thought my prediction was crazy talk.( yet if you examine what I said - risky to invest that much in older cb's on wrong side of thirty ( Revis and Cromartie), and how Cromartie and Skrine ( big Wr give him major trouble) would be liabilities.    

Pretty much was spot on  my prediction. So laugh all you want about this prediction too, but let's see how far off this prediction is also.

Btw There is no reason I need to worry about Raiders offense.   Let's see upgraded the offense line big time( K Osemele addition-  giving them one  of the best offense lines in the league) , emerging young Qb ( Derek Carr) , and the maturation of Amari Cooper.( Much different body type now  ( man body) + more comfortable in the offense / himself.  

Due to leg injury for a good part of the second half of last,  Amari Cooper numbers were no where they would have been .( basically was a decoy as the leg injury robbed him of his speed and his route running - two best qualities that make him elite Wr.)  He stays healthy and he easily surpasses last year numbers.

1 hour ago, Raideraholic said:

See last year  prediction of the Jets CB position being a question mark last year.( remember how nuts you were, and thought my prediction was crazy talk.( yet if you examine what I said - risky to invest that much in older cb's on wrong side of thirty ( Revis and Cromartie), and how Cromartie and Skrine ( big Wr give him major trouble) would be liabilities.    

Pretty much was spot on  my prediction. So laugh all you want about this prediction too, but let's see how far off this prediction is also.

Btw There is no reason I need to worry about Raiders offense.   Let's see upgraded the offense line big time( K Osemele addition-  giving them one  of the best offense lines in the league) , emerging young Qb ( Derek Carr) , and the maturation of Amari Cooper.( Much different body type now  ( man body) + more comfortable in the offense / himself.  

Due to leg injury for a good part of the second half of last,  Amari Cooper numbers were no where they would have been .( basically was a decoy as the leg injury robbed him of his speed and his route running - two best qualities that make him elite Wr.)  He stays healthy and he easily surpasses last year numbers.

So you were spot on? Now what did you predict exactly for the Jets defense? 

4th in yardage? 9th in points? 10 wins. Are these right about where you had them pegged? 

4 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

See last years prediction being partially true due to injury.  The Jets secondary still isn't a concern.  Revis is still a top corner.  The safeties are really good.  The other corner spot will be easily filled.  If you think they're liabilities you're the problem. 

Youve been around crowing about e Raiders being a better team than the Jets since the last century and now are saying you're spot on? 

ok. 

Youre a regular Nostradamus 

On June 22, 2016 at 8:29 AM, Jet Nut said:

See last years prediction being partially true due to injury.  The Jets secondary still isn't a concern.  Revis is still a top corner.  The safeties are really good.  The other corner spot will be easily filled.  If you think they're liabilities you're the problem. 

Youve been around crowing about e Raiders being a better team than the Jets since the last century and now are saying you're spot on? 

ok. 

Youre a regular Nostradamus 

Well Jmo your wrong, there aren't that  many questions on the Jets defense( very good unit).    The CB position definitely has to be the biggest question mark still on their defense.   Revis is another year older , on the wrong side of thirty- those players skills can start to slip and fast.   He still an upper tier CB right now, and is the least of the Jets problems.      It's the other Cb's that you have to be concerned with.  Buster Skrine - due to his size , tall Wr's always give him major problems.   The Jets don't even know who will be starting opposite Revis at this point. Nah that isn't a concern right- Dee Milliner coming on? 

Another area of concern for the Jets defense has to be the pass rush.    Counting on a lot of guys who really haven't done it at the NFL level yet.  ( talking more outside lb's as defenseline has shown it isn't enough to put consistent pressure on the Qb.

The Jets defense has improved in some areas,  but should take a step back as they are facing much better teams this year.  Jmo It won't be a top five defense this year.  Still should be a top ten defense- no shame in that.

2 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Well Jmo your wrong, there aren't that  many questions on the Jets defense( very good unit).    The CB position definitely has to be the biggest question mark still on their defense.   Revis is another year older , on the wrong side of thirty- those players skills can start to slip and fast.   He still an upper tier CB right now, and is the least of the Jets problems.      It's the other Cb's that you have to be concerned with.  Buster Skrine - due to his size , tall Wr's always give him major problems.   The Jets don't even know who will be starting opposite Revis at this point. Nah that isn't a concern right- Dee Milliner coming on? 

Another area of concern for the Jets defense has to be the pass rush.    Counting on a lot of guys who really haven't done it at the NFL level yet.  ( talking more outside lb's as defenseline has shown it isn't enough to put consistent pressure on the Qb.

The Jets defense has improved in some areas,  but should take a step back as they are facing much better teams this year.  Jmo It won't be a top five defense this year.  Still should be a top ten defense- no shame in that.

Ok.  Corner is a concern to you.  You're wrong but good for you.  Love the idea that Revis is slipping fast.   Amazing how injuries can cloud what a player has left.  Even one who's still, injuries and all a top player at his position.  Better than anyone your team lines up at CB.  

LB is an unknown.  We'll have to see, they're trying to get younger and faster.  Let's see if that happens and that they improve.  

Until they step back, please stop with your annual comments about the D taking a step back, you've been saying that as long as you've posted here and on JI.

On 6/21/2016 at 5:00 AM, JetNation said:

Can Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker Live up to the Hype?

Dont know if they can replicate the numbers, but there aint no hype involved.

They are the best WR tandem this franchise has had in a long fvcking time. 

4 hours ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Dont know if they can replicate the numbers, but there aint no hype involved.

They are the best WR tandem this franchise has had in a long fvcking time. 

Toon and Walker were better. Their numbers may not reflect that (I'm not looking at them), but they were MONEY. Take a look see for yourself....

1 hour ago, Mainejet said:

Toon and Walker were better. Their numbers may not reflect that (I'm not looking at them), but they were MONEY. Take a look see for yourself....

And Toon and Walker were a long fvcking time ago, it was pretty evident in my post.

Work fvcking with me here, or shut your fvcking cvnt up. 

Archived