NFLN : Revis Best Jets' Defender Ever ~ ~ ~

kelly

Elliot Harrison, an NFL Network Media Analyst, deemed seven-time Pro Bowler Darrelle Revisicon-article-link.gif as thebest defensive player to ever don a Jets' jersey.“Revis has been the best corner in the league for most of his career, which includes seven years in New York,” Harrison said. “Literally, the best. No other Jet can claim that at his position.”

In addition to a career-high nine takeaways in 2015, Revis also posted the NFL’s lowest completion percentage allowed for passes into coverage, according to Pro Football Focus (46.5%).Revis is recovering from offseason surgery to repair a torn ligament in his right wrist, but he expects to be ready for training camp. In fact, he participated in individual drills in minicamp.  

“I’m going to play, man,” Revis said. “Until the wheels fall off, hopefully. We’ll see.”

>  http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/NFLN-Revis-Best-Jets-Defender-Ever/0755640d-96b6-42fe-bc17-026b96899d4d

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Least efficient defender based on production vs. cost is more like it.

Each one of his 5 INT's last year cost us 3+ million.

Over-rated, over-hyped and overly-expensive.  We'd be better off with a 8-10 mil/year level CB and 6-8 million to spend on the rest of the roster.

And made-up stats aside, he wasn't in the ballpark of "Best CB in NFL" last year, or his previous year with the Jets.  Perfect example of over-hyped, he was pedestrian in actuality 2015, at least before the made-up stats guys make up a few stats to make him look better.

14 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

No surprise, from 2009-2011 (except for a few games in 2010 when he was injured) he was the best defensive player I've ever seen.

Of course, Klecko is 2nd on the list.

best cover corner of all time in those years. No one has ever played the position better than revis in those years.

Just now, nyjunc said:

he's not only our best defender ever he's our best PLAYER ever. 

You can certainly make that case. I would agree with you, I'm sure others will say no.  But I'm with you 

6 minutes ago, jett said:

You can certainly make that case. I would agree with you, I'm sure others will say no.  But I'm with you 

that's what we are here for, we don't all have to agree.  what fun would it be if we did all agree?

57 minutes ago, jett said:

That 2009 season might be the best season I have personally ever seen from a player. I'll never forget what he did that year. A real travesty that he didn't win DPOY. 

it was a complete joke Woodson won it, Woodson is a great playmaker with the ball in his hands but he got beat plenty.  revis dominated like I have never seen a corner dominate against the best in the game.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Over-rated, over-hyped and overly-expensive.  We'd be better off with a 8-10 mil/year level CB and 6-8 million to spend on the rest of the roster.

And made-up stats aside, he wasn't in the ballpark of "Best CB in NFL" last year, or his previous year with the Jets.  Perfect example of over-hyped, he was pedestrian in actuality 2015, at least before the made-up stats guys make up a few stats to make him look better.

I think the amount of money he gets/got paid should have absolutely nothing to do with the discussion about how good of a player he was/is. 

Over-rated, over-hyped- fine, that's your opinion. His salary? That has nothing to do with this thread.   

IMO- Gastineau and Klecko made more of an impact for a longer period of time on the Jets. So, to me, they should be ahead of Revis.

But Revis is certainly up there, and IMO, he is one of the best man cover CBs EVER, along with the likes of Deion Sanders.

And you wanna pay Fitz exactly how much??

Are you ever happy?

Funniest line is that the made up stats.  This from someone who kept a thread proclaiming Fitz the best since Namath due to a meaningless TD record.

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Are you ever happy?

Funniest line is that the made up stats.  This from someone who kept a thread proclaiming Fitz the best since Namath due to a meaningless TD record.

cut Revis, pay Fitz!:lol:

Best defender in football in '09 & '10. Possibly best pure cover corner of all time. Was on his way to becoming my favorite NY Jet ever - even despite all of the money stuff. 

To look back now in 2016 and call him a NY Jet though...that's tough. He was a huge part of the pats* winning a couple of years ago. Will never forgive him for that. 

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

He played for the Bucs and the ******* Patriots.  He's not a Jet.  He's a merc.

Namath played for the Rams, it happens.  we decided not to pay him, I don't blame any player for trying to get as much as they can.  

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

Namath played for the Rams, it happens.  we decided not to pay him, I don't blame any player for trying to get as much as they can.  

Just now, SenorGato said:

To be fair - these things happened because the Jets are a garbage franchise.

I know, I know...we did trade him and all that, it just stings he has a ring with Cheatriots.

That said, he's definitely the best defender of my life time.

22 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Klecko was good for a long period of time but revis was amazing for a short time

I mean he had the lowest completion % in the league this year n has been a a regular top 3 in completion against from day one. Not sure if 7 years are a "short time"

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

IMO- Gastineau and Klecko made more of an impact for a longer period of time on the Jets. So, to me, they should be ahead of Revis.

But Revis is certainly up there, and IMO, he is one of the best man cover CBs EVER, along with the likes of Deion Sanders.

Except revis not only tackles, he is exceptional at it

Some by their comments don't seem to realize just how good Revis has been as a Jet.   

He is not only the best defensive Jets of all time but he is in the real discussion of the greatest defensive player in NFL history!!

That is how good he has been especially in this era of don't touch the WR. 

Revis overrated......

Come on now!!!

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

You're not paying for "production" from shutdown CB's like revis, and that idea is laughable. you seem to lack a basic understanding of what's happening the game if it's not in the box score. you seem like a bright guy, use your head a little bit here

45 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

He wasn't great every season. 

Leading the league in completion % is an average feat I guess. Oh n he's been a 5 time all-pro so he had to be a top 2 CB each of those 5 years. Had he repeated his 2009 season a few times, he would've been the best defender ever on any team. Don't compare his historically great season to any of his other great seasons. 

40 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

+1

In one or two he was merely very, very, very good.

Lol I didn't know there was a category called "very very very good". One would assume the next best category after very very good would be great but apparently not. 

1 hour ago, j4jets said:

Leading the league in completion % is an average feat I guess. Oh n he's been a 5 time all-pro so he had to be a top 2 CB each of those 5 years. Had he repeated his 2009 season a few times, he would've been the best defender ever on any team. Don't compare his historically great season to any of his other great seasons. 

revis was on a pace to being the greatest CB of all time before the injury. Deion did more with the ball in his hands, but revis was a more complete player. shadowing the top receiver all over the field, a good and willing tackler, and this is in the modern era where DB's can't make half of the contact with receivers downfield that they were able to in the old days

Archived