NFLN : Revis Best Jets' Defender Ever ~ ~ ~

kelly

15 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

No surprise, from 2009-2011 (except for a few games in 2010 when he was injured) he was the best defensive player I've ever seen.

Of course, Klecko is 2nd on the list.

Klecko was not even the best on his own DL,

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets make sure the word was is in the statement ... "Cushion" is currently paid a ridiculous amount of $$$ vs. passes defended and it obviously hurts our team in other areas. 

16 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

While not the Revis of '09-'11he was still and top corner in '15.  I believe his groin and wrist injuries last year affected his play.  I am looking for a better season this year from Revis.

Me too.  He was injured especially in the second Bills game, which hurt the team, but there's no reason to think he can't/won't bounce back.

Klecko would be my strong second choice.

28 minutes ago, Rexorcism said:

not even close ro the same, do I need to clarify?

yeah Joe was washed up finishing out his overrated career in LA, revis was in his prime as the best cover corner in history and we decided not to pay him.

yeah Joe was washed up finishing out his overrated career in LA, revis was in his prime as the best cover corner in history and we decided not to pay him.

You're such an argumentative PIA...Revis won a Super Bowl with the Patriots, its like taking back a slut girlfriend, it'll never be the same as it was and it isn't

5 minutes ago, Rexorcism said:

You're such an argumentative PIA...Revis won a Super Bowl with the Patriots, its like taking back a slut girlfriend, it'll never be the same as it was and it isn't

the Jets did it to him not the other way around, can't blame the player.  I am glad he is back, he's the best player we have ever had.  it's a shame he had to spend other seasons with different teams.

Revis is the best CB to ever play the game. So being the best defender this team has ever had kind of goes without saying. He is a shut down corner when shut down corners no longer exist in the league anymore. he's a first ballot hall of famer and rightfully so. He is a true difference maker.

19 hours ago, j4jets said:

I mean he had the lowest completion % in the league this year n has been a a regular top 3 in completion against from day one. Not sure if 7 years are a "short time"

Especially in this league with all these pansy rules that favor the offense and wide recievers. I hope the Jets can pay it forward a little bit, reach his quality as a player on a franchise wide scale, and get him the late and post career accolades he should get. Guys like Law and Woodson were thriving in their 30s, no reason Revis can't or won't if the Jets can play 21st century ball on offense.

17 hours ago, cant wait said:

You're not paying for "production" from shutdown CB's like revis, and that idea is laughable. you seem to lack a basic understanding of what's happening the game if it's not in the box score. you seem like a bright guy, use your head a little bit here

To each their own.  

Revis, IMO, isn't close to worth what we have paid for him over the years.  He has not won games in numbers commensurate with his % of the Salary Cap, and (personally) I think his reputation does more for him than his actual skills, because QB's are (wrongfully IMO) afraid to throw in his direction.  Buffalo put paid to my theory last year in the final game when Revis torched all day long and helped cost us the playoffs.

One above average overpaid cornerback doesn't win Super Bowls.  The modern NFL doesn't need one supposed "shutdown" corner, it needs defense-in-depth at CB, with 4-5 simply good enough cornerbacks to cover the multiple sets.  Revis is very good (at times) but his cost removes money we should be spending on other positions and on vital much needed depth.

Proof is in the pudding, Revis has never in his career as a Jet been a major factor in making or winning playoff games.  Our record if we had an average CB and all that spare cap money would be no worse than it's been with him.

This isn't about paying Fitz, it's about proper balance in talent and cap management.  Revis is a perfect example of a flashy Rex/Wood/Fanboi move.  Overpay for declining talent and skills, for a "big name" that gets tons of hype and attention, but doesn't win us more games.

Ask yourself this, if Revis is so great, can he stop his now underpaid #2, #3 and #4 CB's for being burned all day with his skills and 16 million in salary cap space?  If not, he's overpaid and under performing, and the money wasted on his "name" is better spent making all the CB's deeper and better.

Jets Pass D in the Revis Era:

2015:  13th in Yards Allowed, one spot better than the year before without Revis.

2012:  2nd in Yards, 10th in TD's allowed, Revis was hurt almost the entire year (played 2 games).

Face it, paying a CB money more suited to a franchise QB is a misuse of funds, and unnecessarily weakens you everywhere else you could have been spending that cap space.

Goes on to list two years

Face it, paying a CB money more suited to a franchise QB is a misuse of funds

You understand that you have to have a franchise QB to pay a QB franchise money, right? It was crushing just paying Sanchez decent QB money when they did, at which point the same people making this same ridiculous point whined about paying a QB.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

To each their own.  

Revis, IMO, isn't close to worth what we have paid for him over the years.  He has not won games in numbers commensurate with his % of the Salary Cap, and (personally) I think his reputation does more for him than his actual skills, because QB's are (wrongfully IMO) afraid to throw in his direction.  Buffalo put paid to my theory last year in the final game when Revis torched all day long and helped cost us the playoffs.

One above average overpaid cornerback doesn't win Super Bowls.  The modern NFL doesn't need one supposed "shutdown" corner, it needs defense-in-depth at CB, with 4-5 simply good enough cornerbacks to cover the multiple sets.  Revis is very good (at times) but his cost removes money we should be spending on other positions and on vital much needed depth.

Proof is in the pudding, Revis has never in his career as a Jet been a major factor in making or winning playoff games.  Our record if we had an average CB and all that spare cap money would be no worse than it's been with him.

This isn't about paying Fitz, it's about proper balance in talent and cap management.  Revis is a perfect example of a flashy Rex/Wood/Fanboi move.  Overpay for declining talent and skills, for a "big name" that gets tons of hype and attention, but doesn't win us more games.

Ask yourself this, if Revis is so great, can he stop his now underpaid #2, #3 and #4 CB's for being burned all day with his skills and 16 million in salary cap space?  If not, he's overpaid and under performing, and the money wasted on his "name" is better spent making all the CB's deeper and better.

2015:  13th in Yards Allowed, one spot better than the year before without Revis.

2012:  2nd in Yards, 10th in TD's allowed, Revis was hurt almost the entire year (played 2 games).

Face it, paying a CB money more suited to a franchise QB is a misuse of funds, and unnecessarily weakens you everywhere else you could have been spending that cap space.

2012 our offense was dreadful, teams didn't have to pass so those #s are skewed as well as how good our D was.  Revis is worth every penny he is paud, he was not himself last year but still as good as any corner out there. 

last year we scored a lot, the D was on the field more facing more pass attempts b/c we had leads or games were close unlike 2012 and 2014 where we were blown out almost weekly.

in 2014 opponents passed 538 times for 3746 yds w/ 31 TDs and 6 INTs

In 2015 opponents passed 601 times for 3763 yds w/ 25 TDs and 18 INTs

HUGE difference

In 2012 opponents passed 494 times for 3036 yds, 20 Tds and 11 INts

over 100 less pass attempts and in mostly blowout games.

avg pt differential in games:

2012: -5.8

2014: -7.4

2015: +4.6

HUGE differences

by the way in the first 3 games that revis played in 2012 we were 2-1 and +6 in pt differential, in the last 13 games w/o him we were -100 but nah, he didn't make any difference.

Predictable Fanboi being Fanboi because Jets Fans are so desperate for someone, anyone out there to say a NY Jet is "great", we'll overpay such a player anything he wants.

He's a question, how many Jets Super Bowl MVP's does Revis have so far?

Right, same as an average Cornerback would have, piss all.

Enjoy getting worked up about it, if you like, but I'd rather have 16 million/year in Cap Space than one whens-the-next-holdout-coming Revis.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Predictable Fanboi being Fanboi because Jets Fans are so desperate for someone, anyone out there to say a NY Jet is "great", we'll overpay such a player anything he wants.

Enjoy getting worked up about it, if you like, but I'd rather have 16 million/year in Cap Space than one whens-the-next-holdout-coming Revis.

LOL

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

what does this mean?

Revis had one of the best seasons in NFL history in 2009. He's been very good over the course of his career. He's also never been a high interception guy or ever contributed as a returner. Overall, he's not in the Deion or both Woodson  category that gets you in first ballot. His interception total is way too low to offset doing nothing as a returner.

24 minutes ago, Warfish said:

To each their own.  

It's laughable when you compare Revis to the Jets pass D because, you know, there are usually 3, 4 or even 5 passing options each passing play we aren't really paying him to cover 5 pass catchers a play. I mean, that's kinda obvious but you never know what a guy is thinking when he talks about managing the cap but is willing to give a 'never-has-been' journeyman QB $12 mil a year when we have no cap. 

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Revis had one of the best seasons in NFL history in 2009. He's been very good over the course of his career. He's also never been a high interception guy or ever contributed as a returner. Overall, he's not in the Deion or both Woodson  category that gets you in first ballot. His interception total is way too low to offset doing nothing as a returner.

Name recognition for the win.  Its a popularity contest and he is popular.  He will get in first ballot for the "Revis Island" tagline alone.  They should get the little dude from Fantasy Island to announce him. 

Just now, The Crusher said:

Name recognition for the win.  Its a popularity contest and he is popular.  He will get in first ballot for the "Revis Island" tagline alone.  They should get the little dude from Fantasy Island to announce him. 

Yeah, you could be right. He's marketed himself pretty well for a guy who doesnt score touchdowns. 

24 minutes ago, Warfish said:

To each their own.  

I don't think the jets have overpaid revis before last season, prime revis 09-11 he was absolutely the most valuable player the jets had. especially for the system the jets were running at the time, the jets were near the top of the league in sacks and without a real pass rush those were coming largely from coverage. it still is mind boggling why Tampa made that trade and then stuck revis in a cover 2 system, for a team like that it definitely does not make sense to pay a CB big money, but for the jets he was a game changer and the team likely wouldn't have been contenders without him 

26 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

2012 our offense was dreadful, teams didn't have to pass so those #s are skewed as well as how good our D was.  Revis is worth every penny he is paud, he was not himself last year but still as good as any corner out there. 

last year we scored a lot, the D was on the field more facing more pass attempts b/c we had leads or games were close unlike 2012 and 2014 where we were blown out almost weekly.

in 2014 opponents passed 538 times for 3746 yds w/ 31 TDs and 6 INTs

In 2015 opponents passed 601 times for 3763 yds w/ 25 TDs and 18 INTs

HUGE difference

In 2012 opponents passed 494 times for 3036 yds, 20 Tds and 11 INts

over 100 less pass attempts and in mostly blowout games.

avg pt differential in games:

2012: -5.8

2014: -7.4

2015: +4.6

HUGE differences

by the way in the first 3 games that revis played in 2012 we were 2-1 and +6 in pt differential, in the last 13 games w/o him we were -100 but nah, he didn't make any difference.

Got 'em

21 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

he is a better cover corner than those guys(MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better than Woodson) but those guys were better playmakers with the ball in their hands which can be overrated b/c those guys also got beat much more than revis.

43 minutes ago, j4jets said:

It's laughable when you compare Revis to the Jets pass D because, you know, there are usually 3, 4 or even 5 passing options each passing play we aren't really paying him to cover 5 pass catchers a play.

OVERpaying him, to cover one WR (he certainly doesn't cover the Pats TE's very well).

Leaving alot less money to pay the guys covering the other 4 WR's/TE's/RB's, the guys rushing the passer, or the guys playing LB.

43 minutes ago, j4jets said:

I mean, that's kinda obvious but you never know what a guy is thinking when he talks about managing the cap but is willing to give a 'never-has-been' journeyman QB $12 mil a year when we have no cap. 

Except I don't want to pay Fitz 12 million dollars.  

the Jets did it to him not the other way around, can't blame the player.  I am glad he is back, he's the best player we have ever had.  it's a shame he had to spend other seasons with different teams.

Not even gonna get into this ridiculous discussion with you...you are dumb as shlt and you prove it everyday...salute

9 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Woodson wasn't a shutdown corner, just like Ty Law wasn't. These are flashy guys that hit burned all the time and were playing with far lenient rules. Deion had an even easier task back then. The only thing he had on Revis is his return skills. Revis has one of the best closing speed in the game n was the best cover corner pre injury. Even post injury, he's been spectacular. People talk about the 2nd Bills game n how he played Watkins but how was Watkins first time around? He was bitch slapped the entire game. In the 2nd game, I blame Bowles for playing conservative the entire game. 

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

OVERpaying him, to cover one WR (he certainly doesn't cover the Pats TE's very well).

Leaving alot less money to pay the guys covering the other 4 WR's/TE's/RB's, the guys rushing the passer, or the guys playing LB.

Except I don't want to pay Fitz 12 million dollars.  

When you don't have a franchise QB making 20+ mil a year, you have to invest the money elsewhere to be a good team. And shutdown corners have their own market. Revis is not overpaid. 

On 6/21/2016 at 4:55 PM, JiF said:

He played for the Bucs and the ******* Patriots.  He's not a Jet.  He's a merc.

In that case so  was the compiler who was drafted by the Pats and would have played for the Cowboys when the Tuna was there if his contract could have been voided like the first one he had with the Jets..:wacko:

9 hours ago, j4jets said:

When you don't have a franchise QB making 20+ mil a year, you have to invest the money elsewhere to be a good team. And shutdown corners have their own market. Revis is not overpaid. 

Yes, agreed.

I would not invest it in a single 16 mil. per year CB.  it puts too much value in one position that does not, in and of itself, win games.  The return on investment, in my opinion, is too small.

I would prefer to spread that money around on higher quality at the #1 thru #4 CB positions, to better and more broadly deal with modern NFL 4+ WR Set Offenses.  I would rather spread some of that money to the D-line, the LB's, to improve the pass rush.  Put simply, I would use that money (or much of it) to put forth a better, deeper defense at the cost of not having a single so-called "shut down" corner who can't cover a #1 WR with the playoffs on the line.

There is an argument to be made that Revis may have been worth those kind of numbers early on, fine, I can accept that.  He is not worth those numbers now.  JMO.

hurl insults instead of state a case.  that's all I need to know.

Typically, that's what you deserve because you are always chiming in with some obvious info that everybody knows and you think that you're proving some kind of point...Here's a little tip, you don't need to be answering every post in every topic....Sheesh.

Archived